Durham to no longer host the ACC tourney

The ACC Baseball Tournament has been held in North Carolina nine times since 2000. The champions from North and South Carolina? Clemson once and UNC once.

That's why you left that stat out.

Advertisement
There are many reasons why people don't flock to College Baseball games. Most teams play in on Campus stadiums. And I use the word Stadium carefully. If ARod had not put money into UM's ballpark, it would still be just like it was. Not a comfortable place to watch a Baseball game. If they had not built a parking garage, you had to scramble to find a parking spot. Outside of the milkshakes, how are the concessions at UM? Since I have not been to other school's ballparks, I can't comment on them. If they are not playing on ESPN3, try and find them on a radio station. WVUM consists of a couple of guys trying to broadcast over their cellphones. When they are not talking about any hot women in the stands, you might actually hear them tell you what is going on in the game. That is if they are not having technical difficulties. Outside of UF & FSU, which games have good attendance?

Go to any major league stadium and you can see the difference immediately. A lot of minor league parks are better than college ballparks. If you follow the money, you know that most schools are not going to spend money to improve their ballparks. College Baseball is in no man's land. They have to compete for the fan's dollar and time with Basketball. Spring Football also takes away fan interest.

There were as many NC-SC champions in four years in Jacksonville as there were in nine years in North Carolina.

This is too easy.

The games did not sell out in either Orlando or Jacksonville. You are really bad at this.

The game didn't sell out in NC last year either, genius. The Clemson-Pitt game sold 7,000 fewer tickets than the Clemson-Miami game the year before.

The point was to show that it is a mathematical impossibility for even a sellout attendance in Orlando or Jacksonville to exceed the sellout attendance in Charlotte. Which I proved.

I freely acknowledge that the ACC-CG attendance is predicated on the teams, NOT THE LOCATION. Thus, there is NO REASON to put the game in Charlotte every year if the attendance is based on THE TEAMS, and not the location. You can move the game around, and you will have a sellout anywhere you play, if you just have 2 solid teams.

The first game in Jacksonville was a sellout because F$U was playing. The very next year, Wake played GaTech, and 10,000 fewer tickets were sold. The next year, BC played VaTech, and another 10,000 fewer tickets were sold. The very next year IN TAMPA, there was a BC-VaTech rematch, which sold just as many tickets in Tampa as were sold in Jax. The final game in Tampa was Clemson-GaTech, with the lowest attendance of all.

All games played in Charlotte have featured either Clemson or F$U from the Atlantic, with either Clemson or F$U winning all but 1. For F$U, 1 of the 4 Charlotte games was a sellout. For Clemson, 3 of the 4 Charlotte games was a sellout.

The reality is that the only guarantee of a football sellout in Charlotte is if Clemson plays. So if the location does not guarantee the sellout, there is no reason not to move the ACC-CG around.

Advertisement
Somehow he disagreed when I just said the same thing.

I didn't disagree, you buffoon. I am saying that there is not a good reason for this, and could easily be addressed by both the NCAA and the ACC. There should not be a massive differential between college baseball and pro baseball.

There are many reasons why people don't flock to College Baseball games. Most teams play in on Campus stadiums. And I use the word Stadium carefully. If ARod had not put money into UM's ballpark, it would still be just like it was. Not a comfortable place to watch a Baseball game. If they had not built a parking garage, you had to scramble to find a parking spot. Outside of the milkshakes, how are the concessions at UM? Since I have not been to other school's ballparks, I can't comment on them. If they are not playing on ESPN3, try and find them on a radio station. WVUM consists of a couple of guys trying to broadcast over their cellphones. When they are not talking about any hot women in the stands, you might actually hear them tell you what is going on in the game. That is if they are not having technical difficulties. Outside of UF & FSU, which games have good attendance?

Go to any major league stadium and you can see the difference immediately. A lot of minor league parks are better than college ballparks. If you follow the money, you know that most schools are not going to spend money to improve their ballparks. College Baseball is in no man's land. They have to compete for the fan's dollar and time with Basketball. Spring Football also takes away fan interest.

What a terrible take on Mark Light and the experience. Have you actually ever been?

The game didn't sell out in NC last year either, genius. The Clemson-Pitt game sold 7,000 fewer tickets than the Clemson-Miami game the year before.

The point was to show that it is a mathematical impossibility for even a sellout attendance in Orlando or Jacksonville to exceed the sellout attendance in Charlotte. Which I proved.

I freely acknowledge that the ACC-CG attendance is predicated on the teams, NOT THE LOCATION. Thus, there is NO REASON to put the game in Charlotte every year if the attendance is based on THE TEAMS, and not the location. You can move the game around, and you will have a sellout anywhere you play, if you just have 2 solid teams.

The first game in Jacksonville was a sellout because F$U was playing. The very next year, Wake played GaTech, and 10,000 fewer tickets were sold. The next year, BC played VaTech, and another 10,000 fewer tickets were sold. The very next year IN TAMPA, there was a BC-VaTech rematch, which sold just as many tickets in Tampa as were sold in Jax. The final game in Tampa was Clemson-GaTech, with the lowest attendance of all.

