Fall Camp PractiSe #12: Tuesday Evening, August 15

Advertisement
Some notes from 247 as shared by someone at the scrimmage:

TVD looks comfortable running the offense. JB was up and down - did have a beautiful throw to Harrell, who dropped the pass...
Emory did a solid job when he got 2nd team reps.

The offense was productive in red zone drills. Emphasis has been placed on improving in that area this year.

Rivers got some reps at center. Likely part of the cross training going on across the OL. Samson Okulola was getting left tackle reps during that position. Okunlola was also getting work at guard. Okunlola and Matthew McCoy appear to be the sixth and seventh linemen right now.

Colbie Young looked impressive

Allen, Fletcher and Chaney all flashed , getting 1st and 2nd team reps

LT showed up early in 11 v 11 reps. Run defense was solid early but had inconsistency as practice went on.

James Williams was taking first team reps and was vocal and involved on the back end.

Davonte Brown stood out at CB. Damari Brown and Daryl Porter stood out at the other cornerback spot. Jadais Richard and Jaden Davis also got some first team reps. Te’Cory Couch had an inconsistent day

Advertisement
Rivers got some reps at center. Likely part of the cross training going on across the OL.

Samson Okulola was getting left tackle reps during that position. Okunlola was also getting work at guard.

Okunlola and Matthew McCoy appear to be the sixth and seventh linemen right now.

Rivers as a backup Center would be a significant positive - in case of an emergency this year, and possibly for next year.

Mccoy jumping Logan as the 7th guy would be a GREAT fall camp breakthrough. At the beginning of Fall camp, when asked about the 7th OL, Mirabal paused and said probably Logan.

Mccoy making that leap means Logan is likely the 8th and at least serviceable in case of an emergency. I'd wish for Tinsler to jump him, too, and then we'd have 9 OL who could give us legitimate snaps.

What would that mean? Well, just that, when inevitable injuries occur and heaven forbid a string of them, we would be less likely to fall apart like we did last year.

Some notes from 247 as shared by someone at the scrimmage:

TVD looks comfortable running the offense. JB was up and down - did have a beautiful throw to Harrell, who dropped the pass...
Emory did a solid job when he got 2nd team reps.

The offense was productive in red zone drills. Emphasis has been placed on improving in that area this year.

Rivers got some reps at center. Likely part of the cross training going on across the OL. Samson Okulola was getting left tackle reps during that position. Okunlola was also getting work at guard. Okunlola and Matthew McCoy appear to be the sixth and seventh linemen right now.

Colbie Young looked impressive

Allen, Fletcher and Chaney all flashed , getting 1st and 2nd team reps

LT showed up early in 11 v 11 reps. Run defense was solid early but had inconsistency as practice went on.

James Williams was taking first team reps and was vocal and involved on the back end.

Davonte Brown stood out at CB. Damari Brown and Daryl Porter stood out at the other cornerback spot. Jadais Richard and Jaden Davis also got some first team reps. Te’Cory Couch had an inconsistent day
Sorry if this was already discussed but who was the better High school player of the 2 Brown brothers?

Advertisement
Could be but it could also be the fact that we have some horses at RB and some Giants on OL. 🤷‍♂️
That's definitely the other side of the coin. My concern about run defense is the poor DT depth and the years of bad fundamentals with tackling, pursuit angles. I wanna see a step forward but my expectations aren't going to be too high on defense in Guidry year 1.

Advertisement
Very excited to see this Oline develop throughout the season. Samson and McCoy bring 6&7 is a great development. I expect to see Kinsler at that 8 spot soon enough. Building real depth but we need to attack that Center spot in the portal again next season.

Liking the consistent positive news about TVD, the o line creating running lanes, and the likelihood of much improved pass defense. Run defense sounding like it could be the Achilles heel.

Yeah, I'm very worried about the run defense this year. Was really hoping we would land a space eater in the portal for run stuffing after D Jackson left. That didn't happen. Most of our DT's are on the lighter side and could have a tendency to get pushed around by bigger lines.

Advertisement
Yeah, I'm very worried about the run defense this year. Was really hoping we would land a space eater in the portal for run stuffing after D Jackson left. That didn't happen. Most of our DT's are on the lighter side and could have a tendency to get pushed around by bigger lines.
What will be interesting to see is how involved Moten/Horten are. We have some bigger bodies but will they be ready to play significant snaps?

Advertisement
Back