Ed Reed's National Signing Day Presser

Somebody gets it. If the COS was named John Doe and he said he’ll be here when he can people would be losing their collective minds.

Ed Reed talks about commitment and he himself can’t fully commit.

What the **** is the point?

It’s a fluff hire. I listened to that and was like how is he suppose to do what Manny himself spoke about if he’s not in the building.

Also gonna be rough for a kid to take you serious when you barely there. It’s a dangerous game

Advertisement
I would say like most jobs 40+ hours a week.

What a stupid ****** question.

Are other schools COS working PT?
Psst. Little secret for you... there are no other Cheifs of Staff in CFB. What we are doing with Ed is unique. And it's already shown benefits.

I would say like most jobs 40+ hours a week.

What a stupid ****** question.

Are other schools COS working PT?
Lots of people work full time remotely, but it doesn’t matter. And there are no other people with his title in cfb.

Considering what he was brought on to do, I don’t think he needs to live on campus. He can cal croots and look at film from home. He wasn’t hired to restructure the organization.

Ed reed is my favorite cane ever, however I just dont see him doing this for long. Not exactly sure what his job is but seems like this is kind of a part time gig.
It was a PR move to save Manure...his role is so limited. Ed wants to coach and he's making it plain and clear. A lot of ppl got hyped with the hire, thinking it was going to be a full-time, on greentree, on the crootn trail getting it done type of job. Ed will be more of a team counselor. He's here to help with changing the culture, not the on-field details. These guys with youtube channels, acting like they know everything have told y'all he will be doing this and doing that, he's gonna bring this to the program and a lot of other gibberish. Some even linked him to Avante signing; and both Ed and Avante explained that there was no relationship between them and banda was the glue. Hopefully someone with some football sense will give Ed the coaching job he really wants at the U.

It’s a fluff hire. I listened to that and was like how is he suppose to do what Manny himself spoke about if he’s not in the building.

Also gonna be rough for a kid to take you serious when you barely there. It’s a dangerous game
It is a fluff hire to some extent.... but I don’t think there’ll be a problem with the kids not respecting him. That’s going too far.

Advertisement
This will create a ton of hate mail...I get it...

BUT...

I watched his presser and here is what stood out:
1) He is passionate about helping a younger generation
2) He is passionate about helping Miami Hurricanes football
3) His role is still very ill defined and/or he wasn't able to articulate it very well

He has great POTENTIAL to add to our Canes, and with time, maybe integrate more on the formal coaching side than he is allowed to now.

Here is to a brighter future for our Hurricanes and whatever meaningful contributions he can bring.
No Hate. I get what you are saying. I have no doubt that the delta between Ed and Zo was that Zo has business side of football and knew he needed to have clear lines of authority set down. They wouldn't do that. Blake and Manny think that since Ed didn't insist on clear authority he will serve the role of eye candy to the fans without them paying the price.

BUT, I suspect that Ed is playing games like he always did to get QB make a pass -- let them think he is looking someplace else and then bam, pick 6. Ed is in the building and around the team. The question of who is in charge can be answered at restaurant table when the check comes. Picture Ed, Blake and Manny at the table when the check comes, who those the waiter/waitest give it to? Ed is sitting there dressed casual, big cigar in hand with arm over the back on the chair, smiling: Blake and Manny are sitting there nervous. I have been in this situation many times and I think the check goes to Ed. Blake and Manny have made a big mistake. They hired the leader the fear and he is in the house without them knowing what they have done.

I am throwing a lot of spec out there but if I am correct this is very good news and much better than getting Zo, who I really wanted. Ed wins and does what is necessary to do so. If he can win with Manny, then Manny gets NFL HC job and Ed picks next HC. If Manny can't cut it, he is gone and Ed picks next HC.

I don't want Ed Reed to track how many bench presses all the DBs do. I don't want ED Reed to pop into class and see if players are there. I don't want Ed Reed to write out the defensive play sheet for any game. I want Ed Reed to tell recruits and young players that to succeed they have to commit to excellence, that they have to work harder than the guy on FSU's and Clemson's campus. That they have have to work twice as hard as the guy above and below them on the depth chart. I want him to teach them to take pride in their improvement and to understand that a party is one night but game tape is for life. I want Ed F'n Reed to be the same guy he has always been, a world class leader and winner.
Exactly. Ed Reed was never coming here to grind out 7am to 7pm every work day throughout the year. He has a lot of other things going on in his life. The hope is that his presence (in whatever capacity that may be, which will obviously be a whole lot more as COS than it was as just a former player) will have an influence on the kids and the program. I would say we already have a tangible piece of evidence of that with the Tae signing yesterday.

This is a good thing, folks. And if you're angry he won't be on campus full time, then you misunderstood what this was from the beginning.
Ed had nothing to do with the Tae signing as mentioned by Tae and Ed in separate interviews. And Ed wants to coach, he's making it plain as day; so he would be interested in grinding 7 til 7 like coaches do. Ed was already around the team a lot since Richt arrived and doing a lot of what this COS position entails; now he's doing it with a job title and collecting a check for his services. Stop making up narratives to hype yourself up or bandage the wounds from last season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Whoa. That is Muppet talk.

Step back from the ledge slowly.

