eddie johnson sign LOI to Hinds CC

Finally. Don't understand why people were so obsessed with this. You don't lose a team over one guy.

I still concede that he was very talented, but very flawed as a LB.

You've eventually gotta keep these kids around - he was ultra talented and we need that on defense.

yeah. he was a RS FR last year seeing his first playing time. dude coulda been a mega stud

Advertisement
Finally. Don't understand why people were so obsessed with this. You don't lose a team over one guy.

I still concede that he was very talented, but very flawed as a LB.

You've eventually gotta keep these kids around - he was ultra talented and we need that on defense.

I guess I just disagree. He wasn't as productive as some people like to think. The guy was absolutely awful in coverage and freelanced quite a bit. In the box, he was good.

he was also a RS FR.

how many guys do we have on defense making the big plays that he made?

The guy was good. People forget that he was a redshirt freshman. Colin McCarthy was criticized for a lot of the same things as a young player, and he is now a stud NFL linebacker when healthy.

EJ was a 6'1, 240 athlete that played harder than Rudy. As good as Figueroa is, he will be missed.

As much as you all may love him. Lets not kid ourselves, DP IS the best player on this defense. EJ was fast and tackles in space well, however he was not great at the POA and he was terrible in coverage. Unfortunately, he is not very smart. He lacks FBI, however he has as much natural talent as you will see. We will be able to replace him with the guys currently on the roster. I honestly think Duke, SM, DP and Porter are the only irreplaceable players on this team. If we had EJ and Paul we could have afforded to lose DP and be able to cover the blow, however we dont have the star power or depth to adequately replace the others. We will be ok, and it will be worth it even more if it means keeping the locker room in check. Too much goon can affect a whole team, just ask Manny Ramirez!

As much as you all may love him. Lets not kid ourselves, DP IS the best player on this defense. EJ was fast and tackles in space well, however he was not great at the POA and he was terrible in coverage. Unfortunately, he is not very smart. He lacks FBI, however he has as much natural talent as you will see. We will be able to replace him with the guys currently on the roster. I honestly think Duke, SM, DP and Porter are the only irreplaceable players on this team. If we had EJ and Paul we could have afforded to lose DP and be able to cover the blow, however we dont have the star power or depth to adequately replace the others. We will be ok, and it will be worth it even more if it means keeping the locker room in check. Too much goon can affect a whole team, just ask Manny Ramirez!

Spot on.

Advertisement
You new Canes fans.... SMH .... One monkey dont stop the show... He knew what he had to do and he ****ed up ... I dont feel bad for him ... The coaches have already filled his spot .... Yall pull up your panties and pull down your skirts....

I highly doubt EJ coulda played here this year even if he/we wanted him to. He woulda had to make up too many credits in summer school to be eligible. [Assuming he wasn't taking classes on-line, which I doubt.]

honestly, I thought gaines sucked but he improved last year. I think Kriby and grace are future stars so we are not that desperate at LB.

The guy was good. People forget that he was a redshirt freshman. Colin McCarthy was criticized for a lot of the same things as a young player, and he is now a stud NFL linebacker when healthy.

EJ was a 6'1, 240 athlete that played harder than Rudy. As good as Figueroa is, he will be missed.

D, I really don't get this. What does Colin's play in the NFL have to do with the mistakes he made while at UM? That we take players for granted? Colin improved and I suspect EJ would have improved. It doesn't make it any less true that, especially early on, Colin wildly overran plays (he did) or that EJ awful in coverage up to this point.

EJ may be missed because we suck *** and have no depth. However, I don't see his issues being worth the trouble for a guy who has more internet hype based on "goon nature" and potential than actual productivity.

Advertisement

D, I really don't get this. What does Colin's play in the NFL have to do with the mistakes he made while at UM? That we take players for granted? Colin improved and I suspect EJ would have improved. It doesn't make it any less true that, especially early on, Colin wildly overran plays (he did) or that EJ awful in coverage up to this point.

EJ may be missed because we suck *** and have no depth. However, I don't see his issues being worth the trouble for a guy who has more internet hype based on "goon nature" and potential than actual productivity.

You said it yourself. EJ likely would have improved in those areas. Nobody is saying he was perfect, and those that do are wrong. But the things he brought cannot be coached and are sorely missed on this defense.

There is a reason Coach Golden gave him more chances than Bobby Brown.

This is the worst news ever. Hopefullly its a different Eddie Johnson as its a very common name. For those saying he wasn't good in coverage your forgetting about the interception he got at the goal line last year. As bad as our defense was last year we NEED EJ probably more then Morris or Duke since its such a need position for the team.

Advertisement
EJ was like intermittent wipers - intermittent solely due to a short in the wiper wiring.

If one person breaks down and is unreliable, the machine breaks down.

And that cannot be allowed. It takes a team, working as a team, thinking as a team, sacrificing as a team.

Absolutely. I can appreciate what Lu is getting at but fact remains that he took a quantum leap during his RS year. He was one of the few players that played balls to the wall and when you are that young, those mistakes are what you hope for. He will be sorely missed, but fact is he had plenty of chances and hasn't taken care of business. Sad but not uncommon story.

I think EJ played well, but Miami doesnt mess with players who dont represent well off the field as well as on...

At the end of the day, I think we wished we could have kept and developed him. Those saying he didnt do much or we wont miss him have short memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnKdRL5F17k

credit to whoever JDCanes is for putting this together...

Advertisement
I think EJ played well, but Miami doesnt mess with players who dont represent well off the field as well as on...

Yup. And according to many people (though nothing 100% confirmed) Golden gave EJ more chances than most would get. No excuses.

You said it yourself. EJ likely would have improved in those areas. Nobody is saying he was perfect, and those that do are wrong. But the things he brought cannot be coached and are sorely missed on this defense.

There is a reason Coach Golden gave him more chances than Bobby Brown.

Don't think it was worth any more chances...or even the amount he was already given. You have to balance what he brings to the table with what it costs Golden in respect and buy-in from the rest.

Also, I project Jermaine Grace to be a better college LB than EJ. Of course, Grace is 2 yrs behind and one doesn't substitute the other necessarily.

Last edited:
he didnt do what he needed to do. he deserves to be kicked off if he isnt handling his business. u can't continue to give this guy more chances, while preaching team discipline to others. gl to him elsewhere. btw whoever mentioned the brown thing, this is a completely diff situation. brown left to go home on his own

It was a wrap when dude decided not to enroll in the spring semester.

To play by the fall, your required to have a certain number of credits for eligibility, by the time the season comes... When your clock starts, it doesn't stop unless you go on a mission or red-shirt.

Neither applied in Eddie's case....SMH **** Eddie!

eddie_sleepwalk_cannibal.jpg

Advertisement
Back