First Scrimmage Thread - BOOM

He wasn't beat out by a true freshman. The true freshman started two game because their season was a dumpster fire. The freshman wasn't good and Heaps played plenty in the final two games. All of Kansas QBs have stunk because the players around them stink. Its why Weis went to a system that takes advantage of the new QBs athletic ability.

Kinda like Berlin and Crudup in 2003 after the loss to the Vols. Crudup was not good against Syracuse and Coker went back to Berlin. Except that Miami team was so much better than Kansas.

No. Heaps was benched because he was statistically one of the worst quarterbacks in football.

And your Berlin/Crudup example is wrong. Berlin kept the job in spring and had a good season in 2004. Heaps was beaten out by the true freshman he was benched for. That's why he's here.
Now, wait a sec. Your Heaps history is wrong...well, incomplete. I'm not here to defend Heaps, just saying it was a combination of his poor performance AND a shift by Jabba the Weis to a Spread Read Option offense that the dual-threat Freshman who replaced him was tailor-made for. That's an important point. Heaps is a pro-style QB with limited mobility, and he struggled mightily in a Spread Read Option offense, so--he left Kansass to go to an offense more suited to his style of play (and to hopefully play better in). The system and the lack of playmakers around him at Kansass likely had something to do with his terrible statistics, so the two points yourself and fincane are making kind of go hand-in-hand.

Let's tell the whole story, not just the piece that supports your touting of HBK aka Kaaya the Messiah aka Felicia's Boy. For the record--I want Kaaya to start. If Kaaya's that good, no need in dogging Heaps to make him look better.

You don't change your offense if you have a viable QB to run it. That says all I need to know about Heaps.

Advertisement
How could the kid be a true freshman if he played in 2013? He was a sophomore eligibility wise in the spring. Just don't mention that a new offensive coordinator was brought in over the spring as well. The new starter rushed for "70 yards" in the spring game in an offense more suited for his skills.

Heaps was benched during the season for a true freshman. The same guy beat him out in the spring. You are arguing semantics because you can't address the obvious.

Weis started prepping for the future.

So Weis started prepping for the future with a senior-to-be quarterback already on the roster. What does that tell you?

Just don't mention that a new offensive coordinator was brought in over the spring as well.

So Weis brought in a new coordinator to suit the skills of his teenage quarterback instead of his senior quarterback. Again, what does that tell you?

Heaps had a horrible year and the program moved on from him. Please tell me what part of the picture I'm missing.

Stop pretending to be dense. You think Weis woke up with 3 games to go in the season and thought Cozart was the better player? Why didn't it happen earlier in the year? The same reason why Coker knew that Crudup wasn't the answer and went to him anyway. We still had something to play for in 2003 and won the Big East so Coker went right back to Berlin when his thoughts on Crudup were confirmed. He wasn't in position to just say "*** it" to the entire year like Weis was. Weis had nothing to lose to see what he had in Cozart. Judging by the fact that Heaps played plenty in the last two games his thoughts on Cozart were probably confirmed too.

It isn't even about arguing semantics. You told a story that was incomplete. Cozart "beat him out" last year but still played less in the final two games that he started because like all Kansas QBs not named Todd Reesing, Cozart was awful.

I don't even care who they name the starter, but the propaganda is sickening.

How could the kid be a true freshman if he played in 2013? He was a sophomore eligibility wise in the spring. Just don't mention that a new offensive coordinator was brought in over the spring as well. The new starter rushed for "70 yards" in the spring game in an offense more suited for his skills.

Heaps was benched during the season for a true freshman. The same guy beat him out in the spring. You are arguing semantics because you can't address the obvious.

Weis started prepping for the future.

So Weis started prepping for the future with a senior-to-be quarterback already on the roster. What does that tell you?

Just don't mention that a new offensive coordinator was brought in over the spring as well.

So Weis brought in a new coordinator to suit the skills of his teenage quarterback instead of his senior quarterback. Again, what does that tell you?

Heaps had a horrible year and the program moved on from him. Please tell me what part of the picture I'm missing.

Stop pretending to be dense. You think Weis woke up with 3 games to go in the season and thought Cozart was the better player? Why didn't it happen earlier in the year? The same reason why Coker knew that Crudup wasn't the answer and went to him anyway. We still had something to play for in 2003 and won the Big East so Coker went right back to Berlin when his thoughts on Crudup were confirmed. He wasn't in position to just say "*** it" to the entire year like Weis was. Weis had nothing to lose to see what he had in Cozart. Judging by the fact that Heaps played plenty in the last two games his thoughts on Cozart were probably confirmed too.

