Encouraging OL stat

Advertisement
Let’s keep it a buck; this stark improvement jargon of The OL is bull chit. Lol.

Here’s the facts:
In 2019
We faced 6 teams that ranked top 50 in Total Def

We faced 6 teams that ranked top 50 in TFLs

We faced 7 teams that ranked top 50 in sacks

As a team, we ranked 109th in TFL allowed, 127th sacks allowed

In 2020

We faced 5 teams ranked top 50 in total Def

We faced 8 teams ranked top 50 in TFL

We faced 8 teams ranked top 50 in sacks

As a team, we ranked 117th TFL allowed, 98th in sacks allowed.

We went from giving up **** near 4 sacks/game last yr to giving up **** near 3 sacks/game this yr, so yes that was an improvement, BUT we got stuck in neutral b/c we allowed opposing teams in our back field too often.

To add further context, this was supposed to be an uptempo offense that protects the QB by getting the ball out quickly. So the fact we are still in the bottom 3rd is a cause for concern.

Here’s the difference in sacks allowed; KING. I admonish you to go back & re-watch our games & u’ll see how King made chicken salad out of Chicken chit. Imma call him Chef D.

The most positive I’ve seen from the OL was the vast improvement in the running game. No, it wasn’t top flight, but to go from 127th to top 65 was great to see.

At the end of the day, the OL is still a huge ?Mark as we r returning the same production from 2019-2020. Love the optimism, but I deal in reality.
QFT!

Bro; I don’t be trying to be a Debbie Downer or no chit, but I’ve watched way, WAYYYYY too many Canes as a 30+ yr fan. I know when improvement has been made. This OL was still trash last yr. I promise if anyone not named King was behind that OL, that sack rank would’ve went down. The only positive was our rushing ypc went up significantly. Would’ve been even better had we not got smoked behind the LOS so often.

Advertisement
Bro; I don’t be trying to be a Debbie Downer or no chit, but I’ve watched way, WAYYYYY too many Canes as a 30+ yr fan. I know when improvement has been made. This OL was still trash last yr. I promise if anyone not named King was behind that OL, that sack rank would’ve went down. The only positive was our rushing ypc went up significantly. Would’ve been even better had we not got smoked behind the LOS so often.

Donaldson alone should help a lot. Rivers “could” be a big upgrade. Plus another year with Justice and King. We won’t be chicken ****. But I agree I would be really surprised if we are top quartile ACC and shocked if we are Top 10-20 nationally. Too many planets need to align for that to happen.

Donaldson alone should help a lot. Rivers “could” be a big upgrade. Plus another year with Justice and King. We won’t be chicken ****. But I agree I would be really surprised if we are top quartile ACC and shocked if we are Top 10-20 nationally. Too many planets need to align for that to happen.

I hear U on Donaldson, but maybe it’s an out of sight of mind kinda situation, but ppl must forget that everyone was calling for his head in 2019. He was part of that atrocious line in 2019. But now he’s a savior? Lol. I’m not a revisionist; so unless he’s in phenomenal shape, my last glimpse of Donaldson over the last two full seasons have been massive disappointment.

Redshirt him unless he outright wins a starting job, which I'm skeptical of because I think the staff will play favorites/vets. Remember, he could still play in 4 games while retaining his eligibility.
No. We already shirted the kid and expect him to be in the rotation. He isn't sticking around for 6 years, get some production out of him and get the kid some reps.

Let’s keep it a buck; this stark improvement jargon of The OL is bull chit. Lol.

Here’s the facts:
In 2019

In 2020

We went from giving up **** near 4 sacks/game last yr to giving up **** near 3 sacks/game this yr, so yes that was an improvement, BUT we got stuck in neutral b/c we allowed opposing teams in our back field too often.

To add further context, this was supposed to be an uptempo offense that protects the QB by getting the ball out quickly. So the fact we are still in the bottom 3rd is a cause for concern.

Here’s the difference in sacks allowed; KING. I admonish you to go back & re-watch our games & u’ll see how King made chicken salad out of Chicken chit. Imma call him Chef D.

The most positive I’ve seen from the OL was the vast improvement in the running game. No, it wasn’t top flight, but to go from 127th to top 65 was great to see.

At the end of the day, the OL is still a huge ?Mark as we r returning the same production from 2019-2020. Love the optimism, but I deal in reality.
Are those numbers for 2020 total sacks and TFLs allowed? Or are they on a per game basis? Only asking because not everyone played the same amount of games. PAC 12 and Big 10 only played like 8 games I think.

Advertisement

Here’s the facts:
In 2019

In 2020

Small sample size but Perry threw 34 balls against Ok State and was sacked once. Ball was coming out nicely. Had 6 and 8 not ***** the bed he finishes well over 300 yards passing. He may be mobile and a great leader, but there were a lot of times King held onto the ball way too long.

Small sample size but Perry threw 34 balls against Ok State and was sacked once. Ball was coming out nicely. Had 6 and 8 not ***** the bed he finishes well over 300 yards passing. He may be mobile and a great leader, but there were a lot of times King held onto the ball way too long.
It’s a give and take with runners like King. People think guys who can run get sacked less but that’s not really the case. For every sack they might avoid, they take an unnecessary one because they don’t get rid of the ball. The scrambling ability can make some big plays so you live with the fact that he may take more sacks than average.

Here’s the facts:
In 2019

In 2020

Sorry buddy but these stats have a lot of holes in them. Some of these other teams played half a season and didn’t face the kind of pass rush a Clemson or Pitt put up.

Also you’re not factoring the number of plays we ran in 20 compared to 19.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If Rivers is so good then why come he couldn't crack an abysmal interior OL rotation in 2020?
Likely the same reason 6 & 8 kept getting playing time over the younger receivers, they weren't ready or some other coach speak babble. We really don't know how good Rivers is but what is known is he's an athlete with a greater ceiling that provides more mass & strength vs Clark.

I’m always confused about these things- are we talking about beating “GA Tech good enough” or beating “Clemson good enough?”

Sorry buddy but these stats have a lot of holes in them. Some of these other teams played half a season and didn’t face the kind of pass rush a Clemson or Pitt put up.

Also you’re not factoring the number of plays we ran in 20 compared to 19.
If you use sacks per game, Miami played against 3 teams in the top ten (Pitt 2nd, Clemson 5th, VT 9th) The schedule also included Virginia t-11th, UNC and Oklahoma St both tied for 16th, Duke 26th, and NCST 35th. 8 of our 11 opponents finished in the top 35 in sacks per game. 7 of them were in the top 26. They only played one team in the bottom 1/3 of the nation in sacks per game (FSU). Miami allowed 2.73 sacks per game which tied for 98th. Given the number of top pass rushing teams they played, the sacks surrendered number is slightly skewed. They weren’t great but they weren’t horrible either.

Side note: just ahead of Miami in sacks allowed was Ohio State who surrendered 2.62 sacks per game.

Advertisement
Back