Fireside Flicker with Your Beloved Legend

I see how Manny soft-stepped into this game, and then I see who Kiffin went at Baga with his nuts out. Different approaches. Both underdogs lost, but at least they showed up and didn't look intimidated. Leadership can NEVER be underestimated.
Kiffin was poking the bear prior to their match up as well. I could accept losing, I wanted to lose to Clemson in the fashion that Ole Miss lost to Bama. In the end, Bama is far more talented than Ole Miss. But Ole Miss knew they gave Bama their best given the talent on the roster. We can't say the same about us with Clemson.

Advertisement
Excellent post and you nailed what most of us are thinking.

I'm not as annoyed with the Defense as I am with the Offense. Clemson were always going to score large, especially with the weaknesses we have at LB and CB.

What I don't understand is Lashlee. It comes down to two things. Is he not capable/deer in the headlights and not able to make adjustments? Or is he too arrogant and not willing to bend past his gameplan, if we can even call it that? Maybe the former can be improved but the latter is worrying. Both are not good traits realistically.

Pittsburgh really is the test, especially how we come out. Flat and uninspired and that's who Manny is.

If we come out angry and take care of business, then maybe Manny has a shot.
I suspect that it's a really, really simple offence that can't operate when you're THAT outmatched.

I've said elsewhere, the only real solution to the Spread right now is having significantly better athletes on D than they have on O. Clemson had that.

Still doesn't excuse ignoring the RBs and Mallory tho (assuming Brevin WAS bracketed all game).

I don't think Mark Pope would be an effective receiver in the UM flag football intramural leagues. Games are too physical. Kid has the opposite of dog in him while essentially playing like he's Harley's size instead of the 6'1" he's listed at.

I really miss KJ Osborn this year....not that it would've made an iota of difference on Saturday night.

@The Franchise: Manny says all the right things and seems to really care about this program and this city. He also seems to be trying to fix what he thinks are the issues dragging this program down. However, caring and trying are no guarantees for success if you don't have those hard to find qualities that make a HC succeed at Miami.
I'm just curious, How much time you will wait before you start giving up on him and start asking for a change?

I keep seeing people say they aren't as frustrated about the D as they are the offense, as if somehow Lashlee ****ting the bed absolves Bakers complete ineptitude as a DC.

We were never going to shut down Sunshine and ETN, and the O possessing the ball for a whopping 30 seconds in the first half didn't do the D any favors, but we didn't have to give up 735 3rd and longs and let Clemson stay on the field either. We're now dead last in all of D1 in explosive plays allowed.

Its been discussed ad nauseum about our pre-snap alignment, ill-timed stunts and ineffective blitzes that take chunks of our front 7 out of the play. Our gap integrity and contain (particularly Roche) are both ***. Baker makes calls as if he's a 5 year old playing Madden for the first time and just picks they play with the most squiggly lines regardless of down & distance or situation.

We've given up points on the first drive of each game this year, but apparently that's excusable because those drives were scripted. I'm sure the other 129 FBS DC's ***** in their sleep at the thought of opposing OC's gameplanning for their scheme. Guess we should just concede points to start every game, wouldn't want to put such lofty expectations on poor Blake Baker.

Now after getting smoked against Clemson, his white knights are crowing about how hard the D played as if that is some moral victory that could only be achieved with him as DC. We got our **** pushed in, but at least the D played hard, that's the Miami standard under Baker? Imagine being one of those kids who played their *** off and still got lit up because your DC is way out of his league and constantly puts you and your teammates in a position to fail. Do you really think Bubba Bolden and Sam Brooks played hard because they knew Baker was going to call a delayed safety blitz on 3rd and long, or is it possible they're football players who wanted to win and thats just how they're wired?