It isn't even about arguing semantics. You told a story that was incomplete. Cozart "beat him out" last year but still played less in the final two games that he started because like all Kansas QBs not named Todd Reesing, Cozart was awful.

I don't even care who they name the starter, but the propaganda is sickening.

355.jpg

He wasn't beat out by a true freshman. The true freshman started two game because their season was a dumpster fire. The freshman wasn't good and Heaps played plenty in the final two games. All of Kansas QBs have stunk because the players around them stink. Its why Weis went to a system that takes advantage of the new QBs athletic ability.

Kinda like Berlin and Crudup in 2003 after the loss to the Vols. Crudup was not good against Syracuse and Coker went back to Berlin. Except that Miami team was so much better than Kansas.

No. Heaps was benched because he was statistically one of the worst quarterbacks in football.

And your Berlin/Crudup example is wrong. Berlin kept the job in spring and had a good season in 2004. Heaps was beaten out by the true freshman he was benched for. That's why he's here.
Now, wait a sec. Your Heaps history is wrong...well, incomplete. I'm not here to defend Heaps, just saying it was a combination of his poor performance AND a shift by Jabba the Weis to a Spread Read Option offense that the dual-threat Freshman who replaced him was tailor-made for. That's an important point. Heaps is a pro-style QB with limited mobility, and he struggled mightily in a Spread Read Option offense, so--he left Kansass to go to an offense more suited to his style of play (and to hopefully play better in). The system and the lack of playmakers around him at Kansass likely had something to do with his terrible statistics, so the two points yourself and fincane are making kind of go hand-in-hand.

Let's tell the whole story, not just the piece that supports your touting of HBK aka Kaaya the Messiah aka Felicia's Boy. For the record--I want Kaaya to start. If Kaaya's that good, no need in dogging Heaps to make him look better.

You don't change your offense if you have a viable QB to run it. That says all I need to know about Heaps.

Happens all the time. Some QBs can make the transition. Others can't.

And Duke Johnson said that Heaps can read the defense better and Kaaya has trouble with it. So what is your point?

that quote was from like the 2nd practice in, I would start putting more weight on the recent stuff

Tim Reynolds @ByTimReynolds · 6h
In not surprising Canes news ... I'm told that to this point, including scrimmage No. 1, Jake Heaps is on his way to the starting QB job.

I am totally fine with Kaaya being the QB honestly I don't care who the Qb is but I am just not buying the Kaaya is walking away with this because one guy is saying it when no other reporter who has been at all the practices is saying. I will root for whoever they choose and would be more than happy for it to be Kaaya.

If it's close I'd prefer Kaaya get the nod.

I would disagree but I am fine with someone thinking that way. I would rather redshirt him if it's a possibility but I would have no problem with Kaaya starting at all.

I would have preferred to RS him, if Baby Jesus was the truth, it seems as though that's not the case, so if it's that close between Kaaya and Heaps, i'd prefer Kaaya.. Just like it was "close" with Jacory and SteMo, I would have preferred SteMo get the nod. The staff values experience, and that's ok if it's actually close.

Advertisement
I love how fans want Kaaya to start and "go through ups and downs" so he can be better down the road, only to **** and moan when we go 7-5 because of our freshman QB. Will those same fans come out and still feel the same way at the end of the season?

Whoever gets the start, gets the ****ing start. They're our QB so back them up and quit the negativity. That **** ain't getting us nowhere, and it certainly ain't helping you sleep at night. I swear the God we have the worst ****ing fans sometimes and deserve the trolling we get.

its the modern day Miami fan, they're rooting more for and against internal agendas than against the opposition, its phucking weird

LMAO, no it doesn't. You don't move away from an offense if you have a QB with the skills to run it, a SR QB at that. You are just making **** up now to support your agenda. Heaps was never going to be the starter in the O they switched to.

Does anyone have an actual statistical comparison of how the freshmans Cozart performed versus Heaps. The "he beat out Heaps" stuff is pretty meaningless given the fact Weis is in full blown panic mode looking for anything or anyone to save his job.

Did Kansas look appreciably better with Cozart than it did with Heaps, or were they the same **** pile?

Kaaya clearly has the higher ceiling, but I've seen too many guys, who turned out to be really good QBs down the road, look really shaky as true freshmans. Braxton Miller looked like a deer in the headlights against our terrible defense. Even the great Peyton Manning was pedestrian at best as a true freshmans and struggled badly against top teams.

OKAY WHAT WAS THE REASON HE GOT BEAT OUT AT BYU

Advertisement
Does anyone have an actual statistical comparison of how the freshmans Cozart performed versus Heaps. The "he beat out Heaps" stuff is pretty meaningless given the fact Weis is in full blown panic mode looking for anything or anyone to save his job.

