Enjoy Coach Lashlee While We Have Him

Bruce Feldman's support for his conclusion is solely our RZ offense? Lashlee has done a solid job. With three games remaining, I think it falls short of "superb." We were ranked in the 100s in virtually every offensive category last season. Improvement should have been expected from a historically **** offense. The same way Feldman used that single stat to support his view, someone else can show we're 56th in YPP and 48th in 3rd down conversion %. We got a spread system, increased the pace and a recruited a spread QB. Again, solid enough job. But, let's not flip out just yet. Staying another year makes a lot of sense.
Maybe B Lashes has no confidence in his ability and knows this is his peak for at least a couple years at Miami unless he finds another King in the portal next year. He might be desperately putting out feelers knowing the offense likely won't get better next year when his best player by far leaves.

Advertisement
If the expectations were zero, they wouldn't be firing Mason after 6 years with 2 bowl appearances. He did basically what every Vandy coach other than Franklin has done, and they ran him off.

LOL ok, you got me. They're more than a literal zero, which is how many wins they have this season.

You gotta win a couple games. That's about it. You can't go literally winless, which probably gets you fired from any program on the planet.

And James Franklin is probably the only guy in the history of Vandy football to work that parlay magic. The rest have failed. I'd like my odds better here as OC until a non-dead end job opens up.

We really don't have much history here.

In the past 18 years, they've had 3 coaches. The first guy retired unexpectedly and never coached again, they had an interim just for a year, then it's been Franklin and Mason. Not sure how this is a "dead end job". Either way, you can call my job anything you want, as long as you pay me my $3.5M a year.

Franklin is the only guy I can think of that had enough success at Vandy to parlay that to a better job. It’s career suicide.

Advertisement
If you think they hired Mason at 3.5M, you’re the one who’s high. Franklin was making 2.9M at Vandy his last year.

Lashlee would probably get 2M since they won’t give him the 2.5M they gave to Mason. They will probably go the cheap route.

Herman could’ve been making 3M after 1 year at Houston.

I’d take the 3M in an easy conference to win before getting abused for 3.5 at Vandy.
You must not be a competitive dude to accept more money to get bend over every weeks at Vandy.

2018 tax returns show his compensation at $3.5M. He didn't get that when he was hired, but that was almost 10 years ago. Times and salaries have changed. They're not hiring the next guy for $2M.

If he leaves I see Manny elevating Likens and Justice to Co-OC's. Not saying that I like the move, but it seems logical that he brought in assistants with play calling experience knowing Lashlee is not gonna last long here.

A month ago, Lashlee was not that good. And now, this conversation surfaces again, on how he won't be here much longer. Can't wait to hear the remarks this coming Sunday.

Change your title to “Enjoy baseless speculation from sports nobodies you never heard of, and who literally have no connections or inside information, but just are trying to get attention for themselves”

This is the same as some run of the mill porster here starting a thread speculating where Lashlee goes, without having any real information.
If they were good fans of the program, they’d be mindlessly speculating about coaches we don’t want vs. the ones we do want....

Blake Baker likely candidate for........to name Rumph as DC.... he’ll finally take the DC job after turning it down at Miami... late breaking...

Advertisement

2018 tax returns show his compensation at $3.5M. He didn't get that when he was hired, but that was almost 10 years ago. Times and salaries have changed. They're not hiring the next guy for $2M.
Depends what is their mindsets... Houston were ready to pay Herman 3M, then hired Applewhite for 1.5M but gave Holgorsen 4M a year because they want to win.
Mason was hired after back to back 9-4 seasons, they probably had the mindset of throwing big buck to win. I could see them throw 3.5M to turn it around as much as I could see them throw 2M and accept mediocrity.

A lot of factors dictates the salary you can get. Because Mason was getting 2.5M base salary (he probably had big bonus for bowl games), doesn’t mean Lashlee will get that much.

While Lashlee is replaceable, let’s just stop with the “hire any spread OC” nonsense because if that was the case every team would have a great offense. FSU hired a spread guru head coach and his offense flopped in year one. They hired a spread guru named Kendall Briles in year two and they still sucked. It ain’t as easy as just hiring any old guy off the street. Anyone who underestimates what he did here needs to check the offensive numbers not just last year but over the past 17 years. 435 ypg and 33.5 ppg without the benefit of an FCS punching bag to run up stats against is pretty incredible for this program. No, it’s not unstoppable but if you were expecting 45 points per game after watching last year’s train wreck, you live on la la land. Also, there’d be no D’Eriq King at Miami without Rhett Lashlee.

