Enjoy Coach Lashlee While We Have Him

So you think Vandy would offer Lashlee over Coastal Carolina's Jamey Chadwell, Buffalo's Lance Leipold, what about Notre Dame's Defensive Coord who went to Vandy? Also, there is Tulsa's Philip Montgomery who's nearing the end of his contract.
Better opportunities will present itself for those coaches. Vandy isn't the most ideal landing spot for most of those coaches so it isn't a matter who deserves that position most but who's a quality candidate that will actually take the position.

Advertisement
Win 5-6 games at Vanderbilt will get you a bigger job.
But our offense hasn't been that great for him to get much hype.

"If you click on who Bruce Feldman actually is you would know its just an internet nobody wanting clicks!"

You mean the guy that told us Cristoballs was coming to Miami. He’s just speculating too. He has no inside info either. He does have a rep. Outside chance Lashlle’s agent contacted him on the downlow to try to get more $ out of Miami.

Any HC job that he gets offered after this year likely won't be worth taking. He should string together a couple great years here and leverage that for a better HC job.

Advertisement
People were saying this about Manny. Now, yes, eventually he got a HC gig at a MAC school. However, in year 1 at Miami? No. At a Power 5 program? **** no.

Vandy is going to get a coach with more Power 5 assistant or HC experience than Lashlee.

We should retain Lashlee if possible, but we could also find another coach with the same philosophy if need be.
You do know Lashlee was the OC during Auburn's national championship game against FSU? He's coached in the SEC and ACC. Had success coaching at SMU too. He's proven as an assistant bro.

He might get courted by other tramas. With all Due respect to Lashlee. OC’s like him are not hard to get, biggest obstacle was finally accepting to run a 21st century offense.
I mostly agree with this statement. The last part of this statement is the most important part - we needed to join the rest of CFB with our offensive approach, Manny saw this need and filled it with Lashlee.

Lashlee is our best OC since Fisch (who was with us briefly and never gets the credit for what he did as our OC), and he not only knows his X's and O's, but is also a real leader with spirit and fire. We needed that. The kids love him.

I think Lashlee is one of the better OC's in the country and replacing him won't be easy, but it also won't be impossible. Lashlee's made a lot of not great moves as well and is getting better, but still isn't fully utilizing the talent we have instead of the talent he often is calling plays for.

Again, the biggest thing schematically, was moving to a modern system, but that wasn't Lashlee's call, that was Manny's and that philosophy will continue under Diaz regardless of whether or not Lashlee holds out for a better gig in a year or two.

Final thought - I think Lashlee would serve himself better by cooling his jets, and stay for 1-2 more seasons. If he does that and we achieve 10+ wins in each of those seasons, he will get a primo HC position. If he moves now, he will be sacrificing all of that.

At the end of the day it's a $3 million a year job in a great city in the premier conference in football. There is no down side.

Failure is expected. Get paid, gamble you can make them decent, then move on. If not, get canned and go back to being an OC.

Advertisement
Bruce Feldman weighs in:

Miami’s Rhett Lashlee is the one college offensive coordinator who figures to get the most attention here for this one. The 37-year-old has done a superb job at Miami, turning around what was a dud of an offense. Miami has gone from No. 13 in the ACC in Red Zone offense to No. 2. Lashlee knows the SEC well. He played QB at Arkansas and spent a bunch of time on the Auburn staff.
Bruce Feldman's support for his conclusion is solely our RZ offense? Lashlee has done a solid job. With three games remaining, I think it falls short of "superb." We were ranked in the 100s in virtually every offensive category last season. Improvement should have been expected from a historically **** offense. The same way Feldman used that single stat to support his view, someone else can show we're 56th in YPP and 48th in 3rd down conversion %. We got a spread system, increased the pace and a recruited a spread QB. Again, solid enough job. But, let's not flip out just yet. Staying another year makes a lot of sense.

Bruce Feldman's support for his conclusion is solely our RZ offense? Lashlee has done a solid job. With three games remaining, I think it falls short of "superb." We were ranked in the 100s in virtually every offensive category last season. The same way he used that single stat to support his view, someone else can show we're 56th in YPP, 48th in 3rd down conversion %. We got a spread system, increased the pace and a recruited a spread QB. Again, solid enough job. But, let's not flip out just yet. Staying another year makes a lot of sense.

It's been superb brother.

People forget we had no spring and very limited fall practice time. Yet look at what he's done with an all new offensive staff, a new QB, the worst OL in the ACC, inconsistent and unmotivated ACC receivers, two true freshman running backs and an injured all conference TE.

We were perhaps the worst offense in the entire P5 last year. Now with a healthy o-line, would u be surprised if we dropped 30-40 on every remaining opponent?

Last edited:
Vandy should look at Will Healy and a host of other guys before even thinking about Lashlee. I wouldn’t fault them for going with a triple option guy. They will never be able to compare talent wise so they need a scheme to win. Monkey would be the guy for that.

I think we have more to be worried about when Hugh leaves Liberty than with Vandy or USCe.

I usually don’t play the coach speculation game, but I watched Kent state play this weekend and they ran a fast paced, spread offense that reminded me of Lashlee. OC is Andrew Sowder. Young guy.

I don’t want to lose him, but he is replaceable. The hard part was making the move to spread, which manny already did. There’s dudes out there that can call the plays.

Advertisement
Good chance he won't be with us much longer.

Expect his name to pop up more and more as more coaching vacancies come about. I think the one place to keep a good eye on is Liberty, especially if coach Freeze does get another chance in the SEC.
Why? Why are you doing this so early on a Monday lol Let us enjoy the fact we have football again!

I usually don’t play the coach speculation game, but I watched Kent state play this weekend and they ran a fast paced, spread offense that reminded me of Lashlee. OC is Andrew Sowder. Young guy.

I don’t want to lose him, but he is replaceable. The hard part was making the move to spread, which manny already did. There’s dudes out there that can call the plays.

Exactly. Lashlee already did the hard part implementing the system and he’s far from the best play caller out there. We’d be fine.

Advertisement
People should worry MUCH more if Manny will ever find a competent DC with autonomy. Versus how are we ever gonna find another spread OC who can put up some points with D'eriq King at QB. Especially since Rob Likens is already in the building

It's been superb brother.

People forget we had no spring and very limited fall practice time. Yet look at what he's done with an all new offensive staff, a new QB, the worst OL in the ACC, inconsistent and unmotivated ACC receivers, two true freshman running backs and an injured all conference TE.
I note the lack of spring and limited fall practices. I give the dude a ton of credit for overall improvement. I hope he stays another year and really shows his stuff. Perhaps it's semantics, but I consider "superb" a really high (maybe the highest) bar.

Advertisement
Back