Fireside Flicker with Your Beloved Legend

The Franchise

The Best EVER
Premium
It looks like everyone's got a segment now, so this beatdown has probably been hot-taked to death already. So I'll be brief.

This was eerily similar wasn't it? We've seen this buildup and letdown so many times they should put the Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown image on the side of the helmet instead of the U. They toyed with us, and we were NEVER a threat. I don't understand how teams like UNC and Pitt and Syracuse can do things, but we couldn't even breathe in that game.

Quick takes:
Bubba Bolden is about the only guy who would start on Clemson's team. We were so clearly overmatched it was obvious from about 5 snaps in. 5 snaps in I'm thinking "Just don't give up and get humiliated and lose by 60." I knew they were better than us before the game and didn't expect to win, but I did expect us to not be the little kid getting straight armed to the forehead while he wails away at his dad's kneecaps and doesn't come within 5 feet of hitting him.

Venables bent Lashlee over, ballgagged him, and gimped him. If we were ever going to take a run at Clemson's D with our O this was going to be the year with them breaking in all those new players. Not even close. They suffocated us like a giant boa constrictor squeezing the life out of a weasel. They were where we were supposed to be before we got there. It's like they knew our plays better than we did.

When we hired Lashlee, the one game that scared me was how FAU so thoroughly *** raped him in the bowl game. This game reminded me of that but 20 times worse. He had no answers for anything and seemed intent on forcing a running game that never stood a chance all game until he just started chucking it deep and hoping for PI calls.

Lashlee's still a big upgrade over what we had, but what we saw yesterday was atrocious. He was outclassed. UVA looked better against them than we did. I'd expect UNC to move it on them too and not look like Pee Wee rejects like we did.

Our WRs looked like punks out there too. Feeble. King threw some balls that they could have battled for, and they would just fall down instead and cry for a flag. They don't adjust to the ball in the air and have no dog in them whatsoever. I'd empty the bench immediately and see if any of the backups have any guts. I'd start with Keyshawn Smith because no one's come close to covering him this year. He's always five yards behind everyone he plays.

Where was the TE throw game? That's an advantage we should have had but never really attempted to exploit other than 2 or 3 throws. Lashlee outsmarted himself on that one.

Our OL is better, but they got their pussies stomped out. Clemson did them like we did FSU the week prior.

Defensively, we battled, and, like I said, I love Bubba B. But our LBs are sooooooo fcking slow and useless. And you can't beat or even compete with a team like that when you're giving up 3rd and 8+ over and over and over. Unlike the O, the D at least battled and had a pulse. Lawrence is a generational player, and he's going to make plays. I said going it that this was either going to be a shootout or a blowout because we weren't going to stop Lawrence. Well, we saw what happened.

We'll see what happens with Manny. I actually like the guy. Seems like a hard worker and he really cares, but he just might not have that ability to push the right buttons. THat's an art form, and most don't have it. That's why it's so hard to find a great HC. We'll see if it's what we all suspect it is coming up the next several weeks. If we get in another series of dog fights with the teams coming up, then it's just same old Miami. This can either be a blip in a season of progress, or it can be same old Miami.

Advertisement
to me, the rest of the season( lets call it AC- 'After Clemson') is where will see the effectiveness of Manny's leadership and the character of this program. If they flounder and falter (like they did in 17 and 13 after big game losses), then nothing has changed and it's time for Blake James to at least start compiling a list of names to replace him.( and yeah, James being in charge of this does not make me feel good)

Now, if they can actually rebound and win every game they should be reasonably expected to, OK, we got hope. To me, this season is about putting out a productive and entertaining product that will be enticing to recruits that can be a part of this rebuild .

It all starts with Pitt.

to me, the rest of the season( lets call it AC- 'After Clemson') is where will see the effectiveness of Manny's leadership and the character of this program. If they flounder and falter (like they did in 17 and 13 after big game losses), then nothing has changed and it's time for Blake James to at least start compiling a list of names to replace him.( and yeah, James being in charge of this does not make me feel good)

Now, if they can actually rebound and win every game they should be reasonably expected to, OK, we got hope. To me, this season is about putting out a productive and entertaining product that will be enticing to recruits that can be a part of this rebuild .

It all starts with Pitt.
We can still run the table and should. But I've seen this show too many times to have any legit expectation that will happen.

I was just watching my DVR of the Baga/Old Urine game. Baga on their first drive, and they have a young WR named Metchie. He's the next great one there, and he was out front blocking for Devontae Smith on a TD and latched onto the DB and drove him off the screen for 15 yards. Metchie isn't huge and probably isn't the strongest guy in the world, but he's a dog. We don't have that.