In the past 18 years, they've had 3 coaches. The first guy retired unexpectedly and never coached again, they had an interim just for a year, then it's been Franklin and Mason. Not sure how this is a "dead end job". Either way, you can call my job anything you want, as long as you pay me my $3.5M a year.
I don't think its a dead end, I just think it is a really hard job. You will always be at a talent deficit in a hard division.

Advertisement

Vandy has had more than 3 HCs in its history, and they've all struggled with the exception of Franklin, and Franklin was a beneficiary of several SEC teams being in a downswing when he was there.

If your dream is to be HC, it's not a great idea to take a ****** HC gig like Vandy, as you might only get one shot. If you blow that shot, then you might be relegated to being an assistant the rest of your life.

I know your philosophy is make as much money as you can as quickly as you can, but B Lashes isn't sitting in his car in any food lines. He's making a great living here and can probably twist UM into $2M per year to be OC. It's OK to ride that out until a good job opens up. Stoops turned down a ton of jobs when he was DC at UF. Others have done the same.

I'm not sure why I get so surprised on this board anymore...I've been here plenty long enough to know better. But honestly....are you guys ******* high all the time? I don't understand.

Derek Mason was making more than $3.5M at Vandy. Three point five million dollars per year. Hold out for a better job??? That's in the top third, maybe top quarter of the country. What better job are you holding out for as a 37 year old with no head coaching experience? Alabama? Maybe Ryan Day dies from Covid and you get the Ohio State job? What are you guys smoking?

You don't walk, or trot if Vandy comes calling. You absolutely beeline, SPRINT.

I mean, look at the dude we have RIGHT NOW. Manny Diaz, exactly 1 year ago, was a hotter than **** coordinator with HC aspirations and no experience. He parlayed 4 years of success at Miami into.....Temple. For less than $3M a year. Manny right now at Miami is making about $3.1M a year. But if an SEC school comes calling for $3.5M+ a year, you tell them to pound sand, I'm gonna hang out in Coral Gables and keep chewing on my $900K salary LMAOOOOOOOO.

Y'all really must not have wives and families.
Exactly 1 year ago we were still licking our wounds from FIU and getting ready to sodomized by mighty Duke. If he is offered any HC job, he would probably have to consider the offer before accepting/rejecting it. Just bc they were paying Mason some sum of money doesn't mean that they are willing to pay Lashlee the same or more. Another thing to consider, how much money are you going to have to hire staff? Will you be able to hire the people you really want, or will you have to settle for someone like Patrick Nix? None of us really know what the decision makers at Vandy are intending to do with their football program. If they are willing to dump a bunch of money into it, it may not be as dead end of a job as you think. All that being said, if he is offered 3.5 mil/yr anywhere to be the head ball coach, that would be difficult to turn down, especially having 4 kids.

While Lashlee is replaceable, let’s just stop with the “hire any spread OC” nonsense because if that was the case every team would have a great offense. FSU hired a spread guru head coach and his offense flopped in year one. They hired a spread guru named Kendall Briles in year two and they still sucked. It ain’t as easy as just hiring any old guy off the street. Anyone who underestimates what he did here needs to check the offensive numbers not just last year but over the past 17 years. 435 ypg and 33.5 ppg without the benefit of an FCS punching bag to run up stats against is pretty incredible for this program. No, it’s not unstoppable but if you were expecting 45 points per game after watching last year’s train wreck, you live on la la land. Also, there’d be no D’Eriq King at Miami without Rhett Lashlee.

It wasn't Briles. It was FSU. Briles has Arkansas in the top 50 in the country in offense and they were around 100th both of the last 2 years. That dude can coach some offense.

You're not wrong, though. It's really, really hard to take a complete tire fire and make it a top unit in the country in one year. The improvement we've seen here with our program is probably close to as good as you can realistically expect. I think we can still be better on offense, but you don't take what we had last year, lose an NFL back, an NFL receiver, add Lashlee and King and it goes from 110th to 10th. Just doesn't happen like that. We were SO BAD last year, and it wasn't all Enos.

