Does football really require skill to play?

Sports that take the most refinement and skills and are the hardest to just jump into and compete.

1. Baseball
2. Basketball
3. Soccer
4. Football

First off, hockey would be number 1 on that list.

Soccer is not the easiest to just jump in and play?

It's the only sport in the world where you roll a ball into the middle of the field and within 5 mins you have a game going with 4 and 5 year olds. Also, grown women all across the country are playing it. What does that tell you?

If you have 6 people you can go and 2 hand touch football, **** you can play tackle without pads with 6 people.

What does that tell you?

Advertisement
Typical ignorant American comment

Football is king yet soccer is played in every single country in the world while football is essentially isolated to the US

Not directly related to what you're saying, but I just wanted to say for good measure: If the United States suddenly decided soccer was its favorite sport, we would be the best in the world at it within a decade. No nation around could match the US in terms of depth or variety of capable athletes.

Again, I'd argue that hockey is the one sport that does require "skill" to play, considering most people don't know how to skate. If you can't skate, it's not possible to play this particular sport... On the other hand, pretty much everybody can run or walk, which is what's fundamentally required for almost every other sport.

Nothing requires any skill to play. Period. Nothing. I could go stumble around on skates with a stick and be "playing" hockey.

WORDS MEAN THINGS. They have definitions. It is important to understand that fact.

To play it well or excel at anything requires varying degrees of skill. Yes I would agree with that.

Without having skated at least a handful of times (i.e. practicing or refining that particular "skill") I guarantee that you would not even be able to "stumble around on skates with a stick." Instead, you would step on the ice, fall on your ***, and fail to be able to get up and move more than a few inches, if that, before falling again.

We are taught from birth to walk and run. It's a natural thing, and therefore wouldn't be considered a "skill" needed to be learned for any given sport or activity. Taking it one step further, one could even argue that throwing something (a ball, car keys, a flashlight, whatever) is something that everyone eventually "learns" how to do because it is somewhat of a natural movement.

I still stand by my argument that skating, on the other hand, is a specified skill that is learned for a particular sport or activity, and not "natural" by any means.

If you've never thrown, caught or carried a football with full pads on in a game you really have no clue to the skill required in "tackle football". It's as much as being able to walk and run as hockey is being able to swing a stick on skates.

Bottom line is ain't a **** one of us here cheering for a btich *** hockey team, or a soccer team, or any of that faqqoty stuff.

There's a reason football is king.

Football is king yet soccer is played in every single country in the world while football is essentially isolated to the US

If soccer is sofaking great why are you on the Canes football board?

Soccer is a women's sport. It's basketball with your feet.

Once again for clarification. We are on a football board right? That's because none of us gives a fvck about soccer. Cause its ***.

Nothing requires skill to play.

Everything requires skill to excel at.

Stupid thread is bout as dumb as it gets.

Again, I'd argue that hockey is the one sport that does require "skill" to play, considering most people don't know how to skate. If you can't skate, it's not possible to play this particular sport... On the other hand, pretty much everybody can run or walk, which is what's fundamentally required for almost every other sport.

Nothing requires any skill to play. Period. Nothing. I could go stumble around on skates with a stick and be "playing" hockey.

WORDS MEAN THINGS. They have definitions. It is important to understand that fact.

To play it well or excel at anything requires varying degrees of skill. Yes I would agree with that.

Without having skated at least a handful of times (i.e. practicing or refining that particular "skill") I guarantee that you would not even be able to "stumble around on skates with a stick." Instead, you would step on the ice, fall on your ***, and fail to be able to get up and move more than a few inches, if that, before falling again.

We are taught from birth to walk and run. It's a natural thing, and therefore wouldn't be considered a "skill" needed to be learned for any given sport or activity. Taking it one step further, one could even argue that throwing something (a ball, car keys, a flashlight, whatever) is something that everyone eventually "learns" how to do because it is somewhat of a natural movement.

I still stand by my argument that skating, on the other hand, is a specified skill that is learned for a particular sport or activity, and not "natural" by any means.

If you've never thrown, caught or carried a football with full pads on in a game you really have no clue to the skill required in "tackle football". It's as much as being able to walk and run as hockey is being able to swing a stick on skates.

Bottom line is ain't a **** one of us here cheering for a btich *** hockey team, or a soccer team, or any of that faqqoty stuff.

I never played or practiced football in my entire life until I got to high school, and I once there I "played" my freshman year on the JV team. No, I wasn't any good and didn't really play that much, but yes I was able to run around on the field and tackle somebody occasionally, as well as participate fully in every practice.

Again - there is NO WAY that 95% of the "average" people you come across could do or say the same about hockey. Without having the SKILL to skate, it would not be possible to even participate in 10% of a single practice, let alone play in a game (or pickup at the local rink/pond, etc).

