Donna a Micromanager. DiMare & Miller to Decide Our Fate

Ken Dorsey is gonna be an NFL OC any minute now. I'd welcome him with a big old smile and a bigger boner if we somehow manage to convince him to downgrade to college for a couple years.

I love Dorsey, but his inexperience gives me pause. He's in line to be an NFL OC, but a) that doesn't mean he'll be good at it, and b) coaching in the NFL doesn't automatically mean you'll be good in college. There is a laundry list of guys who coached in the NFL and flopped in college. Butch's last OC (John Shoop) was an OC in the NFL, and he was terrible at UNC.

That said, Dorsey is a smart football junkie, and I think he'll figure it out. I just prefer an offensive head coach with a track record of implementing explosive offenses at the college level; sometimes NFL guys with deep knowledge of the game struggle with teaching 18-year-olds with limited practice time.

It's a roll of the dice with relatively minimal downside, and a ton of upside. Less downside than when we brought Fisch, I think, who many will note had briefly been an OC before his stint here, but had fumbled it a bit. Fans at his prior stop were happy to see him go.

We have to be ahead of the curve once. Just f'in once. Dorsey is a former advanced scout, football maniac, and has considerable experience (while playing and after) handling QBs and contributing to NFL offenses. Is it a perfect hire with no risk? Obviously not. But, it's one **** of a roll of the dice to get Dorsey as your college OC when he'll likely get a crack at NFL OC within 2 years.

To me, Dorsey is a future Head Coach or offensive guru. I'm betting on him.

Agree with this.

Fit is important, and I love pairing Kaaya with an NFL QB coach. He is an NFL QB. Kaaya will be applying the same concepts he's dealing with now, but at a more sophisticated level.

Do you think it's a great idea to hire an OC just to work with Kaaya for a year or two? Or would you like to hire the best possible guy overall for the program who can work with Kaaya and then work with whatever other style QB he wants to work with after that in order to score the most points?

Advertisement
I'm still on the Butch wagon but I have to be honest - after listening to WAY too much sports talk radio than can be healthy for me - I wouldn't be sad if Charlie Strong is the choice. If they could swing that? Pffft. Watch out!

Wait are people finally coming to their senses after listening to people with valid opinions and rational thought.

Could you imagine the radio show these clowns would host?

I actually feel the same way .

I love butch but part of me knows its just nostalgia. There is no other coach other than maybe Jimmy that I would like to bring us back. But I cannot deny he is old and he did not do things at UNC that should make us simply believe he will do 2001 all over again.

People say Alabama recruits itself well maybe in 2001 The U recruited for itself. Maybe it was the perfect storm. It was simply because of him he would have had more success. Urban would go to UNC and win the coastal without a doubt.

I will root like MFer for Miami regardless of the coach.

I would be happy with Charlie and I would be happy with Herman.

I dont want Mario as the HC but i do want him on the staff.

Anytime you can force the number one recruiting team to lose their top recruiter and to have to rebuild connects in your locale its a very good move. With him being a Cane its a no brainer. He also has connects in other top programs simply because he was under the Saban banner. To simply bad mouth this dude because your a paranoid crybaby make no sense to me.

Lulz at trying to compare UNC to Miami. Of course Miami recruited itself in 2001, because of Butch! He took over a program on life support under REAL sanctions and turned it into a juggernaut!!

More nonsensical arguing... Miami recruited itself because of Butch...That dont make sense...

Come on... on life support..... Miami was a bigger brand then than it is now.

Players didn't give a rats ash about the NCAA stuff going on.

I keep asking myself how can a coach like Cutcliffe win 10 games at Duke but UNC cant win near that many with Butch?

Butch will have to work his 63 yr old ash off to get us back to the promised land.

You guys are going to have to give him his chance. He has to build depth and that's not going to come in 1 year.

The thought of you guys turning on him makes me want to puke.

I'm still on the Butch wagon but I have to be honest - after listening to WAY too much sports talk radio than can be healthy for me - I wouldn't be sad if Charlie Strong is the choice. If they could swing that? Pffft. Watch out!

