Official Fall PractiSe #14: Scrimmage 2

What’s it like to be such a miserable **** every day
For giving an honest opinion? If you only listened to all the sunshine pumping that goes on in this group we would have about 7 straight 11+ win seasons and Mark Richt/Manny Diaz would have a statue by now. I expect it though, people who see flaws in the roster before the season and bring it up get nothing but hate until these flaws come to fruition and then those same fans who placed unrealistic expectations to begin with get their pitchforks and twitter fingers ready.

Advertisement
When practices are soft you get surprised every week and make the opposition look better than they are; every QB and RB we faced looked all-world. Our players weren't coached well, and our current staff either coached with Saban (including OC & DC) or beat Alabama recently. Mario's Ducks played physical and they beat OSU on the road with an inferior staff compared to what we have now.

So I expect a higher and more consistent level of play this season, where we handle teams we're supposed to beat and compete with the ones we're not. Add TVD with a deep DL and my expectations for this season are very high.

People still don't understand how much poor preparation can make a team look less talented than they are.

People are going to be SHOCKED how much better we look top to bottom. How many more wins that nets remains to be seen. Regardless, our performance will be vastly superior to what we have seen previously, win or lose.

Advertisement
Do you realize that our QB will be even better than last year, more mature, more polished and has more chemistry with the players from last year?

Do you realize that those same OL players from last year will be much better under a HC who takes pride in OL performance? Better OL performance better overall offense. It even makes the WR's better players.

Do you realize that our TE's will be healthy and much improved with the return of very talented player who is healthy this time and with addition of Skinner?

I expect the offense to be way better than last year despite having "new system".
This is a prediction fam.

From a poster on Canesport who was at the scrimmage:

"The first scrimmage was rough. What I saw today was better. Also our D is going to be sick. Ladsen dropped a ball that I thought Mario was going to have a stroke."

Restrepo made some nice catches & Jacolby I thought played well. Also the Oline did well.
Our defense doesn’t have to be sick, but if it’s a top 45-50 unit…9-3 is very much realistic, with an outside shot at 10-2.

Advertisement
IDK if anyone else listened but there was a Twitter Space after the scrimmage. The guy who was running it was at the scrimmage. He talked about Flagg and how smart he is and how he is clearly the leader on defense. He can be heard on the sidelines yelling at guys making sure everyone is lined up , etc. Today he had to direct Agude to be in the right spots. He may not be the most athletic but what he is good at is just as important in other ways...

I hear you, and that's valuable.
But it would be nice if Agude knew where to line up and we could just have the most athletic MLB starting without worrying about whether that person can babysit the front 7.

This is a prediction fam.
Sure it is.
I'm countering his prediction with one of mine.
But I'm providing a reasoning. And it is as simple as the difference between Manny Diaz and Mario Cristobal which he completely ignored in his prediction of offense deterioration.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Zach Thomas wasn’t the most athletically gifted person on the field but he made plays bc he knew where to be so hope the same is true for Flagg.
We will see. The coaching he is getting is infinitely better as is the scheme. He will be much more protected in Steele's system but his lack of speed and range will always be a limiting factor. That being said I'm not very concerned because I expect him to have his best season and also fully expect Caleb Johnson to get more and more PT at Mike as the season progresses.

Soooooo

We know Flagg is not the fastest most athletic guy

Is it crazy to think he can contribute with better coaching and a better feel for a system?

One thing that certainly doesn’t help a limited speed LB is not being entirely sure where he’s supposed to be going
Honestly having a smart mike is important it starts with how you're lined up. If you're lined up wrong from the rip you'll lose the leverage game. If he's actually making good corrections then it helps the whole D

Advertisement
Sure it is.
I'm countering his prediction with one of mine.
But I'm providing a reasoning. And it is as simple as the difference between Manny Diaz and Mario Cristobal which he completely ignored in his prediction of offense deterioration.
I mean maybe but you stated a prediction as a matter of fact. We are hopeful all those things are true but I wouldn't pretend like we know any of that.

Advertisement
Back