Durham to no longer host the ACC tourney

Advertisement
Yes they are.

OK< thanks.

Yeah, putting the conference tourney in Jacksonville for 4 years really screwed the non-Carolina teams. Same with having it up in VA. Totally screwed all those non-Carolina teams.

Same with having it IN the Carolinas...I mean, obviously there is malice (and the flip side favoritism) intended by hosting the tourney in a spot that's equidistant to the furthest reaches of the conference

You guys are insufferable.

Every single person is aware of the bidding and the fact that the game has moved around.

Outside of Jacksonville, the rest of those locations are a joke.

Greensboro, NC is in the same metropolitan statistical area as Durham, NC. Salem, VA is just a bit further from Greensboro than Durham is from Greensboro. So the ACC has "moved around" the tournament within a 100 mile radius of Greensboro.

Again, I've made the point that we need to MANAGE our own tournament better. I realize that under the status quo, a bunch of crap towns with nothing better to do are going to bid for a tournament with only a few thousand attendees. I get that.

But from top to bottom, the ACC needs to manage baseball better. More TV coverage. More exposure. More attendance. More media reports. I realize that most people are not aware of what is happening with college baseball and with ACC baseball. We have a monster TV contract right now, we have plenty of programming hours to fill, particularly after the ACC hoops tournament ends. We need to start thinking and acting differently, instead of defending the ACC for having "competitive bidding" that seems to put the baseball tournament within a 100 mile radius of Greensboro every year.

It's just that simple.

Good lord.

People don't watch college baseball. Putting the ACCT in Tropicana Field will literally change nothing. Putting Georgia Tech and Wake Forest on the ACC Network will literally change nothing.

We need to start thinking and acting differently, instead of defending the ACC for having "competitive bidding" that seems to put the baseball tournament within a 100 mile radius of Greensboro every year.

Because having the tournament within driving distance of 8 out of 14 teams is just absurd, right?

Advertisement
Every single person is aware of the bidding and the fact that the game has moved around.

Outside of Jacksonville, the rest of those locations are a joke.

Greensboro, NC is in the same metropolitan statistical area as Durham, NC. Salem, VA is just a bit further from Greensboro than Durham is from Greensboro. So the ACC has "moved around" the tournament within a 100 mile radius of Greensboro.

Again, I've made the point that we need to MANAGE our own tournament better. I realize that under the status quo, a bunch of crap towns with nothing better to do are going to bid for a tournament with only a few thousand attendees. I get that.

But from top to bottom, the ACC needs to manage baseball better. More TV coverage. More exposure. More attendance. More media reports. I realize that most people are not aware of what is happening with college baseball and with ACC baseball. We have a monster TV contract right now, we have plenty of programming hours to fill, particularly after the ACC hoops tournament ends. We need to start thinking and acting differently, instead of defending the ACC for having "competitive bidding" that seems to put the baseball tournament within a 100 mile radius of Greensboro every year.

It's just that simple.

Uh, not everyone was aware of the bidding and that the game has moved around.

There are literally about a dozen posts in this thread that misguidedly decry the fact that the ACC doesn't bid out things. And there are another handful of posts that whine about things always being in NC--which indicates folks didn't know it's also been in Jax and VA within the last decade.

You've thrown out the ****tiest ideas to "grow" the league. I mean, they are just patently terrible, horrible business propositions. And yet you whine about the league.

Grow up.

Last edited:
OK< thanks.

Yeah, putting the conference tourney in Jacksonville for 4 years really screwed the non-Carolina teams. Same with having it up in VA. Totally screwed all those non-Carolina teams.

Same with having it IN the Carolinas...I mean, obviously there is malice (and the flip side favoritism) intended by hosting the tourney in a spot that's equidistant to the furthest reaches of the conference

You guys are insufferable.

Again, you give everything away with your screen name. I get it, you want everything in your backyard. You will make every fake argument in the book to justify this.

It's not just baseball, this includes football and basketball too. Over and over and over again, these events are held (predominantly) in North Carolina.

I could behave like you, and build a compelling case to hold all conference tournaments in Florida every year, simply because I live in Florida. But I'm not a dope. I want all tournaments moved around throughout our entire ACC footprint.

So learn how to differentiate between certain arguments. First, as any honest person knows, the Carolina-centric nature of the ACC disadvantages all other programs in a variety of ways, not all of which can be summed up with "a$$es-in-seats-for-ACC-baseball-tournament" logic. One of the reasons that the Tobacco Road schools were hesitant to support ACC expansion was that they would lose out on tickets to the ACC basketball tournament every year (they would get fewer tickets than they once did). Yes, this was an issue to UNC, Duke, Wake, and NC State.

