Early thoughts on Gattis?

Where do you stand?

• I'm satisfied with his scheme and play-calling and approve of his job performance.

• Sample size is too small, I'll reserve judgement until we play some quality opponents.

• I wish we had hired someone else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
TVD didn’t start last season very strong, but he (and Lashlee) eventually connected when NC State was his coming out game and the rest is history. TVD was about a 62% completion percentage last year (which isn’t great), but he has improved to about 75% this season (which is elite). It takes a while for the new OC and the QB to break in a new offense, but once it clicks, it really clicks. The Canes will go back and look at the tape and see what was lacking. I think both OC and QB will make adjustments. The Canes will know more about what kind of offense they have after the ACC conference games start. I say midseason will tell us more about who we are on offense, and if we are among the leaders in rushing the football, and TVD has a 70% completion percentage, that is good enough to win the ACC

I am very happy that we can finally run the ball in the red zone and when we need short yardage, like most good teams. Last year was frustrating to see us get consistently stopped on 3rd and 4th and short, and put our defense in difficult situations.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not excited so far but too early to really know for sure. Didn't really love the hire honestly but didn't want to be a ****. If he replicates what he learned at Bama I'd be pumped, bit it's looking like Michigan is more his style and that's a horrible offense to run in S. Florida.
He ain’t do much at bama lol penn state and Michigan represents his work better. Some similarities here n there but that was locksley and stuff lane left behind

Advertisement
Mario is a dumb caveman trapped in the 80's. He thinks making his QB take two steps back before the snap is a modern offense.

This offense is excruciating to watch.
It's going to be really ugly to watch when we play a better D.

Advertisement
I don’t mind running the ball as much as we have been if it works. However, I’d like to play at a much quicker pace. This slow plodding style doesn’t benefit TVD’s style of play. I’d also like to see more of a vertical passing game incorporated, especially early on in games.
When TVD dropped back for vertical passes, did you notice how the announcers always said “great coverage downfield”? That’s code for “WR’s can’t get open”

Maybe if your offense struggles to score 10 points against Southern Miss, you should open the playbook. That whole purposely conservative game plan is fine if you’re moving the ball up and down the field with a basic playbook but if you’re struggling, you need to start using some of those plays you’ve been saving. TVD’s one long pass and only passing touchdown was on a flea flicker. That’s not a play you call if you’re not opening the playbook

Advertisement
When TVD dropped back for vertical passes, did you notice how the announcers always said “great coverage downfield”? That’s code for “WR’s can’t get open”
Watch some games in person. You can actually see the receivers running downfield uncovered that the TV cameras don’t show. It was the same thing last week. Everyone in the crowd is yelling and pointing at the guys that are wide open but TVD doesn’t see them for whatever reason.

Advertisement
Too early to tell. If this offense works against Power 5 teams, I'm good with it.
I'm still in wait and see mode, but I gotta say I am not impressed. We have an NFL QB that can't seem to get into rhythm, and that's a huge concern. All this talk about how hard TVD works to improve in this O is concerning. You taylor your O to your strengths, and this season has pounding square into a round hole written all over it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us looking any better against more talented teams.

Watch some games in person. You can actually see the receivers running downfield uncovered that the TV cameras don’t show. It was the same thing last week. Everyone in the crowd is yelling and pointing at the guys that are wide open but TVD doesn’t see them for whatever reason.
That’s not a play calling issue. That’s between TVD and his trust for his WR’s

Advertisement
Back