ED REED COS: Brilliantly executed chess moves....

Here's the thing spinning in my head. Ed has clout, pallets of money, and all the accolades one can possibly imagine in his profession. He is a sought after commodity and has no reason to sign up for a "yes man" gig. He isn't a Darrell Strawberry or a Mike Tyson looking for a come-up after squandering a fortune....

While on the surface this has the looks of a PR grab, I have to wonder what incentive ER has for agreeing to it? 150-200k a year? If that. I mean, unless ER is broke and we dont know about it, he has no incentive to take a position that doesn't suit him. I guess we have to let it play out, but this is what I'm kicking around in my head

So let me get this straight.

You're questioning Ed Reed.

The man is a legend. You think he's some punk that's going to let people use his name? A PR stunt? That he'd sell out for whatever they're paying him? You think he's going to let anyone clown him like that? I'm not singling you out, others are suggesting this and other dumb ****.

Man, he'd slap your asses silly.

You know what he is? He's the best to ever suit up at his position ever. He doesn't need the money. He simply loves this university and wants to get us back to where he and others had us before. He loves this U, unlike a bunch of the fake *** whiny ******* that pollute this board daily.

You think anyone will out work this guy?

You think anyone won't listen when he speaks?

You think anyone will act the fool when he's in the room, on the sidelines, or wherever?

Did some of you m'fers forget who this man is? He sure isn't the sellout that is just going to collect a check like some of you have suggested.

I don't know what his full role will be. I don't put a return to glory on his shoulders alone. I do know this, he's as smart a player as I've ever met. He's a tireless worker and will give it 100. You know why, his name means something to him.

Man, some of you don't deserve good. You really don't.

Advertisement
Is it poorly defined or are you just incapable or unwilling to understand it.

It's poorly defined, but hey. It's ED REED! This fanbase is made up of a collection of Uncle Ricos, people that are so married to the **** past, they won't do anything to ensure a positive future. Miami could have hired a COS worth a **** with a legitimate job description, instead the job goes to a legendary letterwinner that doesn't have ANY experience doing 99% of the stuff listed in the word salad press release.

If Ed proves me wrong, so be it, but the odds are solidly against him. It's hard to create a culture, when in reality you don't have any hire and fire power, nor do you have any ability to go outside of the chain of command to get things done. Ed is a figurehead, and the mouthbreathers bought it. At least Ed will get a good check out of this, so there's that.

It's poorly defined, but hey. It's ED REED! This fanbase is made up of a collection of Uncle Ricos, people that are so married to the **** past, they won't do anything to ensure a positive future. Miami could have hired a COS worth a **** with a legitimate job description, instead the job goes to a legendary letterwinner that doesn't have ANY experience doing 99% of the stuff listed in the word salad press release.

If Ed proves me wrong, so be it, but the odds are solidly against him. It's hard to create a culture, when in reality you don't have any hire and fire power, nor do you have any ability to go outside of the chain of command to get things done. Ed is a figurehead, and the mouthbreathers bought it. At least Ed will get a good check out of this, so there's that.

Mouthbreathers, what a nerd.

He'd slap you silly man. Like he's just going to be a yes man. A punk. Stupid asses, you don't know ****.

In addition to that look at all the wisdom, mentoring, going over film, on campus recruiting, teaching players how to be leaders and a host of other things he’s going to do. Ed Reed is one of the most intelligent football minds EVER, he knows what he’s doing

Ya again, I don't think it's some kind of a lock to workout...I have no idea that Ed Reed can "coach" a **** lick. Gonna root like **** though.

He only has to coach Manny Diaz to be the guy we all know he can be.

Ed is a highly intelligent and very likable leader of men, who can probably get through to Manny, Blake, and BOT in a way other Hurricane greats might not be able to. He's gonna kill them all with kindness and have the entire program eating out of his hand.

More positive changes will come to the program and staff because Manny and Blake don't see Ed as a threat (unlike Zo), and as such they'll take his advice without being overly sensitive. Just like he said last night about how players used to take critiques in the locker room, and I guarantee the toilet bowl is coming back too. Feeling comfortable with who they have in the building and then giving that person the freedom to get the program where it needs to be without losing their respective control, that's what Blake and Manny were looking for.

Ed is there to support and groom Manny into a championship coach because UM and Blake are very invested in his success.

Last edited:

Wrong.

This is a move with no downside. Will ER make Manny a better coach, not likely.

But there’s a lot he can do in terms of player interaction and general approach to the craft.

What you geniuses fail to realize is that there may be a dotted line from him to Manny and Blake, but this puts eyes on a program that is in trouble, on a staff that is questionable, experienced football eyes. Where do you think that information is going? Not to Manny and Blake.

