Durham to no longer host the ACC tourney

Greenville, S.C., Jacksonville, Fla., Charlotte and Winston-Salem have submitted bids — or expressed serious interest — to hold the event in minor-league ballparks in those cities.

Advertisement
I wouldn't care if we made all the ACC baseball tournament tickets free (and passed on the $10,000 of revenue), just move the tournament around to major league stadiums and let all the baseball fans come out and see the ACC in action. Maybe then we would have a whole generation of kids who don't mind taking 30% scholarship equivalencies to play NCAA baseball.

Major League stadiums? So you want the ACC baseball tournament to be played in St. Pete and Miami, where fans don't even go to watch the MLB teams that play there, and Atlanta. Boy, you solved that one.

And surely you recognize the financial benefits to the league of hosting a baseball tourney in NC instead of FL.

Since you know soooo much about these "financial benefits to the league", please quantify that.

Look,, I know what the economics are for baseball at Mark Light. Tickets are dirt cheap, the concessions don't make nearly as much money as they do in MLB, and there's almost no TV revenue.

But this is what we have to deal with, a bunch of "I live in North Carolina" posters getting ****y because we talk about the terrible power structure of the ACC.

This is NOT to say that NC would never get any championship games, only that NC should only get games in proportion to their representation in the league. Thus, if 4 of the 14 teams are based in NC, then less than 30% of the league championships should be held in NC.

Florida. Georgia. Virginia. New York. Massachusetts. Pennsylvania. Indiana. These are all sizable states with large metropolitan areas that would be perfect locations for one or more of the football/basketball/baseball championship games or tournaments.

Fvck competitive bidding. The ACC should be taking an active role in trying to place championship games in all of these locations. The reason we go to crappy bowl games in Boise, Idaho is to get the ACC brand out there across the country. We should be doing the same, within our footprint, for our championship games.

Stop whining about "but I'm from North Carolina, stop badmouthing the place where I live". That's not what is going on. We are damning the historical Tobacco Road Mafia crew who run our conference into the dirt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Charlotte Knights hope to stave off International League rivals Durham and Louisville — not on the field, but for the Atlantic Coast Conference baseball tournament. Dan Rajkowski, Knights chief operating officer, told CBJ the Triple-A minor league team intends to bid to host the tournament beginning with the 2020 season. Representatives from the ACC and the International League confirmed anticipated bids from all three teams.

Thanks. Source/date and other cities that bid, or were asked or offered the opportunity to bid?

Since you know soooo much about these "financial benefits to the league", please quantify that.

Look,, I know what the economics are for baseball at Mark Light. Tickets are dirt cheap, the concessions don't make nearly as much money as they do in MLB, and there's almost no TV revenue.

But this is what we have to deal with, a bunch of "I live in North Carolina" posters getting ****y because we talk about the terrible power structure of the ACC.

This is NOT to say that NC would never get any championship games, only that NC should only get games in proportion to their representation in the league. Thus, if 4 of the 14 teams are based in NC, then less than 25% of the league championships should be held in NC.

Florida. Georgia. Virginia. New York. Massachusetts. Pennsylvania. Indiana. These are all sizable states with large metropolitan areas that would be perfect locations for one or more of the football/basketball/baseball championship games or tournaments.

Fvck competitive bidding. The ACC should be taking an active role in trying to place championship games in all of these locations. The reason we go to crappy bowl games in Boise, Idaho is to get the ACC brand out there across the country. We should be doing the same, within our footprint, for our championship games.

Stop whining about "but I'm from North Carolina, stop badmouthing the place where I live". That's not what is going on. We are damning the historical Tobacco Road Mafia crew who run our conference into the dirt.

This guy gets it.

Major League stadiums? So you want the ACC baseball tournament to be played in St. Pete and Miami, where fans don't even go to watch the MLB teams that play there, and Atlanta. Boy, you solved that one.

Typical buffoonery from you.

It's not my fault that ownership in St. Pete and Miami regularly dismantle those MLB franchises.

