Facility upgrades

Advertisement
Ferman is most likely incorrect. Probably can't read a map.

East of the existing practice facility is a canal. And the Wellness Center parking lot, which is always jam-packed. I mean, in theory, anything is possible. Parking garages can be built. I just don't see this "east side" plan as being possible in a short time period, as there are a lot of moving parts (and let's not pretend that parking is huge.

As for the track moving and the IM fields, it is POSSIBLE that the demolition of Stanford Residential College (Rosborough Tower, Walsh Tower, and the common area lobby building) could create enough space to orient the track lengthwise next to the Frost School of Music. When you combine this with the fact that the IM Fields were EXPANDED when they tore down the Army Amrory building, we'd be right back to "1980s-1990s" sized intramural field facilities. And maybe, just maybe, we could ALSO expand the IM Fields to the Mahoney-Pearson driving range, but I'd have to believe the Gables residents would have some issues (workable, but would also potentially cause a delay).

I'd also like to know if the Hecht-Stanford cafeteria will be torn down. I know that the dorms next to Eaton incorporate dining inside of the building, I'd imagine the new dorms will as well.
The best layout would probably look like this. Expand the IPF to make it a full field and attach the new building to the show of it. Then they can relocate Cobb Stadium which would give them a big space for a full field. This would make the most sense since the locker rooms/weight room would be attached to the IPF and not on the opposite side of it.

1651594784519.png

The best layout would probably look like this. Expand the IPF to make it a full field and attach the new building to the show of it. Then they can relocate Cobb Stadium which would give them a big space for a full field. This would make the most sense since the locker rooms/weight room would be attached to the IPF and not on the opposite side of it.

View attachment 184740

Sure, but it was my understanding that the IPF would only stretch further south for the "easternmost" field (the one to the far right of the facility).

Here's my thoughts on the mapping...

1. Tear down Stanford Lobby (messy) and build new track next to Frost School of Music. Very fast construction.
2. Tear down old Hecht, build new Hecht in its place. Old Cobb track becomes staging area for construction.
3. When new Hecht construction is done, turn old Cobb track into new Greentree #1 field. Keep existing full-length Greentree field as new #2 field (in the middle). Stretch IPF southward onto easternmost Greentree field, and turn the outside portion into Greentree #3, a 50-yard field for OL/DL work.

1651596576752.png

Advertisement
Sure, but it was my understanding that the IPF would only stretch further south for the "easternmost" field (the one to the far right of the facility).

Here's my thoughts on the mapping...

1. Tear down Stanford Lobby (messy) and build new track next to Frost School of Music. Very fast construction.
2. Tear down old Hecht, build new Hecht in its place. Old Cobb track becomes staging area for construction.
3. When new Hecht construction is done, turn old Cobb track into new Greentree #1 field. Keep existing full-length Greentree field as new #2 field (in the middle). Stretch IPF southward onto easternmost Greentree field, and turn the outside portion into Greentree #3, a 50-yard field for OL/DL work.

View attachment 184743
If this place is going to be as awesome as the rumors say, could they be without Hecht for that long?

If this place is going to be as awesome as the rumors say, could they be without Hecht for that long?

The oldest part of Hecht is mainly lobby, administrative offices, and some meeting rooms.

Move all of that stuff to modular buildings and/or another building on campus. Old Hecht is only 2 floors, you could probably tear it down quickly. The replacement is going to be 6 or 7 stories, so that would take longer.

Advertisement
Ferman is most likely incorrect. Probably can't read a map.

East of the existing practice facility is a canal. And the Wellness Center parking lot, which is always jam-packed. I mean, in theory, anything is possible. Parking garages can be built. I just don't see this "east side" plan as being possible in a short time period, as there are a lot of moving parts (and let's not pretend that parking is huge.

As for the track moving and the IM fields, it is POSSIBLE that the demolition of Stanford Residential College (Rosborough Tower, Walsh Tower, and the common area lobby building) could create enough space to orient the track lengthwise next to the Frost School of Music. When you combine this with the fact that the IM Fields were EXPANDED when they tore down the Army Amrory building, we'd be right back to "1980s-1990s" sized intramural field facilities. And maybe, just maybe, we could ALSO expand the IM Fields to the Mahoney-Pearson driving range, but I'd have to believe the Gables residents would have some issues (workable, but would also potentially cause a delay).

I'd also like to know if the Hecht-Stanford cafeteria will be torn down. I know that the dorms next to Eaton incorporate dining inside of the building, I'd imagine the new dorms will as well.
They can turf up the "new" Cobb and allow club sports to use the field. That would relieve some of the IM field usage wherever it goes. Hecht-Stanford would have to be the last to go. Even when the Towers are dropped that would left Mahoney-Pearson as the only dining hall on campus.

They can turf up the "new" Cobb and allow club sports to use the field. That would relieve some of the IM field usage wherever it goes. Hecht-Stanford would have to be the last to go. Even when the Towers are dropped that would left Mahoney-Pearson as the only dining hall on campus.