At the same time a little positive news that gather some immeasurable of positive spin for the program is not a bad thing. In the end all that matters is winning and losing, but having something positive happen now it’s not a bad thing. It’s a good thing. And that’s what you people can’t see.

Only a moron thinks he was hired to turn the program around, only a moron thinks that this gives Manny any cover.

And only a moron thinks that this is a bad thing.

Advertisement
Mouthbreathers, what a nerd.

He'd slap you silly man. Like he's just going to be a yes man. A punk. Stupid asses, you don't know ****.

No one said a yes man, but he doesn't have any legitimate power. He's basically a gap between James and Diaz. If you can't define a job in less than 2 sentences, then your job is most likely fluff. Ed wants to help the program, hence why he took the job. Maybe he wanted to kick the tires on an administrative role, and James saw it as an opportunity to get brownie points with our dumbass, past obsessed fanbase. It changed the conversation from "Blake is a moron" to "2-0 Ed Reed Boy!". No one is asking "Why didn't we go out and get an administrator worth a **** and give them the power to do what needs to be done?".

Ya again, I don't think it's some kind of a lock to workout...I have no idea that Ed Reed can "coach" a **** lick. Gonna root like **** though.
Ed Reed was a coach for the bills in the nfl you know but he can’t coach here? Former players all over college football are in the assistant coaching ranks, demarco murray was just hired as Oklahoma’s rb coach recently and **** he was just playing in the league a few years back .

It’s no point in being pessimistic about this hire because for one it’s not as an assistant coach and 2 it can’t do nothing BUT help the current players in a number of facets about the game, how to approach things and leadership skills.

So let me get this straight.

You're questioning Ed Reed.

The man is a legend. You think he's some punk that's going to let people use his name? A PR stunt? That he'd sell out for whatever they're paying him? You think he's going to let anyone clown him like that? I'm not singling you out, others are suggesting this and other dumb ****.

Man, he'd slap your asses silly.

You know what he is? He's the best to ever suit up at his position ever. He doesn't need the money. He simply loves this university and wants to get us back to where he and others had us before. He loves this U, unlike a bunch of the fake *** whiny ******* that pollute this board daily.

You think anyone will out work this guy?

You think anyone won't listen when he speaks?

You think anyone will act the fool when he's in the room, on the sidelines, or wherever?

Did some of you m'fers forget who this man is? He sure isn't the sellout that is just going to collect a check like some of you have suggested.

I don't know what his full role will be. I don't put a return to glory on his shoulders alone. I do know this, he's as smart a player as I've ever met. He's a tireless worker and will give it 100. You know why, his name means something to him.

Man, some of you don't deserve good. You really don't.

Ummmm did u even read what i what I posted?? I ask the very questions you paraphrased in your opening statement. You dissed me, as I LITERALLY MADE YOUR ARGUMENT that you are coming at me with. Clearly you either cannot read, are blind, or cannot comprehend basic English

No one said a yes man, but he doesn't have any legitimate power. He's basically a gap between James and Diaz. If you can't define a job in less than 2 sentences, then your job is most likely fluff. Ed may want to help the program, hence why he took the job. Maybe he wanted to kick the tires on an administrative role, and James saw it as an opportunity to get brownie points with our dumbass, past obsessed fanbase. It changed the conversation from "Blake is a moron" to "2-0 Ed Reed Boy!". No one is asking "Why didn't we go out and get an administrator worth a **** and give them the power to do what needs to be done?".

Since you know what his daily tasks will be, please let us all know what his days will look like.

I'll sit back and listen.

You don't know, but if you want to give it a go, it'll be entertaining. You don't know what his role is. In fact, it isn't even completely defined at this time. Know this though, his words will carry weight, believe that.

Fast, give me five administrative names that you would rather have. Tell me where they are and what their roles are.

Silly ***.

Advertisement
Wrong.

But there’s a lot he can do in terms of player interaction and general approach to the craft.

What you geniuses fail to realize is that there may be a dotted line from him to Manny and Blake, but this puts eyes on a program that is in trouble, on a staff that is questionable, experienced football eyes. Where do you think that information is going? Not to Manny and Blake.

At the same time a little positive news that gather some immeasurable of positive spin for the program is not a bad thing. In the end all that matters is winning and losing, but having something positive happen now it’s not a bad thing. It’s a good thing. And that’s what you people can’t see.

Only a moron thinks he was hired to turn the program around, only a moron thinks that this gives Manny any cover.

