Dream staff if Mario is HC (Long)

Advertisement
Read on TOS that they were recruiting at the same school and trob was talking **** about Miami and Mario checked him. Golden wasn’t happy he got reprimanded and bounced to Bama. Was the gist Of it.

I am assuming you forgot a comma? "Golden wasnt happy, he got reprimanded, and bounced to Bama." The way I heard it a local coach let TROB cut the line to get to a recruit and Mario checked him, but when the story trickled back to the school Golden ended up getting mad at Mario which caused the issue. \

Punctuation is important. it is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse or helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Frank ponce name might need to be mentioned if mario does come. Ponce is from Miami and he was on the staff at fiu with Mario all 6 years where he coached wrs. Most of ponce experience tho has been working with qbs. And he is the OC for app st. right now with this year being his first calling plays.

Lol, don't kill me now.

I do think we can keep DVD and T-Rob. They have been here for just a year, and have the worst DC to work for. Just for Recruiting alone, it's big to keep both, and having a better DC to work with will be extremely beneficial for how their units look.

Fields has worked with Mario so I think there is a chance for him to stay.

Likens and Hickson are probably on the way out. For Likens, if we can replace him with Oregon WR coach I would be extremely happy. Hickson would need to be replaced with a good developer/recruiter. We can't allow any top RB to leave SFL like Cook with FSU again.

Ed Reed as chief of staff role or whatever it's called will help IMO on current coaches to give Mario some insight.
In my eyes it is an absolutely horrific idea to keep ANYONE from the existing staff on the team. We don't need to be reminded of the incompetencies this staff has shown over the last few years.

I equate this to a situation where a struggling company needs a re-org. It's a horrible feeling being somewhere where they replace a few people at the top but then keep some. Especially those that haven't performed well. Nothing sucks more than being an employee, working your butt off, and then seeing the VP of Sales or Operations or Marketing retained knowing that they were apart of the problem. It's de-motivating.

Either way, I'll bite:

Field - TE development has been a disappointment. Recruiting has been average at best. We are TE U. Even in our down years we still produced top talent at TE. Brevin was injury plagued. Mallory has been a huge bust. And the depth at the position is mediocre.

DVD - Still unproven and is apart of the Manny coaching tree. I want nothing to do with the Manny tree. There's a high likelihood that if he is not retained he won't get a job anywhere else. Move on. If he does get a job...let him figure things out at FAU. Or FIU. Maybe we'll see him back here in 5 years.

Likens - Pope sucks. Wiggins sucks. But they were both talented. Harley is inconsistent. Recruiting is whatever. Either way, just let him go and let the new OC come in with a fresh start.

Hickson - Do you know who the RB coach for Duke's big season was? Tim Harris. Before that it was Hurlie Brown. RB coach is not a difficult job here. SFL is filled with great RBs. This is an easy position to fill and again there's no need to have the stench of our failures linger.

T-Rob - He is the only person I'd consider keeping on staff. However, even if we wanted to keep him I'm 99% sure he's out. I can't imagine him wanting to stay after the sh*t show of this season and continue putting his reputation on the line. This guy can get a job wherever he wants. Why risk at in a rebuild here?

If we were to keep all of these guys then you're talking about retaining about 50% of the entire support staff from a coach that is arguable the worst coach we've had in the history of the program. In what world does that make sense?

There are plenty of good position coaches out there. If you're going to start fresh then actually commit to it. Don't half *** it cuz a few of these guys had some positive moments.

In my eyes it is an absolutely horrific idea to keep ANYONE from the existing staff on the team. We don't need to be reminded of the incompetencies this staff has shown over the last few years.

I equate this to a situation where a struggling company needs a re-org. It's a horrible feeling being somewhere where they replace a few people at the top but then keep some. Especially those that haven't performed well. Nothing sucks more than being an employee, working your butt off, and then seeing the VP of Sales or Operations or Marketing retained knowing that they were apart of the problem. It's de-motivating.

