Durham to no longer host the ACC tourney

Correct. Except for die hards and retirees, college baseball fans do not take Tuesday through Friday off to travel to see the freaking ACC Baseball Tournament. That is exactly right. And that is why the tournament is played where more people can actually drive to a game and then drive home.

I noticed that you went away from the "weekend getaway" theory once I showed you how the bracket works.

Are you insane? I never "went away from the 'weekend getaway' theory". And you never "showed anyone how the bracket works".

I realize that your Monday through Friday schedule at McDonald's precludes you from mid-week travel, but that's your problem, not mine.

The ACC sells a "weekend package" to the ACC baseball tournament. They also sell a full-week package. This is not about "driving to a game and then driving home" for 15 games over 6 days. You honestly think that people who buy the 15-game package are commuting 100-200 miles 15 times in 6 days? You've never heard of this thing called a "hotel"? And you think that people are incapable of finding a "hotel" in big cities not named Durham?

Your posts are laughable.

Advertisement
Yes, people will buy a weekend package. People whose teams are still playing on the weekend after Friday's pool play games. Tell me how you plan that romantic getaway to Boston, Pittsburgh, or Atlanta on Saturday morning, once the pool play games are done.

The weekend packages are on sale RIGHT NOW. Not on Thursday night, May 23rd.

People buy tickets to the ACC basketball tournament semis and finals without knowing who will be playing.

You are a joke.

Are you insane? I never "went away from the 'weekend getaway' theory". And you never "showed anyone how the bracket works".

I realize that your Monday through Friday schedule at McDonald's precludes you from mid-week travel, but that's your problem, not mine.

The ACC sells a "weekend package" to the ACC baseball tournament. They also sell a full-week package. This is not about "driving to a game and then driving home" for 15 games over 6 days. You honestly think that people who buy the 15-game package are commuting 100-200 miles 15 times in 6 days? You've never heard of this thing called a "hotel"? And you think that people are incapable of finding a "hotel" in big cities not named Durham?

Your posts are laughable.

Thank you for proving my point. Die hards will drive 100 miles to watch their team in the tournament. The same die hards might fly to Boston to watch their team in the tournament. But people who actually live in Boston aren't driving over to watch UNC and FSU the way people in Durham will.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but you should try to be realistic.

Advertisement
See my permanent quote.

I don't give a ****e about you pulling some out-of-context quote, that had to do with how many football teams COULD (not a prediction, but just mathematically COULD) finish the year ranked ahead of Miami.

It's hilarious to think that you are so emotional that you continue to post a years-old quote from me, as if you somehow scored a point on me. I destroy you, regularly. Your logic is poor. Your facts are non-existent. You are an emotional child who tries to claim victory when you have been defeated.

People laugh at you. And, hey, if that doesn't bother you, good for you. I'm sure that's how you have come to cope with people seeing your tiny ****** at the gym.

Would love to see Marlins Park for the Wednesday afternoon showdown between Wake Forest and Louisville.

I don't give a ****e about you pulling some out-of-context quote, that had to do with how many football teams COULD (not a prediction, but just mathematically COULD) finish the year ranked ahead of Miami.

It's hilarious to think that you are so emotional that you continue to post a years-old quote from me, as if you somehow scored a point on me. I destroy you, regularly. Your logic is poor. Your facts are non-existent. You are an emotional child who tries to claim victory when you have been defeated.

People laugh at you. And, hey, if that doesn't bother you, good for you. I'm sure that's how you have come to cope with people seeing your tiny ****** at the gym.

Don't think for a second that I don't love your emotional instability. You are furious as you look up ACC tournament ticket prices.

Tell me more about that Virginia Tech - NC State game at Tropicana Field on Thursday at 11:00 am and how that is going to build the ACC brand. I'm all ears.

Advertisement
"But there are thousands of baseball fans in those big cities who would come out to see free games (since we make nearly nothing from the ACC baseball tournament as it is currently structured). ****, we got almost 10,000 to come out in Orlando for a football scrimmage."

Florida is a Football Centric State, so getting those numbers is not particularly surprising. But lets face facts. Baseball in Florida, whether you are talking College or pro is not a crowd inducing sport. Almost every school in Fla has a baseball team, but go to any of their games and you only see sparse crowds. The only exceptions are when one of the big 3 are playing each other. Even then, there are empty seats. I live in Fla and would love to see them move the ACC tourney to someplace in the state, but I am realistic enough to know it would not be a financial success.

Show me how many have been sold. Thanks in advance.