It has no downside, because it's a move that is designed for PR, not for anything worthwhile. If things goes badly, Ed won't be blamed, because he's Ed Reed, and most of us know this hire has little if any organizational power. If Miami was serious about putting a **** product on the field worth a crap, Blake James would have been fired the MOMENT he came into the room and suggested Manny Diaz 6 hours into a so called "National" search. No one gave a ****, and here we are. Frankly, all this move does is buy everyone involved some time. By merely finding a Hurricane legend to take this job, which sounds great, until you realize that Ed will be a glorified adviser with little actual ability to change anything, Blake got this fanbase off his back. He knew exactly what he was doing, he knew that he needed a name to fill this job, not someone that would demand to have significant power and ability to do the things that needed to be done. Note that not a single collegiate administrator out there that could have filled that job was even floated as a name. It was all former letterwinners at Miami, and ONLY Miami.

Ed is just the last gasp of someone that knows that maybe, eventually someone in power will realize that Blake is incompetent and it's time to clear it out. A competent AD wouldn't make this hire, period. Then again, a competent AD wouldn't hire Manny Diaz and that garbage staff to begin with.

Ummmm did u even read what i what I posted?? I ask the very questions you paraphrased in your opening statement. You dissed me, as I LITERALLY MADE YOUR ARGUMENT that you are coming at me with. Clearly you either cannot read, are blind, or cannot comprehend basic English

While on the surface this has the looks of a PR grab, I have to wonder what incentive ER has for agreeing to it? 150-200k a year? If that. I mean, unless ER is broke and we dont know about it, he has no incentive to take a position that doesn't suit him. I guess we have to let it play out, but this is what I'm kicking around in my head

On the surface this looks like a PR grab? What incentive? Is Reed broke? He's taking a position that doesn't suit him?

Maybe you need to do a better job of saying whatever it is you mean to say, but that sure as **** comes across just the way I took it. The second part at least.

I will say I wasn't singling you out, you're not alone. Still, you got these things "kicking" around in your head. Do a better job of getting them out if you meant something other than the way they come across. That second half was bad. In short, he wants to be around the game, no better place than here.

Wrong.

Agreed, there is no downside to this.

I mean I hope so, we could use some...Again I'm rooting, I just am in wait and see mode. I think it's a goofy *** position, and no idea if he will do it will.
I don’t disagree. I think the combination of moves this offseason is encouraging.

I’m glad Ed is involved somehow though I have no idea how this will play out. Having him here is a good thing though just remains to be seen to what extent.

Advertisement
It has no downside, because it's a move that is designed for PR, not for anything worthwhile. If things goes badly, Ed won't be blamed, because he's Ed Reed, and most of us know this hire has little if any organizational power. If Miami was serious about putting a **** product on the field worth a crap, Blake James would have been fired the MOMENT he came into the room and suggested Manny Diaz 6 hours into a so called "National" search. No one gave a ****, and here we are. Frankly, all this move does is buy everyone involved some time. By merely finding a Hurricane legend to take this job, which sounds great, until you realize that Ed will be a glorified adviser with little actual ability to change anything, Blake got this fanbase off his back. He knew exactly what he was doing, he knew that he needed a name to fill this job, not someone that would demand to have significant power and ability to do the things that needed to be done. Note that not a single collegiate administrator out there that could have filled that job was even floated as a name. It was all former letterwinners at Miami, and ONLY Miami.

Ed is just the last gasp of someone that knows that maybe, eventually someone in power will realize that Blake is incompetent and it's time to clear it out. A competent AD wouldn't make this hire, period. Then again, a competent AD wouldn't hire Manny Diaz and that garbage staff to begin with.

You say so much stupid **** it's impossible to keep up.

The fact that you think Blake was the first to say, let's get Diaz, shows you are talking out your ***.

On the surface this looks like a PR grab? What incentive? Is Reed broke? He's taking a position that doesn't suit him?

Maybe you need to do a better job of saying whatever it is you mean to say, but that sure as **** comes across just the way I took it. The second part at least.

I will say I wasn't singling you out, you're not alone. Still, you got these things "kicking" around in your head. Do a better job of getting them out if you meant something other than the way they come across. That second half was bad. In short, he wants to be around the game, no better place than here.

Ok... maybe u just didn't pick up what I was putting down. I was essentially saying ER has no reason to take a house of sticks job. I said "he has no reason"..... "no incentive "... essentially saying, if ER took the job, in his heart of hearts, it because he has IN FACT BEEN GRANTED the authorities and permissions to do whatever is needed to "right the ship"..... Bro, I'm agreeing with you. ER should, and hopefully, will do great things at the U. I'm arguing why it makes NO SENSE that he would take a PUPPET JOB. We good now??

Since you know what his daily tasks will be, please let us all know what his days will look like.

I'll sit back and listen.

You don't know, but if you want to give it a go, it'll be entertaining. You don't know what his role is. In fact, it isn't even completely defined at this time. Know this though, his words will carry weight, believe that.