Wait are people finally coming to their senses after listening to people with valid opinions and rational thought.

I love butch but part of me knows its just nostalgia. There is no other coach other than maybe Jimmy that I would like to bring us back. But I cannot deny he is old and he did not do things at UNC that should make us simply believe he will do 2001 all over again.

People say Alabama recruits itself well maybe in 2001 The U recruited for itself. Maybe it was the perfect storm. It was simply because of him he would have had more success. Urban would go to UNC and win the coastal without a doubt.

Anytime you can force the number one recruiting team to lose their top recruiter and to have to rebuild connects in your locale its a very good move. With him being a Cane its a no brainer. He also has connects in other top programs simply because he was under the Saban banner. To simply bad mouth this dude because your a paranoid crybaby make no sense to me.
you lost me at the Mario part. For me, it left a very (******* VERY) bad taste when he ran out of town the last time. I can seen he virtue of harming Alabama's connections in the area but then I remember that they hardly recruit here at all. So..... Still not feeling ya on those points.

I don't want Mario on staff in any capacity and while I do want Butch - people have me believing we have a slim chance at Charlie Strong which would be a grand slam home run hire. I actually have less doubts about Strong than I do Butch if I'm being perfectly honest.

"One of the first names that was reached out to was Mike Shula,"

Reported mulitie times. If it's true...and at this point there's is no evidence that it isn't...this search is going to be a clown show.
That would mean that out of the gate number one on your list was Mike Shula. Let that sink in.
Woukd not be shocked if number two on the list is Dnofrio.

Shula will likely be a head coach in the NFL next year and you think its a clown search. He turned us down because he knows he is about to get his own NFL team but for Miami, the school that had Al Golden running the ship and had multiple coaches turn it down the last time around its a clown search.

ROTFFL![/QUOTE

If you say so.

you lost me at the Mario part. For me, it left a very (******* VERY) bad taste when he ran out of town the last time. I can seen he virtue of harming Alabama's connections in the area but then I remember that they hardly recruit here at all. So..... Still not feeling ya on those points.

I don't want Mario on staff in any capacity and while I do want Butch - people have me believing we have a slim chance at Charlie Strong which would be a grand slam home run hire. I actually have less doubts about Strong than I do Butch if I'm being perfectly honest.

How does Mario leaving the Golden staff upset you but Butch leaving us for the Cleveland browns after he lied to the media about it days before not bother you. Buth left a title on the table... Mario left Golden

I agree with Strong he would be a homerun.

Chip would be my top person.

Butch is my sentimental choice.

Charlie would make the most sense.

And if only was about X and O I would want Herman.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Reported mulitie times. If it's true...and at this point there's is no evidence that it isn't...this search is going to be a clown show.
That would mean that out of the gate number one on your list was Mike Shula. Let that sink in.

Shula will likely be a head coach in the NFL next year and you think its a clown search. He turned us down because he knows he is about to get his own NFL team but for Miami, the school that had Al Golden running the ship and had multiple coaches turn it down the last time around its a clown search.

ROTFFL![/QUOTE

If you say so.

No go do you homework... Thats what I am telling you listening to people on this board without doing your home work is why this board looks like a bunch of fumbling idiots.

ROTFFL![/QUOTE

If you say so.

No go do you homework... Thats what I am telling you listening to people on this board without doing your home work is why this board looks like a bunch of fumbling idiots.

Yep. Did my homework and could not find any (apart from UM) college football teams expressing any interest in him as a HC.
Thanks.

I wonder if there were two spoiled rich men tell Sam Jankovich what to do......

My guess is no. We'll end up with Butch, which is a safe, lazy hire. The masses will be overjoyed until we go 7-5 next year.

Tell me you're not really that dumb.

7-5?

Quit. Just quit it.

I think it is completely delusional to assume that a guy who only won double digits once in his career is going to come to Miami and instantly turn the team into a winner.

Give him four years to recruit and develop and you might get there, but having seen Butch work before I think its crazy to think he is suddenly going to be a totally different coach at age 63.

