Fall practice #4

Enos put up those numbers with lesser talented teams in a defensive minded conference.

I think he will be great for us.

My only concern is that he doesn’t pass to much and not run too many slow developing run plays.

We should get our backs running downhill in a hurry and not force an inconsistent oline to have to hold blocks too long. We got backs that can explode through the hole. Give em a quick crease and let them run.
I would put zero stock into the old stats like total offense or total defense. Advanced analytics are not perfect, but they definitely paint a better picture than the old school basic stats.

Enos' offense S&P+ rankings at Arkansas were
2015 - #2 in the nation
2016 - #29
2017 - #35

He had a big mauling offensive line, Jeremy Sprinkle, Brandon Allen, and Alex Collins in 2015. He had them playing like an elite offense by the end of the year. The talent dropped off the next two years, he did get Sprinkle back in 2016, but he lost Collins, the better Allen brother, and some others. He still put up respectable offenses. I honestly think that 2017 ranking is way more impressive than the 2016 ranking and is up there with the 2015 ranking. The talent was not near as good that year, Austin Allen was clearly worse than his brother, Austin Allen got injured and missed multiple games, he came back and was never the same after the injury, but the offense still was pretty decent overall on the year.

Enos is going to have more talent at the skill positions here at Miami annually than he ever had at Arkansas. He won't have the big mauling OL that was bigger than most NFL lines, though. If he can tailor his offense to our skill position players and leaner, more athletic linemen as efficiently as he did at Arkansas and with their personnel, then we should be in good shape.

My biggest worry with Enos' time at Arkansas was his QB recruiting. It was not great. he has Van Dyke already for us, but can he land a player of that caliber each cycle?

Advertisement
If Tate can make this throw he can handle any throw required to run this offense.

Whoever the QB is needs reps. I hope they cut it down to 2 sooner than later to get these 2 qbs (whoever they are) the reps to get ready for 8/24.

Tate and Jarren.

End man on the line of scrimmage? As in the DE/Edge? That's the read-option, and a totally different [run] concept. Re: the hanging defender in the RPO, I'm talking about the role typically played by an OLB or Safety in the box (completely off the LOS), as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

*And, I'll add, that overhang player is supposed to remain in conflict, or if he doesn't exist, there are variations of what the "pass" option can be depending on DB coverage (off). In other words, I've always mentioned this overhang defender because it dictates pre and post snap reads for the QB.

What I've seen some defenses do in a very cool way is similar to how coordinators began messing up the read-option: exchange responsibilities, pre-snap disguises of that conflicted player's location. Etc. The reason there's such a big gap between college and NFL RPOs is because the NFL tries to be so much tighter with the illegal man downfield calls. In college, the conflict becomes ridiculous for the defender. And, now you see teams like the Chiefs take advantage of that by getting their OLinemen horizontal. This stuff is fun to watch evolve.
I'm just not familiar with the hanging defender term to be honest so i was trying to clarify what you were referring to. Well versed in the read option/zone read as we ran it before it was called that in college. Rich Rod was an early pioneer of it with Woody Dantzler at Clemson and we copied it.

I think, like everything, the defense has caught up with the offense in terms of the RPO. I have seen the hanging defender take a small step forward and a step in place to simulate the motion of coming towards the LOS to try and force the QB to read pass. Then the LB squats in the throwing lane. It's a very good chess game or game within the game to watch and you're correct when you speak of trying to mess up the reads of the QB.. Anything to try and throw off the read and if you get a QB guessing or hesitating then as a D you can have your way.

I also think the reason the RPO is not more of an NFL thing is just the sheer athleticism of the players. OLBS/SS in the league can literally play the run and get to the passing lane and vice versa. They're just that athletic. Not that i watch the NFL much anymore, but i am curious to see what the Chiefs can do this year now that the league and coordinators have a year of film and an off-season to prepare for their attack. We'll see if Mahomes is more Marino or O'Brien this year.

Advertisement
There is no way anyone can have a freaking clue who is going to be our QB as they all have been good not great so far . The only thing I am sure of is by December either Perry or Williams transfers .