Fast, give me five administrative names that you would rather have. Tell me where they are and what their roles are.

Silly ***.

Tim Allen(Michigan State/Director of Football Ops) Strong administrator, has been around multiple programs in which they have done an excellent job of getting the most out of talent. Strong organization guy, would come in and bring a more balanced approach to program management.

David Peloquin(Notre Dame/Dir. Of Player Personnel)--Younger guy, has spent a lot of time around Brian Kelly, so that would be a negative. Would like a guy that has worked under multiple coaches, to have a wide purview of what works and doesn't work.

Jerry Kill(Special Assistant at VT)--Pretty good coach, high end guy in regards to identifying coaching talent.

Those were three names that immediately came to mind around 30-45 seconds in, and that's from someone that doesn't work in athletics administration, whatsoever. You could go through the ranks of coaches that are currently unemployed, but could do the job and sort through for some second and third tier names.

It doesn't take that much time, especially for someone whose JOB it is to have those connections to take a gander at some good programs, the ones that are well managed, and try to poach someone from the ops office that may not be in line for the main job. You want someone that understands the majority of stuff that goes on in the program, someone that can bring in fresh ideas. Unfortunately, this program isn't in to that weird booklearning and idea stuff. Frankly, this program would have been better off hiring Ed to run the DB group, and getting an administrator for the COS role. Unfortunately, the PR splash wouldn't have been as good, and that's what Blake wanted.

Advertisement
You say so much stupid **** it's impossible to keep up.

The fact that you think Blake was the first to say, let's get Diaz, shows you are talking out your ***.

Blake as the AD had the power to slow it down, he didn't do anything. But hey, let's continue to believe that a booster base that pretty much allows the department to run itself with little interference just foisted this wholly unqualified candidate on the AD and he sat there and took it with no pushback. Blake panicked, you could see that during the press conference. Blake has panicked on multiple hires. Look at the Richt hire, Miami had a significant head start in regards to vetting candidates, and look what Miami had narrowed it down to, had Richt not been canned.

Because he loves Miami, did you not see him speaking about what the program needed at the reunion show? He knows what’s Broken and he’s going to try and help get it fixed

Oh christ...
He only has to coach Manny Diaz to be the guy we all know he can be.

Ed is a highly intelligent and very likable leader of men, who can probably get through to Manny, Blake, and BOT in a way other Hurricane greats might not be able to. He's gonna kill them all with kindness and have the entire program eating out of his hand.

More positive changes will come to the program and staff because Manny and Blake don't see Ed as a threat (unlike Zo), and as such they'll take his advice without being overly sensitive. Just like he said last night about how players used to take critiques in the locker room, and I guarantee the toilet bowl is coming back too. Feeling comfortable with who they have in the building and then giving that person the freedom to get the program where it needs to be without losing their respective control, that's what Blake and Manny were looking for.

Ed is there to support and groom Manny into a championship coach; UM and Blake are very invested in his success.

Sounds like a bunch of cliches, hot air, and wishful thinking to me...Again, I hope you're right.

And again this position only exists because Manny Diaz is not good at his job. How the **** is Ed Reed going to groom a head coach? I see nothing in Ed Reed's career as one of the greatest, if not greatest safeties to ever play the game that automatically translates into him being a "head coach groomer"

Last edited:
Bro all you do is cry
Hey I won't leave if we win I'll be here cheering with y'all. I'll cry but I ain't bouncing even if I'm wrong I take those lumps easy....I have no issues with being wrong. And if it's a mope mentality I got one program to blame. I try to be as real as it is not going to fall for it until it sounds so good I dive in with the rest of yall. (Which has happened before). It ain't even about being right either anymore with me. Hey u could put me on ignore it's pretty easy...I don't have anyone on ignore cause I just laugh at the slurpfest for the staph and all the hype off-season bs.
If every post was crying then your right but complaining and crying are two different things. If crying is telling the truth then I'm guilty.

Here’s the leash..here’s the path to the water..but can you make a cow drink the water..how much do our kids really want it is the question at the end of the day. How much sacrifice are they putting into getting better physically and mentally this offseason..the Reed hire is GREAT for buzz Right now..but in the dog days of spring, summer and fall it won’t matter. What matters is what is going on in that locker room/meeting room/weight room/practice fields. Who’s putting in the extra work. Who’s watching the extra film. Who organizing extra drills on Greentree. Can king be a plus multiplier and make those around him better, take command and leave no doubt heading into summer about who the guy is?..this season is on the players foremost. ESPECIALLY on offense. They have absolutely no excuse. This Defense we can almost book will be a top 15-20 D (I think top 10). We got the spread everyone been clamoring for..let’s see what happens

Advertisement
Back