Encouraging OL stat

Advertisement
Gaynor's lack of strength worries me though. I wish we had a bully at center. It would really open up our inside run game makes us a more potent RPO team.
He needs some

16801-20180305_ec804578-d903-4566-ab3e-c1e224d562a2_2048x.jpg

Go Canes

Starts as an ol unit is one of the most important stats with a team you can find.
I have been tracking the impact of returning starters the past couple of years to see if it gives you an edge on Vegas and it does give you a huge advantage game one ,a good advantage two and just a slight advantage game 3. After that, the edge tapers off to virtually nothing.

This advantage is strictly for betting purposes. In other words if a team is returning way more starters than their opponent game one then take that team vs the spread because they will most likely cover but not necessarily win.

Advertisement
Usually having a ton of starts returning on oline is a recipe for huge success but our olines have underachieved for multiple years, if below avg players return who were upperclassmen and still performed poorly does experience matter if its poor experience? Guys like Scaife and Gaynor make it difficult to get excited.. Hopefully Donaldson can take a positive leap (has he lost weight?), LT should be solid, who will be the last spot?
I am with you regarding Gaynor, but Scaife at RT is an upgrade. Scaife was this team's best offensive lineman as a true freshman and sophomore when he was playing RT.

I am with you regarding Gaynor, but Scaife at RT is an upgrade. Scaife was this team's best offensive lineman as a true freshman and sophomore when he was playing RT.
He wasn’t the best as a freshmen and as a sophmore he was by default. He was average at best but everybody else was so bad.

Advertisement
Redshirt him unless he outright wins a starting job, which I'm skeptical of because I think the staff will play favorites/vets. Remember, he could still play in 4 games while retaining his eligibility.
Clark is hurt, Rivers has a clear advantage at this point to start vs Bama at LG.

I was with you right up to the point you said Isaiah walker is a disappointment. The kid is a rFr. Let him grow naturally. That was our problem before, throwing players who weren't ready into the fire prematurely. Lineman need to be slow cooked if you want a quality product on the field.
That's why I phrased it "up to this point". Given the dearth of talent at OL, we expected him to push for starting time of major play. Then their is the issue of lack weight/muscle gain.

Let’s keep it a buck; this stark improvement jargon of The OL is bull chit. Lol.

Here’s the facts:
In 2019
We faced 6 teams that ranked top 50 in Total Def

We faced 6 teams that ranked top 50 in TFLs

We faced 7 teams that ranked top 50 in sacks

As a team, we ranked 109th in TFL allowed, 127th sacks allowed

In 2020

We faced 5 teams ranked top 50 in total Def

We faced 8 teams ranked top 50 in TFL

We faced 8 teams ranked top 50 in sacks

As a team, we ranked 117th TFL allowed, 98th in sacks allowed.

We went from giving up **** near 4 sacks/game last yr to giving up **** near 3 sacks/game this yr, so yes that was an improvement, BUT we got stuck in neutral b/c we allowed opposing teams in our back field too often.

To add further context, this was supposed to be an uptempo offense that protects the QB by getting the ball out quickly. So the fact we are still in the bottom 3rd is a cause for concern.

Here’s the difference in sacks allowed; KING. I admonish you to go back & re-watch our games & u’ll see how King made chicken salad out of Chicken chit. Imma call him Chef D.

The most positive I’ve seen from the OL was the vast improvement in the running game. No, it wasn’t top flight, but to go from 127th to top 65 was great to see.

At the end of the day, the OL is still a huge ?Mark as we r returning the same production from 2019-2020. Love the optimism, but I deal in reality.

Advertisement
Let's keep it real. The experience is excellent. But our OL is one giant question mark:

* Donaldson has shown he can be a high level talent when healthy and not too overweight. If he dedicates himself to S&C, he'll be a force.
* Scaife has shown he can be a serviceable tackle but doesn't have much upside there due to body type. Meanwhile, so far he is a poor guard despite his higher ceiling inside. Can't expect better than mid-ACC. Would be great if proven wrong.
* Campbell may transfer. He's the opposite of Scaife. Decent play at guard but limited upside, poor (terrible) play at tackle so far, despite that being his ideal position.* Rivers is all potential. I love, love, love the guy's future. But is that future 2021?
* Williams is a quality pass protector who is too weak to generate a push against good competition in the run game. Some people can spend their entire lives in a gym and never build up enough strength. Is he that guy, or does he take the step with Feeley's help?
* Gaynor and Clarke are high floor, low ceiling

Odds are we're going to be much better than last year. But still not good enough to stop Bama's or Clemson's pass rush. We may struggle with a few other teams in the ACC, who always seem to have more talent than expected along the DL. The Coastal lacks playmakers at the skill positions. But it's pretty stout among the big uglies.

I don’t think it’s a useless stat. It’s important, just not the whole story. Talent matters, too. But for any given level of talent, experience sure adds a lot.
Maybe a better way to put it is that it will become an embarrassing stat if the O Line turns in an underwhelming performance in spite of having all that experience.

Advertisement
The rt we had last year was solid in pass pro, I dont think he was strongest in run game but Scaife isnt a road grader either.. Scaife was bad from game 1 til end.. But whatever, let em battle it out and see what happens

Wasn't Gaynor pretty strong coming out of HS? I may not be remembering everything accurately but I could swear he had some solid reported lifts when he was being recruited at Douglas. Maybe it's just his frame, but he does get pushed around and having a weak center can absolutely tank the rest of the line's potential. Hopefully he's built some more strength this offseason.
I recall that as well and he supposedly also had / has a nasty streak.

So, I guess, the pups are finally all grown up now? Let’s see how much they improve this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back