Encouraging OL stat

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Big year for Justice

If the OL doesn’t look good this year with all the talent and experience, there will be a question mark in my mind for him
Without question. I expect our OL to be a very pleasant surprise. In the event that the OL does not play particularly well or we do not see significant improvement from last year then Justice needs start packing.

For right now however, I do not expect for that to be the case. I also think that it is in the realm of possibility for the OL to have one of those galvanizing, transformative quantum leap type of mass improvements from what we saw last year to the 2021 season. All of the key elements are in place for that type of improvement to occur.

This entire team is improving. We have more depth, talent and experience at nearly every position. However IMO it is the Offensive Line that holds the key in terms of how far this squad can go this year.

Advertisement

Usually having a ton of starts returning on oline is a recipe for huge success but our olines have underachieved for multiple years, if below avg players return who were upperclassmen and still performed poorly does experience matter if its poor experience? Guys like Scaife and Gaynor make it difficult to get excited.. Hopefully Donaldson can take a positive leap (has he lost weight?), LT should be solid, who will be the last spot?

Gaynor's lack of strength worries me though. I wish we had a bully at center. It would really open up our inside run game makes us a more potent RPO team.
This is my only concern and it could end up being the difference between a good line and a dominant one.

I had hoped that someone would seriously challenge Gaynor this spring but that didn't happen. Now I'm counting on Gaynor successfully addressing these issues by the time the season starts. I don't expect him to be Brett Romberg. He just needs to improve enough to where he isn't getting pushed into the backfield against quality competition.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back