First Scrimmage Thread - BOOM

This. Means he is playing not to lose, instead of playing to win.

This is a very simple equation to solve

Heaps= Definite Corch
Kaaya = Possibly Coach (at least Coarch)

Name another great coach who didnt start the more promising Freshman..over the more experienced JR/SR.Stoops did it, Butch Did it, yall are some flucking fools if ya dont believe this... If we dont have an all ACC QB on our team you start the freshman...If Golden starts Heaps he is who we thought he was

Advertisement
He wasn't beat out by a true freshman. The true freshman started two game because their season was a dumpster fire. The freshman wasn't good and Heaps played plenty in the final two games. All of Kansas QBs have stunk because the players around them stink. Its why Weis went to a system that takes advantage of the new QBs athletic ability.

Kinda like Berlin and Crudup in 2003 after the loss to the Vols. Crudup was not good against Syracuse and Coker went back to Berlin. Except that Miami team was so much better than Kansas.

No. Heaps was benched because he was statistically one of the worst quarterbacks in football.

And your Berlin/Crudup example is wrong. Berlin kept the job in spring and had a good season in 2004. Heaps was beaten out by the true freshman he was benched for. That's why he's here.
Now, wait a sec. Your Heaps history is wrong...well, incomplete. I'm not here to defend Heaps, just saying it was a combination of his poor performance AND a shift by Jabba the Weis to a Spread Read Option offense that the dual-threat Freshman who replaced him was tailor-made for. That's an important point. Heaps is a pro-style QB with limited mobility, and he struggled mightily in a Spread Read Option offense, so--he left Kansass to go to an offense more suited to his style of play (and to hopefully play better in). The system and the lack of playmakers around him at Kansass likely had something to do with his terrible statistics, so the two points yourself and fincane are making kind of go hand-in-hand.

Let's tell the whole story, not just the piece that supports your touting of HBK aka Kaaya the Messiah aka Felicia's Boy. For the record--I want Kaaya to start. If Kaaya's that good, no need in dogging Heaps to make him look better.

Yup

Got beat out at BYU to not just at kansas

He wasn't beat out by a true freshman. The true freshman started two game because their season was a dumpster fire. The freshman wasn't good and Heaps played plenty in the final two games. All of Kansas QBs have stunk because the players around them stink. Its why Weis went to a system that takes advantage of the new QBs athletic ability.

Kinda like Berlin and Crudup in 2003 after the loss to the Vols. Crudup was not good against Syracuse and Coker went back to Berlin. Except that Miami team was so much better than Kansas.

No. Heaps was benched because he was statistically one of the worst quarterbacks in football.

And your Berlin/Crudup example is wrong. Berlin kept the job in spring and had a good season in 2004. Heaps was beaten out by the true freshman he was benched for. That's why he's here.

How could the kid be a true freshman if he played in 2013? He was a sophomore eligibility wise in the spring. Just don't mention that a new offensive coordinator was brought in over the spring as well. The new starter rushed for "70 yards" in the spring game in an offense more suited for his skills.

Weis wasn't going to name Heaps the starter the rest of the way last season but he brought him in twice to end the year so the true freshman didn't beat anybody out. Weis started prepping for the future. If Cozart(the frosh) had played more his stats would've been worse than Heaps. That offense was awful all the way around. Weis hasn't had good QB play since Brady Quinn.

I wonder if Coker hired a guy and brought in the spread option offense over the spring how Brock Berlin would've fared.

so you're going with heaps right ?

This is the problem. I don't have a side. You watched 20 minutes from the parking structure and you have a side. DMoney is comparing Kaaya to a freshman Dorsey in other threads. Whoever wins the competition, I hope they are capable of winning games and lots of them.

It's simple, if Heaps isn't head and shoulders better, start Kaaya. Kaaya goes into 2015 with a full year under his belt and a lotta weapons.

Advertisement

How could the kid be a true freshman if he played in 2013? He was a sophomore eligibility wise in the spring. Just don't mention that a new offensive coordinator was brought in over the spring as well. The new starter rushed for "70 yards" in the spring game in an offense more suited for his skills.

Weis wasn't going to name Heaps the starter the rest of the way last season but he brought him in twice to end the year so the true freshman didn't beat anybody out. Weis started prepping for the future. If Cozart(the frosh) had played more his stats would've been worse than Heaps. That offense was awful all the way around. Weis hasn't had good QB play since Brady Quinn.

I wonder if Coker hired a guy and brought in the spread option offense over the spring how Brock Berlin would've fared.

This is the problem. I don't have a side. You watched 20 minutes from the parking structure and you have a side. DMoney is comparing Kaaya to a freshman Dorsey in other threads. Whoever wins the competition, I hope they are capable of winning games and lots of them.

Ive also watched practice everyday for about 20-30 minutes

It's simple, if Heaps isn't head and shoulders better, start Kaaya. Kaaya goes into 2015 with a full year under his belt and a lotta weapons.

Not simple. If your team sees and believes that Heaps is better. Even if its slightly better, you don't start Kaaya.

Like stated 1000 times if a Senior cannot CLEARLY beat out a true freshman then why not start the freshman. Alot of people are trying to say well a freshman going into a hostile environment doesnt end well. which i agree with BUT in all honesty have you ever heard a more mature, well spoken, & confident freshman. Its been stated plenty of times all we need is a game manager to not make mistakes. I think Brad Kaaya fits that mold & then some. My vote is for Kaaya. If he hits our TE's & duke catches more passes like they are trying to implement it would make life easy for the kid.