I'm just not familiar with the hanging defender term to be honest so i was trying to clarify what you were referring to. Well versed in the read option/zone read as we ran it before it was called that in college. Rich Rod was an early pioneer of it with Woody Dantzler at Clemson and we copied it.

I think, like everything, the defense has caught up with the offense in terms of the RPO. I have seen the hanging defender take a small step forward and a step in place to simulate the motion of coming towards the LOS to try and force the QB to read pass. Then the LB squats in the throwing lane. It's a very good chess game or game within the game to watch and you're correct when you speak of trying to mess up the reads of the QB.. Anything to try and throw off the read and if you get a QB guessing or hesitating then as a D you can have your way.

I also think the reason the RPO is not more of an NFL thing is just the sheer athleticism of the players. OLBS/SS in the league can literally play the run and get to the passing lane and vice versa. They're just that athletic. Not that i watch the NFL much anymore, but i am curious to see what the Chiefs can do this year now that the league and coordinators have a year of film and an off-season to prepare for their attack. We'll see if Mahomes is more Marino or O'Brien this year.
Think most people call it an overhang, hang or hanging. I've seen defense folks teaching it that way. But who knows. Seems we're referring to the same player.

One of the reasons I like defense so much is because I feel it requires so much more to keep up with a game that's openly trying to favor the offense. I tend to agree with you in that smart, experienced coaches have used their creative powers to answer to (not sure if it caught up with) offenses using the downfield rules really loosely.

What you described in what you've seen (player move forward, LB moves into passing lane) is what I referenced as exchange of responsibilities. Kinda like how the whole scrape exchange ripped the soul out of some of the zone-read concepts. That **** is cool, but I like to learn about football stuff and there's always new stuff to learn from a lot of people who get exposed to different stuff than a [now older] guy like me does. I always ask kids playing if their coach is introducing new concepts. Appreciate the football convo.

Advertisement
I would put zero stock into the old stats like total offense or total defense. Advanced analytics are not perfect, but they definitely paint a better picture than the old school basic stats.

Enos' offense S&P+ rankings at Arkansas were
2015 - #2 in the nation
2016 - #29
2017 - #35

He had a big mauling offensive line, Jeremy Sprinkle, Brandon Allen, and Alex Collins in 2015. He had them playing like an elite offense by the end of the year. The talent dropped off the next two years, he did get Sprinkle back in 2016, but he lost Collins, the better Allen brother, and some others. He still put up respectable offenses. I honestly think that 2017 ranking is way more impressive than the 2016 ranking and is up there with the 2015 ranking. The talent was not near as good that year, Austin Allen was clearly worse than his brother, Austin Allen got injured and missed multiple games, he came back and was never the same after the injury, but the offense still was pretty decent overall on the year.

Enos is going to have more talent at the skill positions here at Miami annually than he ever had at Arkansas. He won't have the big mauling OL that was bigger than most NFL lines, though. If he can tailor his offense to our skill position players and leaner, more athletic linemen as efficiently as he did at Arkansas and with their personnel, then we should be in good shape.

My biggest worry with Enos' time at Arkansas was his QB recruiting. It was not great. he has Van Dyke already for us, but can he land a player of that caliber each cycle?
This dude sounds like an older poster I recognize. If it's who I think it is, hope you stick around this time and keep talking football.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Quick note in regards to the USPS. They don't care what city it says on a delivery. Only the zip code. Sometimes two cities share the same zip code. I used to live in Dania Beach 33312. Same zip code used in west Fort Lauderdale. Shipping companies would automatically assign the city of Fort Lauderdale to any package sent to me even though I clearly lived in Dania Beach.

Daphne Zuniga’s an actress. You mean Jabari Zuniga???
I like Jabari Zuniga’s game but that may be a sign of weakness to some on this board so I used Daphne’s name to mask my respect for the kid to appease the pitchfork crowd. I am too old to get into an internet ****ing contest over how much Cane love I have in my soul.

I like Jabari Zuniga’s game but that may be a sign of weakness to some on this board so I used Daphne’s name to mask my respect for the kid to appease the pitchfork crowd. I am too old to get into an internet ****ing contest over how much Cane love I have in my soul.
They don't know any better. They think behavior that was cool in the 90's is still cool today, but in reality, it's just corny.

Advertisement
Back