Fireside Flicker with Your Beloved Legend

I don't know if you have to terrify your players to be a great leader, but whatever he's doing isn't working. We went into the Clemson game looking scared to death and unprepared, and they only had a 20% crowd. It seems like Manny talks tough to the media, but the players don't get that vibe from him because they were submissive last night.
I don't think we were submissive last night - we were just completely outmatched.

For all the grief Baker gets, Lashlee was the one who failed last night. When Clemson manned up on his WRs (and completely took them out of the game) and dominated the line of scrimmage he literally had no answer.

Heads didn't go down, despite the score. The real test is next week against Pitt. If the team sleep walks into that game feeling sorry for themselves a) we'll lose and b) we'll know Diaz isn't the guy.

Advertisement
It will take time to build this program back up, but the coaching has to be better. It's embarrassing coming off a bye week and after the hot start to the season to put that abomination out there against the best team we've faced so far. It's one thing to lose but it's another to be totally outclassed. We have the talent to at least keep the game close.

To beat an elite team like Clemson takes a near perfect game. Too many mental errors cost us dearly and way too many penalties. First drive of the game Roche makes what looks like a momentum stealing int, only to have lined up offsides. Not saying things would have turned out any different but it would have been interesting to see what the offense would have done had that counted.

right now, Manny is the anti-Andy Reid...

The defense started the game nearly identically as the ACCCG that they embarrassed us in.

this defense has been the same thing for six years now. Against lesser squads it’s a bully. But we’ll coached, experienced, and talent filled offenses have worked us and will continue to do so as long as this flawed system is still used here.
Exactly what I have been saying since dIAZ was hired.....saw it at UT. This is what I am scared Lashlee might be. We will find out about the OC as the season goes on.

If the team sleep walks into that game feeling sorry for themselves a) we'll lose and b) we'll know Diaz isn't the guy.

You nailed it. I think there is a good chance that King comes back next year, but we probably lose to Bama in the 1st game of the season. So do we say, "well, guess this season's done" after one game? If the team has leadership and resiliency, it can still run the table after the loss and play a Clemson team without TL and Etienne. A one loss ACC champion still makes it to the playoffs, that is almost guaranteed. This year we still have a chance to win out and play Clemson again, but it all starts with a big win next week.

OP, I agree completely, well said. I am not sure how this was a shock to anyone that was honest about were we are going in. Clemson picked up 3rd downs like they were playing against a pee wee team. We seriously couldn't stop anything, and couldn't start anything. If this was last years team, we wouldn't win another game. I think we rebound this year. That's the one measurable improvement.
The shock was not that we lost. It was how thoroughly unprepared we were.

Advertisement
I hear a lot of people say the blueprint to beat us is to jam our receivers and leave 8 in the box to stop the run. What you guys fail to realize is that not every team has 5 star players in their secondary and along the Dline like Clemson does. I think we respond big against Pitt and blow them out. I think Clemson was just too good for us but nobody else on our schedule has anything close to them I terms of coaching and players.

to me, the rest of the season( lets call it AC- 'After Clemson') is where will see the effectiveness of Manny's leadership and the character of this program. If they flounder and falter (like they did in 17 and 13 after big game losses), then nothing has changed and it's time for Blake James to at least start compiling a list of names to replace him.( and yeah, James being in charge of this does not make me feel good)

Now, if they can actually rebound and win every game they should be reasonably expected to, OK, we got hope. To me, this season is about putting out a productive and entertaining product that will be enticing to recruits that can be a part of this rebuild .

It all starts with Pitt.

We win out, it's time to get *** raped again by Clemson.

I like AC (After Clemson) but I like ACC better. After Clemson Catastrophe.

The offense has looked fun besides this game. Hopefully we'll continue that trend as the season goes on.

I wish other teams wouldn't use this as a blueprint for beating us, but of course they will. It kind of reminds me of how Louisville years ago showed the world how to shred our defense. Clemson just killed it on both sides of the field and you don't even need Sunshine to do what they did offensively. The short passing game anyone can do.

Agreed there is nothing to be proud of, but there are two ways to look at it.

1. It is an indictment of the staff's ability to prepare the team
2. It was an aberration

Last year Miami lost to several G5 teams and couldn't win a road game. So far this year we've won the games we were supposed to. Diaz doesn't do the offensive game plan, so I haven't seen how Lashlee responds to a loss yet. Next week is more important than the Clemson game. Most of us expected Miami to lose to Clemson even if we played well, so one way or another we'd have an L right now. If you boil it down, Canes fans are mad that Miami didn't get its moral victory. Oh well.
I love you, dude, but that was no aberration. That was a 60 minute *** stomping. They worked us completely. We had about the same amount of penalty yards and offensive yards, and we just resorted to give up ball on offense because Lashlee had nothing.

