Dream staff if Mario is HC (Long)

Oregon’s defense:

94th total defense
75th sacks
42nd scoring defense
59th rush defense
110th passing yards allowed
100th 3rd down defense

Oregon’s defense is worse than Miami’s in most of these categories.

Oregon’s offense:

87th passing offense
23rd rushing offense
35th red zone offense
58th sacks allowed
33rd scoring offense

On offense, Oregon does have QB Anthony Brown and I think he sucks. RB Travis Dye looks fantastic. Even before Verdell’s the injury, Dye was out playing him.

Oregon’s defensive numbers are bad, but they have had Thibodeaux for only for only 3 games (and he’s been a monster in those games), and Flowe for only 1 game (he had 14 tackles in that game). With KB, Flowe, and Sewell, their D numbers should get better.

Defensively I really would want Glenn Schumann if we could land him. That's just my opinion. The man has spent time with really good coaches and is the Co-DC for the #1 defense in CFB.

Offensively I think that's what Zo and Mario want. Rushing offense to be near the top. With Knighton, Chaney, and Thad we will be set for it. Add to the OL getting fixed with Mario being here, and we will put up good numbers with a weak coastal division. And yeah Brown is garbage....

Advertisement
Defensively I really would want Glenn Schumann if we could land him. That's just my opinion. The man has spent time with really good coaches and is the Co-DC for the #1 defense in CFB.

Offensively I think that's what Zo and Mario want. Rushing offense to be near the top. With Knighton, Chaney, and Thad we will be set for it. Add to the OL getting fixed with Mario being here, and we will put up good numbers with a weak coastal division. And yeah Brown is garbage....
Run first offense in 2021 college football without a defense full of 5-stars that can shut down every opponent (like UGA)? Good luck with that.

I appreciate the love, brother. So we actually have 10 now +1 with the HC. It's currently Diaz, Lashlee, Fields, Justice, Likens, T-Rob, DVD, Patke, Simpson, Aristide, and Hickson.
It should be the same count for the guys I listed minus the S&C coach.

EDIT

You are correct. Probably remove Williams and give ST to a position coach (y)
In this situation, I'd keep TRob and remove DVD. Would hurt recruiting som but I'd like to think TRob could handle his own in that respect

First of all: I'd love Mario to be the next coach at UM.

I have a doubt though, he seems to like having a conservative offense. They clearly misused Herbert in his time there and even this year, with all the playmakers he recruited, the Oregon offense is pretty average.

They executed a great game plan vs Ohio State but after that....yikes (maybe they have a QB problem, but you can always try the next guy if you want, and they clearly don't).

In today's college football you MUST have an explosive, down-the-field offense. We are no longer in 2008.
His oc has been out since before the standford game

Advertisement
Did this guy really just say that we should keep a handful of assistants from the existing staff on this team? Are you out of your gat **** mind?

If our next coach keeps any of the existing staff at the program, they should be fired on the spot. Clean house and rid the program of whatever toxic residue exists.

Not against Glenn as DC but have to keep in mind that Smart and Muschamp are both defensive guys and are likely heavily involved in the defensive gameplan. Have to be careful with these guys titled as Co-DCs/Co-OCs, heck look at Clemson OFF this year once the other Co-OC took the SoFla HC job....it seems to me that he was the brains of the OFF and likely the QB coach with the current OC mostly an asst to him and likely a beast on the trail. I think Mario if hired will mostly have his pick of the litter when it comes to DCs. Hope he gets it right

Oregon’s defense:

94th total defense
75th sacks
42nd scoring defense
59th rush defense
110th passing yards allowed
100th 3rd down defense

Oregon’s defense is worse than Miami’s in most of these categories.

Oregon’s offense:

87th passing offense
23rd rushing offense
35th red zone offense
58th sacks allowed
33rd scoring offense

On offense, Oregon does have QB Anthony Brown and I think he sucks. RB Travis Dye looks fantastic. Even before Verdell’s the injury, Dye was out playing him.

