Fireside Flicker with Your Beloved Legend

Frankly I never expected this to be a close game. Clemson is one of the nation's stellar programs. They are loaded throughout their roster with highly ranked future NFL players. Their coaching and game preparation is unmatched in college football.

We were projected to be one of their strongest opponents, and they prepared accordingly. Even though they had only one week. We were also hyped and had TWO weeks to prepare. Even so, only a very few experts or realists IF ANY actually thought we could actually go toe to toe with them. Everything would have had to fall in perfectly in place for that to occur...including officiating, extreme player motivation causing player's to play beyond their abilities, no turnovers and few player errors, combined with exceptional game day coaching.

Not surprisingly that didn't happen. We are not in Clemson's league yet...very few teams are. They beat us soundly. We have to recover, look ahead not look back....and learn from that

Face it, its extremely difficult to go from outhouse to penthouse in one year. While I feel were improved, this game showed us that we still have a long way to go in most areas of football. Our two weeks of preparations showed little or no impact on the field. Clemson has a multitude of players who will play on Sundays in the future, we have two maybe three...not counting Rousseau. As some have pointed out, few, if any of our players would be starters at Clemson. I'm not into casting blame at the players. A good coach knows their player"s limitations and plans accordingly. We were not prepared nor did we have the personnel to beat them.

The real proof of how much this team as improved over last year and our future trajectory will come in the games following this loss. We are fully capable with no excuses of winning out our schedule. Whether we do so or not will tell us how much progress has actually been made.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We can still run the table and should. But I've seen this show too many times to have any legit expectation that will happen.

I was just watching my DVR of the Baga/Old Urine game. Baga on their first drive, and they have a young WR named Metchie. He's the next great one there, and he was out front blocking for Devontae Smith on a TD and latched onto the DB and drove him off the screen for 15 yards. Metchie isn't huge and probably isn't the strongest guy in the world, but he's a dog. We don't have that.

Yup, and people won't like it, but as good as Metchie is, if he didn't block like that, he'd have gotten his *** chewed hard and sat out a few series. It's culture, it's that standard we keep hearing about. Instead we have Wiggins falling down if a pass looks to be too much work to go catch, or involves challenging another human being for a ball.

Its as simple as this, Clemson has more talent than us AND they are always highly motivated to kill us! Whatever Virginia was able to do doesn't matter. Remember we beat #3 ND 41-3? We certainly weren't talented enough to do that but we were motivated enough to do that!

Motivation matters and Clemson truly hates our guts. They never show respect and they never take their foot off the gas. They humiliated us by destroying our TO chain on tv right after demolishing us. If they could have shut us out on Saturday, they would have. If they could have scored 60 they would have. We're not business as usual for them. Ever. We always get their best shot

Moral victories aside I believe that we closed the gap a little score wise and defensively. We played against a team with 2 day 1 guys on their offense and shot ourselves in the foot more than once.

We're on schedule guys. They're going to beat us again in December lets see if we've closed the gap further.

As an aside I've added Clemson to the teams I despise right along with FSU, ND and OSU!

Fvck Daboo!

O yeah and King needs to just come on back next year. After this game his stock dropped.

I don't think we were submissive last night - we were just completely outmatched.

For all the grief Baker gets, Lashlee was the one who failed last night. When Clemson manned up on his WRs (and completely took them out of the game) and dominated the line of scrimmage he literally had no answer.

Heads didn't go down, despite the score. The real test is next week against Pitt. If the team sleep walks into that game feeling sorry for themselves a) we'll lose and b) we'll know Diaz isn't the guy.
Submissive? No! Terrified yes. Absolute deer in the headlights! Manny is NOT the guy. Took me two days for my blood pressure to come back down because I couldn’t believe they played scared like that.

Advertisement
They teed off on us all night. We ran simple run plays right into the teeth of them crashing downhill on us, never threw to the RBs, never threw to the TEs. Venables fcked Lashlee raw with no grease.
I'm extremely concerned about Lashlee. He didn't make any adjustments and continues to ignore Mallory. He either got overwhelmed or he's just not as good as we hoped, not.good either way.