We win out, it's time to get *** raped again by Clemson.

I like AC (After Clemson) but I like ACC better. After Clemson Catastrophe.

The offense has looked fun besides this game. Hopefully we'll continue that trend as the season goes on.

I wish other teams wouldn't use this as a blueprint for beating us, but of course they will. It kind of reminds me of how Louisville years ago showed the world how to shred our defense. Clemson just killed it on both sides of the field and you don't even need Sunshine to do what they did offensively. The short passing game anyone can do.
Ha ha, ACC it is!! Thats good!!

Here's my view, if you want to think micro and macros, win out, play every game like a one game season that you have to win(purely for recruiting and perception, and hey, winning is important), but also, at this stage at WR and LB, get the younger guys in there -- you know which ones we want in there -- if not starting, get them into the rotation more. Because Ray Charles can see which positions need to be upgraded.

I dont blame anyone for being skeptical at this point.

Advertisement
Also, Lashlee didn't outsmart himself on the TE's. Clemson knew they were the key to our passing game. They literally had a safety and linebacker on them at all times. I'm sure they said find their TE, if he's on your side of the field, OLB and same side safety, cover it. Roman in his video talked about it as well. Their safeties paid absolutely no mind to our wide receivers, knowing they weren't a threat.

Also, Lashlee didn't outsmart himself on the TE's. Clemson knew they were the key to our passing game. They literally had a safety and linebacker on them at all times. I'm sure they said find their TE, if he's on your side of the field, OLB and same side safety, cover it. Roman in his video talked about it as well. Their safeties paid absolutely no mind to our wide receivers, knowing they weren't a threat.
So they had 4 guys covering 2 TEs, and Lashlee still couldn't do anything? I think you're overestimating how many guys they dedicated to our TEs. Either that, or they were playing with 13 guys on D because you don't take away 2 excellent TEs and still clog up the run in its entirety like they did. There's always an answer on O if a DC dedicates too much man power to stop one element.

Advertisement
It looks like everyone's got a segment now, so this beatdown has probably been hot-taked to death already. So I'll be brief.

This was eerily similar wasn't it? We've seen this buildup and letdown so many times they should put the Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown image on the side of the helmet instead of the U. They toyed with us, and we were NEVER a threat. I don't understand how teams like UNC and Pitt and Syracuse can do things, but we couldn't even breathe in that game.

Quick takes:
Bubba Bolden is about the only guy who would start on Clemson's team. We were so clearly overmatched it was obvious from about 5 snaps in. 5 snaps in I'm thinking "Just don't give up and get humiliated and lose by 60." I knew they were better than us before the game and didn't expect to win, but I did expect us to not be the little kid getting straight armed to the forehead while he wails away at his dad's kneecaps and doesn't come within 5 feet of hitting him.

Venables bent Lashlee over, ballgagged him, and gimped him. If we were ever going to take a run at Clemson's D with our O this was going to be the year with them breaking in all those new players. Not even close. They suffocated us like a giant boa constrictor squeezing the life out of a weasel. They were where we were supposed to be before we got there. It's like they knew our plays better than we did.

When we hired Lashlee, the one game that scared me was how FAU so thoroughly *** raped him in the bowl game. This game reminded me of that but 20 times worse. He had no answers for anything and seemed intent on forcing a running game that never stood a chance all game until he just started chucking it deep and hoping for PI calls.

Lashlee's still a big upgrade over what we had, but what we saw yesterday was atrocious. He was outclassed. UVA looked better against them than we did. I'd expect UNC to move it on them too and not look like Pee Wee rejects like we did.

Our WRs looked like punks out there too. Feeble. King threw some balls that they could have battled for, and they would just fall down instead and cry for a flag. They don't adjust to the ball in the air and have no dog in them whatsoever. I'd empty the bench immediately and see if any of the backups have any guts. I'd start with Keyshawn Smith because no one's come close to covering him this year. He's always five yards behind everyone he plays.

Where was the TE throw game? That's an advantage we should have had but never really attempted to exploit other than 2 or 3 throws. Lashlee outsmarted himself on that one.

Our OL is better, but they got their pussies stomped out. Clemson did them like we did FSU the week prior.

Defensively, we battled, and, like I said, I love Bubba B. But our LBs are sooooooo fcking slow and useless. And you can't beat or even compete with a team like that when you're giving up 3rd and 8+ over and over and over. Unlike the O, the D at least battled and had a pulse. Lawrence is a generational player, and he's going to make plays. I said going it that this was either going to be a shootout or a blowout because we weren't going to stop Lawrence. Well, we saw what happened.

