Encouraging OL stat

Likely the same reason 6 & 8 kept getting playing time over the younger receivers, they weren't ready or some other coach speak babble. We really don't know how good Rivers is but what is known is he's an athlete with a greater ceiling that provides more mass & strength vs Clark.
I think the Clark injury shakes things up, and not in a great way.

LT Nelson / Campbell
LG Donaldson / Traore / Clark
C Gaynor / Reed / Griffith
RG Scaife / Hillery
RT Williams / Herbert

I just think that we've got a great opportunity to stash the younglings while depending on seasoned veterans - and then we unleash the freshmans all over everyone's *** in 2022. Let's take advantage of years of experience and maturity and empower the vets while the young guys develop.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you use sacks per game, Miami played against 3 teams in the top ten (Pitt 2nd, Clemson 5th, VT 9th) The schedule also included Virginia t-11th, UNC and Oklahoma St both tied for 16th, Duke 26th, and NCST 35th. 8 of our 11 opponents finished in the top 35 in sacks per game. 7 of them were in the top 26. They only played one team in the bottom 1/3 of the nation in sacks per game (FSU). Miami allowed 2.73 sacks per game which tied for 98th. Given the number of top pass rushing teams they played, the sacks surrendered number is slightly skewed. They weren’t great but they weren’t horrible either.

Side note: just ahead of Miami in sacks allowed was Ohio State who surrendered 2.62 sacks per game.

Excellent breakdown and far more tell me and I just random numbers.

LT Nelson / Campbell
RG Scaife / Hillery
RT Williams / Herbert

I just think that we've got a great opportunity to stash the younglings while depending on seasoned veterans - and then we unleash the freshmans all over everyone's *** in 2022. Let's take advantage of years of experience and maturity and empower the vets while the young guys develop.
Where is Rivers? He will start at LG if Clark is out.

Advertisement
You’re in the company of the majority here. Most people voted 11-1 in my poll, one way or the other. I can survive at 10-2 but I agree that 11-1 should be the expectation.
Fans are traumatized from the last 15 years of misery. This team is mostly loaded, overall. Can Díaz fix this Defense? Can he fix the “culture?” Can he win the big game? It’s year 3 as a head coach and 4th as a DC. The time is now.

Fans are traumatized from the last 15 years of misery. This team is mostly loaded, overall. Can Díaz fix this Defense? Can he fix the “culture?” Can he win the big game? It’s year 3 as a head coach and 4th as a DC. The time is now.

Whatever “culture” it is that Diaz needs to fix is the same “culture” he has contributed to.

LT Nelson / Campbell
RG Scaife / Hillery
RT Williams / Herbert

I see where you're coming from but we simply haven't recruited well enough to stash all the youngsters. Scaife is an abomination at RG and under no circumstances should Herbert or Hillary see the field here.

Advertisement
No arguments here. He has recruited nearly all the kids on the team. Let’s see if he changes his ways and it reflects on the field.

You will get a great idea during the Bama game. I fully expect a bulldozing, but I want to see his demeanor during the game, to include the team overall.

You will get a great idea during the Bama game. I fully expect a bulldozing, but I want to see his demeanor during the game, to include the team overall.
If Bama blows us out with this team then we are ****ed. Bama, although talented, is losing a lot while we are returning a lot. No reason why we can’t compete with them, let alone, upset them.

I hear U on Donaldson, but maybe it’s an out of sight of mind kinda situation, but ppl must forget that everyone was calling for his head in 2019. He was part of that atrocious line in 2019. But now he’s a savior? Lol. I’m not a revisionist; so unless he’s in phenomenal shape, my last glimpse of Donaldson over the last two full seasons have been massive disappointment.

Donaldson was FaF in 2019. He is still carrying too much weight. But he looks totally different now, more like a tank than a tub. As long as he keeps to that fish and salad diet, I am 100% that he'll be NFL bound.

Did you read this article from 247?

Advertisement
Not in this scenario he won't.

Rivers is my dark horse candidate for the season. I think he blows up in a good way. I want to see him come in the second half of Bama and never look back.

Likely the same reason 6 & 8 kept getting playing time over the younger receivers, they weren't ready or some other coach speak babble. We really don't know how good Rivers is but what is known is he's an athlete with a greater ceiling that provides more mass & strength vs Clark.

add to that Clark was in a car accident and may not even be ready for the start of the season.

Advertisement

LT Nelson / Campbell
RG Scaife / Hillery
RT Williams / Herbert

Dude, Scaife was the worst player we had at G last season, there is a reason he was moved back to tackle.

Dude, Scaife was the worst player we had at G last season, there is a reason he was moved back to tackle.
Yeah that's true but the prospect of a zillion combined starts will prove too enticing for Justice, and he'll leave Rivers out of the starting 5 to begin the season. Mark it down. Spring was about experimenting and trying different players at different positions, but Rivers will need to really show out to steal a job from someone like a three-year starter like Scaife, or a 7th year senior like J. Williams.

Last edited:
If Bama blows us out with this team then we are ****ed. Bama, although talented, is losing a lot while we are returning a lot. No reason why we can’t compete with them, let alone, upset them.

Miami is going to get crushed at the LOS. Everything else falls from there.

This stat reminds me a bit of a quote from a million yers ago when I lived on the west coast. The Oregon hoops coach **** Harter ( I know it sounds fake, but isn't) fielded a pre season question from the Pac 8 (at the time) sports reporters on how excited he was to have all his starters returning. He said normally you would be but wanted to remind everyone those guys were like 4-24.

Until I see a canes o line dominate at least the mid tier acc teams I'm not declaring we are where we want to be.

Advertisement
Back