Clemson was always going to score, but we didn't have to make it easier for them. Baker isn't nearly as clever as some of you give him credit for and his scheme and tendencies aren't doing anything to make up for the talent gap we'll face against the Alpha teams. His flavor of D may work against lesser teams, and if your goal is to beat up on average ACC competition so you can thump your chest over defensive stats, knowing your ceiling is being Clemsons warm-up for the CFP every few years, then he's your guy. But if you ever want to have a shot of knocking Clemson off their throne, he's not it.

Lashlee deserves every ounce of criticism coming his way, and some of the early struggles against UAB that I chalked up to new OC, new system, first game, feel a bit more ominous now that we've played a good defense and he cowered into a hole. The next few games are going to speak volumes about him as our OC but up until Saturday night he was the goods, so the jury is still out on him long-term. Baker on the other hand is who he's always been: a poor man's Manny Diaz.

Advertisement
@The Franchise: Manny says all the right things and seems to really care about this program and this city. He also seems to be trying to fix what he thinks are the issues dragging this program down. However, caring and trying are no guarantees for success if you don't have those hard to find qualities that make a HC succeed at Miami.
I'm just curious, How much time you will wait before you start giving up on him and start asking for a change?
Not franchise but year 1 was already thin ice for Manny. I think if we lose more than 4 total this year (including bowl) the admin needs to seriously look next year (thought so last year but he did make changes).

Attrition or not, we have guys in the portal like Phillips, Bolden, Borregales, King who have given us a jolt and generally on paper we have out recruited all the remaining teams on our schedule over the past 3-4 years (UNC starting to gain).

We SHOULD win out. But giving a small grace period for new offensive staff and qb. But no way should we lose more than 4 total. 8 wins plus post bowl is my boundary and not having another late season embarrassment. Anything less and he needs to get out ASAP.

Lose to Pitt, and I'll be the band director. It's a super short leash for me because of the abortion of last season and then completely no-showing against Clemson. Go out there and start stumbling and bumbling against mediocre ACC teams, and it's time for him to move on. This season had to be one of enormous progress, and it still can be. But if it isn't, then he needs to go.

Advertisement
The Canes’ needs became obvious in this game and exposed the ugly truth that we are about 30 points worse than Clemson, maybe less if Clemson doesn’t have a Top 5 pick at QB and a RB that could be starting in the NFL.
I digress, Miami got outcoached and outplayed. It was a complete team loss. The only solution is for the staff to keep getting better and to recruit better players, more specifically and urgently at WR, OL, CB, and LB. Lol. Basically, half of each side of the ball.
Not only will the rest of the year be an indictment on the program but if we meet these fvckers in the ACCCG and we play the same Optimist Football bullsh!t then that’ll tell me all I need.

They came out and threw a couple screens to slow up our rush. We through one bubble screen and not one the rest of the game. Idk what all Lashlee could’ve done but keep trying inside zone after is hasn’t worked all game. I will say as bad as we played it was 21-10 in the 3rd quarter in deep in Clemson territory and then we throw a pick and the game is essential over. Offense as a whole needs to get tougher. Oh and DJ Ivey needs to be dogged out by the coaches for that tackle “attempt” on ettine

It's amazing how their backups, even the slower footed ones with a more pasty skin tone, played light years faster than us. Those guys are coached up and know their reads and react instantly. Watching McCloud on all of the replays, being a 5th yr senior and still playing that confused is troubling. Many and his gang have been here way too long to be that lost and confused on defense

Advertisement
I keep seeing people say they aren't as frustrated about the D as they are the offense, as if somehow Lashlee ****ting the bed absolves Bakers complete ineptitude as a DC.

We were never going to shut down Sunshine and ETN, and the O possessing the ball for a whopping 30 seconds in the first half didn't do the D any favors, but we didn't have to give up 735 3rd and longs and let Clemson stay on the field either. We're now dead last in all of D1 in explosive plays allowed.

Its been discussed ad nauseum about our pre-snap alignment, ill-timed stunts and ineffective blitzes that take chunks of our front 7 out of the play. Our gap integrity and contain (particularly Roche) are both ***. Baker makes calls as if he's a 5 year old playing Madden for the first time and just picks they play with the most squiggly lines regardless of down & distance or situation.

