Figs and Blue get off

These two admitted to quite a few crimes. We were right to kick them out of school. We showed we care about all of our students not just the football players. See jarapist.
Unless you have evidence that they admitted to rape, I think you should rethink your statement. Also if they admitted to rape they would have been charged. How do you admit to a crime and get off? Obviously the rumors were false that they confessed

actually if they are first time offenders, they could get off with a plea deal including probation and a jail diversion program. I've personally worked with clients in programs like these and i don;t know what people are talking about. doesn't always mean the case was weak. sometimes it means that the defendant's don't have a criminal history. would also say that athletes get breaks like these while your common man does not.
Yeah, that usually is how it works for minor crimes, like possession. Not rape. If the State had evidence to where they thought they could convict BARD, they would have brought the charges.

I'm actually lol'ing right now picturing an ASA negotiating this with the defense attorney: "Yeah, this girl was gang-raped and we have a strong case proving so, but we are just gonna let your client take PTI." I'll just assume you don't practice in Miami-Dade.

Advertisement
Going from a rape charge to a PTD program is a precipitous drop. Either there was zero evidence or the girl completely backtracked. Even if it was the latter, I have to imagine the cops performed some prelim rape test kit on her.

Anyhow, they got a second chance.
And bingo was his name-o

Something never seemed right about this story from the get go. From all accounts, Figs was a good kid from a good family. Hate to see people's names get tarnished over nothing.

Just like the people getting after others for condemning the players too quickly, you have no idea if it was "nothing". For all we know those two are luckiest supposed rapists on earth.

Well the article I just read said the "victim" told the SA she did not want to take this to trial. So if the "victim" doesn't have any problems with what went on that night, I don't see why anyone else should.

These two admitted to quite a few crimes. We were right to kick them out of school. We showed we care about all of our students not just the football players. See jarapist.
Unless you have evidence that they admitted to rape, I think you should rethink your statement. Also if they admitted to rape they would have been charged. How do you admit to a crime and get off? Obviously the rumors were false that they confessed

actually if they are first time offenders, they could get off with a plea deal including probation and a jail diversion program. I've personally worked with clients in programs like these and i don;t know what people are talking about. doesn't always mean the case was weak. sometimes it means that the defendant's don't have a criminal history. would also say that athletes get breaks like these while your common man does not.
Yeah, that usually is how it works for minor crimes, like possession. Not rape. If the State had evidence to where they thought they could convict BARD, they would have brought the charges.

I'm actually lol'ing right now picturing an ASA negotiating this with the defense attorney: "Yeah, this girl was gang-raped and we have a strong case proving so, but we are just gonna let your client take PTI." I'll just assume you don't practice in Miami-Dade.

very true. i feel like most cases where the victim was drunk or drugged are tricky. it usually comes down to he said, she said unless there's overwhelming evidence such as DNA, bodily trauma, and toxicology reports

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -
Two former University of Miami football players will have sexual battery charges against them dropped if they complete a nine-month program.

Alex Figueroa, 20, and JaWand Blue, 20, were accused of drugging and performing *** acts on a 17-year-old girl in a dorm room on campus July 5.

At a hearing Wednesday, the state said the victim does not want a trial.

According to the arrest report, the alleged assault took place at Pearson Hall.

The report states that both players administered a narcotic, anesthetic or other intoxicating substance that mentally or physically incapacitated the victim. It was then, the report says, that Figueroa and Blue each sexually assaulted the woman.

During a police interview, Figueroa and Blue admitted to buying the alcoholic beverages and giving them to the victim and then bringing her back to Blue's room and performing sexual acts on her without consent, according to the charges.

Figueroa and Blue were each charged with sexual battery on a physically helpless victim. Figueroa was additionally charged with possession of a stolen/fictitious driver's license.

Both men must undergo counseling and give DNA samples, among other things. If they complete the program, the state will drop all charges.

Figueroa and Blue were expelled from UM and are not allowed to reapply or go back to the private university.

http://m.local10.com/sports/sexual-...d-against-former-um-football-players/29559092

Advertisement
No thanks.
So you find people that root for losses offensive, yet when 2 people are not charged for a crime you still label them a criminal?

Good to know.

Uhhh, you mean pleaded down from sexual assault...right? If they weren't charged with a crime, and didn't admit to something illegal, why would they need to be in a diversion program for first offenders?

And I never said I find people rooting for losses offensive. I said that I find it odd that none of those who posted here that they were rooting against Miami until AG is fired now won't own up to it with F$U up next. Not a single person has said "I'm rooting for F$U", even though they must know that beating F$U kills any hope of AG getting fired. You don't find that odd?
I didn't know that PTI/PTD was considered a plea, except in Broward. Nor did I know that taking PTI/PTD was an admission of guilt in Miami-Dade County. Learn something new every day.

Lol.

I definitely trust sebastian91 and fincane over you, man.

Advertisement
Sorry, don't want those pieces of **** near our program.

They should be in jail.

Some of you are just ridiculous to want these 2 back, how could you cheer for kids like that?

Sorry, don't want those pieces of **** near our program.

They should be in jail.

Some of you are just ridiculous to want these 2 back, how could you cheer for kids like that?

Why should they be in jail? Do you know something that the State doesn't? I don't get it.

I think that people are misinterpreting why Figs and Blue entered into the pre-trial diversion program. It looks like the victim still insists that the assault happened, but she didn't want to have to testify. Now, there is certainly room for debate about if she should be able to make accusations of this serious nature and not testify to them, but this doesn't sound like a situation where the victim is recanting her accusations. Also, as a result of those guys entering the pre-trial diversion program, they've agreed to not re-enroll or return to campus, so any thoughts of them returning aren't going to work out.

