Durham to no longer host the ACC tourney

Advertisement
Since the schools that host regionals submit bids, I can't see a school willing to give away free tickets if they have no revenue coming in to offset their bid. As I understand it and I could be wrong, the NCAA also gets their beak wet. The last time I went to a game in Miami, all of the General Admin tickets were sold out, but you could buy tickets to the higher priced seats. I wound up sitting in a seat behind Home Plate and there were plenty of empty seats in the pricey sections.

Bring it to Charlotte. Gorgeous 5 year old stadium in the middle of the city where the AAA White Sox affiliate plays. Plus I work in the tallest building on the left.

Bring it to Charlotte. Gorgeous 5 year old stadium in the middle of the city where the AAA White Sox affiliate plays. Plus I work in the tallest building on the left.
View attachment 85070View attachment 85071

Same issue as Durham. It's that AAA League that wont let the ACC block off that week under their new policy.

Otherwise yeah I'd think Charlotte is a no brainer

Greenville, SC would be a great spot.

They used to have it there years ago but mike Martin cried and whined it gave Clemson too much advantage

Advertisement
Jacksonville could be an option as the city has put in their request to host. However, the ACC will probably pick somewhere in North or South Carolina as they do for all the sports.

That's because you are stupid.

Notre Dame has a huge alumni/fan base across the country. Notre Dame has recently joined the ACC for non-football sports.

Any Tampa-area Notre Dame fans that go out to see the ACC baseball tournament will have a rare opportunity to see their favorite team playing ACC baseball. Newspaper coverage. TV news coverage. Merchandise sales. Everything builds the ACC brand, even if in smaller increments when "compared" to the ACC football championship game.

Keep living in your own small mind. Keep believing that we should permanently base the ACC baseball tournament in Durham, NC so that a few thousand people can commute to the games. Ignore the massive non-Carolinas footprint of the ACC.

That's the same genius thinking that comes from the bright guys who gave our football games to Jefferson Pilot.

After seeing the 35 people at Wake Forest's ballpark last night, I realized that you were spot on. People would flock to any city to watch ACC baseball on a weeknight.

Why not rotate it from the Carolinas to Florida instead of the same spot? Durham, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Myrtle Beach, Charleston wherever to keep the “money” all around. Ah who the **** knows.

Semper Canes!!!

Advertisement
Greenville, SC would be a great spot.

They used to have it there years ago but mike Martin cried and whined it gave Clemson too much advantage

It's a nice stadium. They have built the field to resemble Fenway, complete with a version of the Green Monster.

Some baseball history there too, Shoeless Joe Jackson Museum.

After seeing the 35 people at Wake Forest's ballpark last night, I realized that you were spot on. People would flock to any city to watch ACC baseball on a weeknight.

Let me see if I can sum up your idiocy.

You are whining about a Monday night game (that followed Miami beating Wake on Friday and Saturday, with an inexplicable Sunday off-day). You are citing the one school in the ACC that has a smaller enrollment than Miami. And the total attendance was 644, though the TV cameras featured quite a few Miami fans.

So, for that, you are knocking a proposal to move the ACC tournament around, and you falsely imply that I said fans would "flock" to watch ACC baseball on a weeknight, when I only said that the ACC could match (or exceed) the paltry few thousand who show up to Durham, NC for the ACC tournament.

Yeah, every time you try to "argue", you destroy your own argument with exaggerations, falsehoods, and terrible examples.

Let me see if I can sum up your idiocy.

You are whining about a Monday night game (that followed Miami beating Wake on Friday and Saturday, with an inexplicable Sunday off-day). You are citing the one school in the ACC that has a smaller enrollment than Miami. And the total attendance was 644, though the TV cameras featured quite a few Miami fans.

So, for that, you are knocking a proposal to move the ACC tournament around, and you falsely imply that I said fans would "flock" to watch ACC baseball on a weeknight, when I only said that the ACC could match (or exceed) the paltry few thousand who show up to Durham, NC for the ACC tournament.

Yeah, every time you try to "argue", you destroy your own argument with exaggerations, falsehoods, and terrible examples.

Riled up again. I love it.

Yeah, there were 644 people there. They just all happened to be hiding underneath the stands, right?

