Dream staff if Mario is HC (Long)

Advertisement
1. The fascination with Fields astounds me. You take Bobby Williams all day and every day over this mysteriously sfl credded non-coach. Off field recruiting staff for him.
2. Agree on keeping Likens.
3. Schumann is a pipe dream but since it’s a dream thread then sure.
Another dc guys: Charlton warren at IU (also lbs), Heacock as has been mentioned a long time, Doug Belk at Houston who can double up with DVD in secondary (former alabama GA and WV cb coach too), Brad Lambert co-DC and lb at Purdue (double up as lb coach and former Marshall and Wake Forest DC). Lambert is my pick actually.
4. Dl coach: go all out for Charlie Partridge at Pitt if Jess isn’t retained
5. Keep DVD
6. Moorhead is sick and I wonder how much of an effect it has had on their offense this year. If not Moorhead then:
A. Whipple (no I’m not joking) and bring Spencer as co oc and Wr coach. Bye Likens)
B. Warren Ruggiero at Wake Forest oc
C. Barry Lunney Texas San Antonio OC
D. Ryan Grubb Fresno State oc

Agreed on Hickson and Mirabal. Oregon’s DL coach would be a pipe dream given he’s strictly west coast.

My staff:

Qb/oc: Ruggiero
Rb: Hickson
Wr:Likens
Te/ST: Bobby williams
Ol: Mirabal

DL: Partridge
Lb/dc: Lambert
CBs: Van Dyke
S: Chris Peterson at ole miss
Defensive assistant/ assistant lbs: Aristide
Yes, Agree on off field staff for Fields. I should’ve stated that on my post. Same if DVD sticks around. But whatever Mario would decide I am cool with his selections.

Manny Diaz seems to be on his way out soon. @DMoney says Cristobal is the guy we plan to go after per the rumors coming out. The question now becomes who stays, who comes, and who goes?

If Cristobal is the coach.

Who are almost certain will go - Feely, Justice, Simpson, Aristide, Lashlee, and Patke

The case for who stays.

Eric Hickson -
Pros - He is the Chaminade and Deerfield recruit getter. Has gotten us top RB recruits each year under his time here. One of the better units of this team.
Con - Pass blocking has been an issue for our RB aside from Harris. RB production hasn't been the greatest, but then again our OL doesn't do our RB any favors.

Oregon RB coach - Jim Mastro - He is about to put a RB in the first round on this year's draft, but doesn't have experience recruiting on this side.

Cristobal will improve our RB production instantly by fixing to OL as he has done everywhere he's been. I would love to keep Hickson on staff and see how his RB's do with a good OL coach. One thing we can't allow is a school like FSU to come to our backyard and get the next Dalvin Cook. I would keep Hickson.

Rob Likens -
Pros - Players seem to like him. Has recruited well and got us a great haul of recruits last class. Identified good under-the-radar players like K.Smith, Aiyuk, and Ibeita. Has a resume of developing talent and getting players drafted to the NFL. Experience recruiting from coast to coast. Experience as OC and AHC.
Cons - Still see some dropped passes, but it's been from the usual suspects.

Oregon WR coach - Bryan McClendon - A monster recruiter who has experience coaching in the SEC and PAC 12. Has recruited top talent and first-round picks anywhere he's been. Experience recruiting from coast to coast. Experience as AHC, OC, and PGC. Well respected in CFB.

This is one situation where I would be happy with either or coach.

T-Rob -
Pros - Is an ace recruiter. Experience as a DC. Very well known in the SFL area. Has developed and put players in the league. Can coach up the whole DB room with DVD under his wing.
Cons - May not want to coach here anymore. Have our DB's really looked better this year? Some really bad tackling from our DB unit.

Oregon CB coach - Rod Chance - Good coach with some good recruiting under his wing. Doesn't have much experience recruiting on this side of the map. His unit does tackle well. No resume of putting players in the league that I could find.

I would keep T-Rob and DVD. Recruiting wise that's a huge win to keep those two together. Give them more time to see what they can do in Miami, they have only been here a year.