But there are thousands of baseball fans in those big cities who would come out to see free games (since we make nearly nothing from the ACC baseball tournament as it is currently structured). ****, we got almost 10,000 to come out in Orlando for a football scrimmage.

And that doesn't even count the fans who would certainly take a nice weekend visit to a decent big city NOT named "Durham, NC".

The stupidity of yourself and the Carolina-centric posters is beyond compare. You are going to svck **** over getting a predictable 5,000 people to Durham, NC while mocking any effort to build the ACC brand outside of the Carolinas.

Typical. Go do some more auto-erotic asphyxiation while you are stroking it to RPI numbers from 2015.

Oh thank goodness. I know I'm right when TheOriginalCane is on the other side of an issue.

Says the guy who started a projections thread that, literally, nobody posted in.

The disparity between your number of postings and the respect that people have for you is enormous. Never has someone said so much about which people care so little.

Advertisement
Typical buffoonery from you.

It's not my fault that ownership in St. Pete and Miami regularly dismantle those MLB franchises.

But there are thousands of baseball fans in those big cities who would come out to see free games (since we make nearly nothing from the ACC baseball tournament as it is currently structured). ****, we got almost 10,000 to come out in Orlando for a football scrimmage.

And that doesn't even count the fans who would certainly take a nice weekend visit to a decent big city NOT named "Durham, NC".

The stupidity of yourself and the Carolina-centric posters is beyond compare. You are going to svck **** over getting a predictable 5,000 people to Durham, NC while mocking any effort to build the ACC brand outside of the Carolinas.

Typical. Go do some more auto-erotic asphyxiation while you are stroking it to RPI numbers from 2015.

I know this is a blowout by how emotional you're getting.

You're actually trying to "build the ACC brand" within the current ACC footprint by trying to play college baseball games on weekdays in May in various cities. You're not a marketing guy, are you.

Says the guy who started a projections thread that, literally, nobody posted in.

Why would anyone need to post in the projections thread? It is information, not a controversy.

The disparity between your number of postings and the respect that people have for you is enormous. Never has someone said so much about which people care so little.

Yet here you are.

Greenville, S.C., Jacksonville, Fla., Charlotte and Winston-Salem have submitted bids — or expressed serious interest — to hold the event in minor-league ballparks in those cities.

Makes it sound as if at least some of the cities mentioned expressed unsolicited interest. As in, the ACC didn't ask us to bid, but we're interested if they would listen to us.

Is the ACC sending out press releases announcing a bid and selection process and inviting every town, city, and municipality within the ACC footprint to bid, then presenting an analysis of the strong points and weak points of each of the short list finalists and then announcing the winning bid along with the revenue guarantee provided by the winning bidder in announcing the selection for the host city?

If they are not doing that, and I know (at least I think I know but am willing to be proven wrong) they didn't for football, we're arguing semantics.

@TheOriginalCane is right. At some point, the conference needs to recognize the benefit of going to where their teams are as well. Lots of games should still be held in NC, but they shouldn't get automatic preference, no-bid contracts, or bid-only-against-your-neighboring-town contracts.

It’s great to have the tournament here, but moving it around is a good idea. Would be pretty cool to have at SunTrust Park, Fenway, Miami, etc. if it’s not bringing in enough for each school to justify leaving it alone

Advertisement

Have you even bothered to look at the ACC Baseball Tournament schedule? You can't plan a "weekend" to the ACC baseball tournament.

I know this is a blowout by how emotional you're getting.

You're actually trying to "build the ACC brand" within the current ACC footprint by trying to play college baseball games on weekdays in May in various cities. You're not a marketing guy, are you.

Oh, you're so riiiiight. Nobody goes to "weekday" baseball games. Nobody takes a couple of days off to see their alma maters play in postseason tournaments. There's no way in **** that any big city could exceed 5,000 of attendance for college baseball games with free tickets.

I'm not emotional at all. Perfectly logical. You're the little *****-boy who is acting as if no other city could possibly get more than 5,000 people to a baseball tournament.