Tell us again how many people are going to show up to watch the ACC Tournament in Pittsburgh or Atlanta when half the teams in the ACC can't get people to show up for home games. Also, please remind us how the MLB team is going to spend thousands on game day expenses......while not charging admission.

We have a marketing genius among us.

Riled up again. I love it.

Yeah, there were 644 people there. They just all happened to be hiding underneath the stands, right?

Tell us again how many people are going to show up to watch the ACC Tournament in Pittsburgh or Atlanta when half the teams in the ACC can't get people to show up for home games. Also, please remind us how the MLB team is going to spend thousands on game day expenses......while not charging admission.

We have a marketing genius among us.

I'm at work, and not riled up in the least. You are such a buffoon that it is easy to thrash your ridiculous posts. At least you've learned your lesson about posting on the football board, where a ton of more-informed posters would destroy you, now you just plague the baseball board, where fewer people can expose your nonsense.

Again, you jump from Wake Forest (smallest enrollment in the ACC) to "half the teams in the ACC". Also, as I made clear, my suggestions are not predicated on all of the college-town homers travelling, while your "keep-it-in-Durham" stupidity does.

As for "the MLB team", you are aware that most stadiums are owned separately from the various teams that play in those venues. It is up to each venue to book events beyond 81 MLB games or 41 home NBA/NHL games.

As for the "thousands on game day expenses", again, I point out the fact that Camping World Stadium opened its club level and lower-level concession stands for UM's spring game, for which the tickets are free.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Advertisement
I'm at work, and not riled up in the least. You are such a buffoon that it is easy to thrash your ridiculous posts. At least you've learned your lesson about posting on the football board, where a ton of more-informed posters would destroy you, now you just plague the baseball board, where fewer people can expose your nonsense.

Again, you jump from Wake Forest (smallest enrollment in the ACC) to "half the teams in the ACC". Also, as I made clear, my suggestions are not predicated on all of the college-town homers travelling, while your "keep-it-in-Durham" stupidity does.

As for "the MLB team", you are aware that most stadiums are owned separately from the various teams that play in those venues. It is up to each venue to book events beyond 81 MLB games or 41 home NBA/NHL games.

As for the "thousands on game day expenses", again, I point out the fact that Camping World Stadium opened its club level and lower-level concession stands for UM's spring game, for which the tickets are free.

When he's sleeping...

Actually, you did suggest that 300 people per school would make the trip. In any event, you haven't offered a shred of evidence that people in whatever city will show up for the freaking ACC baseball tournament.

Right, which requires cooperation from the MLB team that just happens to be in-season. Also, the owner of the venue isn't running a charity. That's why your "free ticket" abomination is such a horrible idea. Thousands of dollars in game day expenses, and let's just hope that people show up at 11:00 AM on Wednesday and buy beer.

The fact that you continue to compare a one-day event to a six-day tournament shows how far removed you are from understanding college baseball. Plus, you have no idea how much UM paid to rent the stadium. Now tell PNC Park that you're not allowed to charge admission for six days worth of games, and we're just not sure how many people will attend. They will jump at that peach of an idea.

The more you post, the more confident I am that you're clueless about college baseball.

Here's the proposal to SunTrust Park in Atlanta:

We need your MLB team to request to be on the road from May 20th through May 26th
We will play 15 games in six days, during your season, on the field that you are trying to keep pristine
We need lights for at least five of those games
You will have to provide security, ushers, concession workers, parking attendants, press box workers, ground crew, etc. from 8:00 am through 11:00 pm Tuesday through Saturday, and 9:00 AM through 4:00 PM on Sunday
You will not be able to sell tickets
We have no idea how many people from each school will travel, nor do we know how many locals will show up

Sounds enticing.

Advertisement
Actually, you did suggest that 300 people per school would make the trip. In any event, you haven't offered a shred of evidence that people in whatever city will show up for the freaking ACC baseball tournament.

Right, which requires cooperation from the MLB team that just happens to be in-season. Also, the owner of the venue isn't running a charity. That's why your "free ticket" abomination is such a horrible idea. Thousands of dollars in game day expenses, and let's just hope that people show up at 11:00 AM on Wednesday and buy beer.