You didn't see him work at Miami.

You look at one number.

Five.

No further, just that one number is all you see.

Not realizing that this single number is the average of twenty six other numbers. You never bother looking at what it took to come up with that number, because snot rags don't EVER invest any time considering all conditions and variables.

I used to bag guys like you up all the time. You're just unaware.

I was at the U when Butch was hired. I followed him with the Browns and at UNC. It is a historical fact that he has had one double digit winning season in his entire career. It took him 6 years to do that.

It is also a fact that while he went 9-7 in his second season with Cleveland, he followed that up with a 5-11 and 3-8 season.

I don't care about NFL draft picks. Golden had 7 last year. Shannon had a ton. Coker had a ton. The dirty little secret is that any coach with a bunch of Florida athletes will get a ton of kids drafted.

What Butch did for us in building the 2001 team was great. But his career has proven that he's not a guy that will win big quickly. Making him out to be something his isn't is disingenuous.

And in what world would Charlie Strong be a home run? His first power-5 gig is a disaster, like a big time disaster. He's been incredibly bad. I'm not interested in Texas trash heap coaches.

Advertisement

My guess is no. We'll end up with Butch, which is a safe, lazy hire. The masses will be overjoyed until we go 7-5 next year.

7-5?

Quit. Just quit it.

I think it is completely delusional to assume that a guy who only won double digits once in his career is going to come to Miami and instantly turn the team into a winner.

Give him four years to recruit and develop and you might get there, but having seen Butch work before I think its crazy to think he is suddenly going to be a totally different coach at age 63.

You look at one number.

Five.

Not realizing that this single number is the average of twenty six other numbers. You never bother looking at what it took to come up with that number, because snot rags don't EVER invest any time considering all conditions and variables.

I was at the U when Butch was hired. I followed him with the Browns and at UNC. It is a historical fact that he has had one double digit winning season in his entire career. It took him 6 years to do that.

It is also a fact that while he went 9-7 in his second season with Cleveland, he followed that up with a 5-11 and 3-8 season.

I don't care about NFL draft picks. Golden had 7 last year. Shannon had a ton. Coker had a ton. The dirty little secret is that any coach with a bunch of Florida athletes will get a ton of kids drafted.

What Butch did for us in building the 2001 team was great. But his career has proven that he's not a guy that will win big quickly. Making him out to be something his isn't is disingenuous.

And don't forget one of the biggest choke jobs in his one playoff appearance. A choke job so bad Bruce Arians still rips him about it. Doing his typical conservative bs

LOL Strong as a home run? Mario needs to definitely be on this staff? WTF are you smoking? Is this a joke?

Not to mention the most ridiculous part you wrote regarding Butch and the 2001 team recruiting itself. LOL what?

7-5?

Quit. Just quit it.

You look at one number.

Five.

I got us going 8-4 with Butch next year. Anyone expecting a quick turnaround will be highly disappointed. Coaches like Butch and Charlie Strong need time to get their players in and developed. Once they do they do well but it usually takes four to five years. It's why I wanted an offensive guru for HC. Quick turnaround and can build off that success. But maybe with a good OC and DC it will be. We shall see

Last edited:
Ken Dorsey is gonna be an NFL OC any minute now. I'd welcome him with a big old smile and a bigger boner if we somehow manage to convince him to downgrade to college for a couple years.

I love Dorsey, but his inexperience gives me pause. He's in line to be an NFL OC, but a) that doesn't mean he'll be good at it, and b) coaching in the NFL doesn't automatically mean you'll be good in college. There is a laundry list of guys who coached in the NFL and flopped in college. Butch's last OC (John Shoop) was an OC in the NFL, and he was terrible at UNC.

That said, Dorsey is a smart football junkie, and I think he'll figure it out. I just prefer an offensive head coach with a track record of implementing explosive offenses at the college level; sometimes NFL guys with deep knowledge of the game struggle with teaching 18-year-olds with limited practice time.