Second, there is a separate issue related to baseball. There is no bigger Big-3 sports differential between college and pro sports than in baseball. Both college and pro football are enormously popular. College and pro basketball are huge. But there is a massive viewership and attendance differential between college and pro baseball. And it doesn't have to be that way.

But, sure, all of you "I love living in the Carolinas" types can keep lying to us about how there is nothing wrong with putting almost all of the ACC postseason events in the Carolinas is "no big deal". But everyone else knows the truth.

Again, you give everything away with your screen name. I get it, you want everything in your backyard. You will make every fake argument in the book to justify this.

It's not just baseball, this includes football and basketball too. Over and over and over again, these events are held (predominantly) in North Carolina.

I could behave like you, and build a compelling case to hold all conference tournaments in Florida every year, simply because I live in Florida. But I'm not a dope. I want all tournaments moved around throughout our entire ACC footprint.

So learn how to differentiate between certain arguments. First, as any honest person knows, the Carolina-centric nature of the ACC disadvantages all other programs in a variety of ways, not all of which can be summed up with "a$$es-in-seats-for-ACC-baseball-tournament" logic. One of the reasons that the Tobacco Road schools were hesitant to support ACC expansion was that they would lose out on tickets to the ACC basketball tournament every year (they would get fewer tickets than they once did). Yes, this was an issue to UNC, Duke, Wake, and NC State.

Second, there is a separate issue related to baseball. There is no bigger Big-3 sports differential between college and pro sports than in baseball. Both college and pro football are enormously popular. College and pro basketball are huge. But there is a massive viewership and attendance differential between college and pro baseball. And it doesn't have to be that way.

But, sure, all of you "I love living in the Carolinas" types can keep lying to us about how there is nothing wrong with putting almost all of the ACC postseason events in the Carolinas is "no big deal". But everyone else knows the truth.

So your solution is to take the ACC Baseball Tournament to places where there are even fewer people who watch an unpopular sport.

Tell us again about your MLB stadium plan. That's a doozy.

Uh, not everyone was aware of the bidding and that the game has moved around.

There are literally about a dozen posts in this thread that misguidedly decry the fact that the ACC doesn't bid out things. And there are another handful of posts that whine about things always being in NC--which indicates folks didn't know it's also been in Jax and VA within the last decade.

You've thrown out the ****tiest ideas to "grow" the league. I mean, they are just patently terrible, horrible business propositions. And yet you whine about the league.

Grow up.

Stop being a Carolina dipsh!te. Some people are a bit younger, and don't remember that TEN YEARS AGO the baseball tournament was in Jacksonville. But someone has pointed that out, so yes, everyone on this thread is now aware. There is no need to keep repeating it.

This is what happens. People comment positively that the tournament will now move, and the Carolinas-first crowd shows up to act as if we have stolen your firstborn child.

ACC Football Championship - the first 5 games were played in Jacksonville and Tampa, but since that time, 9 of the next 10 games have been, or will be, in Charlotte (including 2019).

6 of the 14 ACC-CGs have been won by NC-SC teams.

ACC Basketball Tournament - 67 years of ACC basketball tournaments through 2019-20 season, and 56 of them have been in North Carolina. 3 in Maryland (not since 1987). 6 in Georgia (not since 2012). 2 in DC (and one future one as well). 2 in NY (and one future one as well). ONE in Florida. Even since the 2004-05 ACC expansion season, 9 of the 16 ACC basketball tournaments have been held in NC. So SEVEN of the total ELEVEN non-NC ACC basketball tournaments have come since Miami, VaTech, and Boston College joined in 2006-2006 (ONE in Florida, NONE in Virginia or Massachusetts).

53 of 67 ACC basketball tournaments have been won by NC-SC teams.

ACC Baseball Tournament - 45 years of ACC baseball tournaments through 2019 and 35 of those were in NC or SC. Of the 10 non-Carolina tourneys, 6 have been held in Florida (not since 2008). 2 in Salem, VA (very close to Greensboro, but not since 2004). ONE in Georgia (in 1985!), and obviously, the one in Kentucky (2017).

24 of 45 ACC baseball tournaments have been won by NC-SC teams.

None of this is a coincidence.

Advertisement

Wow, you are one dumb *******.

This has nothing to do with my liking the ACC tourney in my backyard. I'm able to separate my own selfish desires and interests from the business of running a sports conference.