Advertisement

Once again for clarification. We are on a football board right? That's because none of us gives a fvck about soccer. Cause its ***.

Called enjoying more than 1 sport, or is that somewhat a bad thing in your ignorant mind

Soccer is ***, yet football is so manly because they essentially rugby but with pads....

Who cares if it's played around the world. football requires just as much skill or more than sorry *** soccer. Of all the sports I played soccer was the easiest. Like I said before, had it not been for real sports like football and track taking up my time I would have easily earned a soccer
Scholly

Funny thing about this thread is you have guys who haven't played both sports sitting saying one requires more skill than the other. One guy claimed since he got picked up in a flag football tourney that prolly had women in it and kids handicapped people etc ....that to him meant football was easy lol.

I'm willing to bet that the people on here claiming football requires the less skill sucked at football. How m ay super athletic people play soccer these days anyways? Or anyway for that matter? Most inferior athletes play soccer. Your best athletes are playing more athletically inclined sports like football and basketball.

Soccer is t all that big in America. Even with that fact some 14 year old made the Olympic team a few years back. If more people cared about the sport no doubt it would happen more often.

Called enjoying more than 1 sport, or is that somewhat a bad thing in your ignorant mind

Soccer is ***, yet football is so manly because they essentially rugby but with pads....

Only with much more explosive athletes.

It's cause they suck at football. I had friends who played college hockey and soccer. They sucked at every other sport. Had no skills whatsoever.

Advertisement
There are some really good athletes in rugby. Pads, no pads… They are different sports. Football is much more interested in yards, and inches. Rugby doesn't care about that. You can pull a ball carrier to your side side to tackle and it does not matter. pads are not as important.

Who cares if it's played around the world. football requires just as much skill or more than sorry *** soccer. Of all the sports I played soccer was the easiest. Like I said before, had it not been for real sports like football and track taking up my time I would have easily earned a soccer
Scholly

Funny thing about this thread is you have guys who haven't played both sports sitting saying one requires more skill than the other. One guy claimed since he got picked up in a flag football tourney that prolly had women in it and kids handicapped people etc ....that to him meant football was easy lol.

I'm willing to bet that the people on here claiming football requires the less skill sucked at football. How m ay super athletic people play soccer these days anyways? Or anyway for that matter? Most inferior athletes play soccer. Your best athletes are playing more athletically inclined sports like football and basketball.

Soccer is t all that big in America. Even with that fact some 14 year old made the Olympic team a few years back. If more people cared about the sport no doubt it would happen more often.

Ronaldo isn't athletic? Messi isn't athletic? Ronaldinho wasn't athletic? List keeps going

The fact that you found soccer "easy" and you felt you could have earned a scholarship is great...whats that have to do with playing it at the highest level? I'm sure plenty of people can be good enough at football to play at some **** *** D3 football school. American college soccer is a joke. Any soccer player who has shown potential is being picked up by a club team at a very young age. No half decent soccer player is going to college. Thanks for showing your ignorance. And please name the soccer player who at 14 made the US Olympic team, I'll be waiting a long time for that.

Answer this, does football take more skill than hockey or tennis?

Height - Basketball: grade A (mandatory with very few exceptions for elite point guards); Football: grade C (players of almost any height can specialize in any position, megget, sanders, flutie, and tons of other); Soccer, Baseball, Hockey: grade C (almost any size, although tall players over 6'6" will struggle with agility).

Speed - Soccer and Football: A critical for almost all positions (except goalie and defense in soccer, and QB and OL); Baseball, Hockey, Basketball C - average importance.

Weight/Mass- Football - A. Baseball, Soccer, Basketball, Hockey: C-, (heavy weight usually discouraged for various reasons distinct in some ways to each sport).

Physical Overall Strength- Football: A + (obviously every position [except kickers] regardless of weight, must have great strength for their weight). Basketball: B. Hockey: B. Soccer C-.

Hand Eye Coordination - Soccer: A+ (try heading a 40 yard pass on a dime on a specific sq. inch of your forehead to angle the ball at a 20* into the coroner of the net from 20 yard out over an outstretched 6'5 keeper. Then try to figure out how hard it is to head the ball just 2 yards over the bar on the same play (which is what happens 50% of the time). Baseball: A (try hitting an 80 mph slider and intentionally dropping it in center field or hitting the gap). Hockey: B (it's not easy passing that thing lightening fast, even once you've mastered how to skate). Football and Basketball: C (catching a ball, even while running on full sprint, is not that difficult to do even when thrown as hard as the pros- and they throw the hardest of anyone).

Total Field perception - Soccer A+ (every player on the field should be able to see, and play, essentially the entire field at any given time, and make tight passes at any time with a flick of the foot, head, etc.). Hockey: B+ (almost like soccer, but much tighter field to view). Basketball: B (close field to view, but have to make tight traffic passes). Football: C (occasionally important to some players, and to some degree to most players for at least the for 10 yards in front of them. The exception is kick returners and QBs, both of which should have heads on swivel). Baseball:D- (rarely do players have to look at more than one or two locations in the same 3 second period).

