Ed Reed's National Signing Day Presser

Ed Reed can accomplish more working part time than most guys can accomplish working 80 hours a week.

Agree 100%

Some people are beneficial by their mere presence.

Ed Reed KNOWS the game and KNOWS how to win. He had an exceptional mind to go along with his great physical talents. Belichick and Tom Brady spoke volumes on how hard he was to play against, how exceptionally well versed he was with his game prep and planning....to go along with his exceptional conditioning. He was always a well prepared, complete player and team leader.

The quality of the content, information and advice provided is more important than his punching a time clock IMO. IF you're smart enough to realize the value of his input and trust that it's being given with the improvement of the overall program as the goal, you will adjust your schedule to be available when he is available.

This isn't about control, appearances or trying to force someone to conform to your will.....it's about winning.

If the former matters more to you.... you will not adjust and stubbornly carry on as usual.

BUT IF you truly want to win ...and you know that the best advice can be offered by one of the ALL time greats but only at a particular time or place...... I would get off my royal *** and adjust my schedule

Last edited:
Advertisement
It is not the hours put in the office grinding.
It is the game plan and blueprint that is the most important feature contributed, and for Ed re-develop our "culture".

Why should Ed be sitting at the Hecht and Greentree when he could be in Maryland, La., or Georgia making phone calls, contacting our Coaches, and advising at 11:00 p.m at night if needed?. What advantage is there for sitting in an office in the Gables?..

You guys do not realize that it is not the 40 hours put in, but rather working the game plan that Ed has in place.
To be parochial about time spent in his position, is like a small box Mom and Pop planning, compared to Target's game plan for growth.
It can be done from anywhere in the world.
What? Listen, I'm all for Ed Reed in whatever role he's willing to chip in, but in this case there is a huge advantage to, whenever he can, being around the building. For players and coaches. And, this is coming from someone who believes the world will work remotely sooner than later.

He’s not there yet but I think Ed Reed will make a heck of a DC in a few years, if he wants to go that route. He understands offenses and how to mess with them better than anyone.

Not there yet ?? Really??

Ed has surpassed that level years ago....Ask Tom Brady or Bill Belicheck ........he already as you say " understands offenses and how to mess with them better than anyone."

He is doing us a favor contributing however he chooses to.

Not there yet ?? Really??

Ed has surpassed that level years ago....Ask Tom Brady or Bill Belicheck ........he already as you say " understands offenses and how to mess with them better than anyone."

He is doing us a favor contributing however he chooses to.
Was that out loud?

Advertisement
What? Listen, I'm all for Ed Reed in whatever role he's willing to chip in, but in this case there is a huge advantage to, whenever he can, being around the building. For players and coaches. And, this is coming from someone who believes the world will work remotely sooner than later.
Respectfull disagree.......
Ed Does not have to be in the Gables to advise Lash on some plays that he could try against a specific D formation.
Neither does he have to be there in order to call a recruit visiting ON Campus, and explain what he expects if he attends the U.
The world has changed and along with personal media, methods have changed also.
He does NOT have to be around the building in order to be effective in communicating to Manny his thoughts etc...

This is a great opportunity.......It's up to Manny to make this work.

Don't know if it's another one of his window dressing schemes ....Don't really care about the job description.....BUT I do know that Ed Reed is motivated, has the acumen, is ALWAYS serious & focused on winning, and is NOT shy about voicing his opinion about what it takes to do so

Manny can either take advantage of Ed's wealth of knowledge, learn and grow ....OR continue pretending ...hoping to keep our eyes off of his actual results.

I doubt many will stay fooled beyond this year.

The lights are on, the stage is set, the anxious crowd is being seated, the curtains are going up soon...this will be broadcast live ..no redos....time to show them what you've got Manny

No offense intended.

Just highlighting the part I disagreed with. I agreed with the rest
My point is that Ed Reed is not yet at a place where he can be DC of a major program or NFL team. That's a fact. My second point is if he wants that, I expect he'll be great at it. But he's got to commit himself to coaching and get into that gig. Right now he's doing a few things, analyst, mentoring, chief of staff. We'll see whether he really wants to be a coach or just enjoys working with kids more. No judgment either way.

Advertisement
Respectfull disagree.......
Ed Does not have to be in the Gables to advise Lash on some plays that he could try against a specific D formation.
Neither does he have to be there in order to call a recruit visiting ON Campus, and explain what he expects if he attends the U.
The world has changed and along with personal media, methods have changed also.
He does NOT have to be around the building in order to be effective in communicating to Manny his thoughts etc...
I don't disagree with a handful of your premises. They don't contradict what I said: there are benefits gained from his physical presence.