I agree, I don't think the "field" part of the Cobb Track & Field facility is heavily used, unless I'm completely misunderstanding how the events for javelin/shotput/hammer/discus operate. And I think all the jumping/vaulting events take place into those areas between the field and the curves of the track. So, yes, you could use the "field" of New Cobb for IMs (it would also be the best spot for the marching band to practice, assuming no conflicts with Track).

I know that at least one of your kids went to UM recently. Do UM students even use the big cafeterias as much anymore, now that there are so many options? When I started at UM, we had Mahoney-Pearson, Hecht-Stanford, and the Hurricane Cafeterias (and that was mostly for Eaton), and then that little tiny Eye burger spot next to the pool, plus the Ibis (a la carte, not a real cafeteria) next to the Hurricane. That was it. I think the old Hurricane cafeteria and the Ibis were rolled together for the newer food court area, so I'm curious whether the new mega-dorm next to Eaton has to send people to Mahoney-Pearson for traditional cafeteria meals.

At this point, with everyone's dietary restrictions and food allergies, I see the old-fashioned all-you-can-eat cafeterias going the way of the dodo.

Advertisement
I agree, I don't think the "field" part of the Cobb Track & Field facility is heavily used, unless I'm completely misunderstanding how the events for javelin/shotput/hammer/discus operate. And I think all the jumping/vaulting events take place into those areas between the field and the curves of the track. So, yes, you could use the "field" of New Cobb for IMs (it would also be the best spot for the marching band to practice, assuming no conflicts with Track).

I know that at least one of your kids went to UM recently. Do UM students even use the big cafeterias as much anymore, now that there are so many options? When I started at UM, we had Mahoney-Pearson, Hecht-Stanford, and the Hurricane Cafeterias (and that was mostly for Eaton), and then that little tiny Eye burger spot next to the pool, plus the Ibis (a la carte, not a real cafeteria) next to the Hurricane. That was it. I think the old Hurricane cafeteria and the Ibis were rolled together for the newer food court area, so I'm curious whether the new mega-dorm next to Eaton has to send people to Mahoney-Pearson for traditional cafeteria meals.

At this point, with everyone's dietary restrictions and food allergies, I see the old-fashioned all-you-can-eat cafeterias going the way of the dodo.
Yes. they use the cafeterias. That is the primary food plan. You buy into extra dollars to use the food courts. My son would go to both but primarily Hecht-Stanford since he lived in Pentland. Chris graduates next Friday and commissions on Saturday.

Yes. they use the cafeterias. That is the primary food plan. You buy into extra dollars to use the food courts. My son would go to both but primarily Hecht-Stanford since he lived in Pentland. Chris graduates next Friday and commissions on Saturday.
@Pentagon Cane ....Congrats to your Son...Well done...

That sounds fair. The reason I was also asking is that I believe those cafs were built in the 1970s, so they need some major renovation or rebuild at some point.

OK, I just did the research, I have the answer now:

"This second phase begins with the complete replacement of Hecht Residential College followed by Stanford Residential College. In addition, the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall will be replaced with a new facility integrated into the village."

So that means they will tear down the 4 towers, the 2 lobby buildings, and the cafeteria. I wonder if they will be using Stanford while they tear down Hecht.

And then I would imagine that "phase 3" will be Mahoney-Pearson.

Oh, and sorry for hitting "return" too quickly, but congrats to your son, on both counts!

Advertisement
And, of course, if I just had another 60 seconds of patience, I would get all the answers to my questions...

Project Timeline

May 2022: Hecht Residential College closes
May 2024: Stanford Residential College and Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall close
August 2024: Residential colleges 1 and 2 open (including new dining hall)
August 2026: Residential colleges 3, 4, and 5 open

Estimated Cost​

$335 million

Program Data​

Total Number of Beds: approximately 2,025

• Residential Colleges 1 and 2: 875
  • Residential Colleges 3, 4, and 5: 1,150
Area

• Residential Colleges 1 and 2: 310, 000 square feet
  • Residential Colleges 3 and 4: 270,000 square feet
  • Residential College 5: 95,000 square feet
Heights

• Residential College 1 (North): 10 floors
  • Residential College 2 (South): 9 floors
  • Residential College 3 (North): 8 floors
  • Residential College 4 (South): 10 floors
  • Residential College 5: 8 floors

Common Spaces​

• Classrooms
  • Conference and seminar rooms
  • Faculty and staff apartments
  • Two multi-purpose great rooms
  • Collaborative working space for students and faculty living or teaching in Centennial Village
  • Meditation/reflection rooms
  • Recreation and gaming lounges
  • 600-seat dining facility
  • Music practice rooms

Congratulations to you and him. Best of luck to him in his future career. No better feeling than that sense of pride you feel in your kids’ accomplishments

Advertisement
Back