First Scrimmage Thread - BOOM

True freshmen QBs in major conference that started majority of games with above avg pass efficiency 2008-2012:

Name - Record
Pryor 8-2
RG3 4-7
Braxton Miller 4-6
Teddy B 5-5
Barkley 9-3
Perry Hillis 4-3

19 other true freshmen started games with below avg efficiency, the best being Savage and Forcier who both regressed soph seasons.

Jake Heaps wasn't even in the Top 100 for pass efficiency last year. And he was beaten out by a true freshman.

Wow, and if Kaaya can't beat that guy out for the job, he must be really bad...
LMAOOOOOOOOO gotta be trollin

Reason for those stats is to show how QB's considered elite during that span did as true freshmen and their record as starters.
These were the exceptions. The rest outside of Savage were never more than average or didn't progress very well.

I want Miami to win every game. There is no take lumps and go all out next season before game 1. We have no idea how Kaaya will be next year.

I'm behind whoever starts. If Kaaya is the one, great. He better win this season.
Like Savage, Heaps regressed his soph season and was replaced. If he starts and can be like Savage, he better win.

Advertisement
Does anyone have an actual statistical comparison of how the freshmans Cozart performed versus Heaps. The "he beat out Heaps" stuff is pretty meaningless given the fact Weis is in full blown panic mode looking for anything or anyone to save his job.

Did Kansas look appreciably better with Cozart than it did with Heaps, or were they the same **** pile?

Kaaya clearly has the higher ceiling, but I've seen too many guys, who turned out to be really good QBs down the road, look really shaky as true freshmans. Braxton Miller looked like a deer in the headlights against our terrible defense. Even the great Peyton Manning was pedestrian at best as a true freshmans and struggled badly against top teams.

They looked like the same steaming pile of **** and made the move because they couldn't protect a pocket passer and didn't have a WR who could catch a cold. Weis is hoping the extra mobility and a little improvisation by his qb will save him.

Does anyone have an actual statistical comparison of how the freshmans Cozart performed versus Heaps. The "he beat out Heaps" stuff is pretty meaningless given the fact Weis is in full blown panic mode looking for anything or anyone to save his job.

Did Kansas look appreciably better with Cozart than it did with Heaps, or were they the same **** pile?

Kaaya clearly has the higher ceiling, but I've seen too many guys, who turned out to be really good QBs down the road, look really shaky as true freshmans. Braxton Miller looked like a deer in the headlights against our terrible defense. Even the great Peyton Manning was pedestrian at best as a true freshmans and struggled badly against top teams.

NAMECMPATTYDSCMP%YDS/ATDINTRAT
Jake Heaps128261141449.05.4281097.0
Montell Cozart236322736.53.600260.4

Also Cozart got pulled from two games in favor of Heaps late in the year. The beat out crap is nonsense.

No. Heaps was benched because he was statistically one of the worst quarterbacks in football.

And your Berlin/Crudup example is wrong. Berlin kept the job in spring and had a good season in 2004. Heaps was beaten out by the true freshman he was benched for. That's why he's here.
Now, wait a sec. Your Heaps history is wrong...well, incomplete. I'm not here to defend Heaps, just saying it was a combination of his poor performance AND a shift by Jabba the Weis to a Spread Read Option offense that the dual-threat Freshman who replaced him was tailor-made for. That's an important point. Heaps is a pro-style QB with limited mobility, and he struggled mightily in a Spread Read Option offense, so--he left Kansass to go to an offense more suited to his style of play (and to hopefully play better in). The system and the lack of playmakers around him at Kansass likely had something to do with his terrible statistics, so the two points yourself and fincane are making kind of go hand-in-hand.

Let's tell the whole story, not just the piece that supports your touting of HBK aka Kaaya the Messiah aka Felicia's Boy. For the record--I want Kaaya to start. If Kaaya's that good, no need in dogging Heaps to make him look better.

You don't change your offense if you have a viable QB to run it. That says all I need to know about Heaps.

Happens all the time. Some QBs can make the transition. Others can't.

LMAO, no it doesn't. You don't move away from an offense if you have a QB with the skills to run it, a SR QB at that. You are just making **** up now to support your agenda. Heaps was never going to be the starter in the O they switched to.

