Early thoughts on Gattis?

Where do you stand?

• I'm satisfied with his scheme and play-calling and approve of his job performance.

• Sample size is too small, I'll reserve judgement until we play some quality opponents.

• I wish we had hired someone else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Advertisement
He is conservative and relies on out talenting the opponent. We’ve seen this before. CIS going to roast him.

Run game has improved by leaps and bounds already. TVD hasn't been insanely efficient, but he's flashed at times. This O isn't going to be him throwing the ball around the yard 40+ times per game, especially considering that the best weapon he has right now is Parrish. Miami has tailbacks, the want to break teams down, and then open the field up for TVD.

I've said it once and I say it again, our fans love flash more than substance. No one and I mean no one wins anything of note with straight up air raid. Miami wants to be balanced, while getting explosive plays in the pass game. You're seeing an install in realtime and it's not always going to be pretty.

Advertisement
If TVD is TVD, he throws over 300 yards and a couple TDs and he’s sitting the 4th.

The last two weeks have been vanilla as chuck. It’s not that difficult to see that Gattis has not utilized his TEs like he does nor big plays for X and co. I like B, Smith getting reps. He’s a matchup problem. Canes will be fine. They are the best team in the coastal and it isn’t close if Slovis misses games.

I don’t think Steele has blitzed at all the first two games. Defense looks like it’s playing NFL pro bowl rules. Ivey is suspect, we all know that. But JWill, Kam, and Wes look like stars. DT play has been great and we don’t give up anything on the ground.

Let’s see how A&M goes. Both sides of the ball just seem two generic to be our true selves.
Good read, this team will look different and play better and more efficiently week to week. It’s the progression that comes with new systems/staff, and application from practice to games. Our talent and coaching doesn’t suck at week two, only our fans delirious expectations. Get real. 🙌🏽 #CANESNATIONLIFER

This could have all been a play today to prepare for TAMU. I'd like to think that it was. Sample is too small, and I would like to see some ACC play before passing judgement.

I think it needs to be said and perhaps reminded on people here that previous coaching administrations would not adjust during half-time and trying to muscle-**** their way to victory. We did not come out and score 20 points in the second half because of chance. We absolutely saw an adjustment today and that should count for something.

Advertisement
460 yards and had a parrish td called back (we got a field goal instead) so offense would have had 34 today while being very vanilla, what's the problem?

that and tyrique's td being called back, very easily should have been 41-7 today against a quality opponent while showing very little in terms of formations, TE sets, or anything else complex

wait until we get into ACC play before everyone starts freaking out, dude just won the broyles award

If TVD is TVD, he throws over 300 yards and a couple TDs and he’s sitting the 4th.

The last two weeks have been vanilla as chuck. It’s not that difficult to see that Gattis has not utilized his TEs like he does nor big plays for X and co. I like B, Smith getting reps. He’s a matchup problem. Canes will be fine. They are the best team in the coastal and it isn’t close if Slovis misses games.

I don’t think Steele has blitzed at all the first two games. Defense looks like it’s playing NFL pro bowl rules. Ivey is suspect, we all know that. But JWill, Kam, and Wes look like stars. DT play has been great and we don’t give up anything on the ground.

Let’s see how A&M goes. Both sides of the ball just seem two generic to be our true selves.
@No_Fly_Zone specifically mentioned during the game that we did zero blitzing, stunts, twists, disguises. The defense was totally bland. Let's see next week.

This isn't a criticism either.

Advertisement
No magic scheme is gonna fix our issues. Yet we don't even know what the current group of players are capable of since it's the 2nd game. I have no problem if we become a big physical team. We are also missing a capable big play guy on the outside and TVD is not scanning the field so far.

Advertisement
we put up 450 yards today, it's not like it was a bad performance. TVD needed to be much sharper than he was. it's too early to really judge- the consistency we see in the run game just needs to be augmented by explosives in the pass game. if that happens, we're golden.
the regression from TVD is alarming today. he progressed at an alarming rate last season in season I might add. he looked like kid against UVA out there. even that kid started figuring some things out. maybe its the new offense thats getting him stuck

460 yards and had a parrish td called back (we got a field goal instead) so offense would have had 34 today while being very vanilla, what's the problem?

that and tyrique's td being called back, very easily should have been 41-7 today against a quality opponent while showing very little in terms of formations, TE sets, or anything else complex

wait until we get into ACC play before everyone starts freaking out, dude just won the broyles award
Ty didnt have a td called back, he was standing around and then went to celebrate.. he basically called the play dead lol

like the run game. not a fan of the pace. well see on the passing front bc TVD was bad. we wont be able to run on ATM like we did southern miss or Bethune so it'll be a real test for gattis and Mario to see what we open up on offense

Advertisement
Back