Fall practice #4

Advertisement
Of course because saying "my bad" is not an option for you.

By definition if I have a run called with the "option" to hot a throw....

Good talk. 😎

Nah, he's actually correct. No team calls that concept an RPO. Seriously, if you know anyone in the NFL ask them. They'll let you know.

Clearly you haven’t been out there. Does it make you feel better if we had a better o line Jarren would probably start? Smdh
Dude if jarren is the best option he will start no matter how bad the o-line is. Diaz and enos aren't going to say jarren you were the best option but you ain't gone play because the o-line aint good enough.

Advertisement
Good lord, if you're gonna talk RPO's then know your stuff.

1) RPO's can be run from under center. The Packers were running basic RPO's in the 90's with Brett Favre under center. The backside WR would run a slant on certain run plays. If Favre saw the alignment he wanted then he had the ability to hit the quick slant on the backside. If the alignment wasn';t there then he'd give it to the back.

2) RPO's can have pre or post-snap reads. A pre-snap RPO looks at the number of hats in the box and the leverage the defense has. The QB makes the decision to give the ball or keep it and hit a quick pass based on the alignment here. This is what Favre and the Packers were doing in the 90's.

There are two other variants of RPO's that have post-snap reads. One version has the QB reading a backside backer or safety generally. He reads their movements and if they break on the give motion then he pulls the ball and hits the pass. If the key stays home then the QB gives the ball to the back. The other variant is basically what Auburn and Oregon were doing. It's more or less the triple option, but the pitch is replaced with a short pass, generally a screen or quick hitch. The backside DE is untouched. If he goes with the back then the QB keeps it and makes the decision based off of the defense to keep running it or to hit the quick hitter. If the DE does not bite on the back then generally the QB will give it, but if he does see they have leverage on the screen pass he can hit that, but the vast majority of the time it will be a give if the DE is staying home.

That's not an RPO (your first example). If you want to say it's an RPO because it makes you feel better fine. No team uses the term "RPO" in that scenario.

Last edited:
You realize that pre-snap read you are talking about is literally a variant of the RPO. It's exactly what I was explaining Favre and the Packers were doing back in the day.
It's not what people have come to define or know as the "RPO" though is it? Counting the box, throwing uncovered, checking to a pass or a run based on numbers or leverage isn't the RPO. The RPO is a concept meant to put a specific defender in a bad position no matter what they do.
Thanks. I never heard sight adjustments on a run play between the QB and WR pre-snap referred to as hot.
HAHA You're right. Normally a hot route, as we all know it, is a blitz adjustment for sure.

Advertisement
Again, as far as strength he’s not there yet but he’s probably our best pass blocking T due to his feet.
Did that help. Didn’t know I had to explain this.
You haven’t seen him live have you?
You said “Zion is not physically ready yet.” Those are your exact words. I ain’t your boyfriend looking to read subtle cues from you, young lady. You spoke plain English, and I responded to your exact words.

If he wasn’t physically ready they wouldn’t be putting their jobs and the health of his teammates on the line by having him running first team at LT Have you lifted with him? He was lifter if the week regularly.

Because two of the best DEs in college football beat him occasionally you’ve declared him not physically ready. I’ll see what the coaches decide.

You said “Zion is not physically ready yet.” Those are your exact words. I ain’t your boyfriend looking to read subtle cues from you, young lady. You spoke plain English, and I responded to your exact words.

If he wasn’t physically ready they wouldn’t be putting their jobs and the health of his teammates on the line by having him running first team at LT Have you lifted with him? He was lifter if the week regularly.

Because two of the best DEs in college football beat him occasionally you’ve declared him not physically ready. I’ll see what the coaches decide.

I will dumb it down. No reason to insult. Calm down

Advertisement

For real, Chise.

You could fill a 747 with offensive tackles that ain’t “physically ready” to deal with Garvin and Hill play in, play out.

Of course because saying "my bad" is not an option for you.

By definition if I have a run called with the "option" to hot a throw....

Good talk. 😎

Roman:

In the words of Oscar Wilde: "Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference."

And yes, as you correctly noted, an RPO can be run in ANY formation, and in fact …. contrary to what that knucklehead was spewing, …. having the option read pre-snap doesn't negate it from being an RPO.

It's not typical to do so pre-snap, because as you well know, most RPO's are a read off of the action of the DE or someone in a similar alignment/technique. But as an example, we had a handful of "RPO's" where I'd be reading the safety in the box on certain strong side sprint action (90 series, … seven step to the tackle box) passing plays, and the option was called based on formation and coverage that I was seeing due to that safety's pre-snap alignment/action.

I mean, it was in the playbook, but if this guy says I'm wrong, then he can certainly visit Carm Cozza's grave, and tell coach he didn't know what he was doing. I'm sure coach would be happy to talk x's and o's with the guy, and even in his present state, I'm willing to bet Coach Cozza knows more than he does.

Advertisement
For real, Chise.

You could fill a 747 with offensive tackles that ain’t “physically ready” to deal with Garvin and Hill play in, play out.
Some of these geniuses don’t get the concept that on every play one guy wins and the other guy loses. You can be strong as I am and still lose some reps to Garvin and Hill.

These guys think every player must win every rep, but that’s impossible. Not only that, it’s practice against your own team, so you would hope that your best defensive players win some reps against a true freshman.

Advertisement
Back