Early thoughts on Gattis?

Where do you stand?

• I'm satisfied with his scheme and play-calling and approve of his job performance.

• Sample size is too small, I'll reserve judgement until we play some quality opponents.

• I wish we had hired someone else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Advertisement
We had four drives that were 10, 12. 13, and 16 plays. I can not remember when we had 4 sure drives in a game.
Three of those drives were over 6 minutes and the fourth 5 min 30 sec. We need to be able to control the ball and clock for
extended periods if are goal is champiionship football. We also had two quick scores, yes some were field goals.
Yes , I would lilke to see a few more deep balls, but if continue to play like we did in the 2nd half I'll be satisfied.
This isn’t the 80s and we don’t have a defense that can win like that. You need more explosion in the offense otherwise you’re handicapping the team esp since the defense will always allow points unless you build that uga defense

There were wide open WRs all day. TVD just has to start seeing them and take the checkdown more...that too is wide open every other play. Then suddenly the O will look so much better. Still run heavy but better.
Bingo!!! You are absolutely correct. Sometimes two receivers were open, but TVD went late elsewhere. To TVD's credit, he owned it.

I will reserve my opinion until after A&M
I like the running game and toughness though
The passing game I keep my mouth shot until this Sat
Mostly agree with this. I might give him a little more rope and take a look after 6 games. Overall, I like what I'm seeing and realize that he is building things and has not landed at what he wants to do. I would like more targets to our TE's.

Advertisement
Really?
He got blasted on this forum every week.
Lashlee is Howard Schnellenberger reincarnate now?
Lashlee was half a great coach. He got results in the air and his run concepts were drawn in the dirt simple and predictable. If you don’t remember how much he sucked running the ball, go rewatch UVA or a half dozen other games last year. Mind numbing.

Gattis might be the opposite. Run coupled with Mirabal is a dream. “Throw game” looks to be much harder than it should be.

Honestly watching San Francisco today was a reminder of how frustrating this style of offense can be when it matches up to a quality D. You can’t freaking run for 300 yards reliably in football, but these geniuses like to treat passing like a stepchild they’re keeping in the house because they make more money in child support than they cost to keep alive.

moved to tears crying GIF

Advertisement
Lashlee was half a great coach. He got results in the air and his run concepts were drawn in the dirt simple and predictable. If you don’t remember how much he sucked running the ball, go rewatch UVA or a half dozen other games last year. Mind numbing.

Gattis might be the opposite. Run coupled with Mirabal is a dream. “Throw game” looks to be much harder than it should be.

Honestly watching San Francisco today was a reminder of how frustrating this style of offense can be when it matches up to a quality D. You can’t freaking run for 300 yards reliably in football, but these geniuses like to treat passing like a stepchild they’re keeping in the house because they make more money in child support than they cost to keep alive.

All of what you posted may be true, and you certainly make good points.
However, my point was not to pass judgement on either Lashlee or Gattis (yet).
My point was aimed at the pining for the "Good ole days" under Trashlee, err Rashlee....something that is apparently getting legs in this forum.....kinda like how some ripped on Jeff Stoutland during the Grassy days and we all saw how that played out.

Anyways, for the record, I had no issue with Lashlee and I'm waiting on a bigger sample size on Gattis. Too early to pass judgement, I IMO, after 2 games.

Here’s another positive. We ditched the under center play.

I wonder if he was using these two games to test out different things in a similar way that Michigan is using their first two to help choose a QB. ITs odd to just change styles altogether from one game to another.

Idk I gave up on the belief that coaches can “open the playbook” after being bamboozled by Richt and Enos. I don’t think Gattis is using the best plays he has and maybe there is more to this but it seems like he’s been using very simplistic stuff. Yesterday the OL and TVD weren’t as sharp. You’ll never look good that way. I think if TVD continues to struggle and the run game isn’t as strong as it needs to be the offense will get exposed and need changes. That’s where to me he earns his paycheck. How does he adapt when option 1 doesn’t work? Does he continue to force it or adapt to the players. Let’s see how the next three weeks go.

Lashlee is better than a lot of people think. Was he perfect? No. But he was better than we have had in a long time.
Funny how quickly we forgot that we were 100 ranked type offense when he came in and with no spring, covid offseason we immediately improved with reworked schedule (only one nonconference game).. qb gets hurt in bowl game, they rush him back and he gets hurt again, we lose 2 olineman, top two RB, and qb and offense is STILL productive with backups like top qtr productive and not some 100 ranked mess like it was before..

Was he perfect? Absolutely not.. but still did his thing and got production. I await the super saved playbook tho, looking forward to it..

Advertisement
Advertisement
This isn’t the 80s and we don’t have a defense that can win like that. You need more explosion in the offense otherwise you’re handicapping the team esp since the defense will always allow points unless you build that uga defense

It’s not only about having a stout defense. The longer your offense is on the field, the less time theirs is. Positive Turnover ratio and time of possession wins games. There’s a reason why all these offensive explosive teams have crap defenses

It’s not only about having a stout defense. The longer your offense is on the field, the less time theirs is. Positive Turnover ratio and time of possession wins games. There’s a reason why all these offensive explosive teams have crap defenses
must have Ohio states crappy defense, Alabamas crappy defenses, etc. you guys are in the 70s w this ****

Advertisement
Back