Oregon’s defensive numbers are bad, but they have had Thibodeaux for only for only 3 games (and he’s been a monster in those games), and Flowe for only 1 game (he had 14 tackles in that game). With KB, Flowe, and Sewell, their D numbers should get better.
That’s not comforting. Manny was worldwide search of our staff. Mario is a worldwide search of our alumni base. Just makes me nervous. Might be the next JJ (not a local guy).

Advertisement
Hickson is terrible, IMO, and can hit the road. You could make the argument before the season started and injuries piled up that we had one of, if not the most talented RB groups in the country. That being said, we are currently 73rd in the nation and 11th in the ACC in rushing...totally unacceptable. Granted, some of the blame falls on the O-Line, play calling, etc. but our RBs consistently underperform under Hickson. Even with the injuries, Knighton, Brown, and Franklin were all 4 Star or higher prospects coming out of high school so there’s no excuse.

Great list. I’ll add this. Dan lanning will definitely get calls to be a head coach this off-season. I presume Schumann will take over. Mischamp I don’t know. Weird situation. I think he probably moves on. That being said is love for Schumann to come here. Rising star.

Moore head is a good hire I think. But Mario has to get tnose linebacker and DL coaches to come with him if he’s hired.

Advertisement
I would only see T-Rob & Fields as having the best odds at staying in terms of what they bring.

But it’s possible T-Rob doesn’t want to stay. We will find out soon enough.

Good post.

My one comment in general, and this is my personal preference. I hate having a TE coach. I much prefer having a QB coach (in addition to an OC who has experience with QBs).

A TE can learn receiving with WRs and blocking with OL.

An OC has to watch the whole offense so he can't focus non stop on a QB, which is the most important position. Give me a dedicated QB coach all day.

Advertisement
1. The fascination with Fields astounds me. You take Bobby Williams all day and every day over this mysteriously sfl credded non-coach. Off field recruiting staff for him.
2. Agree on keeping Likens.
3. Schumann is a pipe dream but since it’s a dream thread then sure.
Another dc guys: Charlton warren at IU (also lbs), Heacock as has been mentioned a long time, Doug Belk at Houston who can double up with DVD in secondary (former alabama GA and WV cb coach too), Brad Lambert co-DC and lb at Purdue (double up as lb coach and former Marshall and Wake Forest DC). Lambert is my pick actually.
4. Dl coach: go all out for Charlie Partridge at Pitt if Jess isn’t retained
5. Keep DVD
6. Moorhead is sick and I wonder how much of an effect it has had on their offense this year. If not Moorhead then:
A. Whipple (no I’m not joking) and bring Spencer as co oc and Wr coach. Bye Likens)
B. Warren Ruggiero at Wake Forest oc
C. Barry Lunney Texas San Antonio OC
D. Ryan Grubb Fresno State oc

Agreed on Hickson and Mirabal. Oregon’s DL coach would be a pipe dream given he’s strictly west coast.

My staff:

Qb/oc: Ruggiero
Rb: Hickson
Wr:Likens
Te/ST: Bobby williams
Ol: Mirabal

DL: Partridge
Lb/dc: Lambert
CBs: Van Dyke
S: Chris Peterson at ole miss
Defensive assistant/ assistant lbs: Aristide

Last edited:
Trob would not be coaching with Mario if the story is true that Mario checked him when at a HS recruiting a kid. Moorehead has done squat over there for that offense and would gladly pass on him (though hope he is feeling better). I like your list Minus the coordinators and think you have too many coaches for Defense. Trob won’t be here and doubt likens would be back. But good thought out post.
What's the story with T-Rob and Mario?

Trob would not be coaching with Mario if the story is true that Mario checked him when at a HS recruiting a kid. Moorehead has done squat over there for that offense and would gladly pass on him (though hope he is feeling better). I like your list Minus the coordinators and think you have too many coaches for Defense. Trob won’t be here and doubt likens would be back. But good thought out post.

I don't recall any beef b/w Mario and TRob. I do recall a beef Mario had with Urban, iirc.

As for Moorehead, I'm unsure of him but he is a good OC. His offenses at PSU, MSU and Oregon in 2020 were very good.

If Mario is the guy and he hires Moorehead, wonder if he'll keep Shoop as well (moorehead and shoop coached together at MSU).

Advertisement
Back