It's a roll of the dice with relatively minimal downside, and a ton of upside. Less downside than when we brought Fisch, I think, who many will note had briefly been an OC before his stint here, but had fumbled it a bit. Fans at his prior stop were happy to see him go.

We have to be ahead of the curve once. Just f'in once. Dorsey is a former advanced scout, football maniac, and has considerable experience (while playing and after) handling QBs and contributing to NFL offenses. Is it a perfect hire with no risk? Obviously not. But, it's one **** of a roll of the dice to get Dorsey as your college OC when he'll likely get a crack at NFL OC within 2 years.

Agree with this.

Fit is important, and I love pairing Kaaya with an NFL QB coach. He is an NFL QB. Kaaya will be applying the same concepts he's dealing with now, but at a more sophisticated level.

Do you think it's a great idea to hire an OC just to work with Kaaya for a year or two? Or would you like to hire the best possible guy overall for the program who can work with Kaaya and then work with whatever other style QB he wants to work with after that in order to score the most points?

I'm not sure that's what D$ meant, but he can answer for himself. It's sure as **** not what I meant by a year or two. I'm not sure why you're trying to make it seem like some of us are against Herman. I've questioned Herman. I've questioned Butch (just did so in a recent thread I started). I think they both have flaws and risks. I prefer Butch, very slightly, to Herman because I think he is more likely and a better overall fit - right now - than what I know from Herman's side. Doesn't mean some of us wouldn't be elated with Herman. In fact, and I can only speak for myself here, I think he's clearly the most intriguing coach of any name mentioned.

Advertisement

7-5?

Quit. Just quit it.

You look at one number.

Five.

I got us going 8-4 with Butch next year. Anyone expecting a quick turnaround will be highly disappointed. Coaches like Butch and Charlie Strong need time to get their players in and developed. Once they do they do well but it usually takes four to five years. It's why I wanted an offensive guru for HC. Quick turnaround and can build off that success. But maybe with a good OC and DC it will be. We shall see

I'd love to know what 4 teams we lose to with our easy schedule next year. Notre Dame is our only good nonconference game and Clemson won't be on the schedule. Butch has always needed time to win but he has always came at the start of a rebuilding process. Canes were dead when he got here and UNC was coming off a two win season. He'd win no less than 10.

LOL

This can't be real life!

This is really coming down to South Florida high school coaches and kids all wanting wanting a position coach who was 27-47 during his time as a HC in the Sunbelt conference, and was fired in year 6 of his tenure ... versus ... Old school fans who want a 65 year old (how old he'll be next season) to be the HC, after he's been out of college coaching for 5 years, posted successive 8-5 records, and never finished better than 3rd place in the Coastal division.

Yeah ... It will be the AD or BoT fault when this goes sideways.

Not the fans who act as if you can't coach at Miami unless you're previously played or coached here. Even though the winningest coaches in Miami history had no prior ties to the school, and 2 of the past 3 failed coaches both had significant ties to the program, and to South Florida.

Ca't make this stuff up ...

#MessageBoardLyfe

It's really mind boggling. Thanks for the post.... my setiments exactly.

Agree with this.

If the OC we hire is a stud, he's probably not going to be around too long. But what I said about Kaaya would also apply to Shireffs or Allison. They are pro-style QBs who should mesh well with pro-style tutoring.

Advertisement

Agree with this.

If the OC we hire is a stud, he's probably not going to be around too long. But what I said about Kaaya would also apply to Shireffs or Allison. They are pro-style QBs who should mesh well with pro-style tutoring.

Who's gonna tutor them when Dorsey leaves for the NFL in a year or two? Butch gonna bring in Shoop or Coker?

Agree with this.

Who's gonna tutor them when Dorsey leaves for the NFL in a year or two? Butch gonna bring in Shoop or Coker?

What about the other stud assistants Butch has brought in? His overall record in building staffs is very good.

7-5?

Quit. Just quit it.

You look at one number.

Five.

You got ****.

That's what you got.

And **** your offensive guru HC.

In your skewed world, is he going to HC or be the Coordinator?

Advertisement
Back