Durham to no longer host the ACC tourney

There are minor league teams all over Florida. There are kids who play baseball, and coaches who would bring those kids out to games.

People in Florida don't even go to MLB games, much less minor league games. Stupid point, as expected. People in Florida aren't taking their kids to see two random ACC teams.

Good lord, they have more than 5,000 people EVERY DAY who go to some sort of mid-week sporting event at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando. Doesn't matter what it is. Cheerleading? Yep. Volleyball? Yep. Quidditch. Yep. Every single day of the year. Even MID-WEEK.

Yeah, those people are called parents. Another stupid point.

Advertisement
Are you joking? What governing body ever gives out that kind of information after they have selected a city?

Any and every governing body that is subject to any kind of accountability or standards for transparency. If you hold a bid process, but aren't accountable to explain, objectively, why the mayor's largest donor won the bid, you typically land in some hot water eventually. Look up and read some articles on "JEA new HQ search" for a recent example from my hometown of Jacksonville.

Or, maybe you've heard of this one in the news already? Try typing "Amazon HQ2 search" into your google bar and see if anything comes up.

I'm honestly surprised at this conversation.

Cheers, man.

It's almost as if you've never heard of how we did things at the spring game In Orlando.

Tickets were free.

You had to pay for parking. You had to pay for concessions. You had to pay for merch. You had to pay if you went to the Hurricane Club event. Some people traveled to Orlando and stayed in hotels and ate in restaurants.

You are truly ignorant.

He really is comparing a one time spring football game to the ACC baseball tournament. Like, he's really doing that.

Any and every governing body that is subject to any kind of accountability or standards for transparency. If you hold a bid process, but aren't accountable to explain, objectively, why the mayor's largest donor won the bid, you typically land in some hot water eventually. Look up and read some articles on "JEA new HQ search" for a recent example from my hometown of Jacksonville.

Or, maybe you've heard of this one in the news already? Try typing "Amazon HQ2 search" into your google bar and see if anything comes up.

I'm honestly surprised at this conversation.

Cheers, man.

Remember, you're the one who doesn't even think they accept bids. Like they just picked Jacksonville since, you know, they're just trying to put everything in the Carolinas.

Advertisement
"Hey, let's do a weekend getaway to Pittsburgh to see the ACC tournament, even though only four teams will be left on Saturday and we have no idea if our team will even still be there."

:zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:

Come to Jacksonville instead. It's really nice in May and if your team is eliminated before the weekend, you can head over to the beach or take a short drive down to Orlando to visit the rat. What is there to do in Durham, NC after your team is eliminated?

Come to Jacksonville instead. It's really nice in May and if your team is eliminated before the weekend, you can head over to the beach or take a short drive down to Orlando to visit the rat. What is there to do in Durham, NC after your team is eliminated?

So now it's just Jacksonville? I thought you guys wanted to rotate it among ACC cities?

Advertisement
He really is comparing a one time spring football game to the ACC baseball tournament. Like, he's really doing that.

You clearly do not understand how "examples" (not "comparisons") work.

Lots of events generate revenue beyond the price of a ticket. Not everything works like Disney World.

Florida Citrus Sports signed a contract with UM for the spring game that generated zero revenue from tickets. That's a fact. And it's an example, not a comparison.

It's almost as if you've never heard of how we did things at the spring game In Orlando.

Tickets were free.

You had to pay for parking. You had to pay for concessions. You had to pay for merch. You had to pay if you went to the Hurricane Club event. Some people traveled to Orlando and stayed in hotels and ate in restaurants.

You are truly ignorant.

I wonder why ANYONE charges for tickets. Mind-boggling, right?

You clearly do not understand how "examples" (not "comparisons") work.

Lots of events generate revenue beyond the price of a ticket. Not everything works like Disney World.

Florida Citrus Sports signed a contract with UM for the spring game that generated zero revenue from tickets. That's a fact. And it's an example, not a comparison.

Great, but what if no one comes to your "free" event, like that 11:00 am game at Marlins Park?