They teed off on us all night. We ran simple run plays right into the teeth of them crashing downhill on us, never threw to the RBs, never threw to the TEs. Venables fcked Lashlee raw with no grease.
I still don’t understand why the RB’s weren’t involved in the pass game. I expected that to be a huge part of the game plan. Just a few successes on some easy throws would have forced Venables to back off from attacking the LOS so aggressively. Terrible night from Lashlee.

I love you, dude, but that was no aberration. That was a 60 minute *** stomping. They worked us completely. We had about the same amount of penalty yards and offensive yards, and we just resorted to give up ball on offense because Lashlee had nothing.
Lulz, exactly, when you go sub .500 with losses to FIU, last night was no aberration. Let’s hope that we just start to grow from this but we have seen this movie 15 times now.

Its as simple as this, Clemson has more talent than us AND they are always highly motivated to kill us! Whatever Virginia was able to do doesn't matter. Remember we beat #3 ND 41-3? We certainly weren't talented enough to do that but we were motivated enough to do that!

Motivation matters and Clemson truly hates our guts. They never show respect and they never take their foot off the gas. They humiliated us by destroying our TO chain on tv right after demolishing us. If they could have shut us out on Saturday, they would have. If they could have scored 60 they would have. We're not business as usual for them. Ever. We always get their best shot

Moral victories aside I believe that we closed the gap a little score wise and defensively. We played against a team with 2 day 1 guys on their offense and shot ourselves in the foot more than once.

We're on schedule guys. They're going to beat us again in December lets see if we've closed the gap further.

As an aside I've added Clemson to the teams I despise right along with FSU, ND and OSU!

Fvck Daboo!

O yeah and King needs to just come on back next year. After this game his stock dropped.
Wow, such a head in the sand post. Sure, the sky isn’t falling, but 1 TD by the O is not good.

Advertisement
I don't know if you have to terrify your players to be a great leader, but whatever he's doing isn't working. We went into the Clemson game looking scared to death and unprepared, and they only had a 20% crowd. It seems like Manny talks tough to the media, but the players don't get that vibe from him because they were submissive last night.

All I got from him prior to the Clemson game was his ability to talk about how long it took Clemson to become Clemson. His players heard that. I don’t care what he tried to say afterwards. What he was saying initially wasn’t good enough for my ears. I don’t think he believed he could compete. And quite frankly that’s how they coached!

I’ll say this if it wasn’t for Bubba, 3, and 8, our defense wouldn’t have shown an ounce of fight to me. We have to get Brooks on the field!

We gave up 32 first downs? We could never get off the field on third down. We literally gave a chunk play, after chunk play, after chunk play. We literally gave up anywhere from 3&8 to 3rd and 20. Clemson left about 20 points on the field with their starters, and benched them with 4 minutes left?

They could have scored 60.

Between our offense not doing anything and not having the ability to convert a third down, and our defense not ever being able to get a third down stop, it was a recipe for disaster.

Lashlee called quite a few 50-50 balls while at SMU. He would use those to get himself out of a jam at times. His receivers there would actually compete for the ball. Somehow, we found a way to recruit the softest South Florida players in college football. We have to get the youngsters some burn. Unless you’re going to run the option, there’s no way you can run a competent offense without at least one receiver being able to play the game.

They bracketed Brevin, stacked the box on first, and dared us to throw to our ***** *** WRs. The rest is history.

Note: notice how Mike’s coaching isn’t the topic of discussion anymore? Notice how number five and number 26 have been swallowed up by Bubba’s shadow? Neither of those guys are playing top ACC level ball, and they have been around a lot longer than Bubba. Notice how Clemson used it’s running backs and their TE against us for most of their chunk plays, or anytime they wanted to move the ball. Baker is the weak link. Our linebackers will continue to cost us games until we coach them up and put the right personnel on the field.

Last edited:
Not too often in today's game is a defense hanging with an offense with a pulse. Especially when your offense barely has the ball over a qtr for the entire game with 12 drives and 9 1st downs.
Valid points but to be fair, the Defense couldn’t get off the field either. Clemson drove the ball and scored in nearly every drive in the first half. Additionally, dropped a wide open TD pass that should have made it 28-3, I believe. Our Defense made stupid mistakes, penalties and got scored on with that stupid trick play they pulled on us against Golden. Played like champs? C’mon.