We'll see what happens with Manny. I actually like the guy. Seems like a hard worker and he really cares, but he just might not have that ability to push the right buttons. THat's an art form, and most don't have it. That's why it's so hard to find a great HC. We'll see if it's what we all suspect it is coming up the next several weeks. If we get in another series of dog fights with the teams coming up, then it's just same old Miami. This can either be a blip in a season of progress, or it can be same old Miami.
Right on the mark per usual. To me this was a game that I didn't expect to win and to be honest I would have been surprised if it had been close. Clemson outclasses us in almost every phase and that shouldn't come as a huge shock to anyone yet apparently it has. We're talking about a squad with like you said, a generational player at QB in Lawerence, and the clear advantage of years and years of top recruiting classes plus a coaching staff head and shoulders above ours.

To me this season was about winning the games we are supposed to win and getting better as the season progresses. That can clearly still be achieved. We are a much better squad than we were last year and we will continue to improve. The best thing for this team and program right now is to move on. Just move on from this and continue Chase the goal of playing in the ACCCG. Yes we got our asses kicked by a better team and there are many problems that were exposed Sat night.

That brings us to the next obvious challenge. Will our staff and our team let this loss demoralize them and let it destroy them or...... Will we show that this year is different in that we are mentally stronger than years past, learn from this, keep grinding and beat the teams that we should beat? Or will we turn into a bunch of sniveling little worms and go sulk in a corner somewhere? The answers to those questions will ultimately tell us what we need to know about the man in charge. Can Diaz look in the mirror, see his own flaws and address them? He has shown the ability to see what the issues are and make tangible moves to remedy them. Will he be able to make the tough but necessary decisions to fire his defensive entourage after the season? Well see.

Put this behind us and finish strong while locking in what could be a banner recruiting class then turn your attention toward doing whatever it takes to improve this coaching staff.

It looks like everyone's got a segment now, so this beatdown has probably been hot-taked to death already. So I'll be brief.

This was eerily similar wasn't it? We've seen this buildup and letdown so many times they should put the Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown image on the side of the helmet instead of the U. They toyed with us, and we were NEVER a threat. I don't understand how teams like UNC and Pitt and Syracuse can do things, but we couldn't even breathe in that game.

Quick takes:
Bubba Bolden is about the only guy who would start on Clemson's team. We were so clearly overmatched it was obvious from about 5 snaps in. 5 snaps in I'm thinking "Just don't give up and get humiliated and lose by 60." I knew they were better than us before the game and didn't expect to win, but I did expect us to not be the little kid getting straight armed to the forehead while he wails away at his dad's kneecaps and doesn't come within 5 feet of hitting him.

Venables bent Lashlee over, ballgagged him, and gimped him. If we were ever going to take a run at Clemson's D with our O this was going to be the year with them breaking in all those new players. Not even close. They suffocated us like a giant boa constrictor squeezing the life out of a weasel. They were where we were supposed to be before we got there. It's like they knew our plays better than we did.

When we hired Lashlee, the one game that scared me was how FAU so thoroughly *** raped him in the bowl game. This game reminded me of that but 20 times worse. He had no answers for anything and seemed intent on forcing a running game that never stood a chance all game until he just started chucking it deep and hoping for PI calls.

Lashlee's still a big upgrade over what we had, but what we saw yesterday was atrocious. He was outclassed. UVA looked better against them than we did. I'd expect UNC to move it on them too and not look like Pee Wee rejects like we did.

Our WRs looked like punks out there too. Feeble. King threw some balls that they could have battled for, and they would just fall down instead and cry for a flag. They don't adjust to the ball in the air and have no dog in them whatsoever. I'd empty the bench immediately and see if any of the backups have any guts. I'd start with Keyshawn Smith because no one's come close to covering him this year. He's always five yards behind everyone he plays.

Where was the TE throw game? That's an advantage we should have had but never really attempted to exploit other than 2 or 3 throws. Lashlee outsmarted himself on that one.

Our OL is better, but they got their pussies stomped out. Clemson did them like we did FSU the week prior.

Defensively, we battled, and, like I said, I love Bubba B. But our LBs are sooooooo fcking slow and useless. And you can't beat or even compete with a team like that when you're giving up 3rd and 8+ over and over and over. Unlike the O, the D at least battled and had a pulse. Lawrence is a generational player, and he's going to make plays. I said going it that this was either going to be a shootout or a blowout because we weren't going to stop Lawrence. Well, we saw what happened.