It looks like everyone's got a segment now, so this beatdown has probably been hot-taked to death already. So I'll be brief.

This was eerily similar wasn't it? We've seen this buildup and letdown so many times they should put the Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown image on the side of the helmet instead of the U. They toyed with us, and we were NEVER a threat. I don't understand how teams like UNC and Pitt and Syracuse can do things, but we couldn't even breathe in that game.

Quick takes:
Bubba Bolden is about the only guy who would start on Clemson's team. We were so clearly overmatched it was obvious from about 5 snaps in. 5 snaps in I'm thinking "Just don't give up and get humiliated and lose by 60." I knew they were better than us before the game and didn't expect to win, but I did expect us to not be the little kid getting straight armed to the forehead while he wails away at his dad's kneecaps and doesn't come within 5 feet of hitting him.

Venables bent Lashlee over, ballgagged him, and gimped him. If we were ever going to take a run at Clemson's D with our O this was going to be the year with them breaking in all those new players. Not even close. They suffocated us like a giant boa constrictor squeezing the life out of a weasel. They were where we were supposed to be before we got there. It's like they knew our plays better than we did.

When we hired Lashlee, the one game that scared me was how FAU so thoroughly *** raped him in the bowl game. This game reminded me of that but 20 times worse. He had no answers for anything and seemed intent on forcing a running game that never stood a chance all game until he just started chucking it deep and hoping for PI calls.

Lashlee's still a big upgrade over what we had, but what we saw yesterday was atrocious. He was outclassed. UVA looked better against them than we did. I'd expect UNC to move it on them too and not look like Pee Wee rejects like we did.

Our WRs looked like punks out there too. Feeble. King threw some balls that they could have battled for, and they would just fall down instead and cry for a flag. They don't adjust to the ball in the air and have no dog in them whatsoever. I'd empty the bench immediately and see if any of the backups have any guts. I'd start with Keyshawn Smith because no one's come close to covering him this year. He's always five yards behind everyone he plays.

Where was the TE throw game? That's an advantage we should have had but never really attempted to exploit other than 2 or 3 throws. Lashlee outsmarted himself on that one.

Our OL is better, but they got their pussies stomped out. Clemson did them like we did FSU the week prior.

Defensively, we battled, and, like I said, I love Bubba B. But our LBs are sooooooo fcking slow and useless. And you can't beat or even compete with a team like that when you're giving up 3rd and 8+ over and over and over. Unlike the O, the D at least battled and had a pulse. Lawrence is a generational player, and he's going to make plays. I said going it that this was either going to be a shootout or a blowout because we weren't going to stop Lawrence. Well, we saw what happened.

We'll see what happens with Manny. I actually like the guy. Seems like a hard worker and he really cares, but he just might not have that ability to push the right buttons. THat's an art form, and most don't have it. That's why it's so hard to find a great HC. We'll see if it's what we all suspect it is coming up the next several weeks. If we get in another series of dog fights with the teams coming up, then it's just same old Miami. This can either be a blip in a season of progress, or it can be same old Miami.

Manny's problem is that he wants to be cute and liked by all his players....

I would rather have a coach who would terrify the players from making half assed plays and needless penalties

The defense started the game nearly identically as the ACCCG that they embarrassed us in.

this defense has been the same thing for six years now. Against lesser squads it’s a bully. But we’ll coached, experienced, and talent filled offenses have worked us and will continue to do so as long as this flawed system is still used here.

Advertisement
Manny's problem is that he wants to be cute and liked by all his players....

I would rather have a coach who would terrify the players from making half assed plays and needless penalties
I don't know if you have to terrify your players to be a great leader, but whatever he's doing isn't working. We went into the Clemson game looking scared to death and unprepared, and they only had a 20% crowd. It seems like Manny talks tough to the media, but the players don't get that vibe from him because they were submissive last night.

We can still run the table and should. But I've seen this show too many times to have any legit expectation that will happen.

I was just watching my DVR of the Baga/Old Urine game. Baga on their first drive, and they have a young WR named Metchie. He's the next great one there, and he was out front blocking for Devontae Smith on a TD and latched onto the DB and drove him off the screen for 15 yards. Metchie isn't huge and probably isn't the strongest guy in the world, but he's a dog. We don't have that.

Chise, Im with you. To me, every game moving forward is a referendum on Manny and this program, bottom line. Yeah, it seems harsh, but that's where things stand with me right now. They need to be 'Missouri' -- show me.