Either way, I'll bite:

Field - TE development has been a disappointment. Recruiting has been average at best. We are TE U. Even in our down years we still produced top talent at TE. Brevin was injury plagued. Mallory has been a huge bust. And the depth at the position is mediocre.

DVD - Still unproven and is apart of the Manny coaching tree. I want nothing to do with the Manny tree. There's a high likelihood that if he is not retained he won't get a job anywhere else. Move on. If he does get a job...let him figure things out at FAU. Or FIU. Maybe we'll see him back here in 5 years.

Likens - Pope sucks. Wiggins sucks. But they were both talented. Harley is inconsistent. Recruiting is whatever. Either way, just let him go and let the new OC come in with a fresh start.

Hickson - Do you know who the RB coach for Duke's big season was? Tim Harris. Before that it was Hurlie Brown. RB coach is not a difficult job here. SFL is filled with great RBs. This is an easy position to fill and again there's no need to have the stench of our failures linger.

T-Rob - He is the only person I'd consider keeping on staff. However, even if we wanted to keep him I'm 99% sure he's out. I can't imagine him wanting to stay after the sh*t show of this season and continue putting his reputation on the line. This guy can get a job wherever he wants. Why risk at in a rebuild here?

If we were to keep all of these guys then you're talking about retaining about 50% of the entire support staff from a coach that is arguable the worst coach we've had in the history of the program. In what world does that make sense?

There are plenty of good position coaches out there. If you're going to start fresh then actually commit to it. Don't half *** it cuz a few of these guys had some positive moments.

I appreciate the thought-out response. I want to mention a few things.

T-Rob - I agree, he likely has one foot out the door. It will be a dream scenario to keep that man here. His reputation, however, is recruiting and he has lived up to that, and other than recruiting he hasn't won anywhere he's been. His reputation of losing can change if Mario can bring his winning ways of Oregon to Miami. His rep will stay intact regardless because he is known for recruiting and not being a part of a winning program.

Likens - Harley did not show any life before last season which was Likens's first season coaching him up. There was no saving Pope or Wiggins no matter who the WR coach was IMO, so I don't use that as a measuring stick for his coaching abilities. I can argue he evaluated K.Smith who went under the radar and at times has looked like our best WR. He brought in Rambo who has balled out, probably earning himself a draft grade. That, plus the young WRs have made some impressive plays throughout the season, I haven't seen a catch like Brinsons since Richards left. The man has put out first-round picks and proven to be a good developer. He also had a great recruiting haul, last class. I am of fan of what he brings, so I won't be mad if he stays, but I understand if the OC wants to bring his own guy as well. My hope is we continue to get better with the WRs that we got because I feel we have a lot of talent there now.

Fields - His past relationship with Cristobal at Oregon is what leads me to believe he will stay in some form. I agree with you that Mallory has looked like crap, so coaching wise we can't go off many positives, but per posters connected the guy does a lot of good things recruiting. If I am not mistaken he was a big reason why we got A. Williams, and probably would've gotten Skinner if not for Manny Diaz stinking it up, at least that's what the people connected were saying. His recruiting abilities are nothing new. In Oregon, he was the director of recruiting, and for good reasons. Again, going based on what people that are connected said. At the very least I would kick Baez out, and keep Fields as recruiting coordinator. Williams for TE/ST coach is a great option.

Hickson - Shortly after I posted this thread a poster told me this guy is toxic to the program, so the guy can kick rocks. Though I will say it's not his fault Manny wants to play seniors, plus, Chaney and Knighton have been hurt or suspended. We need a recruiter like him that will keep talent here. We can't afford to lose another Dalvin Cook to FSU. So yeah any RB coach will do well here, and I think Hickson would've done better if not for how historically bad our OL has been with Diaz, we just need a solid recruiter.