Here's the Herald story:

Two former University of Miami football players won’t do jail time after accusations they raped an intoxicated female student inside a campus dorm room.

Instead, ex-linebackers JaWand Blue and Alexander Figueroa — who were immediately kicked off the team and expelled from the school — on Wednesday agreed to undergo ***-offender treatment classes and complete 100 hours of community service.

If they complete the “pre-trial diversion” program for first-time offenders and stay trouble free for nine months, prosecutors will drop the sexual battery charges against them.

The reason for the deal: the victim, also a campus athlete, did not want to undergo the “devastating” experience of testifying, prosecutor Laura Adams told a judge Wednesday.

“The victim in this case, although never wavering from her insistence that the defendants sexually assaulted her against her will, did not believe it would be in her best interest to have to undergo the type of questioning [and] cross-examination that would essentially amount to an attack on her character should the case go to trial,” Adams wrote in a final memo on the case.

“She very much wanted to put this matter behind her, and focus on her life as a college student-athlete.”

The case’s resolution comes amid renewed national scrutiny on campus rapes nationwide, and the difficulty in prosecuting such cases.

In the most notorious cases involving an athlete, Tallahassee prosecutors last year chose not to charge Florida State star quarterback Jameis Winston, saying they could not sufficiently prove allegations he raped a female student during an on-campus encounter.

The facts in the University of Miami case were similar, but resulted in arrests.

Coral Gables police in July arrested Blue and Figueroa after the girl told detectives that the linebackers assaulted her in a dorm room after a night of drinking.

According to the newly released state attorney’s memo, the girl attended a gathering with various school athletes, including Blue and Figueroa, at the school’s University Village. “Alcohol was served at this gathering, despite the fact that most of the students there were underage,” the memo said.

Later that night, they wound up at Mr. Moe’s, a Coconut Grove bar popular with students that still served them alcohol despite their age. She had drank so heavily “that she became physically ill.”

The three were later dropped off at their campus dorm, where she passed out in Figueroa’s room. She recalled waking up to the men assaulting her despite her requests to stop, Adams wrote.

The former football players later insisted the encounter was consensual. Young women in these cases are “truly put in a Catch-22 scenario,” Adams wrote.

“On the one hand, she was too drunk to give knowing, voluntary and intelligent consent to have *** with the offenders – but because of her intoxicated state, she is unable to remember the exact details of what occurred or to clearly articulate why [or} how she did not give consent,” Adams wrote.

Hoping to avoid defense attacks on her character at a trial, the young woman agreed to the pre-trial intervention program.

Figueroa and Blue must agree not to try and re-enroll in the university and cannot ever return to campus.

“In so doing, she hoped that she would never have to encounter them again while she attended college, and hoped that by forcing them into a *** offender program, they would better understand the boundaries of appropriate sexual behavior and never do this to another young woman,” Adams wrote.

Blue, a former three-star recruit from West Boca Raton High, played in two games last season and registered one tackle. He finished the spring as the backup middle linebacker behind Denzel Perryman.

Figueroa, the son of military parents from Virginia, played in nine games last season and made two starts, registering 17 tackles. He ended the spring listed as a co-starter at outside linebacker along with Thurston Armbrister.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article3583495.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Thanks for posting the story. That makes sense, as, to my understanding, they don't usually offer this option without the blessing of the victim in the crime. Both are young men without a history of previous problems too. And it was probably much more along the lines of two kids trying to get the girl drunk in order to get some. While still very illegal and not to be condoned, I think most would agree this falls short of a violent capture and rape. Both kids have to complete the nine month program before they charges go away, so they would probably come available to a team in early August of 2015, depending upon when they begin the program. Honestly, not sure how I feel about bringing them back. I'd prefer to just continue to build depth at the linebacker position with new recruits with talent and character.

No they ******* didn´t. They admitted to having *** with the girl. The ******* University of Florida Miami Herald took that and reported that they had admitted to crimes.

Advertisement
Well that Herald story says they cannot attempt to re-enter the U. So that is that. They can't even ever come on campus.

They can never try to re-apply or enter campus again. It's part of the deal. The girl didn't want to testify, So they settled; Plain and Simple.

You guys say we didn't have their back, which makes ZERO sense. They raped another student athlete. Are you saying that because they are football players, they deserve to be protected from felonies? That is just ridiculous, especially because they said they did it. Just because they settled, doesn't mean they didn't have a case. Sometimes it is exactly what it is, the girl doesn't want to testify. Not many would in her situation.
The school did what they should have. I'm happy we are strict on sexual assault. I don't want to be like FSU. Also, the school isn't throwing the players under the bus. This is the players fault. Some of you need to get your priorities straight. And don't give me that bull, all girls cry wolf, because Not to many students are going out getting expelled for rape here.

They can never try to re-apply or enter campus again. It's part of the deal. The girl didn't want to testify, So they settled; Plain and Simple.

You guys say we didn't have their back, which makes ZERO sense. They raped another student athlete. Are you saying that because they are football players, they deserve to be protected from felonies? That is just ridiculous, especially because they said they did it. Just because they settled, doesn't mean they didn't have a case. Sometimes it is exactly what it is, the girl doesn't want to testify. Not many would in her situation.
The school did what they should have. I'm happy we are strict on sexual assault. I don't want to be like FSU. Also, the school isn't throwing the players under the bus. This is the players fault. Some of you need to get your priorities straight. And don't give me that bull, all girls cry wolf, because Not to many students are going out getting expelled for rape here.
The State of Florida said they didn't rape another student athlete.

Looks like we have another omniscient CIS porster.

This has nothing to do with "priorities" or whatever else you want to say. It has everything to do with following the law and the United States Constitution, however. I'm glad you seem to hate both.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back