As for Bama-Ole Miss, I was with @CanesAreAble last night watching the game, and we had that game on my computer. Honestly, Lane Kiffin with his clever schemes and concepts impressed the **** out of me. I knew that they would run out of steam but they gave Bama ****. Guy might be on oddball and weirdo, but the guy can X-and-O with the best of them, and he's evolved his offense throughout the years

The defense started the game nearly identically as the ACCCG that they embarrassed us in.

this defense has been the same thing for six years now. Against lesser squads it’s a bully. But we’ll coached, experienced, and talent filled offenses have worked us and will continue to do so as long as this flawed system is still used here.
The D has been worked by plenty of average talent over the years too. If the QB is even decent, there are plays all over the field. When it's a guy like Lawrence, it's just a mismatch.

Essentially, I could just change the title to Upon Further Review and save myself a bunch of hours. The truth is, the coaching staff got crushed in this game.

The reason those other teams haven't seen the boa constrictor is because Clemson did give two bleeps in most of those games. In this one, it was clear Dabo and Venables challenged them to make an example of the Hurricanes trying to challenge them.

It was a case of a team making it personal against a team they didn't belong on the field with. I will still be disappointed with anything but 10-1, but teams have a blueprint to get up in the WR's and force them to separate and take away that inside-zone run that has always been my biggest Lashlee complaint.

Advertisement

Quick takes:

Per usual, I absolutely agree with your post!

As I mentioned in another thread, the PITT game is pivotal and not just because it happens to be the next game on the schedule. They have a real D, a talented QB and decent coaching. If Lashlee wants to regain his mojo, he needs to really have our O prepared for this next game. We can't just rely on King to scramble our way through any games against decent teams.

I like Manny too and also want him to succeed. And, I agree that we don't know yet whether or not he has "it" to take us to the next level. He and his staff will be fighting for their careers over the next 8 games (assuming we go bowling). We'll have more talent than anyone left on the schedule except for UNC, and I suspect that we have more talent from top to bottom.

Manny and Lashlee's very careers on the line and they have the weapons to go undefeated the rest of the way. I'll be rooting for them. Let's beat PITT.

After six years I am certain that having no run fits, force players, or consistent leverage assignments is part of the design of the scheme.

Manny thinks by having guys just run wildly through holes it will create enough havoc to confuse teams, and against the FSUs of the world, it can work.

Against the Wisconsin’s and Clemsons and LSUs, it is completely exposed over and over and over again.

Essentially, I could just change the title to Upon Further Review and save myself a bunch of hours. The truth is, the coaching staff got crushed in this game.

The reason those other teams haven't seen the boa constrictor is because Clemson did give two bleeps in most of those games. In this one, it was clear Dabo and Venables challenged them to make an example of the Hurricanes trying to challenge them.

It was a case of a team making it personal against a team they didn't belong on the field with. I will still be disappointed with anything but 10-1, but teams have a blueprint to get up in the WR's and force them to separate and take away that inside-zone run that has always been my biggest Lashlee complaint.
Did you watch the SMU/FAU bowl game, Lance? It was kind of similar to last night. Lashlee couldn't get anything going all game. They scored a couple garbage TDs, but FAU completely dominated an SMU offense that had been humming all season.

We looked like we didn't even belong on the same field with those guys last night. It was a sobering slap in the face what a gigantic chasm there is between the two programs. They toyed with us and seemed to know everything we were doing.

I've seen Venables struggle with some tempo spread teams in the past and felt we had a shot to at least put some numbers up in a loss, but we never threatened them. The offensive game plan became toss it deep to scrawny WRs who would never come back for the ball and hope that their flailing an stumbling would be construed as PI.

Quick takes:

In a non-Covid season, we don't have this. We'd be coming off a win at Michigan State and I think cruising undefeated to another beatdown in the acc championship game. Probably finish 11-2 and I guaran-god****-tee some posters would say that that getting blasted by Clemson in the acc championship proves that Miami still isn't close to championship caliber despite an 11 win season in year 2. Would be similar Kinda like Clemson getting smoked 70-33 by West Virginia in Dabo's 4th year. I guess the one good thing about Clemson sucking for so many years is that they didn't have fans that thought Dabo should have started ****ting championship trophies the day he arrived. Diaz's biggest f*ck up of the season is not whining enough about playing Clemson like Florida did about playing Bama. If we'd just finished working over Notre Dame, we'd all be feeling a lot better.

Advertisement

@Lance Roffers is there a way you can list a few Offense options/schemes we should have tried with our actual lack of WR talent and how poorly our OL performed?

@The Franchise

I put a breakdown up earlier and you know I never do that. Me and you saw the same thing. Everything Clemson did was to get those LBs in space and dominate the middle of the field. Everything. We started forcing punts once we took it away. We did nothing to isolate their well coached linebackers with speed/our TEs so that we could do the same.