You’re right. I don’t know what I was thinking.

Here’s the corrected version:

Ed Reed can accomplish more working part time than most guys can accomplish working 100 hours a week.

Glad we got that sorted out.

I don't want Ed Reed to track how many bench presses all the DBs do. I don't want ED Reed to pop into class and see if players are there. I don't want Ed Reed to write out the defensive play sheet for any game. I want Ed Reed to tell recruits and young players that to succeed they have to commit to excellence, that they have to work harder than the guy on FSU's and Clemson's campus. That they have have to work twice as hard as the guy above and below them on the depth chart. I want him to teach them to take pride in their improvement and to understand that a party is one night but game tape is for life. I want Ed F'n Reed to be the same guy he has always been, a world class leader and winner.
[/QUe
But he's a coach and he's letting the world know this. Put this man on the coaching staff, Period.

You’re right. I don’t know what I was thinking.

Here’s the corrected version:

Ed Reed can accomplish more working part time than most guys can accomplish working 100 hours a week.

Glad we got that sorted out.

Definite muppet.

Advertisement
Ed had nothing to do with the Tae signing as mentioned by Tae and Ed in separate interviews. And Ed wants to coach, he's making it plain as day; so he would be interested in grinding 7 til 7 like coaches do. Ed was already around the team a lot since Richt arrived and doing a lot of what this COS position entails; now he's doing it with a job title and collecting a check for his services. Stop making up narratives to hype yourself up or bandage the wounds from last season.
Cute post. But now let's correct some inaccuracies...

"Ed had nothing to do with the Tae signing as mentioned by Tae and Ed in separate interviews."

That is what they said. And Ed Reed's hire absolutely was not the reason Tae was drawn to Miami. ****, Banda has been a part of that kids life since he was in middle school. Banda and Manny deserve 100% of the credit. But you are being foolish if you don't think Miami bringing the greatest safety to ever play the game on as COS a few weeks ago wasn't a factor in Tae's brain yesterday.

"so he would be interested in grinding 7 til 7 like coaches do."

You clearly didn't watch the full press conference yesterday. He actually took offense to a reporter's lead to a question that implied he wasn't working now that he's retired. He went on to the list the numerous ways he IS working and has worked since he left the Ravens. He's involved in many things right now, from time-consuming things he elects to do (like coaching his son's football team) to being employed by other entities (he is still an analyst). Yes, I think he absolutely has his eye on being a full-time coach one day. But, no, he wasn't looking for a 7 to 7 gig at Miami right now.

"Ed was already around the team a lot since Richt arrived"

Ed has been around the team since 1997. He was not involved with the team anywhere near the level you are making it seem under previous regimes. This COS gig is not fake, bud.... it's just not what you personally wanted it to be.

Advertisement
Explain please
We created this position. No other programs have a Chief of Staff. While it appears there was talk of a true one with powers above those already in place back when Highsmith was in the conversation (though I personally don't think there was ever a point in time where that had any realistic chance of happening; was simply the idea of some understandably frustrated BOT members, IMO), there was never a point in time where Ed was brought in to be that.

His role is what it is. And it's downright bizarre to me how there could be this much negativity in this thread about it. I've yet to think of A SINGLE way where bringing Ed Reed on as COS for Miami is a bad thing for this team right now.

Cute post. But now let's correct some inaccuracies...

"Ed had nothing to do with the Tae signing as mentioned by Tae and Ed in separate interviews."
That is what they said. And Ed Reed's hire absolutely was not the reason Tae was drawn to Miami. ****, Banda has been a part of that kids life since he was in middle school. Banda and Manny deserve 100% of the credit. But you are being foolish if you don't think Miami bringing the greatest safety to ever play the game on as COS a few weeks ago wasn't a factor in Tae's brain yesterday.

"so he would be interested in grinding 7 til 7 like coaches do."
You clearly didn't watch the full press conference yesterday. He actually took offense to a reporter's lead to a question that implied he wasn't working now that he's retired. He went on to the list the numerous ways he IS working and has worked since he left the Ravens. He's involved in many things right now, from time-consuming things he elects to do (like coaching his son's football team) to being employed by other entities (he is still an analyst). Yes, I think he absolutely has his eye on being a full-time coach one day. But, no, he wasn't looking for a 7 to 7 gig at Miami right now.

"Ed was already around the team a lot since Richt arrived"

Ed has been around the team since 1997. He was not involved with the team anywhere near the level you are making up seem under previous regimes. This COS gig is not fake, bud.... it's just not what you personally wanted it to be.
Dude we clearly see things, hear things totally different. Im not going to argue about it, i just agree to disagree. I have or never had a say on what a COS is but you're implying that i had personal wants in one, huh?

Dude we clearly see things, hear things totally different. Im not going to argue about it, i just agree to disagree. I have or never had a say on what a COS is but you're implying that i had personal wants in one, huh?
No, my bad, I mixed you up with the guy who was ranting on here a bit ago because he learned Ed wouldn't be on campus full time. I thought I was replying to him again. But the rest of my post applies to you, yes. I too am fine agreeing to disagree, my man, but quotes like "Stop making up narratives to hype yourself up or bandage the wounds from last season" aren't a great first step towards that.

Advertisement
Back