Sometimes you move away from an offense when the HC is desperate and willing to scrap everything he's done as a coach for 25 years in order to save his job. Weis couldn't win or field a decent offense with Chryst, Heaps, or anyone else at Kansas.

Thank you. So, Cozart did far worse even though he purportedly "beat him out".

Advertisement
This is a very simple equation to solve

Heaps= Definite Corch
Kaaya = Possibly Coach (at least Coarch)

Name another great coach who didnt start the more promising Freshman..over the more experienced JR/SR.Stoops did it, Butch Did it, yall are some flucking fools if ya dont believe this... If we dont have an all ACC QB on our team you start the freshman...If Golden starts Heaps he is who we thought he was

Dumbo sat Rapist and started that other guy. Please don't talked about him being 1st round pick, so was the guy before him. AJ was a proven classic criminole choker QB, but Dumbo started him instead of Heisman winner.

so you would start a freshman qb that gets in bb gun fights ? a very mature freshman qb huh ?

Nope, just answering Vern's question. Starting a true freshman is always risky. I think all of us believe Kaaya is the golden boy to take us bake to promised land. But if is Al's paycheck on the line. His history is he goes with Heaps; if he views his history objectively, then he might decide it sucks and goes with the kid. For me, I am good either way, but if Al sticks with a loser again like last year, then I want mid-season coaching change. This team has talent and the ONLY thing between it and a return to importance is the coaching. I think Heaps can beat loserville no problem; can you say Duke for 200 yards. The Cornhusker game then becomes the key. Kaaya will have more time under his belt and if Golden has a brain Brad will have PT during the cupcake games. If Heaps gets us by Huskers then Al will ride him. But want Brad getting snaps. Whatever happens this year, we need to be sure he is the man next year. If he is half want we think, Brad is gone in 3 anyway.

Thank you. So, Cozart did far worse even though he purportedly "beat him out".

Clearly. So when DMoney talks about being disturbed if Kaaya doesn't start how the **** can you take him seriously? Even in a discussion where he doesn't have to omit facts because Heaps wasn't good at Kansas he does it anyway. Talking about semantics. BS.

Kansas doesn't have the players to run any ******* offense so Weis decided to use a spread run offense to try and do something and shockingly enough it still sucked. That team was running RB screens on first and 10 REGULARLY and running speed options with Heaps at QB. Their WRs got no separation and can't catch, their OL couldn't block **** and with all this Heaps still managed to make some decent throws. Heaps has a strong arm and throws a pretty good deep ball and sees the field pretty well. There are tools to work with.

I can't be the only one that sees the irony of people talking about Heaps getting beat out on a team moving to a new offense can I? Does everyone forget how Ryan Williams ended up here?

If Kaaya is the best QB on the roster RIGHT NOW (and that includes Williams), then he should start. But if he's not the best, and the staff thinks RW can come back this year and perform well, then starting Kaaya for 3 games and benching him really doesn't make a lot of sense. Either way, an enormous majority of people posting a certain player should start have literally no actual insight on the QB battle other than their own preconceived notions. Let the QBs battle and see who starts and stop with the ******* narrative.

Christy Chirinos ‏@ChristyChirinos 1m
Big Olsen Pierre bats down a Jake Heaps pass at the LOS. Looks like that's it for this morning.

Advertisement
Big Olsen Pierre bats down a Jake Heaps pass at the LOS. Looks like that's it for this morning.

Susan Miller Degnan ‏@smillerdegnan 4m
.@TrinidadBrad pass with first team broken up by Deon Bush - then Kaaya is picked off by Grace

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 5m
Jermaine Grace jumps a Brad Kaaya pass. Pick-six with Golden (right) watching #Canes http://instagram.com/p/rrnYapqCCC/

Christy Chirinos ‏@ChristyChirinos 5m
Kaaya just picked by Jermaine Grace, who returns it for a short TD. Very next play, Kaaya hits Coley.

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 2m
Jermaine Grace looking great. After pick-six, gets a touch sack on Kaaya.

I wonder how many of these int's are a result of the defense knowing what was coming? Or knowing our routes and breaks?

So what we know:
Heaps is short and gets balls batted down. Seems to be a good leader and directs players where they need to go. Lacks certain athletic qualities, i.e. Height and Mobility.