I don’t get it. How could I pick all that up by watching a half of the UVA game while they had 2 weeks to prepare?

In a non-Covid season, we don't have this. We'd be coming off a win at Michigan State and I think cruising undefeated to another beatdown in the acc championship game. Probably finish 11-2 and I guaran-god****-tee some posters would say that that getting blasted by Clemson in the acc championship proves that Miami still isn't close to championship caliber despite an 11 win season in year 2. Would be similar Kinda like Clemson getting smoked 70-33 by West Virginia in Dabo's 4th year. I guess the one good thing about Clemson sucking for so many years is that they didn't have fans that thought Dabo should have started ****ting championship trophies the day he arrived. Diaz's biggest f*ck up of the season is not whining enough about playing Clemson like Florida did about playing Bama. If we'd just finished working over Notre Dame, we'd all be feeling a lot better.
I'm not sure what this means or what it has to do with last night. I appreciate your optimism, friend, but there was nothing to be proud of last night. We no showed and got completely dominated and humiliated.

Trying to equate this to Clemson getting it rolling 10 years ago under Dabo is fine if it makes it more palatable, but I don't see why this is the same. You can just as easily say it's like the dozens of other once-great programs that have struggled forever with one bad HC hire after another.

Advertisement

Quick takes:

I agree with much of what you said especially Lashlee's game plan and lack of adjustments. I also agree with you about our WRs. Weak and feeble. At least our starting 3 were. They couldn't adjust to the ball in the air which is supposed to be an advantage for the offense. Instead they would fall down like a pee wee outfielder try to catch a pop fly. The WRs had no fight. They could have prevented at least 1 interception and caught a few 50/50 balls if they showed some heart. I need to see the younger WRs get more snaps who are willing to fight for the ball.

I think Clemson took our TEs out of the game because they played man coverage on on WRs with zero safety help. This allowed their safeties to double our TEs and give additional run support.

Venables game plan was pretty simple. Take away their best options and make them beat us with their worst options. Clemson stacked the box and gave each guy gap responsibility. So, on runs their LBs were just shooting the gap they were responsible for and because they had more in the box than we could block, they stuffed our running game.

I thought Lashee should have reverted his passing attack. He should have sent the WRs on short crossing routes to set picks for the TEs and RBs and have the RBs and TEs go deep to create space. We had one opportunity where Mallory was 1 v 1 in space and King placed the ball in the wrong place for a pick. We need our big guys in space. Play more 2 TE and 2 RB sets. In fact I'd go with 2 TEs and 2RBs and 1 WR. Those are our best offensive mismatch players. You send both TEs down the seams and the RBs on wheel routes.

Conversely, Baker had no plan to take away or limit Etienne. That was inexcusable.

Hopefully we get a 2nd chance at these guys and our coaching staff has a better game plan.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this means or what it has to do with last night. I appreciate your optimism, friend, but there was nothing to be proud of last night. We no showed and got completely dominated and humiliated.

Trying to equate this to Clemson getting it rolling 10 years ago under Dabo is fine if it makes it more palatable, but I don't see why this is the same. You can just as easily say it's like the dozens of other once-great programs that have struggled forever with one bad HC hire after another.

Agreed there is nothing to be proud of, but there are two ways to look at it.

1. It is an indictment of the staff's ability to prepare the team
2. It was an aberration

Last year Miami lost to several G5 teams and couldn't win a road game. So far this year we've won the games we were supposed to. Diaz doesn't do the offensive game plan, so I haven't seen how Lashlee responds to a loss yet. Next week is more important than the Clemson game. Most of us expected Miami to lose to Clemson even if we played well, so one way or another we'd have an L right now. If you boil it down, Canes fans are mad that Miami didn't get its moral victory. Oh well.

OP, I agree completely, well said. I am not sure how this was a shock to anyone that was honest about were we are going in. Clemson picked up 3rd downs like they were playing against a pee wee team. We seriously couldn't stop anything, and couldn't start anything. If this was last years team, we wouldn't win another game. I think we rebound this year. That's the one measurable improvement.

It will take time to build this program back up, but the coaching has to be better. It's embarrassing coming off a bye week and after the hot start to the season to put that abomination out there against the best team we've faced so far. It's one thing to lose but it's another to be totally outclassed. We have the talent to at least keep the game close.

To beat an elite team like Clemson takes a near perfect game. Too many mental errors cost us dearly and way too many penalties. First drive of the game Roche makes what looks like a momentum stealing int, only to have lined up offsides. Not saying things would have turned out any different but it would have been interesting to see what the offense would have done had that counted.

Advertisement
Back