The fact that you continue to compare a one-day event to a six-day tournament shows how far removed you are from understanding college baseball. Plus, you have no idea how much UM paid to rent the stadium. Now tell PNC Park that you're not allowed to charge admission for six days worth of games, and we're just not sure how many people will attend. They will jump at that peach of an idea.

The more you post, the more confident I am that you're clueless about college baseball.

Not only are you non-intelligent, but you are a liar as well.

I said that if each conference team sold 300 full-week tickets, that would replace all of the Durham retirees who you boast about. Some may sell more than 300, some may sell less, but you are bizarrely fixated on "Wake Forest", the smallest of all the ACC schools.

OH MY GOD, an MLB team has to schedule a 6-day road trip? UNHEARD OF.

Hurricane Club members showed up at 9 am at the event prior to the Spring Game. THE BAR WAS BUSY.

Finally, you are also fixated on the ticket price. As I have pointed out previously, the rough ticket price per game in Metropolitan Durham is $10. Holding the game in a real stadium doesn't mean we can suddenly charge $100 per game. What I have made clear, very clear, is that the gate revenue for the ACC baseball tournament is microscopic, and easily replaceable by other revenue, particularly if we run our games on the ACC Network (and, I don't know, SELL ADS).

Sum it all up. You are just a grumpy cvnty mess who is trying to find fault with any and every suggestion for how to raise the profile of ACC baseball and NCAA baseball generally. If you are content with nearly zero TV coverage, crowds of a couple thousand, no newspaper coverage, etc., then fine, sign a 100-year lease with the Durham stadium and offer a special week-long ticket package at all of the retirement communities in the Carolinas.

I've given other examples, and you empty your bowels on everything. At one point, the NFL draft was held in one room, now it takes up entire city blocks. Think big, for once in your miserable pathetic life.

There are issues to address. I have made suggestions, not guarantees. But if you want to act as if a few thousand people with colostomy bags in Durham is the height of what we can accomplish in ACC baseball, that's on you.

Here's the proposal to SunTrust Park in Atlanta:

We need your MLB team to request to be on the road from May 20th through May 26th
We will play 15 games in six days, during your season, on the field that you are trying to keep pristine
We need lights for at least five of those games
You will have to provide security, ushers, concession workers, parking attendants, press box workers, ground crew, etc. from 8:00 am through 11:00 pm Tuesday through Saturday, and 9:00 AM through 4:00 PM on Sunday
You will not be able to sell tickets
We have no idea how many people from each school will travel, nor do we know how many locals will show up

Sounds enticing.

Oh, what a tall order.

A week-long road trip. IMPOSSIBLE. UNPRECEDENTED.

Grounds crews handling 15 games in 6 days? HOW INSANE, WHO COULD HANDLE IT?

Lights? NOW YOU ARE JUST INVENTING PROBLEMS.

Security/ushers/concession workers/parking attendants/press box workers/ground crew? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE PEOPLE GET PAID? HINT, IT'S NOT MUCH. AND YOU STILL NEED TO HIRE THOSE PEOPLE IN DURHAM, WITH VERY LITTLE REVENUE. I HAVE ALREADY PROVEN THAT IF YOU SOLD EVERY WEEK-LONG PACKAGE, YOU ARE STILL LOOKING AT $600K TO $700K OF REVENUE THAT WOULD BE FOREGONE. ****, IF YOU PUT IT IN A MAJOR LEAGUE STADIUM, YOU COULD SELL THE FIELD-LEVEL SEATS AND CLUB-LEVEL SEATS, AND GIVE AWAY THE UPPER DECK, AND THE CONCESSIONS REVENUE WOULD SKYROCKET.

You will not be able to sell tickets? JUST ADDRESSED THAT.

We have no idea how many people from each school will travel? OH, WOW, IT WOULD BECOME SOME VASTLY DIFFERENT NUMBER IF WE MOVED THE TOURNAMENT TO ATLANTA FROM DURHAM. OR JACKSONVILLE FROM DURHAM. OH, WAIT, THAT'S A LOAD OF BULLSH!TE.

You need to take your Metamucil and get ready for dinner at 4 pm, you cranky old whiner.

I said that if each conference team sold 300 full-week tickets, that would replace all of the Durham retirees who you boast about. Some may sell more than 300, some may sell less, but you are bizarrely fixated on "Wake Forest", the smallest of all the ACC schools.

