Early thoughts on Gattis?

Where do you stand?

• I'm satisfied with his scheme and play-calling and approve of his job performance.

• Sample size is too small, I'll reserve judgement until we play some quality opponents.

• I wish we had hired someone else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don’t anticipate a sudden change in offensive philosophy or scheme based on quality of opponents.

Looking over Michigan’s game by game offensive stats last year there was only one game they appeared to sling the ball around much more and that was a loss against Michigan State.

I’m sure there are different play calls/pass concepts we haven’t seen that depends on the defensive schemes we face but anyone expecting TVD to throw 30 times just because may be disappointed.

I’m okay with doing whatever it takes to win. I definitely don’t care what it looks like to make that happen. Some fans seem to want to watch an exciting offense but these coaches just want to win.

Advertisement
I personally believe he’s been very vanilla with play calling and tempo. He gave A&M what he wanted. Now he can open up the plays and start up tempo against them. Here’s to hoping that is what the 1st 2 games were haha

I don’t anticipate a sudden change in offensive philosophy or scheme based on quality of opponents.

Looking over Michigan’s game by game offensive stats last year there was only one game they appeared to sling the ball around much more and that was a loss against Michigan State.

I’m sure there are different play calls/pass concepts we haven’t seen that depends on the defensive schemes we face but anyone expecting TVD to throw 30 times just because may be disappointed.

I’m okay with doing whatever it takes to win. I definitely don’t care what it looks like to make that happen. Some fans seem to want to watch an exciting offense but these coaches just want to win.
I attribute that to Cade Mac being ***

Advertisement
He ain’t do much at bama lol penn state and Michigan represents his work better. Some similarities here n there but that was locksley and stuff lane left behind

The play calling sucks. The receivers haven’t been developed whatsoever and TVD’s 300 yard streak was instantly ended

What is happening to this offense is EXACTLY what every Twitter troll said would happen when Mario was hired

We call ourselves TEU and our elite redshirt freshman is being used as a fullback.
Maybe they weren't trolls

It’s game 2 of a new complex offense. Your expectations of a well oiled machine were unrealistic

There is nothing complex about Gattis offense. It's actually very basic and straight forward. There was nothing complex about the O at Michigan last year. It is an old school smashmouth ball control, slow tempo, methodical style of play. They want to line up and run the ball down your throat and play a basic safe passing game, hoping the WR play opens up based on the run game. Basic WR routes. Plays like the old school End Around play and flee flicker is the extent of 'Opening it up' for this style of offense....That was exciting back in the 80's/90's. It will be difficult to recruit top QB's and WR's to play in this style of offense in the year 2022.

Advertisement
AB82C96B-1FEE-43B5-B7A4-77632306642F.gif

Fck ANYBODY talking **** about Gattis! It’s not warranted…

Gattis calls the offense that Mario Runtheball wants. Long sustained drives, eat clock, play defense.

Its a fine formula for winning most games, just not particularly exciting to watch. The problem is that I don't think the defense is good enough for that philosophy to work all season and we may lose a couple games we shouldn't. Until that happens, I'll take the W and keep my complaining to a minimum.

TVD was so miscalibrated yesterday that Gattis didn't really have much choice but to call run plays. On the pass plays, there were open receivers but I think TVD felt they were covered.

Everyone says they want an OC that plays to a QBs strengths. But what about an OC adjusting for the QBs weakness? TVD was getting confused by So Miss's coverage. So Gattis (wisely IMO) adjusted to TVDs struggles and didn't ask him to drop back and make reads. The flea flicker was a phenomenal call, he dialed up a play that caused So Miss to leave a WR completely uncovered and all TVD had to do was lock onto that WR and deliver an accurate deep ball (which is his strength).

The Kentucky Florida game was a perfect encapsulation of the two philosophies at play. UKs gameplan was Mario's platonic ideal. Didn't matter that UF was bottling up most runs, it still forced them to respect the ground game and it gave Levis big passing windows. He didn't have to make many difficult throws. On the flip side, it was obvious to anyone watching the game that AR could not throw. Did Sunbelt Billy adjust and stop calling pass plays? Nope. That pick 6 happened on a 1st and 10 at the UK 39. Etienne was running well. No reason for UF to be passing in that situation. Billy continued to believe in his QBs Heisman hype, despite ARs passing difficulties. Id rather have the OC that adjusts to the performance of his players (or lack thereof) than one who sticks with the same gameplan from start to finish.

Gattis calls the offense that Mario Runtheball wants. Long sustained drives, eat clock, play defense.

Its a fine formula for winning most games, just not particularly exciting to watch. The problem is that I don't think the defense is good enough for that philosophy to work all season and we may lose a couple games we shouldn't. Until that happens, I'll take the W and keep my complaining to a minimum.

TVD was so miscalibrated yesterday that Gattis didn't really have much choice but to call run plays. On the pass plays, there were open receivers but I think TVD felt they were covered.

Everyone says they want an OC that plays to a QBs strengths. But what about an OC adjusting for the QBs weakness? TVD was getting confused by So Miss's coverage. So Gattis (wisely IMO) adjusted to TVDs struggles and didn't ask him to drop back and make reads. The flea flicker was a phenomenal call, he dialed up a play that caused So Miss to leave a WR completely uncovered and all TVD had to do was lock onto that WR and deliver an accurate deep ball (which is his strength).

The Kentucky Florida game was a perfect encapsulation of the two philosophies at play. UKs gameplan was Mario's platonic ideal. Didn't matter that UF was bottling up most runs, it still forced them to respect the ground game and it gave Levis big passing windows. He didn't have to make many difficult throws. On the flip side, it was obvious to anyone watching the game that AR could not throw. Did Sunbelt Billy adjust and stop calling pass plays? Nope. That pick 6 happened on a 1st and 10 at the UK 39. Etienne was running well. No reason for UF to be passing in that situation. Billy continued to believe in his QBs Heisman hype, despite ARs passing difficulties. Id rather have the OC that adjusts to the performance of his players (or lack thereof) than one who sticks with the same gameplan from start to finish.
Nah Kentucky bottled that run up in the third and fourth. also, Kentucky couldn’t score on offense. That game is in ot if not for ar and Billy’s dumb decisions

Advertisement
what happens if we beat A&M and drop 30 on clemson?

will the clowns on here still be mad because it's not the offense that they like to see (despite being unqualified random ppl on a message board)

what matters is if we win, shut the **** up until that stops happening. lashlee was great! and guess what we sucked as a team

After rewatching it, I would agree. Lots of guys were open and TVD was holding on to the ball forever. He has to make quicker reads. I'm not sure what is going on with him.
The MH had an article on him this AM. He said he had a bad game and was going to throw to his wide receivers that evening. Glad he realizes but I’m a bit dumbfounded of his play. He would not even look at other receivers but lock in on one. Then he would misfire. I think he his more comfortable in a gun and run tempo. Only time will tell but right now I’m unsure.

Advertisement
We were around 60% run yesterday when considering sacks as runs. We complained about lashlee and how one dimensional it made us. If TD sees some of his open WR downfield yesterday, I think we have a different opinion.

Let's see how it shakes out vs ATM and teams who may be able to bottle up the run at times

what happens if we beat A&M and drop 30 on clemson?

will the clowns on here still be mad because it's not the offense that they like to see (despite being unqualified random ppl on a message board)

what matters is if we win, shut the **** up until that stops happening. lashlee was great! and guess what we sucked as a team
Unqualified??....Clowns??...You do realize that there's multiple people on this site who actually know what they're talking about. You'd be shocked at who some of them are.

Advertisement
Back