Dream staff if Mario is HC (Long)

Not many....Patke might as well start packing his sh*t now....

Oh yeah. His current staff is filled with west coast guys so Mario strikes me as a guy who surrounds himself with buddies (e.g. mirabal) AND guys who are in his region. I think that's a great strategy. He also kept a couple guys from Taggart's staff IIRC. So, I think he would keep some guys like perhaps Likens or Field (whom he brought out to Oregon at one point) and maybe DVD. Not sure TRob stays/

Advertisement
Oh yeah. His current staff is filled with west coast guys so Mario strikes me as a guy who surrounds himself with buddies (e.g. mirabal) AND guys who are in his region. I think that's a great strategy. He also kept a couple guys from Taggart's staff IIRC. So, I think he would keep some guys like perhaps Likens or Field (whom he brought out to Oregon at one point) and maybe DVD. Not sure TRob stays/
The staples of his staff at FIU were Ponce coaching WR, Mirabal coaching OL, and Jeff Popovich coaching CB/DB and ST

Mirabal is a guarantee, I think Pop coaches CBs, if Ponce would come and be a co-OC and not call plays I think he's a realistic option at WR or QB. Bobby Williams has been his right hand man and followed him from Alabama to Oregon to coach TE/ST.

Don't see any holdovers. Maybe Field and DVD in a recruiting/off-field role if they'll take it. I think part of the stipulation of a new coach/AD is to completely clean house top to bottom. Wash the losing culture down the drain.

The staples of his staff at FIU were Ponce coaching WR, Mirabal coaching OL, and Jeff Popovich coaching CB/DB and ST

Mirabal is a guarantee, I think Pop coaches CBs, if Ponce would come and be a co-OC and not call plays I think he's a realistic option at WR or QB. Bobby Williams has been his right hand man and followed him from Alabama to Oregon to coach TE/ST.

Don't see any holdovers. Maybe Field and DVD in a recruiting/off-field role if they'll take it. I think part of the stipulation of a new coach/AD is to completely clean house top to bottom. Wash the losing culture down the drain.
Me neither. Mario would probably want his guys and his guys only.

Mario and Mirabal have the #14 overall player in the country, 5* star OT from Texas committed to Oregon right now. I know they are beast recruiters but can they recruit at that level at Miami? (I suspect we are about to start spending more in recruiting as well)

Mario and Mirabal have the #14 overall player in the country, 5* star OT from Texas committed to Oregon right now. I know they are beast recruiters but can they recruit at that level at Miami? (I suspect we are about to start spending more in recruiting as well)
We signed 2 top 10 players in the country last year - I'm sure Mario can do as good or better than Manny.

It's hard to project but I would think we would stay in the top 10 in recruiting rankings fairly easily - my expectation would be 4th-6th range. Not Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State level because they recruit who they want nationally but in a group following that with Miami, Texas, USC, LSU, Oklahoma, etc.

Advertisement
Travis Dye going in the 1st round?

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Travis Dye going in the 1st round?

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Guy, I was talking about CJ Verdell.....
He had an early pick draft grade. He got hurt so that won't happen anymore, doesn't make him No less talented.

BWill would be a great guy to have on staff. I'd be surprised if Pop came back b/c I have to think there are guys out there that can croot at the Corey Raymond/TRob level, which Mario would need. I'd be fine if Ponce came in, but not as OC.

Mannnn I really want them to keep hickson.

Mannnn I really want them to keep hickson.
I have no problems with Hickson, Likens, or TRob.

I think they are all proven coaches that recruit well. Lashlee, Field, Simpson, Justice are fine but I think we can do better.

Patke, DVD, & Aristide have no business here. Point proven that they're all on the defensive side of the ball that is getting gashed - noticeable regression at all of their positions. DVD can recruit but I'm not sold on his coaching ability. Not even close.

Advertisement

You're basically asking can Mario recruit better than Manny. The answer is...ya tu sabes.

You're basically asking can Mario recruit better than Manny. The answer is...ya tu sabes.
No, I know he will clean up down here in South Florida. I’m asking can he pull those elite offensive lineman across the country? (Elite ranking wise.) I’m sure we are all tired of subpar offensive line play lol.

No, I know he will clean up down here in South Florida. I’m asking can he pull those elite offensive lineman across the country? (Elite ranking wise.) I’m sure we are all tired of subpar offensive line play lol.

I think he would be able to pull some, especially in the beginning but any portal OL would be considering us with immediate playing time plus a HC who's an OL guy.

Advertisement
Jeff Popovich is Mario’s guy. He’d definitely come and be a CB coach and probably ST as well. Mirabal is a given too. Bobby Williams is becoming one of his right hand guys as well since Alabama. He’s also a big ST guy and coaches TE… probably ruling out Field. I could see him in an off field position being director of recruiting.
Fields had that role at Oregon, if I recall.

I haven't looked much into Aaron Feld's training background and philosophy, other than he looks kinda like a goober with the handlebar mustache.

However, I have brought up multiple times on this board that Jim Radcliffe at Oregon is one of my favorite S&C coaches ever and was pivotal in developing the players for Chip Kelly's offense, which at the time blew everyone's **** off for being explosive and fast through the entirety of the game. Chip's players were smaller and not the typical 4 and 5 star athletes the SEC was getting, so they built the entire offense around speed and conditioning. He's an OG and I don't think Mario would bring him here but I'd love him here.

I think Mario's elite recruiting would spark a confirmation bias on this board. "See, I KNEW our S&C was bad under Feeley! Look how much bigger and explosive our guys look now!" That will be because Mario will be recruiting better players and coaching them properly. Crazy, I know.

I'm of the general belief you don't keep assistants from failed regimes onto new staffs. We know under Mario Mirabal would be coming as o line coach. The coordinator hires, especially offense would be pivotal. We need some innovative on that side of the ball, I like the Wake Forest OC or someone of a similar vain. Hiring a legit special teams coordinator is also paramount.

Advertisement
I mean, I know it sounds ridiculous but we're talking about MISSOURI ******* STATE.

Give Bobby Petrino a call and see if he has any interest in being the OC. No harm in taking his temperature. I think he's reached that point in his coaching career where humility has hit him and he's probably not going to get another big time HC gig.

Give Bobby Petrino a call and see if he has any interest in being the OC. No harm in taking his temperature. I think he's reached that point in his coaching career where humility has hit him and he's probably not going to get another big time HC gig.
Oh you sweet summer child, lol - I would take that bet in a heartbeat. Bobby Petrino is an enormous piece of **** and it wouldn't be long at all before he broke his neck again driving some young Miami tail on his motorcycle.

I mean, I know it sounds ridiculous but we're talking about MISSOURI ******* STATE.

not in a ******* million years do we hire this ****

Advertisement
Back