Stephen Fields-
Pros - Great recruiter with experience recruiting coast to coast. Coached Brevin Jordan. Has worked with Cristobal in Oregon so the relationship is there.
Cons - Mallory and everything he has done this year.

Oregon TE coach - Bobby Williams - Has been around for some time. Comes with experience coaching special teams which is something we desperately need. Has experience recruiting coast to coast.

I would keep Fields in this case and there is a good chance Cristobal will because of their past relationship. I'll bring Williams as a Special Teams coach.

Who Cristobal should automatically bring in.

Alex Mirabal OL coach. The Columbus friends and Mario's right-hand man. Successful in recruiting and coaching his players up. HUGE upgrade over our current situation.

Joe Salave'a DL coach. A Polynesian coach who is a beast at recruiting and developing. About to probably put the #1 player to get picked in the draft to the league. The question becomes would he leave the west coast? Polynesians don't usually come to the east coast like that, and he doesn't have much experience recruiting in SFL. His resume speaks for itself and can definitely help with Anthony Lucas. Would be great for Kelly and Shemar to be coached up by a coach like this if they give us a chance. Mario is known as a monster recruiter and he will have to do his best recruiting to bring this coach with him to SFL.

Joe Moorhead OC. If Mario keeps the man I will be happy. Looks like he is due for a HC job soon, but if we get him, he is a great recruiter who has experience coaching and recruiting coast to coast. One of the top offensive minds in CFB.

As for DC, I would not want Tim DeRuyter. If I am Mario I am using my Alabama connection and giving a call to Glenn Schumann to offer the OLB/DC role. Has learned under some of the best in CFB, and is currently Co-DC at GA who ranks top in the nation in defense.

ILB Ken Wilson and Co-DC. Stayed with Mario and passed up being a HC somewhere. Got some big-time recruits to come to Oregon.

Aaron Feld for Strength and conditioning coach. Let Mario bring his own guy in and put these boys up into tip-top shape.

How it will look.

HC - Mario Cristobal

Offense /
OC - Joe Moorhead
OL - Alex Mirabal
WR - Rob Likens or Bryan McClendon
RB - Eric Hickson
TE - Stephen Fields
Defense/
DC/OLB - Glenn Schumann
DB - T-Rob and DVD
DL - Joe Salave'a
ILB/ Co-DC - Ken Wilson
Special teams
Bobby Williams
Strength and Conditioning - Aaron Feld.

This is all in fun and my dream staff if Mario comes in a HC. If Miami is really serious like the rumors that they say they are ready to spend are true, then this will be the staff to do it.

Sorry if long. Hope you guys enjoyed the read and feel free to change names if you prefer others.

Moorhead would be a great OC here buy I suspect he will return to HC soon. Maybe Oregon if Mario leaves.
I think Fields and maybe DVD stays.
Apply State's OC Frank Ponce goes back with Mario to FIU days. He may be the OC. Also, don't discount James Coley and Jeff Popovich who is currently coaching at GT.

Schumann is a really interesting name. I didn't know anything about the guy, but for an up and comer, he's got a really impressive resume.

He's literally been at 2 places....Bama and UGA. You'd think he's learned something. And his family history is very impressive. Seems like he was born and raised to be a football coach.

Advertisement
Moorhead would be a great OC here buy I suspect he will return to HC soon. Maybe Oregon if Mario leaves.
Apply State's OC Frank Ponce goes back with Mario to FIU days. He may be the OC. Also, don't discount James Coley and Jeff Popovich who is currently coaching at GT.
Coley is a solid recruiter. He’d be fine as WR/TE coach.

Schumann is reportedly a defensive genius behind the scenes. He is the one teaching at defensive clinics that Kirby puts on in SEC country. He is not leaving Georgia to come to Miami. I would say he is not leaving Georgia as long as Kirby is there. Once Lanning gets a HC spot he moves into the DC role. He is the Lebbt on the defensive side in the SEC.

