Off-Topic Florida now has Michelin Guide

@JeddTheFisch ...there was another Restaurant on Destin Harbor in the mid-late 80s called Flamingo Cafe....The Executive Chef was a friend of mine (Angelo Mango) who was extremely talented in his own right. I'd meet him for Drinks after work at A.Js on the Harbor many times.
Makes me want to take more trips to the Panhandle.

Advertisement
Makes me want to take more trips to the Panhandle.
@JeddTheFisch @SpikeUM...Look Man...the Restaurants in Destin from 86-96 were incredible. From Marina Cafe, Flamingo Cafe...and even a place called Prescotts, who had a young Executive Chef (22yrs old) who was the talk of the town for 2yrs. The owners were so enthralled with him, they eventually named the restaurant Prescotts (was something else originally) after Joe Prescott the young Dynamite Chef. The catch was, if he ever left Prescotts, he couldn't Chef within a 50mile radius (signed contract)....Welp, low & behold, he got into it with the owners in 1990...and left, not to be seen again. What a shame, because the kid was all that & more.

Advertisement
@JeddTheFisch @SpikeUM...Look Man...the Restaurants in Destin from 86-96 were incredible. From Marina Cafe, Flamingo Cafe...and even a place called Prescotts, who had a young Executive Chef (22yrs old) who was the talk of the town for 2yrs. The owners were so enthralled with him, they eventually named the restaurant Prescotts (was something else originally) after Joe Prescott the young Dynamite Chef. The catch was, if he ever left Prescotts, he couldn't Chef within a 50mile radius (signed contract)....Welp, low & behold, he got into it with the owners in 1990...and left, not to be seen again. What a shame, because the kid was all that & more.
So Joe Prescott was like the Eddie Wilson (Eddie and the Cruisers) of Panhandle culinary artists?

So Joe Prescott was like the Eddie Wilson (Eddie and the Cruisers) of Panhandle culinary artists?
He was something else. @RVACane All the restaurants around Destin Harbor had the freshest Seafood imaginable. You had the Kelly Docks and Jody Docks where all the fishing and shrimping boats were docked. (Till this day) if you ordered Seafood at any of the establishments mentioned, odds were it was caught that day. Creehan used to meet the boats in the a.m...and pick out the Fish he'd use that night, and plan the menu accordingly. Up the street was (and still is) Sextons Seafood Market. Former FSU RB Coach Billy Sextons brother Jimmy owned it. Best Seafood imaginable. The Shrimp (Ruby Reds, Gulf Whites, and Tiger Prawns were the best I've ever dealt with. And don't get me started on the Fresh fish...Snapper, Grouper, Cobia, Pompano..etc...

Ad Hoc was great when I went.

I like Ad Hoc. My favorite in Napa was probably Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen but it closed 4-5 years back. I don't think it ever got a Michelin star, just her more famous Napa restaurant (Mustard Grill). Charlie Palmer's restaurant at Harvest Table Inn is solid. La Toque the most overrated IMO.

San Francisco has a ton of phenomenal options, too. Saison is probably my personal favorite at the moment.

On the list, I've done Cote, Stubborn Seed, Ariete, Red Rooster, Michael's Genuine, Zak the Baker, and Knife & Spoon. Cote and Stubborn Seed are the SoFlo ones I highly recommend.

I love Michaels Genuine, last went about a month ago, and the prices were simply insane, NY level and of course the portions were smaller. I also dont think its quite the same since they did the expansion.

Advertisement
I like Ad Hoc. My favorite in Napa was probably Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen but it closed 4-5 years back. I don't think it ever got a Michelin star, just her more famous Napa restaurant (Mustard Grill). Charlie Palmer's restaurant at Harvest Table Inn is solid. La Toque the most overrated IMO.

San Francisco has a ton of phenomenal options, too. Saison is probably my personal favorite at the moment.
Do you follow Ulterior epicure on instagram? He is this guy who was an attorney but was passionate about food at the right time in the days of social media. Anyhow, he got a big following, quit his job and became a luxury food and hotel photographer. He gets hired by all the Relais & Chateau properties and similar restaurants where he has become friends with the chefs (including Saison). Before it burned down he would stay at Meadowood every year to photograph the 12 days of Christmas dinners. Great follow for travel and food envy.

Do you follow Ulterior epicure on instagram? He is this guy who was an attorney but was passionate about food at the right time in the days of social media. Anyhow, he got a big following, quit his job and became a luxury food and hotel photographer. He gets hired by all the Relais & Chateau properties and similar restaurants where he has become friends with the chefs (including Saison). Before it burned down he would stay at Meadowood every year to photograph the 12 days of Christmas dinners. Great follow for travel and food envy.
No, but I'll definitely have to look it up. As an attorney myself, this would be the dream, lol.

Same. He actually worked at my firm before quitting the life. My firm sponsor was the one that told him to pursue his passion. Dude gets paid to stay and eat at Blackberry Farm multiple times a year. Sigh.

I wonder who is the lawyer for the Chicken Ranch? Better yet, the auditor?!?

Advertisement
I wonder who is the lawyer for the Chicken Ranch? Better yet, the auditor?!?
Definitely should not have googled that on my work computer lol.

On a totally unrelated note, I have always wanted to franchise Chicken Kitchen out of South Florida but have heard their corporate management is an absolute disaster.

@JeddTheFisch @RVACane @SpikeUM ....
Uh Oh.....Don't look now, I'm at it again.....
20230213_115527-jpg.229832

Attachments

• 20230213_115527.jpg
    20230213_115527.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
@SpikeUM I don't know if Indian food is your thing, but if you go to any baseball games this year and are not trying to get into a thumbwar at Titanic, check out Ghee. He was the Executive Sous at Michael's Genuine, used to have the same place in Wynwood, and then opened this place in Dadeland. He has his own farm that grows a bunch of the vegetables for the restaurant, and it is absolutely killer. I have heard he also does dinners where he cooks over open fire at the farm as well.

Advertisement
@SpikeUM I don't know if Indian food is your thing, but if you go to any baseball games this year and are not trying to get into a thumbwar at Titanic, check out Ghee. He was the Executive Sous at Michael's Genuine, used to have the same place in Wynwood, and then opened this place in Dadeland. He has his own farm that grows a bunch of the vegetables for the restaurant, and it is absolutely killer. I have heard he also does dinners where he cooks over open fire at the farm as well.

I love Indian food, thank you.

Advertisement
Back