Did Kansas look appreciably better with Cozart than it did with Heaps, or were they the same **** pile?

Kaaya clearly has the higher ceiling, but I've seen too many guys, who turned out to be really good QBs down the road, look really shaky as true freshmans. Braxton Miller looked like a deer in the headlights against our terrible defense. Even the great Peyton Manning was pedestrian at best as a true freshmans and struggled badly against top teams.

HE GOT BEAT OUT AT BYU AND KANSAS YOULL SEEM TO FORGET ABOUT BYU

This. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Dmoney spent an entire summer from the UM parking garage talking about how great Kirby Freeman is playing.

I said Freeman was playing great in practice because he was playing great in practice. Who won the job? I never said Freeman would be a great player, just stated the fact that he was beating Wright out on Greentree.

As for Morris, I thought he was ready to take the next step after spring. So did our coaches. So did a lot of people who get paid for this. The moral of the story is that you never know how practice performance will translate to games. But that's all we have to go on when it comes to Heaps and Kaaya.

The single biggest flaw in Al's entire process is that it is non-game driven. Workout driven and practice driven. I don't know about the rest of you, but assumed Wheeler was just soft because he never got in games. Then he gets in and turns into nasty little beast. Some guys don't like to beat up on they team-mates and you aren't really allowed to anymore. Practice is almost never to the ground.

We don't know reach if either QB will be good in game. Al can pick the one he wants. I just don't want "continuity" of our experience of staying with a loser. Starting Heaps makes a lot of sense, but only so long as Al is prepared to admit a mistake if he has made one. Kaaya off the bench could be a very good thing. Kid will not have 2 weeks of pressure on his nerves. He can go out an play natural. Hopefully, Duke has learned how to crush those blitz dude without getting hit in the head. I think Kaaya is too good and has too much "it" to keep him on the bench all year. But I have no problem holding off on him for a little while. He was not an EE.

He wasn't progressing and they had Riley Nelson.

Well motha****a we got brad kaaya close the thread the future is here...

Advertisement

Brad Kaaya hasn't been hit yet. I'm not saying that shouldn't come against Louisville. Kaaya threw a duck for a pick 6 according to another guy who was there in his first big test. So saying we have Kaaya doesn't mean anything yet.

Brad Kaaya hasn't been hit yet. I'm not saying that shouldn't come against Louisville. Kaaya threw a duck for a pick 6 according to another guy who was there in his first big test. So saying we have Kaaya doesn't mean anything yet.

heaps aka i get beat out by freshmans alot

LMAO, no it doesn't. You don't move away from an offense if you have a QB with the skills to run it, a SR QB at that. You are just making **** up now to support your agenda. Heaps was never going to be the starter in the O they switched to.

So you're saying no coach has ever fired his OC after a subpar year even when he has a pretty good QB? That hasn't ever happened?

Advertisement
This is a very simple equation to solve

Heaps= Definite Corch
Kaaya = Possibly Coach (at least Coarch)

Name another great coach who didnt start the more promising Freshman..over the more experienced JR/SR.Stoops did it, Butch Did it, yall are some flucking fools if ya dont believe this... If we dont have an all ACC QB on our team you start the freshman...If Golden starts Heaps he is who we thought he was

Dumbo sat Rapist and started that other guy. Please don't talked about him being 1st round pick, so was the guy before him. AJ was a proven classic criminole choker QB, but Dumbo started him instead of Heisman winner.

So you're saying no coach has ever fired his OC after a subpar year even when he has a pretty good QB? That hasn't ever happened?

Seriously you need a paint by numbers coloring book? You certainly aren't really this obtuse are you?

This is a very simple equation to solve

Heaps= Definite Corch
Kaaya = Possibly Coach (at least Coarch)

Name another great coach who didnt start the more promising Freshman..over the more experienced JR/SR.Stoops did it, Butch Did it, yall are some flucking fools if ya dont believe this... If we dont have an all ACC QB on our team you start the freshman...If Golden starts Heaps he is who we thought he was

Dumbo sat Rapist and started that other guy. Please don't talked about him being 1st round pick, so was the guy before him. AJ was a proven classic criminole choker QB, but Dumbo started him instead of Heisman winner.

so you would start a freshman qb that gets in bb gun fights ? a very mature freshman qb huh ?

NAMECMPATTYDSCMP%YDS/ATDINTRAT
Jake Heaps128261141449.05.4281097.0
Montell Cozart236322736.53.600260.4

Advertisement
Back