Eddie Nunez track record

Advertisement
I’ll chime in:

Listen, imma glass half full kinda guy. Here’s the pros that I see w/ Nunez:

-He played D1 ball at a P5 school

-He was a deputy AD at a successful P5 school, winning a Nat’l title, and it looks like he was actively involved in facilities, media, and social media upgrades at LSU

-Just reading his bio while at NM, it appears other athletics have flourished under him, and it seems like he has a good understanding of branding

The Cons:

-The money making athletics have not flourished under him

-The justification that “it’s New Mexico” is not a viable excuse b/c it’s not like he’s in a conference w/ superior teams. They are all in the same boat w/ each other as far as caliber of student athletes.

With that being said, IT IS NEW MEXICO. Lol. NM has never been a good FB school. ****, even when they had Brian Urlacher, one of the greatest FB players of ALL TIME, they went a mere 16-20. Lol.

They are more a b-ball school than anything, but shoot, man NM hasn’t been good in b-ball Steve Alford was coach back 2007 - 13.

NM has been a tough place to succeed, so I won’t hold judgement against him.

Straight from the sec commissioner’s mouth. He must be a beta:

View attachment 164157
Well, there goes that narrative. Again, a bunch of our CIS posters, to steal a line from the movie Gettysburg, are not fit to run a Johnny detail and yet are losing their collective minds over somebody who is rumored to be a candidate. ****, half of them never went to Miami, have never been to Miami and a rarely if ever attend a Miami game of any sport.

Well now I know you dont know **** about bosses.

I just knew he would respond the way that he did. It's usually the "I'm my own boss, I run my own company" guys who are completely inflexible BECAUSE they have never had to navigate differences of opinion, it's just "my way or the highway".

Julio Frenk may LOOK like the boss, but he answers to 80 Trustees. That's life. Julio Frenk doesn't "own his own business" or "run his own company".

Advertisement
What specifically did he do there?
DB5F2460-5E4E-463B-AB2D-DFDDACD32335.jpeg

Advertisement
I just knew he would respond the way that he did. It's usually the "I'm my own boss, I run my own company" guys who are completely inflexible BECAUSE they have never had to navigate differences of opinion, it's just "my way or the highway".

Julio Frenk may LOOK like the boss, but he answers to 80 Trustees. That's life. Julio Frenk doesn't "own his own business" or "run his own company".
You manage boards by making sound decisions and communicating the why to them. Successful managers have consensus before they present 90% of the time. Our board structure has to many honorary jokers who think they should be captains. The role of the board is to shoot down really bad ideas and provide any insight they have to strategy.

Advertisement
Nunez is a basketball guy and was involved with a pretty awful hoops hire at LSU.

I’d be maybe ok with him if he were paired with Alonzo to manage football… but he is super unimpressive and would be a very disappointing hire.

Who, Will Wade?

He's made the NCAA's twice and the NIT once since he's been there :11263308176-542fcfbd7f-o:

Advertisement
I mean I've been contracted by about 10 schools, mostly in support of larger firms (so far) and worked with ADs related to budget and resources and consulting and working with athletic departments and banks to finance facilities upgrades, projects, and athletic departments in general in the last 2.5 years. SEC, Sun Belt, SoCon, MAC, etc.

I also worked for RSM and was on the engagement auditing UM's financials.... and in comparison with most schools, including multiple Group of 5 athletic departments, we are behind. Who gives a rats *** about an ADs Wins and Losses when you need someone to bring you up to speed with everyone else in all of these other areas - the primary focus of the AD better be just that - and let an expert, like Alonzo, make decisions in regards to football operations/hires/recruiting/etc.

It's been my forte, almost by accident, since I started consulting. What do I know, though.

Met a lot of people in athletic administration and actually talked to a few this week but none know much about this Nunez guy so I'm trying to avoid making any actual assumption about him.

Very nice.

I don't know that Nunez is the top choice yet for UM, but I have gotten a lot more comfortable with him over the past few days. From comments about his interview, I think he checks the "vision" box, I am just hoping to learn a bit more on the connection between his leadership style and his tangible accomplishments. He was the AAD for a long time at LSU, and has only been at UNM for a few years, two of which were heavily impacted by COVID. That is not any sort of an "excuse", just a reflection that it has been hard to move Cap-Ex or other initiatives forward during the last 2 years, particularly for non-P5 programs.

Very nice forte to fall into. I was good friends with a classmate at UM who has a similar forte, but in a law firm and for pro franchises.

Has he been hired ? What about Gino? What about Jurich? How about we wait until an actual hiring before wasting all these perfectly good tampons ? Every new name or tweet causes unreal hemorrhaging

Highly underrated post.

Ok, people here saying don't look at New Mexico State football record to judge him. But what are we supposed to look at? Give me something positive to look at. Give me intangibles to evaluate. The absence of "bad" alone doesn't make him a qualified candidate. What has he done there to make me like him?

Or the whole thing is based on his potential? Somebody at LSU said he did a great job overseeing the construction of a stadium when he was an assistant AD. That's it? Or I'm missing something else much more impressive on his resume.

He talked to a baseball coach. Got it. Amazing achievement.

You asked what he did at LSU and I posted that for one, he oversaw the construction of their new baseball stadium.

If that’s your take from it….shrug….

Advertisement
Back