Expectations for Zion

1. His application for candidacy has been declined.

2. I am currently expecting more breakouts on my face than anyone on the rooster. But there’s still time.
David Lake of 247 listed 5 players with a chance of a breakout season pending certain things. Not as invested in one player without condition like you are when you make a choice but these are the 5 he listed, not necessarily in order:
TVD
Zion
JW
LT
Nyjalik

@Cryptical Envelopment 😂

Advertisement
View attachment 239637To think of the conversations we are having about this guy. He's come a long way.
He was a true freshman project who was force fed for months to put weight on him because we had no other options as a **** run program, then to help him out because he was starting with with speed rush DEs from power conference we gave him no help, put him on island while DE look like they are in wide nine track stance and did deeeeeeeeep play action drops over and over and over... Miami Hurricane football everybody circa who knows what year, pick any

I imagine Zion is doing everything he can to get back onto the field. This is his "money making" year and he needs to show the scouts he's healthy.

He needs to participate in Fall camp. Otherwise, there's just too much rust to come off in mid-season. It would be detrimental to himself and the team.

So, if he can't practice in Fall camp, he should just sit out another year in which he would likely transfer because I don't see Samson sitting in year 2 behind Zion or he would likely transfer as well.

No one here knows how healthy Zion is or isn't. Complete wildcard.

Here's what I do know, if Zion does end up being healthy enough to play it would be one of the biggest pieces of good news all offseason because I honestly don't think River's future is at tackle. Zion being healthy is a win-win for everyone. He gets a chance to play well and re-affirm his draft stock, while we get to bridge one more year to allow the other young 5 star OT from last years recruiting class to buy a redshirt year to prepare.

Here's what I do know, if Zion does end up being healthy enough to play it would be one of the biggest pieces of good news all offseason because I honestly don't think River's future is at tackle. Zion being healthy is a win-win for everyone. He gets a chance to play well and re-affirm his draft stock, while we get to bridge one more year to allow the other young 5 star OT from last years recruiting class to buy a redshirt year to prepare.

This. And I think what everyone is really asking for is to avoid the “Zion can be a HUGE help” talk… because unless that starts with a huge IF … it’s Kool Aid…

We really have no idea what to expect from him after missing this much time.

Advertisement
This. And I think what everyone is really asking for is to avoid the “Zion can be a HUGE help” talk… because unless that starts with a huge IF … it’s Kool Aid…

We really have no idea what to expect from him after missing this much time.

While I agree it's all speculation on here, I keep asking myself why OT wasn't a high priority in the portal. Rivers and Cohen can plug there but belong inside. So to me, the most obvious answer would be that coaches feel Zion will be ready, possibly McCoy as well.

While I agree it's all speculation on here, I keep asking myself why OT wasn't a high priority in the portal. Rivers and Cohen can plug there but belong inside. So to me, the most obvious answer would be that coaches feel Zion will be ready, possibly McCoy as well.

While they are certainly OL gurus, they supplemented last years weak OL with two jags from Oregon that were more work ethic/culture guys than productive on the field … a year with the crew gives me more hope in this area, but we just need to see it on the field since there have been so many gaps all over…

It’s difficult to get a clean read on how good the OL is, when there has been a clear call for help on the DL and that our D was largely injured/out during Spring…

A comparable example may be last year’s discussion around WR/CB - turns out they all sucked but Tyrique….

Cautiously optimistic…

I agree with most of what you said. I think Zion needs to be healthy by Fall camp. The thing is Sampson is not going to redshirt with or without Zion. Sampson is going to play and may be the starter before the season is over if Zion doesn't return. In either case, Sampson and Francis are only going to be here 3 years. Both will play as freshman. Francis is already the starter at RT and Sampson is the 2nd team LT.

Starting OT without a doubt. Not sure I understand the treatment he gets from fans. He missed a season with a knee injury. Before suffering that injury he started 32 games and looked good doing it.
From my personal perspective, I think the treatment from fans was more along the lines of thinking he didn’t deserve some of those lofty draft projections.

I don’t think too many people would say he wasn’t a solid player for us or they don’t want him back.

Proven (enough) commodity at a position of need. Would be huge to get him back healthy.

Still not a first round talent though.

Advertisement
I agree with most of what you said. I think Zion needs to be healthy by Fall camp. The thing is Sampson is not going to redshirt with or without Zion. Sampson is going to play and may be the starter before the season is over if Zion doesn't return. In either case, Sampson and Francis are only going to be here 3 years. Both will play as freshman. Francis is already the starter at RT and Sampson is the 2nd team LT.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Francis is further along right now, in terms of being ready to play, than Sampson. Sampson would also be playing LT, as opposed to Francis playing RT. I think most would agree that LT is a more dangerous spot to start a true freshman unless he's 100% ready.