Kaaya appears to be impressive. Has a solid arm, great mobility, and the players are warming up to him. Appears to either be forcing some throws or not reading the proper coverage as he has thrown three pick 6's in practices.

. Starting Heaps makes a lot of sense, but only so long as Al is prepared to admit a mistake if he has made one. Kaaya off the bench could be a very good thing. Kid will not have 2 weeks of pressure on his nerves. He can go out an play natural.

I find it hard to believe that Golden will start Kaays at Louisville, even if he is the better quarterback. There is no substitute for experience and Heaps has a lot of it, albeit not much winning. Start Heaps as a game manager and rely on the talent around you. If he does poorly and bombs, you can bring in Kaaya and he can play out the balance of the game and play against two weak opponents the following two weeks. However, if you start Kaaya and he bombs, then you've just screwed up the kid's mojo and confidence and it will take a lot of time to build that up. Not worth it.

Advertisement
Just start Kayaa and let him takes his lumps early. Heaps has had 5 years to do somthing. He can be a good backup

Susan Miller Degnan ‏@smillerdegnan 4m
.@TrinidadBrad pass with first team broken up by Deon Bush - then Kaaya is picked off by Grace

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 5m
Jermaine Grace jumps a Brad Kaaya pass. Pick-six with Golden (right) watching #Canes http://instagram.com/p/rrnYapqCCC/

Christy Chirinos ‏@ChristyChirinos 5m
Kaaya just picked by Jermaine Grace, who returns it for a short TD. Very next play, Kaaya hits Coley.

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 2m
Jermaine Grace looking great. After pick-six, gets a touch sack on Kaaya.

Manny Navarro ‏@Manny_Navarro 21s
Finally getting a chance to see Kaaya when he faces the blitz and the kid has a ton of poise. Not rattled at all #UM

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 1m
Kaaya under heat today but just doesn't seem rattled. Neither foot is happy.

Christy Chirinos ‏@ChristyChirinos now
As @Manny_Navarro, @mattyports were just discussing...Kaaya is handling the pressure here. He's calm, poised.

yo heaps i know thats you posting take a break tho son

On Kaaya, Denzel Perryman said "I can't rattle him for nothing." On Heaps: "He's about my height but he gets the job done."

Fincane is really jake heaps

Advertisement

I mentioned this in another thread, but Heaps went 128/261 (49%) with his receivers having dropped 48 passes. If his receivers catch half those balls he's up to 152/261 (58%) which ain't too shabby. If they catch all of them he's up to 67% which we would all love.

To put it another way, 48 drops from 261 pass attempts is nearly a 20% drop rate. His receivers dropped 20% of all the passes he threw. One out of every five passes was dropped.

Everyone posts his stats and says that he sucks. I've never watched him play. Most people here haven't watched him play.

How many of those drops turned into his 10 interceptions? How many of those drops should've been caught? How many of those drops killed momentum and killed drives? How many of those drops would've been TDs?

Has anyone actually watched Heaps' game film?

I don't care who starts as long as they win and I'm pretty confident that Heaps and Kaaya are both better than a gimpy Morris.

On Kaaya, Denzel Perryman said "I can't rattle him for nothing." On Heaps: "He's about my height but he gets the job done."

And apparently you watch 20 minutes of practice a day because you are Brad Kaaya.

I don't care which QB wins games for us. But posting horrible media talking about calmness, poise and height gets trumped every time by actual plays like say the pick 6s.

Kaaya threw the 30 yard pass to duke down the middle saw jake heaps get 3 balls batted down , d jack is a beast of the edge kid is gonna swat a lot of passes in his career also saw fentress (I think) line up right of dp , didn't see much only about 25 mins and god is our field goal kicking awful lol #18 which is believe is goudis freaking was kicking em like 10 yards short no lie

So 3 of the 4 batted passes were Heaps....? ****

And apparently you watch 20 minutes of practice a day because you are Brad Kaaya.

I don't care which QB wins games for us. But posting horrible media talking about calmness, poise and height gets trumped every time by actual plays like say the pick 6s.
Wow that's funny since yesterday they said they don't know what d money sees in kaaya being head and shoulders above heaps because the media said they where even I've seen em both live and kaaya is that much better than heaps

Advertisement
Back