I own and operate a technology company that is 100% remote. My business partners are in different timezones. No employee goes to a central office. Add a layer: we build software to assess how people (students) will function in digital-focused teams. I have a good idea of how the world has changed. Be glad to share about 7 years of research on this still-evolving topic. We don't have to agree, and I'm not necessarily "right" because of my expertise. I'm simply sharing with you what research already shows on the 'in-person vs remote' debate. Certain situations are enhanced by physical presence. For example, when building trust (especially in his case, with kids). Hopefully, we find ways to improve this as different technologies emerge.

Not saying the role is a bad idea or that he won't succeed. Impossible to say because it sounds like things are still in formation and performance measures are undetermined. He can add a bunch of value we don't currently have around. I think everyone agrees on that. Point remains: for him to help remove some of the most common dysfunctions of a team, the more he is "around" and "available" (some of that can be remote), the more effective he is likely to be. Some of this is specific to his case.

My point is that Ed Reed is not yet at a place where he can be DC of a major program or NFL team. That's a fact. My second point is if he wants that, I expect he'll be great at it. But he's got to commit himself to coaching and get into that gig. Right now he's doing a few things, analyst, mentoring, chief of staff. We'll see whether he really wants to be a coach or just enjoys working with kids more. No judgment either way.

Hey we just disagree. We each have our own opinions...... I have some time now ...so why not.

What you've just stated as a fact cannot be proven .....and just saying so doesn't make it so

First of all, neither of us knows what Ed's future ambitions are. Neither of us knows how college or NFL teams would react IF he stated that being a DC was his current ambition.

Even if you've talked to every AD and coach at every major program and every NFL team now...and assuming that they were completely honest with you...you nor I would still have no idea how they may actually view his prospects of being their DC IF he made himself available. We can only offer our opinions

It is not beyond reality, that exceptions have been made for those who have the utmost confidence of the person hiring them. So events do not always follow the usual script followed in the past by others.

IMO Ed's exceptional talents can place him in a position where he doesn't have to follow the usual script. Fact or not is TBD

You don't think he's at a place where he can be DC of a major program or NFL team......I respectfully disagree

Advertisement
Hey we just disagree. We each have our own opinions...... I have some time now ...so why not.

What you've just stated as a fact cannot be proven .....and just saying so doesn't make it so

First of all, neither of us knows what Ed's future ambitions are. Neither of us knows how college or NFL teams would react IF he stated that being a DC was his current ambition.

Even if you've talked to every AD and coach at every major program and every NFL team now...and assuming that they were completely honest with you...you nor I would still have no idea how they may actually view his prospects of being their DC IF he made himself available. We can only offer our opinions

It is not beyond reality, that exceptions have been made for those who have the utmost confidence of the person hiring them. So events do not always follow the usual script followed in the past by others.

IMO Ed's exceptional talents can place him in a position where he doesn't have to follow the usual script. Fact or not is TBD

You don't think he's at a place where he can be DC of a major program or NFL team......I respectfully disagree
You drunk mane?

ER said he wants to be a coach, but he also said he isn't coaching anywhere else. He wants to be a coach at Miami and that's it. Hopefully his next step is safties coach to see what he's got. I just don't see him failing at a job like this. It means too much to him and he doesn't half *** anything. There's no way this hire is anything but good for our future as UM fans.

Advertisement
Looks like he is a figure head. Great PR move.

-He says he isn't allowed to coach.

-He can only recruit over the phone (which is still cool). Still sounds limited since he won't step back from anything he's already doing.

-He lives in Georgia so will be around "when he can." He says that he would help the way he has been helping the program. Now he's paid to "do a little bit more." One activity mentioned was getting speakers in like the former greats to talk to the team (which was already happening).

-He mentioned some potential NCAA issues to navigate since he works with organizations to help young people.

It makes me think of certain famous professors that are technically on staff at a school. They have an office with their name on it (attracting students, of coarse) but are there only a few times a year.

You drunk mane?

Wow!! It's really amazing how you can tell from down there.

Guess that's a fact...YOU really do taste the alcohol whenever my balls get sweaty.

Can you also tell which brand I drink when you're licking them?

No problem it's time for me to hit that ignore button. Play nice

Last edited:
Hopefully Reed is around the team during some of spring and fall camp, for coaches meetings and for scrimmages. Then, in season, more of the same on game days. Especially the home games visit days by recruits. And more in person to get everything started.

Does anyone know if Skype/FaceTime meetings with recruits would allowed?

Advertisement
Back