We've given up points on the first drive of each game this year, but apparently that's excusable because those drives were scripted. I'm sure the other 129 FBS DC's ***** in their sleep at the thought of opposing OC's gameplanning for their scheme. Guess we should just concede points to start every game, wouldn't want to put such lofty expectations on poor Blake Baker.

Now after getting smoked against Clemson, his white knights are crowing about how hard the D played as if that is some moral victory that could only be achieved with him as DC. We got our **** pushed in, but at least the D played hard, that's the Miami standard under Baker? Imagine being one of those kids who played their *** off and still got lit up because your DC is way out of his league and constantly puts you and your teammates in a position to fail. Do you really think Bubba Bolden and Sam Brooks played hard because they knew Baker was going to call a delayed safety blitz on 3rd and long, or is it possible they're football players who wanted to win and thats just how they're wired?

Clemson was always going to score, but we didn't have to make it easier for them. Baker isn't nearly as clever as some of you give him credit for and his scheme and tendencies aren't doing anything to make up for the talent gap we'll face against the Alpha teams. His flavor of D may work against lesser teams, and if your goal is to beat up on average ACC competition so you can thump your chest over defensive stats, knowing your ceiling is being Clemsons warm-up for the CFP every few years, then he's your guy. But if you ever want to have a shot of knocking Clemson off their throne, he's not it.

Lashlee deserves every ounce of criticism coming his way, and some of the early struggles against UAB that I chalked up to new OC, new system, first game, feel a bit more ominous now that we've played a good defense and he cowered into a hole. The next few games are going to speak volumes about him as our OC but up until Saturday night he was the goods, so the jury is still out on him long-term. Baker on the other hand is who he's always been: a poor man's Manny Diaz.
You nailed it 100000%. **** is worrying.

Good write up. It summarizes my feelings too.

I rewatched parts of the LSU-Clemson game Sunday and what I saw: Clemson came out the same with what seemed to me to be the same defensive attack (leave the CBs on an island and blitz LBs often). LSU got rocked initially but had the OL to give Burrow some time. LSU beat it with pinpoint slants and their WRs beating the CBs albeit not by much but with Burrow throwing them open. LSU's CBs were much more aggressive in taking away sideline routes too.

I don't know what is going on in practice but our ball skills for WRs and DBs is and has been atrocious. We don't seem to locate, react and fight to even average CFB levels.

Some of the problem correction is schematic in terms of covering more aggressively and nott his rigid sit back in a zone and react only t tackle a guy AFTER they make a 10 yard catch. Part is coaching up our ball skills and part is evaluating and recruiting WRs. Maybe we need to get some portal help at WR which would be an indictment of our staff's talent evaluation and development given that florida produces quality WR like we do oranges. I do think we're making some progress on OL though.
LSU had 3 first round draft picks at WR that they threw at Clemson. (Jefferson and soon to be Chase and Marshall).

We have to upgrade the WR spot. Its disappointing because I thought Harley, Wiggins and Pope would turn the corner this year. I wont completely throw them in the trash yet but they need to show up or move to the side the rest of the season.

Good writeup, Chise. I am happy to see you are not yet leading the march to bail on Manny just yet. I was pretty much expecting to read that from you. LOL. I am willing to give Manny and his crew another chance to redeem themselves. But the leash is very short.

Advertisement
You can't do stupid stuff like line up offside like Roche did on the first drive. You can't blow any chances against #1 on the road and expect to win. Roche flashes, but he needs to be more disciplined or he's hurting his draft status.

to me, the rest of the season( lets call it AC- 'After Clemson') is where will see the effectiveness of Manny's leadership and the character of this program. If they flounder and falter (like they did in 17 and 13 after big game losses), then nothing has changed and it's time for Blake James to at least start compiling a list of names to replace him.( and yeah, James being in charge of this does not make me feel good)

Now, if they can actually rebound and win every game they should be reasonably expected to, OK, we got hope. To me, this season is about putting out a productive and entertaining product that will be enticing to recruits that can be a part of this rebuild .