Keyshawn Smith needs to see a lot more of the field. A lot more. I've been waiting for Payton to show, but he looked lost on the field Saturday night. Let's see some more of the young guys as well.

The 3 we have starting are all barely number 3 slot guys. If they aren't wide open and the ball isn't on the numbers, it isn't a catch.

I've been a defender of Manny, but we better run the table or I won't be sorry to see him go.

So they had 4 guys covering 2 TEs, and Lashlee still couldn't do anything? I think you're overestimating how many guys they dedicated to our TEs. Either that, or they were playing with 13 guys on D because you don't take away 2 excellent TEs and still clog up the run in its entirety like they did. There's always an answer on O if a DC dedicates too much man power to stop one element.

They did bracket him to the strong side brother. I actually talked to some other Cane fans about this prior to the game. I told them I wouldn’t be surprised if they bracketed Jordan and forced us to throw to Mallory and the receivers. If I am a DC, why wouldn’t I take him out of the game? Our WRs play like pussies.

Mallory played soft inside. The one matchup play we did call for him was an underthrown ball that resulted in an interception. I agree with you though. We should have thrown a lot more balls to both TEs versus all the balls we wasted on our soft *** wide receivers.

IMO, after venerables showed that he was going to play down the hill on every first down, we should have seen a lot more tight 12 set. But that’s a whole different topic...

Advertisement
Wow, such a head in the sand post. Sure, the sky isn’t falling, but 1 TD by the O is not good.
Not sure why you think that because i'm not being critical of what you're being critical of I don't care. You can care without constantly focusing on what we think isn't working. And nobody disputes the bad offensive showing. Just saying we lost to a better and motivated team. Someone made a great point that we all just wanted a moral victory here. That is true. Deep down we all knew we wouldn't win but we wanted to believe that we were even closer than we appeared. We weren't. But were still on schedule.

Fvck Daboo!

Not that I'm in any way happy with the disaster Saturday night, but enough with the BS from everyone about how Wake scored on Clemson as well. They heard all week how we were back. We got the A game from the team with the number 1 pick in the draft at Quarterback, and another very early first round pick at running back. And they took us behind the woodshed and let us have it.

I'm not surprised Clem$on put 42 on us. I fully expected that with Sunshine and ETN in the backfield. We even had them in 3rd and long several times but couldn't stop them.

What totally surprised me is how their D totally dominated our O and Lashlee had no answer. I expected Clemp$on to show some wrinkles on D and then for Lashlee to make adjustments like he had in the previous 3 games. The fact he didn't was unexpected. It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say at his weekly presser.

Advertisement
Not that I'm in any way happy with the disaster Saturday night, but enough with the BS from everyone about how Wake scored on Clemson as well. They heard all week how we were back. We got the A game from the team with the number 1 pick in the draft at Quarterback, and another very early first round pick at running back. And they took us behind the woodshed and let us have it.
That's all i'm sayin. We definitely have lots of work to do but that team has 25 in a row at home and they heard this new fangled talented ranked UM team was coming in for blood and they weren't having it.

1st half offensive stats

6 drives
22 plays
74 yards
Four 3 and outs
3 points

56 of them 74 came off of King's big run.

So in essence you have 21 plays for 18 yards in the 1st half. Lashlee game plan equaled less than a yard output per play.

The defense played like champs considering the **** Lashlee let slip out his shorts onto the field and decided to call it a game plan.

That was some Patrick Nix level coaching for real. The only difference in this game and the 58 to zero beat down is King and Bolden.

The defense played like ****.

They did not play like champs in consideration of anything! They could never get off the ******* field! Our offense could never convert a third down and our defense could never stop them on third down! Didn’t Clemson have a 17 play drive? We couldn’t get off the field.

Both the offense and the defense played like ****! We gave up 32 first downs!

Manny's problem is that he wants to be cute and liked by all his players....

I would rather have a coach who would terrify the players from making half assed plays and needless penalties
Was having this exact conversation with my son yesterday, he's a Jr at UGA and we were talking about Smart. He knows some of the players and they fear Smart, therefore his team doesn't make countless stupid mistakes.

Manny wants to be buddies with the players and therefore you get that undisciplined mess you saw on Saturday. Manny is not the guy for this job and it is painfully obvious. We are a middle of the pack ACC team with this guy and that's just the truth.

Advertisement
Back