Edit: Cristobal or Kiffin HC / OC - Ed Reed DC, best possible outcome

Advertisement
Playing is much different from coaching dawg
You responded....

TO A COACH!!!!!

tenor (91).gif

Advertisement
Your last sentence is why it is tougher to coach basketball than football. It is much more complex than football. A db can get by not knowing fronts and alignments and LB play. Basketball is position-less these days and everyone has to know everything. There’s no position coaches that coach only a certain thing. You have to know everything. There’s no PG coach or C coach, you have to be able to coach the bigs as well as the small guys. Play calling is more complex in basketball. Plays are drawn out during timeouts at times. There’s no defensive coordinator or offensive coordinator all responsibilities fall to the Head coach and two assistants not 11 coaches and a bunch of analysts. A lot more moving parts and all goes down within 24 seconds. I have played both at a very high level and played in the pros is football. I have coached both after my playing days. Some of y’all never played ANY sports smh. And I never said Reed can or can’t run a defense just saying NBA players make the transition quite often NFL players do not.I didn’t even say I think he should be a position coach, I’m just talking in general. Most football coaches nowadays never even played the fakking sport or if they did they never got far in it and we’re just walk-ones. The best players don’t make the best coaches but the guys that get coaching opportunities in football are just guys that we’re scrubs
Bruh... like you, I've played and coached both, and I can say without a doubt, football is much harder to coach. Football has way more positions on the field of play at one time, 22 v 10, therefore it has WAYYYY more moving parts. On a typical football play, you have at least 4 groups of guys (OL, QB, RBs, and TE/WRs) with VERY different skill sets all doing VERY different jobs... and **** I'm ONLY talking about the offense. This is why you need all those coaches... because all of the groups that are all doing different things within a single play, to come to a singular goal. All 11 have to be on the same page on every play. Man, I ain't even mentioned the 11 on Defense or special teams. In basketball, you do have assistant coaches and they coach different things. I remember Tex Winter was a great assistant, and was the de facto "offensive coordinator" of the Bulls and Lakers under Phil Jackson. Some still coach the Bigs and/or the guards. Nowadays in basketball, all 5 guys are **** near all doing the same things..... because it's moved to a positionless game. Shiddd, nobody even tries to get offensive rebounds anymore, they just shoot and haul *** back down the floor.
If your position is that basketball is a much faster game to coach than football, and the coaches have to think faster, and come up with plays faster, than a football coach, then you would have NO argument here. ****, even if you said that overall, basketball players are better athletes than football players.... I would totally agree. Most basketball players, could probably play a position somewhere on a football field, and do it at a relatively high level, but most football players couldn't crossover and play at that level. Basketball players (IMHO) are the best athletes on earth. But saying basketball is a tougher to coach, when football has a helluva lot more moving parts is ..... wow....
Golden State Warriors No GIF by NBA

I think it's crazy how some dudes on CIS go out of their way to minimize Ed Reeds football acumen and his complete understanding of the game. You can't limit that mans capability because you don't know what the fck he's capable of. How could you? Just keep changing the narrative I guess. Smh

Advertisement
"He's the best free safety that has ever played." -Bill Belichick on Ed Reed

This also doesn't mean you offer him to be a DC. Let him become a DB coach and move his way up

I think Ed should be the president of UM, the AD, the head coach and the Safeties coach.

In that order to, bro..

Advertisement
I think it's crazy how some dudes on CIS go out of their way to minimize Ed Reeds football acumen and his complete understanding of the game. You can't limit that mans capability because you don't know what the fck he's capable of. How could you? Just keep changing the narrative I guess. Smh
These guys said for many years in his playing days "he's like having a DC on the field" then poopoo'd the thought of him calling the D here.

No. Frenk has said that he’s essentially done with amateur hour here and is going to dump 20-30 million into the program annually. If Ed Reed ever coaches a down here then Frenk’s word is dog****.

Frenk should show himself to the door.

Advertisement
Yeah bro. I ain't never heard some **** like that in my life.

I've literally coached basketball players that made the transition to football and one of the first things they notice is how complex the game is and how fast everything is moving.
The amount of variables and aspects to the game isn't even fvckin' close.
I agree basketball is more complex and more difficult. Smaller area and less things you can do. I've coached intramurals in the military. I've coached flag football, basketball, and softball. Basketball is by far the most complex and difficult thing to teach/coach. I've coached all military softball and my flag teams made nationals and still basketball was always the toughest.

Bruh... like you, I've played and coached both, and I can say without a doubt, football is much harder to coach. Football has way more positions on the field of play at one time, 22 v 10, therefore it has WAYYYY more moving parts. On a typical football play, you have at least 4 groups of guys (OL, QB, RBs, and TE/WRs) with VERY different skill sets all doing VERY different jobs... and **** I'm ONLY talking about the offense. This is why you need all those coaches... because all of the groups that are all doing different things within a single play, to come to a singular goal. All 11 have to be on the same page on every play. Man, I ain't even mentioned the 11 on Defense or special teams. In basketball, you do have assistant coaches and they coach different things. I remember Tex Winter was a great assistant, and was the de facto "offensive coordinator" of the Bulls and Lakers under Phil Jackson. Some still coach the Bigs and/or the guards. Nowadays in basketball, all 5 guys are **** near all doing the same things..... because it's moved to a positionless game. Shiddd, nobody even tries to get offensive rebounds anymore, they just shoot and haul *** back down the floor.
If your position is that basketball is a much faster game to coach than football, and the coaches have to think faster, and come up with plays faster, than a football coach, then you would have NO argument here. ****, even if you said that overall, basketball players are better athletes than football players.... I would totally agree. Most basketball players, could probably play a position somewhere on a football field, and do it at a relatively high level, but most football players couldn't crossover and play at that level. Basketball players (IMHO) are the best athletes on earth. But saying basketball is a tougher to coach, when football has a helluva lot more moving parts is ..... wow....
Golden State Warriors No GIF by NBA
I get that there are more guys on the field but that doesn’t make it harder to coach because you have different coaches watching different things. Even though more guys are on the field they’re in the same usual formations and some do the same exact thing no matter the play. Speaking of plays, in football you call a play and you have to just watch it happen. In basketball there’s constant moving parts. You may call 3 plays during one single shot clock. You are constantly at work in basketball as a coach. You probably draw up 5 new plays per game lol. You are closer to the action and can direct players DURING PLAYS. You be drenched in sweat as a good coach after each game. The only football coach that be drenched after every game is Fat Al lol. Anybody off the streets can watch football plays and see know everything each player is supposed to be doing, not the same for basketball. There’s more variables and possible outcomes in basketball. Even though there’s less players on the court. So yeah you even said the coaches have to think faster and be more active than football coaches and draw up plays. So you said yourself it is harder physically and mentally.

I’ll support a Mario Cristobal hire as well but this is my perfect dream scenario right here. We need Ed Reed as the DC… he understands the game at another level no other DC we would be in the market for can come close. And the combination of Lane and Ed Reed in terms of recruiting would tip the scales in our favor for a lot of elite recruits going forward starting with this class. It would counter any recruiting advantage FSU would gain if they hire Deion Sanders as their HC which is going to happen sooner than later.

Thoughts?
Thoughts?

Never put a first time DC in charge of a rebuild effort. How many positions has he coached? Has he even coached in highschool or in the pros? No? He’s just a really good player?

GTFO

Advertisement
Back