Fireside Flicker with Your Beloved Legend

I didn't expect to win either. But if you watched Old Urine shoot it out with Alabaga last night, that's what I expected us to do. Old Urine came out running and gunning playing with swag and didn't look petrified. They were just as outclassed as we were, but they still went hard and looked competent on O.
I agree with you. I did expect to be much more consistent and effective on offense. I understand that Clemson was in a front thst took away the inside zone and were bracketing Jordan. This left us with 1 on 1 opportunities with our WR vs their CBs. Even given the deficiencies at WR I was somewhat surprised at how they so completely and utterly dominated us in that facet. What I don't understand is why Lashlee didn't anticipate this or why he didn't adjust. I realize that philosophically Lashlee's offense runs by identifying and attacking the 1 on 1 matchups but like I said I was actually shocked that he didn't attemp to get any of our RBs in 1 on 1 with their LBs. I also don't understand why Lash didn't attemp any screens or why we never tried to attack the middle of the field. Why was everything vertical and outside the hashes? That's what bothered me the most.

Defensively yes we never quit but what really made my blood boil were some of the idiotic calls on 3rd and long. Some of our alignments are just head scratching and Baker also makes horrible mistakes calling the wrong coverage shells in the wrong situation. Add the ridiculous penalties and the whole thing just seemed like an unfocused, disorganized mess with a shocking lack of preparation to boot. Vanilla schemes on both sides of the ball as if this staff expected to beat Clemson man on man straight up and out talent them. Just an abortion of epic proportions. Yet even with all that I remain somewhat optimistic. How this squad and this staff react to this will be the most important IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That was a solid breakdown, Chise. I think it struck the right chord. Last night was incredibly disappointing. Like you, I thought we would be able to hang with them a little longer and put together some momentum on offense.

Whether it was penalties or our receivers doing jack ****, we never got into a rhythm; either Clemson put us behind schedule or we shot ourselves in the foot. The only drive where it looked like we might have them against the ropes was when King broke off that huge run. We got up to the line ready to roll and Clemson’s defensive players were not even setup. Dabo knew this and called an incredibly strategic timeout.

With all that said, I’m not as doom and gloom as some others on the board. I think we have a solid team that’s going to win us a ton of games this year. We’re not going to go to the playoffs, but we’re going to be fun to watch most weeks. I think, for this year at least, people need to temper their expectations.

If Manny is truly going to be the guy, he needs to continue to make changes. We’ll see how they respond against Pitt.

My biggest concern despite the usual bad defensive coaching, penalties, now weekly return gaffe, and Wr issues was just that Lashlee didn’t even try to adapt in the second half.

we got a gift on the blocked kick and were down by only 11 after they totally dominated with like 85-90% time of possession in 1 half.

second half with the ball to start expecting some wrinkles, targets to the tight ends, actual diversity of routes, and it was exactly the same as the half we got raped.

I know Clemson has more talent at most positions but the lack of offensive adaptability and maintenance of the KISS principles was beyond idiotic.

They isolated our weakest spots, linebacker and receiver, and forced them to make plays to beat them .They didnt . The middle was wide open last night and we didnt exploit it on offense. I do think it was a deer in the headlights for a lot of our guys. I think some of our younger receivers will get more PT next week and we will see how they do. Lots of idiotic penalties the worst of which were lining up offside twice in a row. Are these guys geometrically challenged?
We need to stay competitive have a decent rest of the season and take advantage of FSU being down in recruiting.. I like the young linebackers we have and Harrison Hunte played well against Clemson. We tend to crash our DE in too often and good running backs can exploit that as Louisville and Etienne did..
SInce the best players we have on the team now are not from S Florida you have to wonder if the State of Miami is what it used to be. Its inexcusable that we have been mediocre at the skill positions for several years .I am hopeful that will change with next years class and so on.

Advertisement
I love you, dude, but that was no aberration. That was a 60 minute *** stomping. They worked us completely. We had about the same amount of penalty yards and offensive yards, and we just resorted to give up ball on offense because Lashlee had nothing.

My question is why. Did Lashlee not prepare? Or did he prepare but the players failed to execute? Or did he prepare and the players executed as he gameplanned but Clemson was just so much better than Lashlee expected, it caught him by surprise? I don't know if it's one of the three or a little bit of each. Its difficult to explain. I think we'd all feel better if Lashlee came right out and said, "I f*cked up and choked on national TV. I didn't make the right adjustments or call the right plays. My gameplan didn't survive first contact but I was too stubborn to adapt. It won't happen again."
As I said this is the 1st time I've seen Lashlee fail. Maybe he needed this humiliation to make him reassess the team and make changes (like taking Pope and Harley out of the lineup and going with Smith and Redding). It's better it happened now and he got thoroughly embarrassed by the best team in the country than if it happened against UNC or VT.

My question is why. Did Lashlee not prepare? Or did he prepare but the players failed to execute? Or did he prepare and the players executed as he gameplanned but Clemson was just so much better than Lashlee expected, it caught him by surprise? I don't know if it's one of the three or a little bit of each. Its difficult to explain. I think we'd all feel better if Lashlee came right out and said, "I f*cked up and choked on national TV. I didn't make the right adjustments or call the right plays. My gameplan didn't survive first contact but I was too stubborn to adapt. It won't happen again."
As I said this is the 1st time I've seen Lashlee fail. Maybe he needed this humiliation to make him reassess the team and make changes (like taking Pope and Harley out of the lineup and going with Smith and Redding). It's better it happened now and he got thoroughly embarrassed by the best team in the country than if it happened against UNC or VT.
Good post. It's a very accurate picture of the way I see the situation. I have the same questions and frankly I'm at a complete loss in regards to trying to theorize the reason for Lashlee's performance on Saturday.

