Fall Camp PractiSe #12: Tuesday Evening, August 15

Advertisement
Agreed. If Zion really can’t go by A&M then we need to let Samson start week 1 to get those reps in. - Never viewed Rivers as a T, he needs to be inside.

Ideally I would love Zion at LT, Rivers at LG & Cohen at RG. With Cooper, McCoy, Samson as the next men up.
I think eventually when Samson is ready this is what happens though at the same time Rivers is a vet. He’s been banged up but the kid is really talented as well. I trust him out there when the life bullets are flying.

so funny. my boy just said he thinks we dodged a bullet on Cormani.
There’s zero debates on how talented he is and can be

But no sour grapes anyone that handles their recruitment the way he did raises some massive red flags whether they will be able to handle the other things that come along with playing football in college

Could be but it could also be the fact that we have some horses at RB and some Giants on OL. 🤷‍♂️
LOL!

You beat me to it. Was about to reply the same thing.

Could be that we actually have some people movers on our OL.

But no sour grapes anyone that handles their recruitment the way he did raises some massive red flags whether they will be able to handle the other things that come along with playing football in college
he is high potential. he wasnt dominate in HS.

Advertisement
Nah. It doesn't work like that. Try again.

You denying facts and saying something doesn't work a certain way doesn't make it so. There are outliers with every situation, but size matters in the trenches. If it didn't then why the **** do coaches look at measurables when their recruit for the positions up front.

Marshall’s DL wasn’t any bigger and they had one of the top rush defenses IIRC last year.

There's outliers and stats don't always tell the whole story. Marshall also didn't play a murderous row of running offenses either.

so funny. my boy just said he thinks we dodged a bullet on Cormani.
Some kids just take a little longer to mature and get acclimated to college. A redshirt might be good for him to adjust both physically and mentally. He will probably be really good in a year or two.

Advertisement
I'll be real, I think it'll be really difficult to stop the run against this O-Line consistenly.

We have to allow this D-Line to compare themselves to the nations average and that O-Line surely isn't average.
Not to this fanbase....

Advertisement
Definitely seeing some themes the last couple of weeks:
1) TVD appears healthy and back to 2021 form
2) Our offense might run through our RBs
3) Run D is an issue
Scrimmage/practice always produces weird conclusions. Like in the Brady hey day did the Patriots fans mope around that their pass defense sucked? Maybe our run O is really good?

There's outliers and stats don't always tell the whole story. Marshall also didn't play a murderous row of running offenses either.

They also were working with similarly talented defensive players to offensive they played against. The 49ers had the #1 or #2 rush defense last season and their DL averaged a whopping 281 lbs (rounded up) with only 4 above 300lbs. Our DL listed weight average is 270, 3 at or above 300lbs and the average drastically hit by Moss, Wayne and Scheurman. Take them out and it’s 278 across the DL. You say outlier but show me statistics that say you need x size DL to be successful against the run. We very may well suck against the run but that would be a talent issue not size issue.

Putting it quite simple with Newton's Law. Force is directly proportional to both mass and acceleration. If our guys are lighter in the *** then there's good probability they'll struggle with bigger, stronger guys leaning on them. I'm also basing it off of what other's have seen at practice and scrimmages. I'm also basing it off of us struggling to really stop the run last year. Especially against decent teams. We're smaller upfront than we were last year.
I don't think it is nearly that simple. Speed off the ball, hand placement, leverage, etc all matter. It isn't two random molecules banging in to each other. All other things equal, bigger wins. But all things are never equal.

Advertisement

There are great pro athletes in all sports I'd never want on my team --- hello Kyrie---because they are a cancer. Sometimes it is just them, sometimes them and their agent, relatives or entourage----hello Mr. Ball. Same has to be true at the college level and there it isn't even clear how dominant the player is because they are unproven.

I don't think it is nearly that simple. Speed off the ball, hand placement, leverage, etc all matter. It isn't two random molecules banging in to each other. All other things equal, bigger wins. But all things are never equal.

Yea of course if you can get 6’4”+ 300 athletic behemoths across the line roll the dice on them 10/10 times. But that does not guarantee success just as having a 280 line doesn’t guarantee you won’t be successful. They’re going up against an NFL OG, C and future picks across the line. I’d be more worried if the OL couldn’t get a push.

There are great pro athletes in all sports I'd never want on my team --- hello Kyrie---because they are a cancer. Sometimes it is just them, sometimes them and their agent, relatives or entourage----hello Mr. Ball. Same has to be true at the college level and there it isn't even clear how dominant the player is because they are unproven.
Not saying he is a bad kid or if he is, can’t turn things around, but I’ve seen enough guys like this to know it usually just gets worse when they get to college

A player that doesn’t honor his commitments committing to a coach that doesn’t honor his commitments is probably not a great mix but who knows

Yeah, I'm very worried about the run defense this year. Was really hoping we would land a space eater in the portal for run stuffing after D Jackson left. That didn't happen. Most of our DT's are on the lighter side and could have a tendency to get pushed around by bigger lines.
Lol. How good was our run defense with D Jackson last year? Guy was so overrated that it's not funny.

Advertisement
Back