Off-Topic Florida now has Michelin Guide

SpikeUM

Head Meshuggah
Premium
Advertisement
How many restaurants on the list have you been to? Also asking of @JeddTheFisch and others.

I periodically go to Zak the baker; I would go more often, but its such a zoo that I have to be in the mood to tolerate.
I've been to Tigre, Zak, Havana Harry's, Versailles, Sanguich (in one of my old neighborhoods).

I'm a dive bar person. I'm not interested in fancy restaurants at all.

I also think Versailles has been garbage for years in terms of actual product.

Advertisement
@SWFLHurricane @TheOriginalCane

Last year was actually the first year. It was ok, which I think sums up most of the Michelin Guides. There are some cities that are made for it. I don't think Miami is (Los Angeles is not either), in that Michelin was always geared towards your fine dining, multi course prix fixe menus of French, Italian, or more recently Japanese food. Miami has had the omakase explosion recently, but the best food down there is just not the type the guide gravitates towards. The only place that got two stars in the state is essentially a world-wide chain (Atelier de Joel Robuchon).

I have heard Boia De is excellent and they got one star.

I've been to Tigre, Zak, Havana Harry's, Versailles, Sanguich (in one of my old neighborhoods).

I agree on Versailles. In general though, it appears to me that food quality and quantity has gone way down since Covid, and prices have gone up.

Last year was actually the first year. It was ok, which I think sums up most of the Michelin Guides. There are some cities that are made for it. I don't think Miami is (Los Angeles is not either), in that Michelin was always geared towards your fine dining, multi course prix fixe menus of French, Italian, or more recently Japanese food. Miami has had the omakase explosion recently, but the best food down there is just not the type the guide gravitates towards. The only place that got two stars in the state is essentially a world-wide chain (Atelier de Joel Robuchon).

I have heard Boia De is excellent and they got one star.
@SpikeUM, to illustrate, I do not know what any of the bold means. I can look it up, but I do not actually know as I type this.

I don't walk in Michelin Guide circles at all.

@SpikeUM, to illustrate, I do not know what any of the bold means. I can look it up, but I do not actually know as I type this.

I don't walk in Michelin Guide circles at all.
It mainly means the Michelin guide was always more geared to places like the French Laundry in Napa, Le Bernadin in NYC, sushi places that do 15 courses of nigiri with other dishes, etc. You sit down, your choice may be do you want the regular tasting menu of 7 courses or chef's tasting of 12, and do you want wine pairings or get a bottle. That's not Miami outside of a huge number of those sushi type of spots.

The biggest issue I had with the Miami places were there were 11 places that got stars in Miami. Six of them were off-shoots of national places. That is laughable.

Advertisement
How many restaurants on the list have you been to? Also asking of @JeddTheFisch and others.

I periodically go to Zak the baker; I would go more often, but its such a zoo that I have to be in the mood to tolerate.
Just a couple...I wish they included Marina Cafe on Destin Harbor (unfortunately not open anymore) I was an Executive Sous Chef there from 1988-1991...working under Executive Chef Tim Creehan, who is the best I've worked under since 1981. You can Google Chef Tim Creehan and read about his accolades. He destroyed every Chef in Fl in 4 straight Governor Cup Challenges back in the day.

I looked up Creehan. He has a restaurant, catering business, and a self-branded sauce.
I've known Tim since 1988....he started out as a Prep Cook in Louisiana in the Late 70s. (Mind you, he never went to Culinary School) he was taken under the wing of Jim Altamura, who eventually opened Marina Cafe in 1987, with Tim as his Executive Chef.
What Tim did with Fusion cooking in the 80s was a sight to behold. Best I've ever seen.

Advertisement

How is Versailles on their list??? I’ll have to look at it. I’m assuming that it’s a mention not a star.

Advertisement
I agree on Versailles. In general though, it appears to me that food quality and quantity has gone way down since Covid, and prices have gone up.
Over the past 3 years I cook more at home than I ever did..... Honestly I like it more.... I mean don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with hitting a spot now and again but as you said things got stupid... Home is where it's at for me....

Advertisement
Back