We'll see what happens with Manny. I actually like the guy. Seems like a hard worker and he really cares, but he just might not have that ability to push the right buttons. THat's an art form, and most don't have it. That's why it's so hard to find a great HC. We'll see if it's what we all suspect it is coming up the next several weeks. If we get in another series of dog fights with the teams coming up, then it's just same old Miami. This can either be a blip in a season of progress, or it can be same old Miami.

So.

We're NOT back?

So they had 4 guys covering 2 TEs, and Lashlee still couldn't do anything? I think you're overestimating how many guys they dedicated to our TEs. Either that, or they were playing with 13 guys on D because you don't take away 2 excellent TEs and still clog up the run in its entirety like they did. There's always an answer on O if a DC dedicates too much man power to stop one element.

Not when they left the DB's on an island.

We didn't run too many two tight end sets. They would shift their DL to the side our running back was on when we were in an RPO formation. They then would overload that side, shooting the gap with the DE running to King while the backer coming right behind him would take the back. TE was almost always lined up opposite side of the field.

Watch what they did again. They knew every one of our tendencies and played them like they were in the huddle with us. That's why we started chucking it up for grabs down the field. It was the highest percentage play, couldn't block, TE's bracketed, and single coverage on 3, 6, or 8.

Gameplan was a masterpiece. Combine that with superior talent, you get the bloodbath we had.

Advertisement
I don't remember going two TEs often. After Brevin went out, it was as if Mallory wasn't even in the game. I think we only targeted him once. There was no attempt to get the RBs into the passing game to force their LBs to go horizontal. They were going downhill all game.

Last edited:
Right on the mark per usual. To me this was a game that I didn't expect to win and to be honest I would have been surprised if it had been close. Clemson outclasses us in almost every phase and that shouldn't come as a huge shock to anyone yet apparently it has. We're talking about a squad with like you said, a generational player at QB in Lawerence, and the clear advantage of years and years of top recruiting classes plus a coaching staff head and shoulders above ours.

To me this season was about winning the games we are supposed to win and getting better as the season progresses. That can clearly still be achieved. We are a much better squad than we were last year and we will continue to improve. The best thing for this team and program right now is to move on. Just move on from this and continue Chase the goal of playing in the ACCCG. Yes we got our asses kicked by a better team and there are many problems that were exposed Sat night.

That brings us to the next obvious challenge. Will our staff and our team let this loss demoralize them and let it destroy them or...... Will we show that this year is different in that we are mentally stronger than years past, learn from this, keep grinding and beat the teams that we should beat? Or will we turn into a bunch of sniveling little worms and go sulk in a corner somewhere? The answers to those questions will ultimately tell us what we need to know about the man in charge. Can Diaz look in the mirror, see his own flaws and address them? He has shown the ability to see what the issues are and make tangible moves to remedy them. Will he be able to make the tough but necessary decisions to fire his defensive entourage after the season? Well see.

Put this behind us and finish strong while locking in what could be a banner recruiting class then turn your attention toward doing whatever it takes to improve this coaching staff.
I didn't expect to win either. But if you watched Old Urine shoot it out with Alabaga last night, that's what I expected us to do. Old Urine came out running and gunning playing with swag and didn't look petrified. They were just as outclassed as we were, but they still went hard and looked competent on O.

Not when they left the DB's on an island.

We didn't run too many two tight end sets. They would shift their DL to the side our running back was on when we were in an RPO formation. They then would overload that side, shooting the gap with the DE running to King while the backer coming right behind him would take the back. TE was almost always lined up opposite side of the field.

Watch what they did again. They knew every one of our tendencies and played them like they were in the huddle with us. That's why we started chucking it up for grabs down the field. It was the highest percentage play, couldn't block, TE's bracketed, and single coverage on 3, 6, or 8.

Gameplan was a masterpiece. Combine that with superior talent, you get the bloodbath we had.
Venables kicked Lashlee's ***. I don't know if you had all 22 film, but I doubt they had the TEs bracketed on every play and had single coverage on every WRs and still had enough bodies to destroy every aspect of our run game.

They had better players than us, but Alabaga had better players than Old Urine last night and had beaten them something 180-40 combined the last 3 years. *****in and Lebby managed to give them all they could handle though. They went toe to toe and made a ton of plays because *****in and Lebby had a plan unlike the previous 3 years when Baga completely destroyed them.

I don't remember going two TEs often. After Brevin went out, it was as if Mallory wasn't even in the game. I think we only targeted him once. There was no attempt to get the RBs into the passing RB screens to force their LBs to go horizontal. They were going downhill all game.
They teed off on us all night. We ran simple run plays right into the teeth of them crashing downhill on us, never threw to the RBs, never threw to the TEs. Venables fcked Lashlee raw with no grease.

Advertisement
Back