Just watch any regional game when the host isn't playing. There is no one in the stands. And those games actually mean something. But this guy thinks people are going to travel to watch the meaningless ACC baseball tournament.

Advertisement
Thank you for proving my point. Die hards will drive 100 miles to watch their team in the tournament. The same die hards might fly to Boston to watch their team in the tournament. But people who actually live in Boston aren't driving over to watch UNC and FSU the way people in Durham will.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but you should try to be realistic.

Bull**** conjecture. There's a lot more people in Boston than there are in Durham. Even if it's 0.01% of Bostonites that will go to an ACC baseball game vs. 10% of Durhamers, Boston would still put more butts in the stands. This is a horrible argument.

Add to the equation rotating the event, so that it isn't in the same place every year, and you are even more likely to get more butts in seats based on novelty factor. I know that here in Jacksonville, they sold out like crazy for the opening round NCAA tourney basketball games, and I know lots of people who planned to take Thursday and Friday off to go watch the games even though it wasn't their teams playing. That effect would obviously be less for baseball, but it would still be there.

No word on how Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame at Tropicana Field is going to build the ACC brand.

That's because you are stupid.

Notre Dame has a huge alumni/fan base across the country. Notre Dame has recently joined the ACC for non-football sports.

Any Tampa-area Notre Dame fans that go out to see the ACC baseball tournament will have a rare opportunity to see their favorite team playing ACC baseball. Newspaper coverage. TV news coverage. Merchandise sales. Everything builds the ACC brand, even if in smaller increments when "compared" to the ACC football championship game.

Keep living in your own small mind. Keep believing that we should permanently base the ACC baseball tournament in Durham, NC so that a few thousand people can commute to the games. Ignore the massive non-Carolinas footprint of the ACC.

That's the same genius thinking that comes from the bright guys who gave our football games to Jefferson Pilot.

Just watch any regional game when the host isn't playing. There is no one in the stands. And those games actually mean something. But this guy thinks people are going to travel to watch the meaningless ACC baseball tournament.

This is just stupid. You are whining because the 64th best team in the country doesn't "travel well" to some random regional location that was selected about a week before the games.

For the ACC baseball tournament, if each school even sold THREE HUNDRED tickets for the full 15-game slate, that would equate to 4,200 tickets sold (even if some are no-shows) and you would barely need to sell a single ticket to a local before you've already smashed the "Durham attendance record".

I think that most ACC schools could find 300 "diehards or retirees" who would go the ACC baseball tournament. Even "mid-week".

Advertisement
So now it's just Jacksonville? I thought you guys wanted to rotate it among ACC cities?

Holy ****. I'm done bro. But you know what? I'd rather go visit Pittsburgh in late May than Durham, NC. At least there's things to go do and see in Pitt if your team gets eliminated. WTF is someone supposed to do in Durham when not watching their team?

But, like I said, I'm done, you win. Central North Carolina is absolutely the only place that cares for baseball and all ACC baseball games (not just ACC tournament, but regular season games too) should be played in the State of North Carolina. Durham, NC gets 43k to attend 16 games over 5 days, which is more than the combined attendance of all non-NC ACC baseball teams combined, so playing baseball games outside of the state of NC is a recipe for not just failure, but disaster. I'm convinced.

bc9ce3b3a86000616cbed8fb61a46c77.jpg

Nothing against Jax, but the plus of having it in Durham is that it's convenient to fans of several schools. UNC, Duke, NCSU, Wake, Clemson, UVA, and VA Tech are all within 150 miles, GT is a couple hours further down the road, but still driveable.

That means a good number of butts in seats.

Jax won't be getting those numbers.
It also means a biased audience for the rest of the "non-area" teams.

Yeah, Jagr is a real clown show. Knows nothing, but will keep arguing long after he has been decimated.

All the major ACC championships need to rotate, football, basketball, baseball-softball. We don't need to keep doing everything in North Carolina so that we can make a few thousand retirees happy.

Just hope they dont put it in a MLB stadium. The stadium in Durham created a lot of exciting games, as it is really built for offense. If they move it to a cavernous MLB park there's going to be a lot of boring baseball

Advertisement
Back