Fall Camp PractiSe #12: Tuesday Evening, August 15

Advertisement
Marshall’s DL wasn’t any bigger and they had one of the top rush defenses IIRC last year.
The only P5 team Marshall played was Notre Dame. Their next toughest opponent was App State and UConn (in their bowl). It's easier to have a "top rush defense" when most of your schedule is Bowling Green, Old Dominion, Geogia State, etal.

The only P5 team Marshall played was Notre Dame. Their next toughest opponent was App State and UConn (in their bowl). It's easier to have a "top rush defense" when most of your schedule is Bowling Green, Old Dominion, Geogia State, etal.

Ok? They all recruit 50+ classes and **** last year literally every team you listed outside of ND had classes between 116-125. They’re playing similar talent so the opponent quality isn’t skewing this as many quip back with.

This isn’t the same as saying “Well, yeah Georgia had the top defense but played 7 G5 teams”.

They also were working with similarly talented defensive players to offensive they played against. The 49ers had the #1 or #2 rush defense last season and their DL averaged a whopping 281 lbs (rounded up) with only 4 above 300lbs. Our DL listed weight average is 270, 3 at or above 300lbs and the average drastically hit by Moss, Wayne and Scheurman. Take them out and it’s 278 across the DL. You say outlier but show me statistics that say you need x size DL to be successful against the run. We very may well suck against the run but that would be a talent issue not size issue.
To be fair I believe most on here are referring to the interior DL. SF has some light ends that skews the average down a bit. The two deep at DT for them is 290, 305, 319, 295 so not exactly small.

I agree size is not everything and Guidry should be able to scheme around it but do we have a guy who can anchor against the run and stack a double team? Maybe Moten, possibly Dean? Even though he is not huge he seems compact and strong. But most of our guys fit more as a 3tech. Thats the concern

FYI I didn't think Jackson was an anchor and stack guy either even though he was big. Jordan Miller is the one I wish they were able to hold on to because he did fit that role.

Advertisement
Ok? They all recruit 50+ classes and **** last year literally every team you listed outside of ND had classes between 116-125. They’re playing similar talent so the opponent quality isn’t skewing this as many quip back with.

This isn’t the same as saying “Well, yeah Georgia had the top defense but played 7 G5 teams”.
But we're not playing similar talent. There are at least 5 teams that run really well. The concern is you can do it once but it wears on you. Just look how it weared on us after the Texas A&M game. We were veritable mash unit.

To be fair I believe most on here are referring to the interior DL. SF has some light ends that skews the average down a bit. The two deep at DT for them is 290, 305, 319, 295 so not exactly small.

I agree size is not everything and Guidry should be able to scheme around it but do we have a guy who can anchor against the run and stack a double team? Maybe Moten, possibly Dean? Even though he is not huge he seems compact and strong. But most of our guys fit more as a 3tech. Thats the concern

FYI I didn't think Jackson was an anchor and stack guy either even though he was big. Jordan Miller is the one I wish they were able to hold on to because he did fit that role.

Our interior is likely 305, 280, 325, 295. Literally a 4 total lb difference.

But we're not playing similar talent. There are at least 5 teams that run really well. The concern is you can do it once but it wears on you. Just look how it weared on us after the Texas A&M game. We were veritable mash unit.

Nobody can say this definitively. Our classes and transfers are much higher ranked than 90% of the ACC.

Keep the goal posts moving.

This

Who would have thought anyone would say we'd miss Jorden Miller.

Advertisement
This is not a good take lol This is where these running offenses ranked nationally

#12 Georgia St

#28 App St

#32 Notre Dame

#33 North Texas

#36 UCONN

#38 James Madison

Nobody can say this definitively. Our classes and transfers are much higher ranked than 90% of the ACC.

Keep the goal posts moving.

That's an overused metaphor that's become cliché. The goal posts haven't moved. The schedule has been set for some time.

What's important is how our run defense stacks up against the teams on our schedule.

This is not a good take lol This is where these running offenses ranked nationally

#12 Georgia St

#28 App St

#32 Notre Dame

#33 North Texas

#36 UCONN

#38 James Madison
That's not a good take. I don't care about the national rank; I also need perspective on the quality of their opponents. I'll take the running games of the following over anyone Marshall has played except Notre Dame.
  • Texas A&M
  • UNC
  • NC State
  • Clemson
  • F$U
  • Louisville (surprisingly ranked 23)
Edit: I noticed the Air Force and Army had the top two rushing offenses. How do you think they would stack up against your average P5 team let alone a ranked team.

Last edited:
That's definitely the other side of the coin. My concern about run defense is the poor DT depth and the years of bad fundamentals with tackling, pursuit angles. I wanna see a step forward but my expectations aren't going to be too high on defense in Guidry year 1.
That's certainly a huge part of it. The x factor with our run defense this year will be the continuous work in progress of our linebackers room and how well James takes to this new capacity as more of a hybrid safety. Corner play will take on a huge piece in that because if they struggle then you're less likely to let James play freely if his passing d responsibilities need to be counted on.

Advertisement
Our interior is likely 305, 280, 325, 295. Literally a 4 total lb difference.
I agree size is not the be all end all (once you get past a certain threshold) and I don't think we are particularly small either. What SF has this year that we dont are guys like Javon Hargrave who is a beast and incredibly hard to move.

I am hoping Branson Dean can maybe bring some of that type of play.. Stout, powerful, explosive

That's certainly a huge part of it. The x factor with our run defense this year will be the continuous work in progress of our linebackers room and how well James takes to this new capacity as more of a hybrid safety. Corner play will take on a huge piece in that because if they struggle then you're less likely to let James play freely if his passing d responsibilities need to be counted on.
I'm definitely very anxious to see how our linebackers look. We've made lots of great new additions, some serious looking athletes. And we've heard nothing but positives about Richard, Jaden Davis, and Damari. A lot looks in place to improve greatly. I want to see how Guidry makes adjustments on the fly if an opponent is beating his initial gameplan.

Advertisement
Why do yall keep saying this? It doesn't work like this. Its not as simple as just leaning on us cause you big.

The Dline practices against one of the best lines and line coaches, in the country, daily. What makes you think other teams are just going to be able to lean on us?

You don't need to be a big Dline to stop the run.
Im glad somebody finally said it!!!

That's not a good take. I don't care about the national rank; I also need perspective on the quality of their opponents. I'll take the running games of the following over anyone Marshall has played except Notre Dame.
  • Texas A&M
  • UNC
  • NC State
  • Clemson
  • F$U
  • Louisville (surprisingly ranked 23)
Edit: I noticed the Air Force and Army had the top two rushing offenses. How do you think they would stack up against your average P5 team let alone a ranked team.
Army runs a triple option..:which is so rare it can break teams who are poorly prepared

Advertisement
Back