DVD - We can agree to disagree. I would not let DVD go. Maybe he's not ready for a coaching spot, but he's been instrumental in recruiting. If I am not mistaken he is a big reason we got LT. If you want to kick Rumph out and put him as recruiting coordinator that's fine. But you need some staff to continue those relationships built through the years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not sure what the infatuation is with Fields. Hyped by the fact he was supposed to be a great recruiter, but haven't really seen it yet. Biggest issue is someone - either Fields or the OC, or maybe some combination - has ****ed all over Miami being Tight End U. Fields had little impact on Brevin Jordan and Mallory has regressed to the point where he's barely playable. We laughed at his predecessor, the little bagman, but would take him any day over Fields.

Stephen Fields-
Pros - Great recruiter with experience recruiting coast to coast. Coached Brevin Jordan. Has worked with Cristobal in Oregon so the relationship is there.
Cons - Mallory and everything he has done this year.

Would never happen. Someone would give him a chance as a CB coach for his recruiting prowess alone.
Well you make him take the on-field job at a lesser school. I wouldn't beg some first time coach to stay here because he'd leave for Temple...

Like I said no other coaches should probably be kept unless specifically for recruiting roles or something. I don't get why so many people love the idea of keeping coaches when we suck and want our AD and HC fired. Sure guys like Likens and TRob have shown to have good success other places, and some other coaches on this staff seem like quality hires if they were in a good situation.... but I'd rather just the New HC fill out the positional staff with his guys. Then no bs excuses.

I am assuming you forgot a comma? "Golden wasnt happy, he got reprimanded, and bounced to Bama." The way I heard it a local coach let TROB cut the line to get to a recruit and Mario checked him, but when the story trickled back to the school Golden ended up getting mad at Mario which caused the issue. \

Punctuation is important. it is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse or helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Much appreciated grammar police. But yes, that,is,the, story, I,read,on,TOS. 😝

Advertisement
Since a new coach is taking over at lsu our new coach should give Corey Raymond a call. Probably won't happen but worth a try.

I would give a call to Mickey Joseph too. The guy is all Lousiana, born, raised, and coached in the state a long time, but I would still try. He coached up J.Jefferson, T. Marshall, and J. Chase.

Well you make him take the on-field job at a lesser school. I wouldn't beg some first time coach to stay here because he'd leave for Temple...

Like I said no other coaches should probably be kept unless specifically for recruiting roles or something. I don't get why so many people love the idea of keeping coaches when we suck and want our AD and HC fired. Sure guys like Likens and TRob have shown to have good success other places, and some other coaches on this staff seem like quality hires if they were in a good situation.... but I'd rather just the New HC fill out the positional staff with his guys. Then no bs excuses.

It happens often. New coaches come in and evaluate who the best unit of the team is and is it worth it to them to keep that assistant on staff. Those relationships built with high school coaches and players through the years come in handy.

Steve Sarkisian kept Sam Drayton and Andre Coleman from Hermans former staff.
Lane Kiffen Kept Derrick Nix.
Schiano kept Nunzio Campanile and half of the off-field assistants.
Sam Pittman kept Justin Stepp.

There are many more cases. All examples of carryovers from failed HCs. I overdid it by saying 4 coaches should be kept.

Hickson, I mentioned shortly after I posted the thread can kick rocks, and Fields is a special case because he's worked with Cristobal so he can get a more serious look.

1-2 coaches max should be kept with on-field positions. I would consider T-Rob and Likens. Just my opinion is all.

I would also do everything I can to keep Fields and DVD on recruiting roles at the very minimum and kick Baez and Rumph out.

Advertisement
U fire Manny then all his needs to go. And T-rob is leaving regardless he's a hot commodity.

Since a new coach is taking over at lsu our new coach should give Corey Raymond a call. Probably won't happen but worth a try.
I think he’d only come as a DC. I have thought of him and a few others that are well known and respected recruiters getting a shot tho.

Advertisement
Oregon RB coach - Jim Mastro - He is about to put a RB in the first round on this year's draft, but doesn't have experience recruiting on this side.
Travis Dye going in the 1st round?

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Advertisement
Back