Critically important that the team finish out the rest of the year strong so we maintain recruiting momentum. Manny is heading in the right direction (overall). He deserves our support for the rest of the season. This upcoming recruiting class (together with D'Eriq's decision to stay or go) will largely determine Manny's fate as HC. Gotta put this loss behind and finish the season strong. Go Canes.

Advertisement
Excellent post and you nailed what most of us are thinking.

I'm not as annoyed with the Defense as I am with the Offense. Clemson were always going to score large, especially with the weaknesses we have at LB and CB.

What I don't understand is Lashlee. It comes down to two things. Is he not capable/deer in the headlights and not able to make adjustments? Or is he too arrogant and not willing to bend past his gameplan, if we can even call it that? Maybe the former can be improved but the latter is worrying. Both are not good traits realistically.

Pittsburgh really is the test, especially how we come out. Flat and uninspired and that's who Manny is.

If we come out angry and take care of business, then maybe Manny has a shot.

The penalties is 1000000000000% coaching and seem to be a rather worrying staple of Manny Diaz's tenure.

Not sure how that is going to be fixed.

Also, get Amari Carter off my team bro

to me, the rest of the season( lets call it AC- 'After Clemson') is where will see the effectiveness of Manny's leadership and the character of this program. If they flounder and falter (like they did in 17 and 13 after big game losses), then nothing has changed and it's time for Blake James to at least start compiling a list of names to replace him.( and yeah, James being in charge of this does not make me feel good)

Now, if they can actually rebound and win every game they should be reasonably expected to, OK, we got hope. To me, this season is about putting out a productive and entertaining product that will be enticing to recruits that can be a part of this rebuild .

It all starts with Pitt.
If we’re serious about football, start by getting rid of Blake James, then go for Urban. The latter is unrealistic, but you gotta try. No more OJT for head coaches or any other coach. I have zero faith that Blake James knows how to hire head coaches for any sport.

Advertisement
1st half offensive stats

6 drives
22 plays
74 yards
Four 3 and outs
3 points

56 of them 74 came off of King's big run.

So in essence you have 21 plays for 18 yards in the 1st half. Lashlee game plan equaled less than a yard output per play.

The defense played like champs considering the **** Lashlee let slip out his shorts onto the field and decided to call it a game plan.

That was some Patrick Nix level coaching for real. The only difference in this game and the 58 to zero beat down is King and Bolden.

1st half offensive stats

6 drives
22 plays
74 yards
Four 3 and outs
3 points

So in essence you have 21 plays for 18 yards in the 1st half. Lashlee game plan equaled less than a yard output per play.

The defense played like champs considering the **** Lashlee let slip out his shorts onto the field and decided to call it a game plan.

That was some Patrick Nix level coaching for real. The only difference in this game and the 58 to zero beat down is King and Bolden.
That is Absolutely Deplorable....

1st half offensive stats

6 drives
22 plays
74 yards
Four 3 and outs
3 points

Not sure defense and champs should ever be used together to describe our D until they prove they can hang with an offense with a pulse for an entire game. Our D gave up more points to Clemson than any other ACC opponent thus far.

Advertisement
Not sure defense and champs should ever be used together to describe our D until they prove they can hang with an offense with a pulse for an entire game. Our D gave up more points to Clemson than any other ACC opponent thus far.
Not too often in today's game is a defense hanging with an offense with a pulse. Especially when your offense barely has the ball over a qtr for the entire game with 12 drives and 9 1st downs.

Not too often in today's game is a defense hanging with an offense with a pulse. Especially when your offense barely has the ball over a qtr for the entire game with 12 drives and 9 1st downs.
Good D’s will step up when needed. Sure, they can also give up some points in games, but forcing turnovers are important too, not just yards and points. This isnt a world of absolutes. LSU held Clemson to 25 points in the NC game and Oklahoma to 28 points in the semis last year. Yards were lower (below 400) too.
In 2019 Clemson held Bama to 19 points in the NC game.

These defenses held the offenses to well below their averages. They stepped up against offenses with a pulse.

Last edited:
We’re a poorly coached team. How many penalties extending their drives they were about to punt on? Like 5? A few bs calls but the D largely played well considering they were playing vs a team taking advantage of the holes in our scheme all night.

Lashlee can **** himself and die. We’re going to see that blue print every week so buckle up. Let’s see if stubborn OC and “can’t come anywhere near a WR” king do much of anything all year

We’re a poorly coached team. How many penalties extending their drives they were about to punt on? Like 5? A few bs calls but the D largely played well considering they were playing vs a team taking advantage of the holes in our scheme all night.

Lashlee can **** himself and die. We’re going to see that blue print every week so buckle up. Let’s see if stubborn OC and “can’t come anywhere near a WR” king do much of anything all year
Try to keep in mind that we didn't have a spring practice and had an abbreviated fall practice and it's his first year with leftover players. Maybe he can just **** himself for now and die later if he shts the bed again?

One thing's for sure, after a performance where the offense looked that impotent, the honeymoon's over.

Advertisement
Back