DT Tywone Malone enters Portal

Imagine bringing in a 1st Team All-Conference player & sitting him on the bench... Behind JHH lol

C-USA isn't a very good conference and all conference selections can be political. But yeah, if Rose commits, he isn't coming to sit.

Advertisement
They wouldn’t be trying to bring in Rose AND Malone if they had any faith in JHH.

Not to mention, this is after already adding Deen & Gore...

100%. My best guess...

Jackson leaving caught them off guard.
Scrambled to bring in DT depth afterwards in Deen and Gore, but they underwhelmed in spring (on Deen, mostly due to injury).
Staff hasn't seen anything from JHH to trust him with any snaps beyond as a depth piece (plus injured last season and held from spring).
Lichtenstein is a limited depth.
They like Moten, but aren't certain he's ready for significant snaps yet.
They know expecting significant contribution from a TF enrolling in the summer/fall (Horton) is foolish.

Now they're doing everything they can to fix it so that the middle of the defense isn't exposed every week. I don't like UM being in this position, but at least their actions make it very clear they are aware of the problem and working to correct it.

I don’t like bashing guys or calling them a certain three letter term but we didn’t go this heavy in the portal because we felt good about about what we had. LT and Moten are the two I’d expect anything from. They’re willing to take Malone and Rose on top of Deen and Gore. Take that what you will.
Interesting change in avatar sir.

The ACC isn’t much better.

And regardless of the conference, the film don’t lie.

Hips Dont Lie GIF by Shakira

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Do you think that's Mario convincing him to stick around or us missing on a portal kid?
Mario is extremely honest with kids. Players who have left knew where they stood in the depth chart and some were told to look elsewhere. If I am not mistaken, the deadline to enter portal has passed us so that should tell you something.

I am speculating here but I think we take both DT’s if they want in. Idk where that leaves JHH if they both come.

End the thread.

3 kids are starters on this team. Tyler Van Dyke, Kamren Kinchens, and Matt Lee. That's it. The other 19 positions, ain't nobody guaranteed a ******* thing. This team blew ape last year, not a soul beyond those 3 should feel remotely safe. And yes, that includes 20, 56, 3, and I purposely left out 7 too, cause I'm pretty certain he's starting in the slot but I hope somebody is coming to take his ******* cookies too.
I wpuld add Cohen

Advertisement
Malone and Rose both have multi years of eligibility, and after this year there is a solid chance you lose LT, JHH, Deen, Lichstistein, and Gore.

Your returnees could be Moten, Malone, Horton, and Rose then the freshman you sign.

This IMO is the bigger issue. I do think the staff likes LT, JHH, and Deen at DT for 2023, but always want as much talent and competition as possible.

Mario is extremely honest with kids. Players who have left knew where they stood in the depth chart and some were told to look elsewhere. If I am not mistaken, the deadline to enter portal has passed us so that should tell you something.

I am speculating here but I think we take both DT’s if they want in. Idk where that leaves JHH if they both come.

The bolded part can still be worked around. For example I think JHH is a fourth year sophomore. He could graduate then just enroll at a new school as a GT and skip the portal all together. I am unsure if a kid would be disadvantaged by trying to wait, then enroll after graduation or if the portal has some type of impact on the actual school classes but we could still lose some kids due to graduation. **** it could even be Mario telling players x/y/z you are in a depth position, we are trying to upgrade but if we dont, you get your depth spot, if not and we sign players after you graduate we wont renew your scholarship as a graduate to help keep us under the 85.

Honestly it would not shock me if we got an under the radar GT WR from somewhere. Not saying it will be Jordan Addison level player but a good player.

Mario likes the surprise and keeping things quiet for the most part (at least from an outsider's perspective). Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my end but I would not be surprised if something is in the works.

Advertisement
Back