ESPN ranks Miami as a Tier 3 Program

The BOT and our idiot AD have turned this football program into a sick joke. The last four coaching hires have been worthy of a mediocre Div. 2 POS organization. It’s disgraceful when you consider we won a NC in 2001 and are now circling the drain. FSU gets Tier 2 consideration because we know the Noles will be back in a year or two. Not convinced we ever will with these disgustingly cheap and abysmal coaching hires. These bums wouldn’t make it at a James Madison, Appalachian State or Marshall and we know it.

All of this.

There are two words involving this situation that make it even more painful......

SELF INFLICTED

EVERYTHING that has happened to this program has happened from within. An apathetic and incompetent BOT makes an incompetent AD hire....and that incompetent AD makes 3 consecutive incompetent head coaching hires. Since the incompetent AD gets ZERO heat from an apathetic BOT, he only makes mass changes when absolutely forced to, and does so with absolutely NO level competency toward the management of the football program.

Copy and past that last paragraph every time someone asks you for a synopsis of the last 15 years of Canes football. It's all there.

Advertisement
Would much rather us fly under the radar and succeed then to be overhyped and fail again. I will definitely take Tier-3 for now. Most of us know this is potentially a tier-1 program without doubt. Still need a few fixes.

I'd be fine with it if they didn't have FSU has Tier 2 (or Florida at Tier 1 for that matter).

Their justification for Miami's ranking vs the other two in-state seem to be conflicting.

We’ve been down for much longer than FSU. And UF isn’t down right now. It’s not that hard to understand why we’re the lowest ranked of the “Big 3” right now. If we fire Diaz and get a good coach, I’m sure we can move up on future lists.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s been a long ****** ride since 2004 and i won’t believe it’s getting any better until I see it happen consistently. Thank god we’ve beaten FSU these last three years.
We're in far, far better position to be better this year going forward than we have at any point in 2004. The team has adequate funding (unlike Randy Shannon era), has a willingness to adapt (unlike Al Golden), and simply has more talent than any team since at least 2009.

Advertisement
We're in far, far better position to be better this year going forward than we have at any point in 2004. The team has adequate funding (unlike Randy Shannon era), has a willingness to adapt (unlike Al Golden), and simply has more talent than any team since at least 2009.
Meh broken record

Nah it's about present day powers

Actually winning is what it's about and they haven't. They are close obviously but they were close with Richt a couple times and never got over the hump. If Kirby never wins, all the hype, recruiting rankings and bags drop are for what?

Advertisement
Lucky Miami got that. Miami has no one to blame but itself. The athletic dept is a joke. There is no excuse for Miami not having top tier baseball, track and football programs yearly. Lack of emphasis in sports in general by the powers that be has led to lazy hires in football and an overall carefree approach towards every other sport. It's a dam shame really. The school basically parlayed the success of the football team into trying to become a academic powerhouse. Honestly, I wouldn't care or even acknowledge Miami had it not been for the football team in the early 80's and their style of play. Polly how most people outside of south fl. found out Miami even existed.

If you wanna turn Miami into an academic powerhouse fine. Don't sacrifice sports more importantly the football team to accomplish this mission. Fire that bich ***. A.d. and bring a guy in that's will gets results in all sports especially football. The football program is what brought Miami it's notoriety.

But bruh; WE NOT EVEN AN ACADEMIC POWERHOUSE! I mean, we literally have nothing to brag about for almost 20 yrs. And I’m just saying; Duke don’t sacrifice their academics for their b-ball and they don’t sacrifice their b-ball for academics. USC hasn’t sacrificed academics for football & vise versa. With the natural resources in everything; our soccer, baseball, football & track squads should be competing for titles every year or in the discussion....while academics w/ the smaller class rooms & research programs should be cracking top 30-35 every year.

Ive been confused on our identity for a while now.

Alright let me give some perspective for this ranking; we have our gripes w ESPN but let’s take this piece by piece:

I think we can all agree 05 w that it was painfully obvious we were doomed. 04 showed signs, but we still drubbed UF in the Peach Bowl, and got.....well, we all know what happened.

So let’s use 05 as our starting point. Let’s first compare the Big 3 since 05:

Miami: 112 - 79 (including one 10+ win season & one bowl victory, one division title)

FSU: 134 - 64 (including six 10+ win seasons, one title, nine bowl victories, four division titles, three ACC titles)

UF: 138 - 56 (including seven 10+ win seasons, two titles, 10 bowl victories, six division titles, two conference titles)

Clearly over the last 15 yrs, our beloved Canes have not had the type of success as our counter parts.

What’s even more disheartening is when consider schools like FAU who’s had more 10+ games wins (2) and more bowl victories (4) than us during this time frame, yet they’ve only been around since 2004.

UCF has had way more 10+ win seasons than us during this span (7), and bowl victories (4).

While FIU may not have any 10+ wins on their young resume, they still have 2 bowl victories during this same time frame.

But what about the last 5 yrs, b/c that’s most likely where the tier levels came from:

Miami: 40 - 25 (1 bowl victory, 1 division title, one 10+ win season)

FSU: 38 - 26 (2 bowl victories, two 10+ win seasons)

UF: 44 - 20 (3 bowl victories, three 10+ win seasons, two division titles)

FSU is most likely getting the benefit of the doubt b/c of previous history coupled with the last 5 years. But clearly, they’ve been knocked down a peg due to the last 5 years. UF has out performed both Miami & FSU over the last 15 yrs, and is trending up in the last 5 yrs. Miami has been consistently mediocre - pedestrian over this same period.

Furthermore, if you look at the NFL draft picks from the first 3 rounds over the last 15 yrs, we’re not in the same spectrum. (We’re not talking bust, we’re just talking factory production).

It is what it is; but what we have at our disposal that can rock the football world in the blink of an eye is world class talent right at our front porch. We just need to start utilizing that, and hopefully starting this Yr, we’ll take our rightful place at the top, again.

Advertisement
Back