All games played in Charlotte have featured either Clemson or F$U from the Atlantic, with either Clemson or F$U winning all but 1. For F$U, 1 of the 4 Charlotte games was a sellout. For Clemson, 3 of the 4 Charlotte games was a sellout.

The reality is that the only guarantee of a football sellout in Charlotte is if Clemson plays. So if the location does not guarantee the sellout, there is no reason not to move the ACC-CG around.

Such an ***-backward post.

The WORST attendance since the game has been held in Charlotte (64,787) would rank it as the SECOND BEST attended game among those held in the 3 Florida cities.

4 of the 6 years that the game was held in FLA, it generated at least 11k fewer ticket sales (and, in one instance, 20k fewer in sales) than the WORST attended game in Charlotte. That is a LOT of lost revenue for the league.

NONE OF THIS is due to stadium size. Jax holds 67k regularly, expandable up to 82k--but attendance in 2 of the three years there was 63k and 53k.
Tampa holds 66k and only got 54k and 45k for their 2 games. And Orlando holds up to 65k and only got around 50k in attendance.

If sellout attendance at the game is, as you note, dependent upon the teams, then, as a business operator, you want to try to neutralize that aspect, since you never know who's going to be in the champ game from one season to the next.

So the logical, business-oriented thing to do is put the game in a place that will be most likely to generate the largest crowds REGARDLESS of who is playing. And Charlotte has been shown to get the largest crowds, while the FLA cities, save for one year, have the smallest.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Move it to Charlotte. Great ball park with a ton of things to do around the park.

Already been said that it probably won't be in Charlotte. They have the same problem that Durham does--because of a new rule in their minor league, they won’t be able to block off enough days at their stadium to host the tourney.

What a terrible take on Mark Light and the experience. Have you actually ever been?

Yes, I have been there. I am talking about Mark Light back in the 90s and the first part of the 20s. UM has made improvements, but they still need to do more.

Yes, I have been there. I am talking about Mark Light back in the 90s and the first part of the 20s. UM has made improvements, but they still need to do more.

I’m not sure what more you expect from an in-the-stands perspective.

I’ve been to a lot of minor league ballparks in the southeast. Single A teams often have ****tier parks than the Light. Double A are on par. And triple A are usually better.

I don’t think you can ask for more—or expect more—than that from college baseball.

This makes no sense given the stated reason for leaving Durham. Charlotte is in the International League too.

Advertisement
This makes no sense given the stated reason for leaving Durham. Charlotte is in the International League too.

I wonder if the league has their master schedule in place for 2020 and was able to tell Charlotte that their AAA team is on the road.

I wonder if the league has their master schedule in place for 2020 and was able to tell Charlotte that their AAA team is on the road.
That must be it. It gives them an extra year to take bids for a more permanent spot if nothing else.

It’s a shame in a certain way, because Charlotte gives them a site within roughly equal driving distance of five schools without physically being in the home metro of three of them.

Oh, what a tall order.

A week-long road trip. IMPOSSIBLE. UNPRECEDENTED.

Grounds crews handling 15 games in 6 days? HOW INSANE, WHO COULD HANDLE IT?

Lights? NOW YOU ARE JUST INVENTING PROBLEMS.

Security/ushers/concession workers/parking attendants/press box workers/ground crew? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE PEOPLE GET PAID? HINT, IT'S NOT MUCH. AND YOU STILL NEED TO HIRE THOSE PEOPLE IN DURHAM, WITH VERY LITTLE REVENUE. I HAVE ALREADY PROVEN THAT IF YOU SOLD EVERY WEEK-LONG PACKAGE, YOU ARE STILL LOOKING AT $600K TO $700K OF REVENUE THAT WOULD BE FOREGONE. ****, IF YOU PUT IT IN A MAJOR LEAGUE STADIUM, YOU COULD SELL THE FIELD-LEVEL SEATS AND CLUB-LEVEL SEATS, AND GIVE AWAY THE UPPER DECK, AND THE CONCESSIONS REVENUE WOULD SKYROCKET.

You will not be able to sell tickets? JUST ADDRESSED THAT.

We have no idea how many people from each school will travel? OH, WOW, IT WOULD BECOME SOME VASTLY DIFFERENT NUMBER IF WE MOVED THE TOURNAMENT TO ATLANTA FROM DURHAM. OR JACKSONVILLE FROM DURHAM. OH, WAIT, THAT'S A LOAD OF BULLSH!TE.

You need to take your Metamucil and get ready for dinner at 4 pm, you cranky old whiner.

Pointless to argue with this guy. It is akin to playing chess with a chimpanzee. Put him on ignore. If enough people do, he may finally go away.

Advertisement

Lmao Im sure they just happened to have an opening that exact week in their schedule.

Advertisement
Back