Advertisement
Vandy has had more than 3 HCs in its history, and they've all struggled with the exception of Franklin, and Franklin was a beneficiary of several SEC teams being in a downswing when he was there.

If your dream is to be HC, it's not a great idea to take a ****** HC gig like Vandy, as you might only get one shot. If you blow that shot, then you might be relegated to being an assistant the rest of your life.

I know your philosophy is make as much money as you can as quickly as you can, but B Lashes isn't sitting in his car in any food lines. He's making a great living here and can probably twist UM into $2M per year to be OC. It's OK to ride that out until a good job opens up. Stoops turned down a ton of jobs when he was DC at UF. Others have done the same.

IMO he can't squeeze anywhere near $2M out of UM to stay here. But if you're right, that certainly changes things. And I'm not saying any coordinator will take any HC job. There's obviously other factors. Venables, Stoops...those guys are and were making absolute top dollar to do what they do. I just don't see how you pass up a $2M a year raise to be a head coach in the SEC.

Walt Bell will be an interesting case study for our discussion in a few years. Very similar career arc to Lashlee, jumped at the first HC job he saw and his program is an abomination through a year and a half. I don't think that railroads his career in any way going forward, but we'll see. I think age has a lot to do with it. If you're 57 and blow your shot, I tend to think more how you are. At 37, going to Vandy and having 3-4 bad seasons and getting fired doesn't mean you're going to be an OC at ****** schools the rest of your career. We'll see.

It wasn't Briles. It was FSU. Briles has Arkansas in the top 50 in the country in offense and they were around 100th both of the last 2 years. That dude can coach some offense.

You're not wrong, though. It's really, really hard to take a complete tire fire and make it a top unit in the country in one year. The improvement we've seen here with our program is probably close to as good as you can realistically expect. I think we can still be better on offense, but you don't take what we had last year, lose an NFL back, an NFL receiver, add Lashlee and King and it goes from 110th to 10th. Just doesn't happen like that. We were SO BAD last year, and it wasn't all Enos.
You guys have been underselling our offensive talent for years based on the ****** results that ****** coaches like Rick and Penos achieved here. The only thing that was a tire fire here was the offensive coaching.

Any smart OC would look at our roster and say, "****, I can be a hero there if I get them to just achieve at a mediocre level. That's a dream job." It's kind of like what Diaz did with the D, and it's what I've been claiming any good OC could do here. Before we hired B Lashes, I said that if he's good, then he'll turn the offense around just as quickly as Diaz did the D when he took over from Doritos. He could come in immediately and transform us from garbage to decent. If he's really good, he could make us a top 10 offense in a couple years.

There's just too much **** talent down here compared to the teams we play against in the ACC to be anything less than a top 15 offense every year.

IMO he can't squeeze anywhere near $2M out of UM to stay here. But if you're right, that certainly changes things. And I'm not saying any coordinator will take any HC job. There's obviously other factors. Venables, Stoops...those guys are and were making absolute top dollar to do what they do. I just don't see how you pass up a $2M a year raise to be a head coach in the SEC.

Walt Bell will be an interesting case study for our discussion in a few years. Very similar career arc to Lashlee, jumped at the first HC job he saw and his program is an abomination through a year and a half. I don't think that railroads his career in any way going forward, but we'll see. I think age has a lot to do with it. If you're 57 and blow your shot, I tend to think more how you are. At 37, going to Vandy and having 3-4 bad seasons and getting fired doesn't mean you're going to be an OC at ****** schools the rest of your career. We'll see.
They paid Penos $1.5M. If B Lashes sticks around, he can get more than what they paid that failure. I'm not sure what UM you guys follow, but we've actually overpaid and over-extended some bad coaches here. And we never lose coaches strictly because of pay. We've lost a few to promotions, but we keep them when it comes to pay.

If he leaves I see Manny elevating Likens and Justice to Co-OC's. Not saying that I like the move, but it seems logical that he brought in assistants with play calling experience knowing Lashlee is not gonna last long here.
That would be suicidal....Lol at elevating those two....

Advertisement
Back