Joe Moorhead OC. If Mario keeps the man I will be happy. Looks like he is due for a HC job soon, but if we get him, he is a great recruiter who has experience coaching and recruiting coast to coast. One of the top offensive minds in CFB.

No way Moorehead is a top offensive mind in CFB

Pass

I don't believe anybody has talked about Coach Feld since OG Post on this thread, but he's a HUGE (not just literally) upgrade over Feeley. Feld was in the SEC before he went to Oregon. They play fast, which UM does not. Their OL/DL/LB are strong. His philosophy on strength & conditioning is way better than Feeley's approach is. How many times do players at UM look slower? Or out of breath? It's not like that at Oregon. Him and his wife just had a baby so I'm not sure if they'd come to UM but if he came with Mario, he'd be a godsend.

Advertisement
Didnt Moorhead just flame out as a HC, seems he is an OC type long term unless Oregon wants him.. Guy knows offenses tho

Advertisement
So you want to keep 3 coaches that are already here, from position groups that are awful and haven’t gotten any better since those coaches took over? Got it. See you back here in 3 years when you’re putting together our next new staff.
Yep - 3 is too many. Field only as recruiting coordinator and TRob at DB.

The common denominator is Manny’s inability to let the coaches coach & run their rooms. Even if he had 10 years HC experience, you gotta let your coaches have their room & if they suck, you replace them. He’s a micro manager over every position group. It’s hard to determine how good/bad Likens (consistently playing Pope, Wiggins, etc) and T-Rob/Rumph/DVD (consistently playing Hall, Bolden, Ivey, and the coverages, etc).

Seems like Manny is or has over ruled them consistently. Only now that his job is on the line has he yielded some authority.

Reading between the lines as I listened to coach Soldinger last night, Manny is a control freak to his detriment. If he knew offense as well, he would probably call the offensive plays instead of Lashlee. Manny has “the smartest guy in the room syndrome.”

Perhaps @Poopscoop, @Da Jumbo Mutombo @Alex Jones @SWFLHurricane …. Others can likely analyze this or give better perspective.

Advertisement
Field and DVD to off field / recruting. If you can't retain T Rob which I am not sure if we even should given what has been reported then I would keep DVD at CB coach. In absolutely no scenario can Field remain as an on field coach.

Hickson must stay unless a top 5 RB coach can be brought in. His phone, if it already isn't will be receving calls non-stop from almost every major P5 programs. Can't have a guy like that at FSU or UF.

Likens, I like and would be okay if he stayed as WR coach, but would not lose sleep over it.

However, I'm fully expecting the next HC to completely gut the staff and support staff.

Field and DVD to off field / recruting. If you can't retain T Rob which I am not sure if we even should given what has been reported then I would keep DVD at CB coach. In absolutely no scenario can Field remain as an on field coach.

Hickson must stay unless a top 5 RB coach can be brought in. His phone, if it already isn't will be receving calls non-stop from almost every major P5 programs. Can't have a guy like that at FSU or UF.

Likens, I like and would be okay if he stayed as WR coach, but would not lose sleep over it.

However, I'm fully expecting the next HC to completely gut the staff and support staff.
Why would you keep DVD as an on field coach? What has he done or shown that proves he belongs? Nobody in the secondary has gotten better. And if you think he doesn’t have much say bc T Rob is doing all the coaching, then you’re keeping a brand new coach for no reason at all.

Jeff Popovich is Mario’s guy. He’d definitely come and be a CB coach and probably ST as well. Mirabal is a given too. Bobby Williams is becoming one of his right hand guys as well since Alabama. He’s also a big ST guy and coaches TE… probably ruling out Field. I could see him in an off field position being director of recruiting.

Good post.

My one comment in general, and this is my personal preference. I hate having a TE coach. I much prefer having a QB coach (in addition to an OC who has experience with QBs).

A TE can learn receiving with WRs and blocking with OL.

An OC has to watch the whole offense so he can't focus non stop on a QB, which is the most important position. Give me a dedicated QB coach all day.

That's a really really good point. I agree

Advertisement
Back