Durham to no longer host the ACC tourney

Holy ****. I'm done bro. But you know what? I'd rather go visit Pittsburgh in late May than Durham, NC. At least there's things to go do and see in Pitt if your team gets eliminated. WTF is someone supposed to do in Durham when not watching their team?

But, like I said, I'm done, you win. Central North Carolina is absolutely the only place that cares for baseball and all ACC baseball games (not just ACC tournament, but regular season games too) should be played in the State of North Carolina. Durham, NC gets 43k to attend 16 games over 5 days, which is more than the combined attendance of all non-NC ACC baseball teams combined, so playing baseball games outside of the state of NC is a recipe for not just failure, but disaster. I'm convinced.

bc9ce3b3a86000616cbed8fb61a46c77.jpg

Or like playing checkers with a Chimpanzee......................

When you reach the end of the Board and ask to be crowned, the chimp eats your chip......

That is why I have the buffoon on Ignore.

Advertisement
Bull**** conjecture. There's a lot more people in Boston than there are in Durham. Even if it's 0.01% of Bostonites that will go to an ACC baseball game vs. 10% of Durhamers, Boston would still put more butts in the stands. This is a horrible argument.

Boston is an MLB town. They couldn't care less about college baseball. Aren't you the guy who didn't even know that Syracuse doesn't play baseball? Leave this to the grown ups.

That's because you are stupid.

Notre Dame has a huge alumni/fan base across the country. Notre Dame has recently joined the ACC for non-football sports.

Any Tampa-area Notre Dame fans that go out to see the ACC baseball tournament will have a rare opportunity to see their favorite team playing ACC baseball. Newspaper coverage. TV news coverage. Merchandise sales. Everything builds the ACC brand, even if in smaller increments when "compared" to the ACC football championship game.

Keep living in your own small mind. Keep believing that we should permanently base the ACC baseball tournament in Durham, NC so that a few thousand people can commute to the games. Ignore the massive non-Carolinas footprint of the ACC.

That's the same genius thinking that comes from the bright guys who gave our football games to Jefferson Pilot.

Notre Dame gets 400 people for their home games. But all of a sudden the Irish fans around the country are going to show up to watch them play Wake Forest?

You know so little about college baseball that you actually thought you had a point.

This is just stupid. You are whining because the 64th best team in the country doesn't "travel well" to some random regional location that was selected about a week before the games.

For the ACC baseball tournament, if each school even sold THREE HUNDRED tickets for the full 15-game slate, that would equate to 4,200 tickets sold (even if some are no-shows) and you would barely need to sell a single ticket to a local before you've already smashed the "Durham attendance record".

I think that most ACC schools could find 300 "diehards or retirees" who would go the ACC baseball tournament. Even "mid-week".

64th? When you have to resort to hyperbole, you've lost. Watch any #2 vs #3 seed game. The place is empty except for the #1 seed's fans who have nothing else to do on Friday afternoon.

There are ACC schools that don't get 500 fans for their home games. But you think 300 are going to travel for a meaningless tournament.

By the way, why are you talking about selling tickets? All the tickets are free, right? And the host venue just has to hope for concession sales.

Advertisement
Yeah, Jagr is a real clown show. Knows nothing, but will keep arguing long after he has been decimated.

All the major ACC championships need to rotate, football, basketball, baseball-softball. We don't need to keep doing everything in North Carolina so that we can make a few thousand retirees happy.

You do know that the ACC football championship has been held in Tampa, Jax, and Orlando, right? Any guess as to why it's not held in those locales any more? It ain't because the league is trying to ***** UM and suck up to tobacco road.

It's all about attendance and money.

Attendance was middle-of-the road at the Tampa and Jax games in the mid-2000s, and was downright pitiful in 2016, when the game moved to Orlando for a year. Attendance has been solid-to-great most years in Charlotte, so it'll likely stay there.

You hold the champ games in the area that you're most likely to get the largest crowds--which, for the ACC, means cities within the closest proximity to the most schools--ie, somewhere in the NC region.

No different for baseball.

Yeah, Jagr is a real clown show. Knows nothing, but will keep arguing long after he has been decimated.

All the major ACC championships need to rotate, football, basketball, baseball-softball. We don't need to keep doing everything in North Carolina so that we can make a few thousand retirees happy.

Yeah, let's listen to the guy who wants to play in MLB stadiums while giving away free tickets. Sounds like a real winner for the MLB team. Spend thousands on game day expenses while hoping that the 75 Virginia Tech fans buy a whole lot of beer.

Notre Dame gets 400 people for their home games. But all of a sudden the Irish fans around the country are going to show up to watch them play Wake Forest?

You know so little about college baseball that you actually thought you had a point.

Again, I hate to side with you here, but these dudes are either dumb or nuts. Or both. Totally illogical arguments.

Advertisement
Again, I hate to side with you here, but these dudes are either dumb or nuts. Or both. Totally illogical arguments.

I don't doubt their passion for the Canes, but I just don't think they get the dynamics of college baseball. It's just not a sport that people travel to watch.

Nothing against Jax, but the plus of having it in Durham is that it's convenient to fans of several schools. UNC, Duke, NCSU, Wake, Clemson, UVA, and VA Tech are all within 150 miles, GT is a couple hours further down the road, but still driveable.

That means a good number of butts in seats.

Jax won't be getting those numbers.

As much as I would love to have the tourney in Florida, and there are several great venues for it, having it in Carolina area is a bit more logical.

Advertisement
Just hope they dont put it in a MLB stadium. The stadium in Durham created a lot of exciting games, as it is really built for offense. If they move it to a cavernous MLB park there's going to be a lot of boring baseball

actually, this is a good point.

but I would say, in fairness, it's probably best for competitive balance if the ballpark isn't skewed too heavily towards the hitters or the pitchers. that being said, something that is slightly more friendly to the offenses are usually better for the fans.

Truthfully, I could care less about the ACC tourney, It is basicially meaningless but can keep your team sharp before you play in the NCAA tourney.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back