Take that Carolina **** out of your mouth and just deal with the fact that there are 10 other programs in the league, and plenty of other baseball fans outside of a hundred-mile radius of Durham motherfvcking North Carolina.

Makes it sound as if at least some of the cities mentioned expressed unsolicited interest. As in, the ACC didn't ask us to bid, but we're interested if they would listen to us.

Is the ACC sending out press releases announcing a bid and selection process and inviting every town, city, and municipality within the ACC footprint to bid, then presenting an analysis of the strong points and weak points of each of the short list finalists and then announcing the winning bid along with the revenue guarantee provided by the winning bidder in announcing the selection for the host city?

If they are not doing that, and I know (at least I think I know but am willing to be proven wrong) they didn't for football, we're arguing semantics.

@TheOriginalCane is right. At some point, the conference needs to recognize the benefit of going to where their teams are as well. Lots of games should still be held in NC, but they shouldn't get automatic preference, no-bid contracts, or bid-only-against-your-neighboring-town contracts.

Are you joking? What governing body ever gives out that kind of information after they have selected a city?

Advertisement
Oh, you're so riiiiight. Nobody goes to "weekday" baseball games. Nobody takes a couple of days off to see their alma maters play in postseason tournaments. There's no way in **** that any big city could exceed 5,000 of attendance for college baseball games with free tickets.

I'm not emotional at all. Perfectly logical. You're the little *****-boy who is acting as if no other city could possibly get more than 5,000 people to a baseball tournament.

Take that Carolina **** out of your mouth and just deal with the fact that there are 10 other programs in the league, and plenty of other baseball fans outside of a hundred-mile radius of Durham motherfvcking North Carolina.

Correct. Except for die hards and retirees, college baseball fans do not take Tuesday through Friday off to travel to see the freaking ACC Baseball Tournament. That is exactly right. And that is why the tournament is played where more people can actually drive to a game and then drive home.

I noticed that you went away from the "weekend getaway" theory once I showed you how the bracket works.

Have you even bothered to look at the ACC Baseball Tournament schedule? You can't plan a "weekend" to the ACC baseball tournament.

Typical buffoonery from you. I've forgotten more about college baseball than you've ever known.

I know exactly what dates there are for the ACC baseball tournament. Unlike you, I am aware that there is a 15-game/6-day ticket ($170) as well as a WEEKEND PACKAGE ($50).

But, somehow, you are dancing around your basement as if you have "out-argued" me, simply because you think that everyone who goes to the ACC baseball tournament has to commit to a 6-day stay to watch all 15 games.

So, hey, because you think that you are some sort of marketing genius, why don't you contact the ACC and tell them to stop selling the weekend package, because "you can't plan a 'weekend' to the ACC baseball tournament".

You are, quite literally, one of the simplest buffoons to expose. It's easy. I just use your ignorant words against you.

"Hey, let's do a weekend getaway to Pittsburgh to see the ACC tournament, even though only four teams will be left on Saturday and we have no idea if our team will even still be there."

:zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:

Typical buffoonery from you. I've forgotten more about college baseball than you've ever known.

I know exactly what dates there are for the ACC baseball tournament. Unlike you, I am aware that there is a 15-game/6-day ticket ($170) as well as a WEEKEND PACKAGE ($50).

But, somehow, you are dancing around your basement as if you have "out-argued" me, simply because you think that everyone who goes to the ACC baseball tournament has to commit to a 6-day stay to watch all 15 games.

So, hey, because you think that you are some sort of marketing genius, why don't you contact the ACC and tell them to stop selling the weekend package, because "you can't plan a 'weekend' to the ACC baseball tournament".

You are, quite literally, one of the simplest buffoons to expose. It's easy. I just use your ignorant words against you.

Yes, people will buy a weekend package. People whose teams are still playing on the weekend after Friday's pool play games. Tell me how you plan that romantic getaway to Boston, Pittsburgh, or Atlanta on Saturday morning, once the pool play games are done.

Advertisement
Back