I'm not doing the heavy lifting for you. Go to the website. Almost the entire lower bowl between first base and third base is nearly sold out.

But, hey, I'm not the buffoon who talks out of his ****** without doing an ounce of research. That's all you.

I'm not doing the heavy lifting for you. Go to the website. Almost the entire lower bowl between first base and third base is nearly sold out.

But, hey, I'm not the buffoon who talks out of his ****** without doing an ounce of research. That's all you.

That doesn't say how many people bought the weekend package. People who buy the whole tournament package are taking up those seats. Did I really just have to explain that to you?

By the way, those are all locals who are buying those tickets.

I live in Fla and would love to see them move the ACC tourney to someplace in the state, but I am realistic enough to know it would not be a financial success.

Apparently he doesn't care if the ACC loses their shirt since he is even proposing free tickets.

Advertisement
The Rays, with the best record in baseball and the reigning Cy Young winner on the mound, drew <9,000 fans Monday night. But Clemson vs Georgia Tech at 11:00 AM on Tuesday will build the ACC brand. Good stuff.

It feels weird to side with Jagr, but ****, a lot of you guys are really off the mark. I know it feels good to play the "Us against the world" card...but sometimes you guys need to drop the BS and look at things logically. No one's trying to ***** UM here.

Well, I'm not really sure who you're referring to, but to act like the ACC is fair and equitable to all the schools is disingenuous. I also don't see anyone directly referencing Miami, it's the remainder of the conference in general. Even the fans of Wake and NC ST. think the ACC favors Duke and Carolina and you think we're paranoid?

Advertisement
"But there are thousands of baseball fans in those big cities who would come out to see free games (since we make nearly nothing from the ACC baseball tournament as it is currently structured). ****, we got almost 10,000 to come out in Orlando for a football scrimmage."

Florida is a Football Centric State, so getting those numbers is not particularly surprising. But lets face facts. Baseball in Florida, whether you are talking College or pro is not a crowd inducing sport. Almost every school in Fla has a baseball team, but go to any of their games and you only see sparse crowds. The only exceptions are when one of the big 3 are playing each other. Even then, there are empty seats. I live in Fla and would love to see them move the ACC tourney to someplace in the state, but I am realistic enough to know it would not be a financial success.

There are minor league teams all over Florida. There are kids who play baseball, and coaches who would bring those kids out to games.

It's the same half-dozen "oh, there's nothing we can do" crybabies who whine about this, while acting as if Durham, NC is the only place that 5,000 people can come out for a mid-week college baseball game.

At one point, nobody gave a ****e about the NFL draft. Now look at the crowds (even mid-week on a Thursday) who will line the streets to see, basically, a handful of college students putting on nice suits.

Look at what dipsh!tes like Jagr are arguing. That, somehow, there is NOOOOO way to exceed 5,000 in attendance by putting an ACC baseball tournament in a Florida MLB stadium...that there's NOOOOO way that the 4th largest state in the country, with one of the highest number of retirees on the planet, with a bunch of spring training sites, with a bunch of minor league baseball teams, and with our state being one of the top tourist destinations in the country...there is NOOOO way we can cobble together more than 5,000 attendees for a 6-day baseball tournament.

Good lord, they have more than 5,000 people EVERY DAY who go to some sort of mid-week sporting event at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando. Doesn't matter what it is. Cheerleading? Yep. Volleyball? Yep. Quidditch. Yep. Every single day of the year. Even MID-WEEK.

It's always funny to hear know-nothings tell you how something could "never work".

And I'm still waiting to hear about this massive money machine that the ACC baseball tournament represents. Even if you sold 5,000 tickets for the entire tournament at $150 each, that is a whopping $750,000 if you had ZERO expenses. Or about $50K per school (again, pre-expenses, and the reality is that we are lucky to break even).

So, yeah, the whole "give away 25,000 tickets for free and hope to make it up on merch and concessions" is not such a crazy idea.

If it's a true bid then the ACC loses nothing based on attendance, unless they accepted a crappy bid.

My argument is that the $750K in ticket revenue that we forego by giving out free tickets would be more than compensated by all of the other revenue streams and benefits.

What city is going to guarantee a payout to the ACC without having ways to generate revenue?????????

It's almost as if you've never heard of how we did things at the spring game In Orlando.

Tickets were free.

You had to pay for parking. You had to pay for concessions. You had to pay for merch. You had to pay if you went to the Hurricane Club event. Some people traveled to Orlando and stayed in hotels and ate in restaurants.

You are truly ignorant.

Advertisement
Back