Have you spent time in the meeting room with the QBs? Do you know their grasp of the playbook? Do their teammates believe in them?

Advertisement

Have you spent time in the meeting room with the QBs? Do you know their grasp of the playbook? Do their teammates believe in them?

Nope , but what have you seen ?

If it's even or close I feel you go with Kaaya and let him get the experience he needs moving forward.

Now, wait a sec. Your Heaps history is wrong...well, incomplete. I'm not here to defend Heaps, just saying it was a combination of his poor performance AND a shift by Jabba the Weis to a Spread Read Option offense that the dual-threat Freshman who replaced him was tailor-made for. That's an important point. Heaps is a pro-style QB with limited mobility, and he struggled mightily in a Spread Read Option offense, so--he left Kansass to go to an offense more suited to his style of play (and to hopefully play better in). The system and the lack of playmakers around him at Kansass likely had something to do with his terrible statistics, so the two points yourself and fincane are making kind of go hand-in-hand.

Let's tell the whole story, not just the piece that supports your touting of HBK aka Kaaya the Messiah aka Felicia's Boy. For the record--I want Kaaya to start. If Kaaya's that good, no need in dogging Heaps to make him look better.

Yup

Got beat out at BYU to not just at kansas
Yep. And he played well as a Freshman--broke some of Ty Detmer's records and all of that, but regressed as a Sophomore when he lost the job. Given Heaps whole story, I'm cool with the fact that he's getting a shot. I simply think that Kaaya's a better fit because of his physical gifts, his advanced maturity, and he's got an intangible winning quality that was on display in his HS years.

I'm rooting for Kaaya to win the job, I just didn't think it was fair that Heaps was getting dogged out for trying to play in a Read Option O when his skill set is more made for a pro-style offense. It's like the old quote (paraphrasing) "if you test a fish on it's ability to climb a tree, it will go through life believing it's stupid".

Yall keep bringing up what the other freshman was ranking but kaaya was #4 ppQb.

Jared goff wasnt even top 10 last year and looked what he did.

byu was 10-3 and 11-3 before heaps got there. 7-6 his frosh year and started the first 5 games his soph year.

Heaps went 3-2 and threw 56% 9td 8int. They benched him and they went 7-1 the rest of the year and finished 10-3.

Don't act like heaps was bad just because kansas was bad. Heaps only completed 59% of his passes in high school.

Hackenburg and goff had success as freshman without the players around the kaaya has.

Kaaya has a top 5 rb in duke to hand off to. He got very good wrs and pretty good tes.

We play in the acc coastal. Those other frosh qbs played in a better conference. We can beat unc, vt, lou, uva, gt, pitt, duke with kaaya.

Advertisement
So we are flying banners if Kaaya doesn't start against UL? :)

Seriously. I don't understand how no one is realizing it is more than just who can sit back there and throw a better ball.

Our strength will continue to be the running game. The 5th yr guy may not be that much better than what we are hoping is the truth of a freshman when they both drop back. But he sure as **** is better at making the right calls and adjustments of the line at the line.

That's why he has the edge and why he will start. Because that will make all the difference in our running game.

Kaaya is going to run **** here for years, but with duke running how he's running, checking at the line is more important than anything else.[/
QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this to be true? Kaaya has been in this offense longer than Heaps has. How would heaps be better at checks at the LOS in this offense that Kaaya?

Heaps was benched during the season for a true freshman. The same guy beat him out in the spring. You are arguing semantics because you can't address the obvious.

Weis started prepping for the future.

So Weis started prepping for the future with a senior-to-be quarterback already on the roster. What does that tell you?

Just don't mention that a new offensive coordinator was brought in over the spring as well.

So Weis brought in a new coordinator to suit the skills of his teenage quarterback instead of his senior quarterback. Again, what does that tell you?

Heaps had a horrible year and the program moved on from him. Please tell me what part of the picture I'm missing.

Advertisement
True freshmen QBs in major conference that started majority of games with above avg pass efficiency 2008-2012:

Name - Record
Pryor 8-2
RG3 4-7
Braxton Miller 4-6
Teddy B 5-5
Barkley 9-3
Perry Hillis 4-3

19 other true freshmen started games with below avg efficiency, the best being Savage and Forcier who both regressed soph seasons.

Jake Heaps wasn't even in the Top 100 for pass efficiency last year. And he was beaten out by a true freshman.

Wow, and if Kaaya can't beat that guy out for the job, he must be really bad...

True freshmen QBs in major conference that started majority of games with above avg pass efficiency 2008-2012:

Name - Record
Pryor 8-2
RG3 4-7
Braxton Miller 4-6
Teddy B 5-5
Barkley 9-3
Perry Hillis 4-3

19 other true freshmen started games with below avg efficiency, the best being Savage and Forcier who both regressed soph seasons.

Jake Heaps wasn't even in the Top 100 for pass efficiency last year. And he was beaten out by a true freshman.

Wow, and if Kaaya can't beat that guy out for the job, he must be really bad...
LMAOOOOOOOOO gotta be trollin

Advertisement
Back