It all starts with Pitt.
If he has any integrity or decency, he can go ahead and resign as well.

Lose to Pitt, and I'll be the band director. It's a super short leash for me because of the abortion of last season and then completely no-showing against Clemson. Go out there and start stumbling and bumbling against mediocre ACC teams, and it's time for him to move on. This season had to be one of enormous progress, and it still can be. But if it isn't, then he needs to go.
I'm with you. We've seen this movie too many times before. I actually was very hard on him end of last year and thought there was no excuse how the season ended. But with the changes he made in the off season and the portal additions of exceptional players I thought he did what he could and wanted to give him another chance. Next game and UNC game will be telling us a lot,

It looks like everyone's got a segment now, so this beatdown has probably been hot-taked to death already. So I'll be brief.

This was eerily similar wasn't it? We've seen this buildup and letdown so many times they should put the Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown image on the side of the helmet instead of the U. They toyed with us, and we were NEVER a threat. I don't understand how teams like UNC and Pitt and Syracuse can do things, but we couldn't even breathe in that game.

Quick takes:
Bubba Bolden is about the only guy who would start on Clemson's team. We were so clearly overmatched it was obvious from about 5 snaps in. 5 snaps in I'm thinking "Just don't give up and get humiliated and lose by 60." I knew they were better than us before the game and didn't expect to win, but I did expect us to not be the little kid getting straight armed to the forehead while he wails away at his dad's kneecaps and doesn't come within 5 feet of hitting him.

Venables bent Lashlee over, ballgagged him, and gimped him. If we were ever going to take a run at Clemson's D with our O this was going to be the year with them breaking in all those new players. Not even close. They suffocated us like a giant boa constrictor squeezing the life out of a weasel. They were where we were supposed to be before we got there. It's like they knew our plays better than we did.

When we hired Lashlee, the one game that scared me was how FAU so thoroughly *** raped him in the bowl game. This game reminded me of that but 20 times worse. He had no answers for anything and seemed intent on forcing a running game that never stood a chance all game until he just started chucking it deep and hoping for PI calls.

Lashlee's still a big upgrade over what we had, but what we saw yesterday was atrocious. He was outclassed. UVA looked better against them than we did. I'd expect UNC to move it on them too and not look like Pee Wee rejects like we did.

Our WRs looked like punks out there too. Feeble. King threw some balls that they could have battled for, and they would just fall down instead and cry for a flag. They don't adjust to the ball in the air and have no dog in them whatsoever. I'd empty the bench immediately and see if any of the backups have any guts. I'd start with Keyshawn Smith because no one's come close to covering him this year. He's always five yards behind everyone he plays.

Where was the TE throw game? That's an advantage we should have had but never really attempted to exploit other than 2 or 3 throws. Lashlee outsmarted himself on that one.

Our OL is better, but they got their pussies stomped out. Clemson did them like we did FSU the week prior.

Defensively, we battled, and, like I said, I love Bubba B. But our LBs are sooooooo fcking slow and useless. And you can't beat or even compete with a team like that when you're giving up 3rd and 8+ over and over and over. Unlike the O, the D at least battled and had a pulse. Lawrence is a generational player, and he's going to make plays. I said going it that this was either going to be a shootout or a blowout because we weren't going to stop Lawrence. Well, we saw what happened.

We'll see what happens with Manny. I actually like the guy. Seems like a hard worker and he really cares, but he just might not have that ability to push the right buttons. THat's an art form, and most don't have it. That's why it's so hard to find a great HC. We'll see if it's what we all suspect it is coming up the next several weeks. If we get in another series of dog fights with the teams coming up, then it's just same old Miami. This can either be a blip in a season of progress, or it can be same old Miami.
I used a snake example as well for Venerables and Lashlee , I just used a python squeezing the life out of him.

Advertisement
Back