Depth perception - Soccer: A+ (again, knowing the angle to place your foot, and whether use instep, outside of foot, dorsal strike, or heel/ankle on a pass, or shot in close quarters, greatly exceeds any other sports requirements to perceive depth at a given instant - except for a batter). Baseball: A (also important to all positions fielding ball, but really only the batter requires extreme concentration during very specific, anticipated, milliseconds). Hockey: B+ (again very fast moving ; stick position and control, reaction critical). Baseball: B (it's very hard to grade this one. Obviously if you are a pure shooter, you need great depth perception, but otherwise, you can have average perception, and still hit a reasonable % of shots). Football: C (I mean you have to be able to perceive where the ball is in the air, at any position, but really, unless you are flying through the air as a WR on a deep, well-covered route, you really only need average human depth perception).

Intangibles (heart, courage, sheer determination, and other BS you hear from media) - don't know what this Sh-- means, bit I imagine a pi--ed off DT is going to cause a **** of a lot more damage than a pansy striker who throws himself down in the box in the 90 minute (although the latter actually has a much better chance of drawing a chance on goal). Everything else is also a wash. Occasionally a player hits a streak, but they are by definition unpredictable. Jordan might be the one consistent exception. MJ could turn it on whenever he wanted. Every sport has players with sheer will, great crunch time presence, or "another gear", but that is more about the individual, not what sport they play.

Irony= Individuals who frequent a football discussion forum and argue how another sport is better than football.

I fckn LOVE this place!

Advertisement

Canedaynasty is the reason why so many people think Americans are so ignorant.

1st off if anybody thinks soccer takes no skill has never played a team organized sport (above little league ).

2nd, and this goes through so many levels of stupidity: People are on here because they are Cane fans, but they can still, and a lot do, like other sports. Someone here being here does not mean they are solely football fans.

Now one of the biggest reason why football in so popular and soccer never really took off is because of point scoring and football is fast paced. Americans do not like low scoring, drag it out games. That is also why baseball has declined. And another reason why the NFL put so many rules against the defense.

It's also funny, ironic that ignorant Americans think soccer is *** (for whatever moronic reason)
When a lot of people around the world, especially rugby fans think football is *** because they use pads.

Last edited:

1st off if anybody thinks soccer takes no skill has never played a team organized sport (above little league ).

2nd, and this goes through so many levels of stupidity: People are on here because they are Cane fans, but they can still, and a lot do, like other sports. Someone here being here does not mean they are solely football fans.

Now one of the biggest reason why football in so popular and soccer never really took off is because of point scoring and football is fast paced. Americans do like low scoring, drag it out games. That is also why baseball has declined. And another reason why the NFL put so many rules against the defense.

It's also funny, ironic that ignorant Americans think soccer is *** (for whatever moronic reason)
When a lot of people around the world, especially rugby fans think football is *** because they use pads.

Tell those guys to put them pads on and step onto the field then.

Football has to use pads. If it weren't for pads guys would die. The athletes are simply too large, too fast and too explosive.

Advertisement

Now one of the biggest reason why football in so popular and soccer never really took off is because of point scoring and football is fast paced. Americans do like low scoring, drag it out games. That is also why baseball has declined. And another reason why the NFL put so many rules against the defense.

Football has to use pads. If it weren't for pads guys would die. The athletes are simply too large, too fast and too explosive.
I guess you didn't get the point what I was saying in pointing out ignorance. Just like thinking soccer is *** or women sport so is thinking football is *** because of pads. And to play devil's advocate football for about 90-99% of its existence has always worn pads. but to my original point I was just pointing out ignorance

I guess you didn't get the point what I was saying in pointing out ignorance. Just like thinking soccer is *** or women sport so is thinking football is *** because of pads. And to play devil's advocate football for about 90-99% of its existence has always worn pads. but to my original point I was just pointing out ignorance

My bad, you're right. I get what you're saying.

Irony= Individuals who frequent a football discussion forum and argue how another sport is better than football.

I fckn LOVE this place!

Name one post that said soccer is a better sport? Name one please. Saying a sport takes more skill doesn't mean someone says that sport is better or not

But then again you spend your life on this board, maybe you should go out and experience the world and its many cultures

Nothing requires skill to play.

Everything requires skill to excel at.

Stupid thread is bout as dumb as it gets.

Ignorance...

Football is king in the U.S. Not in the rest of the world. Of course it requires skill...lots of it, but you cannot refute the fact that people can pick up and play this game at its highest level with minimal training. In sports like hockey and soccer you cannot. Its that simple. That's all people are saying.

Advertisement
Back