Right, and it is absurd to think that every ACC school would sell 300 full-week tickets. Not sure where the confusion is.

OH MY GOD, an MLB team has to schedule a 6-day road trip? UNHEARD OF.

Which was one part of about seven requirements. I win again.

Hurricane Club members showed up at 9 am at the event prior to the Spring Game. THE BAR WAS BUSY.

So what? You still think football = baseball, which is why you are getting killed on this topic.

Finally, you are also fixated on the ticket price. As I have pointed out previously, the rough ticket price per game in Metropolitan Durham is $10. Holding the game in a real stadium doesn't mean we can suddenly charge $100 per game. What I have made clear, very clear, is that the gate revenue for the ACC baseball tournament is microscopic, and easily replaceable by other revenue, particularly if we run our games on the ACC Network (and, I don't know, SELL ADS).

Clueless. The MLB stadium isn't going to foot the bill so that the ACC can make ad revenue on the ACC Network. You still haven't explained why this stadium is going to be the least bit interested in going out of its way to run this tournament so that they can watch 250 people show up for an 11:00 AM weekday game.

Sum it all up. You are just a grumpy cvnty mess who is trying to find fault with any and every suggestion for how to raise the profile of ACC baseball and NCAA baseball generally. If you are content with nearly zero TV coverage, crowds of a couple thousand, no newspaper coverage, etc., then fine, sign a 100-year lease with the Durham stadium and offer a special week-long ticket package at all of the retirement communities in the Carolinas.

I've given other examples, and you empty your bowels on everything. At one point, the NFL draft was held in one room, now it takes up entire city blocks. Think big, for once in your miserable pathetic life.

There are issues to address. I have made suggestions, not guarantees. But if you want to act as if a few thousand people with colostomy bags in Durham is the height of what we can accomplish in ACC baseball, that's on you.

I find fault with every suggestion because you make stupid suggestions. Free tickets to watch Virgina Tech and NC State at PNC Park on Thursday morning. Just brilliant.

Oh, what a tall order.

A week-long road trip. IMPOSSIBLE. UNPRECEDENTED.

Grounds crews handling 15 games in 6 days? HOW INSANE, WHO COULD HANDLE IT?

Lights? NOW YOU ARE JUST INVENTING PROBLEMS.

Security/ushers/concession workers/parking attendants/press box workers/ground crew? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE PEOPLE GET PAID? HINT, IT'S NOT MUCH. AND YOU STILL NEED TO HIRE THOSE PEOPLE IN DURHAM, WITH VERY LITTLE REVENUE. I HAVE ALREADY PROVEN THAT IF YOU SOLD EVERY WEEK-LONG PACKAGE, YOU ARE STILL LOOKING AT $600K TO $700K OF REVENUE THAT WOULD BE FOREGONE. ****, IF YOU PUT IT IN A MAJOR LEAGUE STADIUM, YOU COULD SELL THE FIELD-LEVEL SEATS AND CLUB-LEVEL SEATS, AND GIVE AWAY THE UPPER DECK, AND THE CONCESSIONS REVENUE WOULD SKYROCKET.

You will not be able to sell tickets? JUST ADDRESSED THAT.

We have no idea how many people from each school will travel? OH, WOW, IT WOULD BECOME SOME VASTLY DIFFERENT NUMBER IF WE MOVED THE TOURNAMENT TO ATLANTA FROM DURHAM. OR JACKSONVILLE FROM DURHAM. OH, WAIT, THAT'S A LOAD OF BULLSH!TE.

You need to take your Metamucil and get ready for dinner at 4 pm, you cranky old whiner.

Pure comedy. He went from "give away tickets because gate revenue is microscopic" to "sell week long packages and club seats and make $700K". So in one post, you have to give away tickets because it's about building the ACC brand. In the next post, we all of a sudden have people who want to travel during the week to watch a meaningless tournament, and they're going to buy field-level and club-level seats to watch it.

Did you really just mention upper deck? In a 40,000 seat stadium? You think thousands and thousands of people are going to show up for this thing, don't you.

FYI, lights in a major league stadium are an enormous expense. Feel free to ask any questions when you're not sure.
Also, FYI, a hundred people making $10 an hour for a week-long tournament is around $80,000. Just for workers, period. Just sell beer, right?

Advertisement
Back