Zion buys us time to get Sampson ready. This team badly needs Zion to get healthy. It will make a world of difference to not just this years line, but next years line since that trajectory could impact Sampson's progression.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Francis is further along right now, in terms of being ready to play, than Sampson. Sampson would also be playing LT, as opposed to Francis playing RT. I think most would agree that LT is a more dangerous spot to start a true freshman unless he's 100% ready.

Zion buys us time to get Sampson ready. This team badly needs Zion to get healthy. It will make a world of difference to not just this years line, but next years line since that trajectory could impact Sampson's progression.
Sampson is already the swing OT. He's not going to redshirt. He's going to play.

I agree we need a healthy Zion.

While they are certainly OL gurus, they supplemented last years weak OL with two jags from Oregon that were more work ethic/culture guys than productive on the field … a year with the crew gives me more hope in this area, but we just need to see it on the field since there have been so many gaps all over…

It’s difficult to get a clean read on how good the OL is, when there has been a clear call for help on the DL and that our D was largely injured/out during Spring…

A comparable example may be last year’s discussion around WR/CB - turns out they all sucked but Tyrique….

Cautiously optimistic…

I understand the caution. I guess I'm a glass half full guy though. Because my take on last year is that everything that could go wrong did go wrong. They started with a OL put together with chicken wire and hay. Then they were decimated by injuries. Zion, John Campbell (who they apparently liked in camp), Rivers, Clark, Cooper were all injured at some point. They came together as a staff too late with a **** OC, so lost out on the good portal adds. Then they had a culture issue. That's why I give them a hall pass.

I also think it's really not debatable that Zion, Cohen and Lee have been productive P5 OL, and Rivers when healthy has shown a lot of promise. Cooper, Mauigoa and the other Freshmen are all athletically vastly more gifted than what Mario inherited and the Oregon kids he brought with him. So upgrades all around. That's why, in addition to the mulligan, I am very optimistic about 2023.

Now if Zion doesn't come back strong, I'll consider that a big fail to not have backfilled in the portal with a serviceable OT.

I’m just stuck wondering Zions amazing success story from being a projected flop a criticized recruit to a projected high NFL draft choice and now possibly not even able to probably start let alone finishing a single game.

Even now how would any NFL team put millions into drafting Zion when they just offer him a undrafted free agent contract which at best is what he’ll be offered .

I feel so bad for him from elite OT to a injured mess of not even starting a real possibility.

I cheered him on for years as he proved to everyone a miracle transformation was unfolding to a star and now injury issues he’s now labeled with.

I want the best for Zion yo again rise to reclaim his position.

GOCANES

Advertisement
I remember there being a huge thread when there was a pool party picture with Maribal last offseason with his leg in brace and it was downplayed as nothing major, he will be ready for season? I could be misremembering as these terrible seasons just blend into a blur
You are correct!

IDK but it seems to me , from things posted on this board and also said in various podcasts, Zion making it back to the field should be considered a bonus, not a given. Sounds like he's going to try but no one knows what will happen...

I’m just stuck wondering Zions amazing success story from being a projected flop a criticized recruit to a projected high NFL draft choice and now possibly not even able to probably start let alone finishing a single game.

Even now how would any NFL team put millions into drafting Zion when they just offer him a undrafted free agent contract which at best is what he’ll be offered .

I feel so bad for him from elite OT to a injured mess of not even starting a real possibility.

I cheered him on for years as he proved to everyone a miracle transformation was unfolding to a star and now injury issues he’s now labeled with.

I want the best for Zion yo again rise to reclaim his position.

GOCANES
Zion was never elite

Advertisement
Sometimes we have the most overly simplistic, binary, simple-minded posters who like to minimalize complexity and "analyze" things in a child-like fashion.

Yes, Zion got hurt. Yes, the structural damage to his knee was not the worst, and he was expected to heal rapidly. Yes, based on what people were told, it was plausible to expect that Zion would not miss 2022.

But...the impact of his freshman-year rapid weight gain and the less-than-ideal body shape and distribution of weight led to some unforeseen impacts and setbacks during his recovery.

So, yes, we are where we are today. Hopefully, Zion is fully healed and will be able to withstand the pressure of his weight and leverage, as well as the physical collisions with defensive linemen.

But, sure, we should indulge the porsters who want to whine for over a year just because the initial assessments of Zion's time for recovery did not prove out to be accurate...
Okay, to play devils advocate. Shouldn’t the S & C, medical staff, and trainers been aware of the challenges Zion was facing in terms what you said with regard to his quick weight gain, body shape, and distribution of weight? I would argue they should have identified and shaped his Initial recovery and timeline with those variables in mind. As someone who is completely outside the program it seems to me they “rushed” him back when they put him in week 3 or whenever it was for him to get hurt again quickly when you do consider those variables you identified.

Do you think if they truly understood those variables/challenges Zion was facing they would have played him as soon as they did?

It seems like they were reactive and not proactive.

I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong, just things I’ve wondered.

Advertisement
Back