You're conflating football, basketball, and baseball into one post, and the rationale and logistics of each of them differs greatly. You're the one who needs to learn to differentiate. And you still don't seem to grasp a couple of simple and obvious things that poke holes in your theory:

The baseball tourney WAS HELD IN JAX FOR 4 YEARS, AND IS PUT UP FOR COMPETITIVE BIDS.
The ACC Champ game in football HAS BEEN HELD IN JACKSONVILLE, TAMPA, and ORLANDO. In each of those places, the game drew smaller crowds (in some cases, smaller by far) than when the game is hosted in Charlotte.

Seriously, talking to you is like talking to a 3rd grader. You stick your fingers in your ear and just discard any info that directly contradicts your opinion. Grow up.

So your solution is to take the ACC Baseball Tournament to places where there are even fewer people who watch an unpopular sport.

Tell us again about your MLB stadium plan. That's a doozy.

It's not an unpopular sport. Baseball is the most-viewed Big-3 spectator sport.

Advertisement
Wow, you are one dumb *******.

This has nothing to do with my liking the ACC tourney in my backyard. I'm able to separate my own selfish desires and interests from the business of running a sports conference.

You're conflating football, basketball, and baseball into one post, and the rationale and logistics of each of them differs greatly. You're the one who needs to learn to differentiate. And you still don't seem to grasp a couple of simple and obvious things that poke holes in your theory:

The baseball tourney WAS HELD IN JAX FOR 4 YEARS, AND IS PUT UP FOR COMPETITIVE BIDS.
The ACC Champ game in football HAS BEEN HELD IN JACKSONVILLE, TAMPA, and ORLANDO. In each of those places, the game drew smaller crowds (in some cases, smaller by far) than when the game is hosted in Charlotte.

Seriously, talking to you is like talking to a 3rd grader. You stick your fingers in your ear and just discard any info that directly contradicts your opinion. Grow up.

Ignorant response, as per usual.

The ACC baseball tournament has not been in Jacksonville FOR ELEVEN YEARS. Stop acting as if this is some big accomplishment.

The football stadiums in Jacksonville (67K) and Orlando (65K) simply do not have the same capacity as the stadium in Charlotte (75K). OOOH, a sellout in Jacksonville or Orlando is smaller than a sellout in Charlotte. What a genius you are. And the game was only held in Orlando when the fvcknvts in North Carolina passed the discriminatory bathroom bill. Let's not act as if THAT ONE was a "competitive bidding process".

The "logistics" are the same for basketball and baseball. All teams qualify, the location is set well in advance (unlike baseball regionals and super-regionals). Football is the only different situation, where only 2 teams qualify, but the location is also set well in advance.

Advertisement
Ignorant response, as per usual.

The ACC baseball tournament has not been in Jacksonville FOR ELEVEN YEARS. Stop acting as if this is some big accomplishment.

The football stadiums in Jacksonville (67K) and Orlando (65K) simply do not have the same capacity as the stadium in Charlotte (75K). OOOH, a sellout in Jacksonville or Orlando is smaller than a sellout in Charlotte. What a genius you are. And the game was only held in Orlando when the fvcknvts in North Carolina passed the discriminatory bathroom bill. Let's not act as if THAT ONE was a "competitive bidding process".

The "logistics" are the same for basketball and baseball. All teams qualify, the location is set well in advance (unlike baseball regionals and super-regionals). Football is the only different situation, where only 2 teams qualify, but the location is also set well in advance.

The games did not sell out in either Orlando or Jacksonville. You are really bad at this.

Make sure you ignore the fact that the original ACC was almost entirely made up of schools in North and South Carolina.

This is how you evidence your stupidity.

You don't dispute a single fact. I am pointing out that the ACC HAS NOT CHANGED since those days. Any idiot can figure out why they put tourneys in NC-SC in the 1950s. But they are still doing it in the 2000s, when 10 of the 15 schools (including Notre Dame) are NOT in NC-SC.

This is how you evidence your stupidity.

You don't dispute a single fact. I am pointing out that the ACC HAS NOT CHANGED since those days. Any idiot can figure out why they put tourneys in NC-SC in the 1950s. But they are still doing it in the 2000s, when 10 of the 15 schools (including Notre Dame) are NOT in NC-SC.

Then why don't you show us who has been winning the ACC Baseball Tournaments in the years since the ACC expanded?

I'm beginning to think that you are running a really clever troll account.

Advertisement
Back